Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Error code 16 workarounds  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
SimSassybree

First off I want to remind everyone to backup before you boot up any new patch/ep

Secondly if you do get error code 16 and dont have a backup, dont panic.
Go to your sims 3 save file which for windows users is in the documents file.
Delete the two folders (one will be a .bad file) then rename your .sims3.legacy file to .sims3 and you are good to go. *edited* This is intended for pretty much just getting your pre patch save back. Look further down for a demo.

To prevent this error (hopefully wont be needed for long), instead of simply saving you need to "save as". *edited* People are having trouble overwriting so I suggest to "save as" something new everytime. If a save works you can delete older ones if you aquire too many.

*edited* Apparently it is the .sims3.backup file that causes the error (you can't have more than one file with the same name even when one is a folder). So if you remove the backup from the file (you can delete if you want or simply move it to be in a safe file). Then you will be able to save as normal, but I have heard that some have had problems with new files with no .backup file so you might want to continue using "save as" for the time being but if you happen to accidentally hit save you wont ruin your progress.

I doubt this will solve everyones problems, but if you have anymore workarounds post them.

*edit* I thought I would add a demo on what the files should look like and what they shouldnt.

The File path (thanks to GommeInc) is
Documents or My Documents - Electronic Arts - The Sims 3 - Saves

In a good file if you have one save and no backup since the patch/ep you will get:

(folder) Sunset Valley.sims3
Sunset Valley.sims3.legacy LEGACY File
Sunset Valley.sims3.backup BACKUP File

or if you get rid of the Backup file and make a new backup it will look like:

(folder) Sunset Valley.sims3.backup
Sunset Valley.sims3.legacy LEGACY File

in the folder(s) there should be:
1a5tf1l3.dat DAT File
Meta.data DATA File
Sunset Valley_0x085db3c.nhd NHD File
Sunset Valley_0x085db3cExportDB.package PACKAGE File
TravelDB.package PACKAGE File

When you go on vacation you will get an NHD and Package File for each place

For a bad File you will get:

(folder) Sunset Valley.sims3.bad
Sunset Valley.sims3.legacy
Sunset Valley.sims3.backup

In both folders you will get:
Sunset Valley_0x085db3c.nhd NHD File
Sunset Valley_0x085db3cExportDB.package PACKAGE File
TravelDB.package PACKAGE File

As you can see the regular save file has had some deletion and therefore will not work. You must delete both folders. But looking at the legacy and backup files they are the same saves that were made the time before the patch and the time before that. They will revert you but they will safeguard your familys. All you have to do is rename the .sims3.legacy file to .sims3

Sorry about all the edits, just checking other posts to see if I can add anything useful

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at 11/19/09 12:53 AM

Coby

SimSassybree wrote:First off I want to remind everyone to backup before you boot up any new patch/ep

Delete the two files that are actual files (one will be a .bad file). then rename your .sims3.legacy file to .sims3 and you are good to go.

To prevent this error (hopefully wont be needed for long), instead of simply saving you need to "save as" something new for every new save.

I doubt this will solve everyones problems, but if you have anymore workarounds post them.

I was able to use the same name and overwrite with no problems, just letting you know so you don't have like 5 different saves.

"There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today." -Lex Luthor (Smallville)
SimSassybree

good to know, ty Coby
blunote00

Location:Council Bluffs, IA. - Originally from the south.☺ I've worked in IT 27+yrs & ♥ ♪Jazz♪

Good to see a workaround thread. But also pretty sad there needs to be one in the first place.

I just tested this both ways and after about 25 restarts of my game all I can say is that it's intermittent. Works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Not only does this occur on trying to save but when you try to change households.

When you restart your game whichever way you save it, you still have to restart the game from the beginning. However, I didn't receive the error code 16 as much if I used save as.

If you change households try the above. When you restart your game, the household you're trying to switch to will load in the game.

What a nightmare! I get paid to do this at work but at 2:24 in the morning... This is the kind of stuff that's supposed to be tested "before" a release.

What an absolute mess!

At my age competence is a turn on!
♥No longer offering Tech Support!♥
Coby

I would imagine we will see a fix by tomorrow... hopefully or at least some announcement.

"There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today." -Lex Luthor (Smallville)
Coby

Bump... lets try to keep this page up front to help those with error 16.

Dorcam233

SimSassybree wrote:First off I want to remind everyone to backup before you boot up any new patch/ep

Delete the two files that are actual files (one will be a .bad file). then rename your .sims3.legacy file to .sims3 and you are good to go.

To prevent this error (hopefully wont be needed for long), instead of simply saving you need to "save as". *edited*

I did what you said, but still have problems, do I have to uninstall and reinstall it?
jujee55

This has helped me to get my original game back but I can no longer save the game. I played for 1 hour last night after patching and all is lost.
Dorcam233

jujee55 wrote:This has helped me to get my original game back but I can no longer save the game. I played for 1 hour last night after patching and all is lost.

Same happened to me after patching I cannot save
BlueGenes

To prevent this error (hopefully wont be needed for long), instead of simply saving you need to "save as". *edited*

Thanks; this solved my problem and I was able to recover my Sims. I think I'll wait till EA addresses this problem before I play again, though - just to be on the safe side.
crinrict

Way to go EA. I started a new game for testing purposes and that works well.

Maybe to all that have the patch and want to play anyways, try starting a new game and just keep your old one until EA comes up with another patch.

It seems every time they have a new patch, one needs to start a new game.

worsiedog

I noticed in the save files that it is now saving the game as a folder? Is that right?

I have the game I tried to save when getting code16 as well as the bad.backup file appearing as folders in the save folder. There are 5 files in the folder.

I am too nervous to play now

*edit* I do not even have a code 16 error explanation in my readme. file

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/17/09 12:05 PM

Dorcam233

crinrict wrote:Way to go EA. I started a new game for testing purposes and that works well.

Maybe to all that have the patch and want to play anyways, try starting a new game and just keep your old one until EA comes up with another patch.

It seems every time they have a new patch, one needs to start a new game.

starting a new game didn't solve it either
jafo88fan

I am so glad I saw this thread. I came home from work and played a little and couldn't save my legacy. My brain isn't working right now but it looks like I might have created an unnecessary save and can delete the old one. I'll look at it after I wake up.

I'm just glad I didn't lose my entire legacy over this. Or at least I hope I haven't lost them.
khezz1978

I think im in the right place for this sorry if im not. First of im a complete pc noob so please bear with me.

I was playing my sim an hour ago, went to close the game & "saved as S-wa" which did save. Then i went to "save & quit" which is when i got the save error 16. Tried to "save & quit" once agian & got the error 16 again, so i just "quit". Went to my saved game folder (to the rename of one of the files to get the game to work - which happened months ago & worked) but when i opened the save game folder there was 1 file called S-wa.sims3.backup & 2 folders(!?!)1 called S-wa.sims3 & 1 called S-wa.sims3.bad

So two questions Q1. Where have the folders come from?
Q2. Can anyone tell me how to get my saved game back?

Thanks for any help & sorry it's long winded.

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: