Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Zoo U Course: Guest lecturer: Ruthless_KK! (Roofing Lessons plus Post Your Roof Questions)  XML
Forum Index » Creative Corner
Author Message
ruthless_kk


Joined: 06/01/09 11:48 PM
Messages: 3776
Offline

I am having some technical dificulties with photobucket and my computer in general this morning....working to resolve it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/12 05:27 PM


Profile
ZooProfessor3


Joined: 12/19/09 04:38 AM
Messages: 9708
Online

priscapup wrote:I know I'm cutting this really close, but is it too late to Register Me for lesson 2?

I understand if it is, and will always follow along afterwards with the links!

Thank you!


You are right on time!

I'll add you to the class roster right now and Welcome to Zoo U!





Profile
ZooProfessor3


Joined: 12/19/09 04:38 AM
Messages: 9708
Online

Ruthy,

Photobucket drives me crazy when it doesn't want to play right! We've all been there. You started posting early so most students have enough to keep them busy until you can get the technology to cooperate and let you post the rest of the lesson.

This is AWESOME stuff by the way! Love it!

Zoo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/12 05:41 PM






Profile
kc922


Joined: 06/20/09 06:20 PM
Messages: 162
Offline

Ok... not too sure about this one. I confess that I had to remove 2 of the floor tiles because I just couldn't get it to work for me.



Don't really like that bit but the seams do line up with the walls...


It was over the back stairs that I deleted the 2 floor tiles...








Any advice? Thanks!
Profile
ruthless_kk


Joined: 06/01/09 11:48 PM
Messages: 3776
Offline

HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job!

Profile
kc922


Joined: 06/20/09 06:20 PM
Messages: 162
Offline

ruthless_kk wrote:HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job!


Thanks Ruthy, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/12 08:06 PM

Profile
ruthless_kk


Joined: 06/01/09 11:48 PM
Messages: 3776
Offline

kc922 wrote:
ruthless_kk wrote:HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job!


Thanks Ruth, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket


LOL...I have been swearing worse than a sailor this morning because of photobucket. But I think I finally beat it into submission.

Here is the feedback I wanted to give you:

First: nothing at all wrong with deleting some things to get a roof to flow better. I do it all the time....to get a better shape or to get the roof to have a better shape. Good thinking on that! You should always leave yourself open to that as you work...which is why you want to do the exteriors before you start messing with placing interior stuff.

Secondly: There is a slight gap on the front roof section as it comes into the wall....kind of like this:



Yours is not that dramatic...I just wanted to make it very visible on my example. I suspect that is from the tool hitting the door or light in that room. I left those things in so that you might have to remember to delete them before roofing. I would just draw out that roof a little farther so that the edge meets the wall cleanly:



Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job and have a good grasp of the concept. Now you can mess with it and make it your own.

Profile
kc922


Joined: 06/20/09 06:20 PM
Messages: 162
Offline

ruthless_kk wrote:
kc922 wrote:
ruthless_kk wrote:HI Kc! I like what you did....you handled the bends of the wrap around very well. I have some feedback but I am still adding the rest of the victorian lesson ( curses to photobucket!!!!) so when I am done with that I can go into more detail. Just wanted to let you know I was here and that you are doing an excellent job!


Thanks Ruthy, looking forward to it. Good luck with photobucket


LOL...I have been swearing worse than a sailor this morning because of photobucket. But I think I finally beat it into submission.

Here is the feedback I wanted to give you:

First: nothing at all wrong with deleting some things to get a roof to flow better. I do it all the time....to get a better shape or to get the roof to have a better shape. Good thinking on that! You should always leave yourself open to that as you work...which is why you want to do the exteriors before you start messing with placing interior stuff.

Secondly: There is a slight gap on the front roof section as it comes into the wall....kind of like this:



Yours is not that dramatic...I just wanted to make it very visible on my example. I suspect that is from the tool hitting the door or light in that room. I left those things in so that you might have to remember to delete them before roofing. I would just draw out that roof a little farther so that the edge meets the wall cleanly:



Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job and have a good grasp of the concept. Now you can mess with it and make it your own.


It's funny, I did move the door but didn't think about the light I'll play around and see what I can do. Thanks again for the lesson and the feedback.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/12 08:07 PM

Profile
kc922


Joined: 06/20/09 06:20 PM
Messages: 162
Offline

ruthless_kk wrote:
kc922 wrote:
ruthless_kk wrote:
Secondly: There is a slight gap on the front roof section as it comes into the wall....kind of like this:



Yours is not that dramatic...I just wanted to make it very visible on my example. I suspect that is from the tool hitting the door or light in that room. I left those things in so that you might have to remember to delete them before roofing. I would just draw out that roof a little farther so that the edge meets the wall cleanly:



Other than that, I think you did a fantastic job and have a good grasp of the concept. Now you can mess with it and make it your own.


I think I've got it

Profile
ZooProfessor3


Joined: 12/19/09 04:38 AM
Messages: 9708
Online

Great lesson, Ruthy!

I have been having problems (must be catching!) with my stupid Internet crashing every two minutes, and so sllllloooooowwww the rest of the time that... well, let's just say that the cussing at your house is likely similar to some language flying around here lately as well!

I have a few questions:

1. You wanted to do porches and Victorians and it looks like we got both of those today, so will there be a third lesson? Either way is entirely up to you!
2. We have our final exam (and you really wanted us to have a challenge, didn't you?) and I wanted to know if you wanted to answer questions on that, maybe instead of a formal class? Again, whatever you want is great.

I just want to know if I need to set up registration for a third class or if we need to let students know that they can post their final exam questions and results for your help and critique.

Thanks so much for doing this for us! I learned a lot and I know others have as well!

Zoo





Profile
kc922


Joined: 06/20/09 06:20 PM
Messages: 162
Offline

Quick question regarding the final exam... Is it just the roof we're doing or do you want us to do the full house, ie furnish, decorate and landscape?

Looks challenging for sure, thanks!
Profile
ZooProfessor3


Joined: 12/19/09 04:38 AM
Messages: 9708
Online

kc922 wrote:Quick question regarding the final exam... Is it just the roof we're doing or do you want us to do the full house, ie furnish, decorate and landscape?

Looks challenging for sure, thanks!


I'm pretty sure the final is just the roofing BUT I wouldn't waste a gorgeous Victorian shell from Ruthy!





Profile
dachshundsr4me


Joined: 06/03/09 05:24 AM
Messages: 182
Offline

register me

Thanks
Profile
MCarrington


Joined: 11/01/10 10:54 PM
Messages: 3
Offline

I tried to respond earlier, but I guess it didn't take. Anyway, thanks for posting this lesson on roofs! Ruthless, you do an excellent job explaining difficult stuff. Roofs have always frustrated me. I'm sure I'll have to re-read this a million times in the future so I hope it will be here for a while!
Profile
ruthless_kk


Joined: 06/01/09 11:48 PM
Messages: 3776
Offline

ZooProfessor3 wrote:Great lesson, Ruthy!

I have been having problems (must be catching!) with my stupid Internet crashing every two minutes, and so sllllloooooowwww the rest of the time that... well, let's just say that the cussing at your house is likely similar to some language flying around here lately as well!

I have a few questions:

1. You wanted to do porches and Victorians and it looks like we got both of those today, so will there be a third lesson? Either way is entirely up to you!
2. We have our final exam (and you really wanted us to have a challenge, didn't you?) and I wanted to know if you wanted to answer questions on that, maybe instead of a formal class? Again, whatever you want is great.

I just want to know if I need to set up registration for a third class or if we need to let students know that they can post their final exam questions and results for your help and critique.

Thanks so much for doing this for us! I learned a lot and I know others have as well!

Zoo


Zoo,

I was not planning on doing a third formal "class" per se. Next weekend my daughter comes home from Uni ( she hasnt been home since Christmas) and I am so excited and looking forward to seeing her and NOT being on the computer much....or at least not enough to set aside a specific time.

So...what I would like to do is just offer up the thread as an on-going Q and A session. Anyone who finds it can ask ask as they go along and I will pop in and answer questions and post pix for examples and such. That way anyone who finds the thread can work at own pace and still get the info...and the questions are great because they probably cover things other people are wondering too.

How does that sound?

Profile
 
Forum Index » Creative Corner
Go to: