Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Showcasing Your Lots Workshop III  XML
Forum Index » Creative Corner
kquinn1990

Does any body know why I can't get back into windowed mode? I have the despot showing since i installed a new store item through the game windowed mode but I can't get back.

Plus the game is not feozen or anything. Also I can't see the whole screen in windowed mode so I can't save what I'm building.

Any ideas on what to do?
kquinn1990

I figured it out, never mind.
calmorezoo

fidlerten , thank you for the comment on my build and thanks for oepning the pic's but i tend to leave them clickable to prevent lag on the forum.

yes i am thinking of giving in and start using image changer for my exchange cover shots.

Re; the lack of decor this lot was for a request and the person that requested it wanted it left mainly with blank walls for ther sim to put up their own art work. I was also limited with the eps and no stuff packs.

I am However very much a clutter free builder, which many simmer like as they can add those personal touches for their sims.

The flooring well theres wood everywhere bar the bedrooms carpet makes them a little more cozy.

Sierra24

fidlertenbe wrote:
Sierra,

The house looks very nice. It reminds me of some of my earlier builds, especially in TS2.

I do have a few suggestions. I don't have much to add to the idea of making it more horse friendly but the backyard seems well set up with a racing track, which should be efficient enough for your horses. Still, you should always play test your houses anyway to find out if everything works fine for all your sims, including the horse sims.

Now as far as decorating your yard; I think you've got quite enough as I can see and you don't want to overdo it. When it comes to grass terrain paint, builders usually use two or three different grass terrains to get a more natural look to it. I don't think the stripes work that well as it looks too neat and not that natural. I would use terrain paints in a very random type of way and just put spots of different grasses randomly across the yard.

I also suggest using a dirt terrain for your horse track in back instead of grass. For one thing, if you actually have horses running that track, the grass is going to disappear and wear down to just dirt. So try to design a naturally trodden path for that track.

I like the design of the house and the set up; you did a great job wit that. I also like to do the landscaping of a house before decorating the interior, though I do think it's a wise thing to do the room division inside so you know that the windows all work well with the walls in the interior.

Very nice work and I hope to see more from you in the future. Also, are you going to do the interior? It's a big job I know but I think it's a great idea to finish.

fidlerten

Hi Fidlerten,

Thanks for the informative advice and compliments.

I'm playingtesting the lot with a small family of two adults, a child and a horse living in the lot at the moment so that's always good advise.

As for the decorating the lot, I should of told you this is actually an equestrian estate and not an actual ranch. That's my fault. I didn't know you are so observant and catch other things. I'll try to be more specific next time. The informations you mention are pretty much dead-on about how to decorate a ranch. I wish I came to you when I built my first ranch last year when Pets came out. It took me 2 weeks of staring at that ranch to realize the suggestions you mention. And in that ranch, I did have a dirt track and a front lawn how you described.

I'm gonna take your advise and stop adding more decorations to the outside and just finish up painting various items that haven't been touched yet. As for the inside, I've started working on it 2 nights ago and might post some photos next week for advise.

Thanks,

Sierra
fidlerten

kquinn1990 wrote:I figured it out, never mind.

Glad to hear it.

fidlerten

kquinn1990

Here is a quick house I started, and I think it's finished. Here is the exterior and interior.

Night shot:

Pool:

Floor plan:

Living room:

Master bedroom:

Kitchen:

What color should I paint the patio furniture out side? I don't care for the one the game gave it, any suggestions?
fidlerten

kquinn1990 wrote:Here is a quick house I started, and I think it's finished. Here is the exterior and interior.

What color should I paint the patio furniture out side? I don't care for the one the game gave it, any suggestions?

kquinn,

As far as the color of the furniture outside, I'm not sure. I think you should find a different style; the wood on wood doesn't work that well together.

The architecture is interesting and unique. I think you should find another type of steps, something between traditional and modern.

Interior; I like the idea of the floor design in the living room but I do think you should continue the design in the middle of the sitting area into carpet instead of wood and make a complete separation from the rest of the flooring.

Bedroom; I don't care for either the checkered bed or the busy wall covering. You might think about experimenting with something else. On top of that, they both clash with each other.

Very interesting project and now I know what a "Quick House" looks like.

fidlerten

mschumann

Finished another room, "The Retreat," inspired by the original HGTV room

fidlerten

mschumann wrote:Finished another room, "The Retreat," inspired by the original HGTV room

Michael,

I do like the warm colors; my kind of colors.

The only thing I can suggest is to turn the wood floor the other direction so that it's going long ways with the room.

Nice work Michael.

fidlerten

TDC95

Location:At the palace of versailles having a 18th century themed masqurade party!

Sorry, It still looks awfully busy to me. Maybe another stone but one that's less smoky.

fidlerten

2 things
ok 1. In the 2nd post that was a fabric on the ceiling not another marble, and then the other was a ceiling mural.

and 2. Clearly you prefer modern, because baroque and rococo styles are supposed to be over the top in detail using rich patterns, tapestry's, murals, and marbles.

Everyone has their own opinion and preferences but to be honest i think im getting as authentic as the game allows me to be with the current content that has been created. another image though the marble is still very rich I am working on a 16th century Gothic Tudor lot and when its done ill post a picture

Happy simming!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/03/12 01:52 PM

Perhaps you want more historical content? Check out my blog where i upload my TS3 content http://regalsims.blogspot.com
fidlerten

TDC95 wrote:
Sorry, It still looks awfully busy to me. Maybe another stone but one that's less smoky.

fidlerten

2 things
ok 1. In the 2nd post that was a fabric on the ceiling not another marble, and then the other was a ceiling mural.

and 2. Clearly you prefer modern, because baroque and rococo styles are supposed to be over the top in detail using rich patterns, tapestry's, murals, and marbles.

Everyone has their own opinion and preferences but to be honest i think im getting as authentic as the game allows me to be with the current content that has been created. another image though the marble is still very rich I am working on a 16th century Gothic Tudor lot and when its done ill post a picture

Happy simming!

TDC95,

I can only give you my honest opinion. You don't have to agree with it and you're perfectly welcome to put it down to just taste as that might be the case. I suppose if there were others who would share their opinion on here too, then you'd get more than just my opinion.

Thing is; you can go anywhere you want and get nothing but praise from others if that's what you want, or you can come here and get an honest opinion, though you agree with it or not. Your choice.

fidlerten

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/04/12 01:52 PM

BryonyRae

TDC95 wrote:

fidlerten

2 things

Happy simming!

I have a spare minute, so I'll tackle this one. I'll preface it with I'm no expert on the styles prior to googling images of them a bit ago. From what I saw, you're right in that the ceilings are very ornate, but they had clearly defined patterns or images on them, and the material used was not busy, whereas the stone you're using is and would tend to overwhelm whatever design was on it. I think one of the pictures you posted before used an image on the ceiling, and that would work well. I think you might also experiment with some of the EA ceiling tile patterns and see if you can come up with a design using them.

TDC95

Location:At the palace of versailles having a 18th century themed masqurade party!

I have been using busy marbles in inspiration of Versailles. As you can see in this image's rich dark marble was used.

I have studied the 18th century for a few years now, im not here to claim im the master of these styles but you can not simply look at a few pictures and say this is how it is. There are many variations of rococo French Russian Austrian ect. Which all have their own twist on the style, while i agree that the ceilings shold have images on them, my ability is limited to the content i created. Even though i would love to make something like this Its not yet possible until i start working hard with more 2D textures. The ceilings i myself made with a 3D design tool, that should be taken into consideration.

@fidlerten I'm not trying to insult you, i respect your opinion. But when you say
you can go anywhere you want and get nothing but praise from others if that's what you want, or you can come here and get an honest opinion
It makes it sound like everyone else would lie to me and say i did a nice job but you would be honest and say i didn't. That's sounds very rude. Forgive me if i have seemed rude myself. But i find that comment to be rather unkind.

I don't think ill be coming back to this thread beause it seems you would rather i not. oh well, it was nice to meet you.

Perhaps you want more historical content? Check out my blog where i upload my TS3 content http://regalsims.blogspot.com
BryonyRae

TDC95 wrote:I have studied the 18th century for a few years now, im not here to claim im the master of these styles but you can not simply look at a few pictures and say this is how it is. There are many variations of rococo French Russian Austrian ect. Which all have their own twist on the style, while i agree that the ceilings shold have images on them, my ability is limited to the content i created.

I'm sure that the images I found only scratched the surface; I was just providing my feedback regarding what I did see. It is, as Fid mentioned before, also a matter of taste, and I just don't find the busy stonework appealing.

TDC95 wrote:
@fidlerten I'm not trying to insult you, i respect your opinion. But when you say
you can go anywhere you want and get nothing but praise from others if that's what you want, or you can come here and get an honest opinion
It makes it sound like everyone else would lie to me and say i did a nice job but you would be honest and say i didn't. That's sounds very rude. Forgive me if i have seemed rude myself. But i find that comment to be rather unkind.

I don't think ill be coming back to this thread beause it seems you would rather i not. oh well, it was nice to meet you.

Fid can speak for himself, of course, but from my perspective, I think he was just being truthful and intended no insult. There are very few threads out there that were designed for and offer open critiques. Take a look for yourself. I don't think it's a bad thing or that it means people are lying but rather that critique is not the purpose of most of those threads. Instead, they are showcase threads, often of finished works (that are beyond the stage of requesting feedback), and people who respond are responding with praise because they appreciate the work they're seeing. Those who don't like it will usually refrain from posting/reading that thread and move on to one more up their alley.

If you're looking for unbiased feedback for a work in progress, this thread and a few others (like building 101) is definitely the place to be. If you've already completed the work or you've already made up your mind that you're going in a certain direction with it, you might not find the thread as helpful.

Springfairy556

Hi There! This is my first time posting on here for advice, and I'm a bit shy/nervous, but I know its all to help.

I've been building for a while now, and my lots just don't seem to be getting better, they seem to get worse lol.Here's two examples

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.I know practice makes perfect, but does not seem to be working for me.

Bodie Light- Which is my newest lighthouse.

Any suggestions on how I can get the stinking light on the tower to be more centered? I spent 4 hours trying to fix it.

Boca Grande Light- Which I deleted off the exchange.

Here's a few others I did: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/535745.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/12 02:23 AM

Forum Index » Creative Corner
Go to: