Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Unknown Error Occurred after updating game when opening launcher  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussion (EN)
thatsthebest17

Please help! I installed my Sims 3 game and updated it, but when I tried to open the launcher, a message popped up saying "unknown error occurred". I have restarted my computer with no luck. And uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it without the update, but was unable to download or play the game without it. I was forced to install the update, but when I did try to open the launcher, as stated above, the "unknown error occurred" message popped up. Please help, I am very frustrated!! By the way, I use a Mac OSX if that helps....
lalachick87

it happened to me too, PLEASE HELP
aprilthoughts

The exact same thing is happening to me as well!
Skipqueen04

The same thing happened to me and I submitted my question to EA last night. Hopefully I'll get a solution soon and will post it! This sucks!
Skipqueen04

I found another forum that was similiar and it helped! First I copied and saved the folder for Sims 3 (Documents>EA>Sims 3) so I could have my saved games. Then I deleted the Sims 3 and reinstalled it. Then I did this:
Before you attempt any updates, try these steps to see if it helps with your patching issue.

Steps:
1. Open Macintosh HD
2. Open the Library folder
3. Open Preferences
4. Once in that Preferences folder you will want to move "The Sims 3 Preferences" as well as any "com.transgaming" and "ipatcher" files you find to the trash.
5. Empty your trash

After that, launch your game, do the update and it works!

Hope this helps
lalachick87

Skipqueen04 wrote:I 3. Open Preferences
4. Once in that Preferences folder you will want to move "The Sims 3 Preferences" as well as any "com.transgaming" and "ipatcher" files you find to the trash.
5. Empty your trash

I don't see any of those files!!

Jenhen

I'm having the same problem. Did anyone find a solution? I really need help.
Kymosabe

My launcher broke just after patching. I followed Skipqueen04's advice and didn't find those files either, but then I had a look in my own directory and found them there. Try this:

Steps:
1. Open Macintosh HD
2. Open the Users folder
3. Open your home folder (it'll be named whatever your username is)
4. Open the Library folder
5. Open Preferences
6. Once in that Preferences folder you will want to move "The Sims 3 Preferences" as well as any "com.transgaming" and "ipatcher" files you find to the trash.
7. Empty your trash

Thanks Skip Now if only I could get my custom content working again...

(edit: html fail)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/27/09 07:29 AM

lalachick87

THANKS SO MUCH!
LauraHunter

i did this and it does work but than the next time i have to do it all over again because the unknown error box pops up again. ever since i downloaded sims 3 adventures my game has been ******* messed. i'm soooo ****** off about this. i never swear and that's how ****** i am about this.
stephfk5

Hi, same problem with my game- i am very upset with EA games and I will not waste time and money on their games any longer if they continue to crash. I find it pathetic that they put these games in the market and then the consumer has to download all these f****** patches. If someone has a answer to this problem, please inform the rest of us.

Thank you.
dneelo

I found a file in the the user preferences that i removed and it fixed my problem. Not sure if it will fix yours but anything that helps I guess. If you navigate to your user prefs under user/library/preferences/the sims 3 preferences. User = your home folder name. (the little house icon on the left sidebar of the finder.) There are alot of files inside this folder but the only one you need to delete is system.reg Once I deleted this file it began to work again without reinstalling. Something has obviously corrupted this registry file. Try moving it out of that folder before deleting in case it doesn't fix you issue. Hope this helps you guys.
zazza32

I can confirm that dneelo's fix worked for me too! I simply deleted <user>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences/system.reg after installing the update over the internet, and the game worked without having to reinstall it.

Thanks dneelo!
ladsonn

whenever i delete it and try to open the launcher, it just recreates the folder. this is so aggravating. i don't know that to do.
neilegni

Bumping this thread because I'm having this same problem. I tried everything suggested above to no avail; still can't get my game to launch and "an error has occurred" shows up every time. Any other ideas?

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussion (EN)
Go to: