Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Divorce  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
LudwigvanSim

I was just wondering how the game handled divorce? Believe it or not, it never happened when I was playing Sims 2; I just recall in Sims 1, it required a fight, and then the divorced Sim would effectively be booted out of the game.

So how does it work in 3? Is it similar to the 'break up' option you have with relationships, and what happens with the divorced Sims? Do they move out/go in the bin/disappear?

Also, just one thought. If they move into the bin, do they take an amount of money with them? Otherwise they're not going to be able to buy another house...
JakeJack05

If I remember correctly, then you do use the Break Up option and you have to kick the Sim out on your own.
SharkloverPlayer

In sims 3 you don't have to have them fight.Just look under the mean interaction and breakup is there.Once they divorce they still don't move out you have to move them out.Occasionally with story progression sims will divorce when your plaing other families if they meet someone else but this is rare and it rarely happens.

Divorced sims get some money especially if you kick them out on the pc.
sunshinetwo

The break up option is divorce... I think. If you "Break Up" (under "Mean"), they will now be your ex-Husband or ex-Wife.
You don't have to even have a fight, I don't think. It's just under the Mean bubble. You may need to be in a bad mood? I don't know.
The divorced sim just stays in your household. I don't think they take any money with them if you use the "Kick Out" option under "Move". That just moves them to any random lot.
I actually don't know how to put them back into the bin, besides maybe making a copy of them to the bin.
Sorry, I hope I helped, but here is my two cents! Learning every day!
LudwigvanSim

Many thanks for that. I wonder if it also changes their name back to what it was - if they are a woman...
SharkloverPlayer

Also if the sim is having an affair the sims she is having an affair with can ask her to breakup with her husband and automatically they are divorced but if she sees him again he's very angry with her and the one that asked her to divorce him.

The break up option also works with going steady couples.With romantic interest(puppylove crushes)you have the ask to just be friends option.There name doesn't change when their divorced but you can take them to the courthouse and change the last name.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/11/09 05:09 PM

VexingQuery

"Break Up" is always an option under the Mean category - good mood, bad mood, strong relationship or weak. A sim trying to seduce a taken lover can also use the "ask to break up with _____" interaction after a sufficient amount of friendly/romantic interactions. If the lover agrees, they will immediately break it off with their partner without any fuss. The old partner will then become enemies with your sim.

The freshly-divorced sims will stay in the same house until (and unless) you choose who leaves and how they go about it. There's a few ways this can take place:

- If you just want to be rid of the ex, have them use their cellphone/computer to move and choose "kick out". They will take no funds with them, and be moved to a random empty house. Done.

- If you want to be more certain of where your ex ends up, you can buy them a new place with the existing household funds. They won't take any extra cash with them, just the amount necessary to purchase the new place.

- If you want to continue playing the sim that moves out (say, you're having someone run away with a new lover), you'll take the household funds with you as you go (and use them to buy your new home), leaving your ex with the house, but nothing in the bank.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/11/09 05:17 PM

Downloads and Simful Acts
LudwigvanSim

VexingQuery wrote:
- If you just want to be rid of the ex, have them use their cellphone/computer to move and choose "kick out". They will take no funds with them, and be moved to a random empty house. Done.

That's good. I wondered what would happen in this case, and if there was a way to do it without losing loads of money.

My Sim has married an idiot, you see, and needs to get rid of her

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/11/09 05:30 PM

JakeJack05

Haha. I know how that feels. That's why I'm trying to find the perfect wife for my son right now.
LudwigvanSim

JakeJack05 wrote:Haha. I know how that feels. That's why I'm trying to find the perfect wife for my son right now.

Quite, good genes are important

My Sim married Zelda Mae Langernak, for some reason. At first she seemed fun, but it has now dawned on me that she's a moron, cannot pay attention and gets in moods very easily. Hence why my Sim is already having an affair with Jamie Jolina - who he is a perfect match for.

Ahh, the brilliant real life-ness of the Sims
New_Roosterman

LudwigvanSim wrote:
JakeJack05 wrote:Haha. I know how that feels. That's why I'm trying to find the perfect wife for my son right now.

Quite, good genes are important

My Sim married Zelda Mae Langernak, for some reason. At first she seemed fun, but it has now dawned on me that she's a moron, cannot pay attention and gets in moods very easily. Hence why my Sim is already having an affair with Jamie Jolina - who he is a perfect match for.

Ahh, the brilliant real life-ness of the Sims

Zelda's traits are flirty, party animal, easily impressed, childish and green thumb. So in certain regards she does retain a very child like demeanour on life. If you want to get her in a good mood do a few "funny" interactions - she likes the make silly face one the most I've found.

Jamie on the other hand is flirty, genius, party animal, book worm and virtuoso. As such they can be very different. You will find Jamie like to spend a lot of time reading, listening to classical music and playing chess.

I know this as in my game my sim got involved with bothb when he found being married to Nancy Landgraab became too much, He started affairs with both of them, he evetually left Nancy. He wound up with Jamie because when hue was looking for a shoulder to cry on Zelda wouldn't come over whereas Jamie went straight over. Sorry, going off topic there.

I can tell you a few things about breaking up with your wife from dirct experience, some of which has already been covered:

1. You "divorce" them by selecting the "Break Up" option in the "Mean" menu when talking to the sim. The marriage will be over there and then. Relationship status will change to ex-wife.
2. Your "ex" will remain in your household unless you move them out.
3. Your "ex" will retain your surname if they took your surname when you married, it does not automatically evert to their maiden name. If you want them too, have them go to City Hall and change their name before you move them ojut of your houeshold.
4. When you break up, the one who got dumped gets a big -50 negative moodlet of "Broken Heart". This lasts for 2 days. Don't try any interactions with your ex during this time as they will more than likely lead to a negative reaction. However one they are over the broken heart, you will find the ex is still prone to "falling" for you.
5. You can covert the "ex-wife" back to a friend. After a few days of being divorced get together and just do repeated Friendly interactions without any other type in betweeen. eventually you will get a "Ask to Just be friends" option. Click on that and they will go from bein an "ex-wife" to a "friend". You can then be friends, or eventually make them a romantic interest again if the desire strikes you further down the road. This also applies to ex-girl/boy friends.
soft_locs

Thanks! I was wondering how to get my divorced sims to become friends again, especially since they have children. Each time I invite him over he says yes at first and then quickly changes his mind. It was a very nasty breakup during her early pregnancy and she just "lost it" when she found out he had another love interest (called his mother a llama, insulted him and the girlfriend in front of his son by an earlier relationship, fired him from his athletic career right before he hit the major leagues and could leave town, etc.). Anyway the twin girls are children now and should meet their father and hopefully develop a relationship. He has the Family Oriented modlet which is good and bad since he was busy getting the entire town pregnant. The bum!
ChloeStella

All these comments helped alot! Thanks guys!
I married this idiot and I wanted to get divorced.
Bebsie

HMM...

Anyone guessing...

What I'm thinking?

About the resurrection of threads?

RinaStarr

Once I played the Landgraabs, and when Malcolm grew up I made him start flirting with Bella Bachelor. I realized she was engaged to Mortimer Goth, so I made her call off the wedding. But Malcolm and Mortimer hate each other now, and Mortimer wants an affair. So much for what I planned

R.I.P Quxxn
I miss you too much to express in words.
You were a fantastic friend.

Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: