Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
A FRIEND'S GUIDE: How to speed up your game, and fix LAG / video stuttering. **HERE IS SOLUTION**  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
SilentResident

Hello my dearest Simmers!

I am the shy Miss Mouse who loves anyone!!! I love you too! (dont ask why, I just born with love from my mother!!! )

A FRIEND'S GUIDE: How to fix the LAG in your The Sims 3 game: **HERE IS SOLUTION**

Ok, lets return to the topic's subject. As you have noticed, many fellow Simmers have reported the fact that their The Sims 3 games are getting some lag? (Lag, stuttering, slow game response, low performance, etc, and anything that makes the game terribly unplayable for you, the normal gamer!!!)
It does not matters if they install WA Expansion Pack or not. Nor it matters if they install any Custom Content (CC).

Is the fact that there is a way for you, the Simmers, who don't love lagged games, and want to do something in order to enjoy a smoother gameplay, if is possible!

I am here to offer you a help for solution to this issue most Simmers have with their slow The Sims 3 games!

WHY WE GET LAG? WHAT CAUSES IT?
The Sims 3 is a game which, unlike older games in the series, has the Open Neighborhood System. Thus, the game, except your family you play with, must play with the whole town's population as well (AI, Story Progression Mode). Because of this, some players may experience lag, and especially if they have normal / moderate / non-End-gaming computers.

But even the players with end-game computers (end-game = means = strong computer), may get lag as well, especially if they install the WA Expansion Pack + / or some Custom Content. I am one of them!!

Ok, lets see why I got lag in my game: I have installed the World Adventures Expansion Pack, and thus, I have downloaded so much CC from various sites on internet, and this, bad news, caused a major lag to my game!!! And even before I install all those, my base game was lagging (a bit, which was unnoticeable). Thus, I have to mention that all my video settings are in maximum and I never wanted to sacrifice the game quality for more game performance!

This Guide aims to help you getting higher game performance, speed and FPS, WITHOUT even toughing, sacrificing or changing your favorite game's Video Settings at all!
Thanks to this guide, I have MAXED all the Graphic Settings and at same time my game is SMOOTHER than I even should imagine!

STEPS OF HOW TO SOLVE/ELIMINATE/LIMIT YOUR LAG:
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------
Step 1: Download the following 3 softwares: 1) Advanced System Care (which heals your computer) and can be downloaded from here: http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html , 2) GameBooster (which closes all unnecessary Windows/Microsoft progresses while playing) and can be downloaded from here: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html , 3) FPS Limiter 0.2 (which sets a FPS limit to your game, which your video card to run without getting overhelmed, and thus, with better performance) and can be downloaded from here: http://www.caveofdistraction.com/fpslimiter/FPS_Limiter_0.2.rar

Download those 3 softwares, and after you have downloaded all of them, go to Step 2.
---------
Step 2: Install the Advanced System Care software. And then run it. Update it with latest updates. And then, Scan your system with it and it will repair automatically any errors it may find in your System and in your Registry. This is critical as stable and clean system can lead to a smooth gameplay. After that, go to Step 3.
---------
Step 3:
3.a) Install the FPS Limiter 0.2 by following the sub-steps bellow:
3.b) Unpack the files of FPS Limiter to a folder. Unpack them all into ONE folder, together, and keep permanently that folder somewhere safe in your hard driver. If you are a Windows Vista user, keep this folder out of Program Files or it may not work well!!!
3.c) Double click the java application (FPS_Limiter_GUI.jar), and then click "Search Executible"
3.d) Find the .exe for either the Sims 3 base game or the Sims 3 World Adventures. Usually they are in
My Computer/C:/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Game/Bin (TS3.exe), or, if you have the expansion, then, Sims 3 World Adventures/Game/Bin (TS3EP01.exe).
3.e) In the FPS Limiter, Set the FPS to what ever you want (30-60 FPS is good, 30 is recommended)
3.f) Then Click 'Create Bat'.
Now the FPS Limiter will generate/make an new, ugly file called Sims3WA.limited or something, which can be found in the folder of the FPS Limiter itself. Make a shortcut of this new file to your desktop. From now, you must play the game using this new file's shortcut. Not use the original shortcut of the game!. The original shortcut of the game can be used only only for updating your game and for using the game launcher (uploads, downloads, etc). But, for playing the game, just run this new file the Limiter created for you. Make a shortcut of the new file to your desktop. Play the game using this new file. That is all!!!

Optionally, You can do anything with this file's shortcut, like to rename it to a more proper name like "Sims 3" and make it have the Icon that of TS3 or World Adventures.

There you go! you now have a pretty Icon you can now use (which bypasses the launcher) that will make your game run at a nice, smooth, limited FPS.
---------
Now your game is ready! Follow the following 3 steps below for how to set ready your computer and play!!!
---------
Step 4: Close your internet connection, so you safely can close all your Anti-Viruses and Firewalls!!! Close all your Firewalls and Anti-Viruses!!! All those internet-protection programs can eat a lot of PC resources, which leaves no enough resources for the game to run fast! Then go to Step 5.
---------
Step 5: Install and Run the GameBooster. Press GO TO GAME MODE. It will close all your unnecessary hidden/background Processes (that are automatically starting with Windows when you start the computer but you don't need them while playing Sims 3! They eat valuable PC resources!). Go to Step 6 now.
---------
Step 6: Run the game via the new file's shortcut you created in the step 3! Running the file will NOT immediately run the game. First it will pop out a Command Window. Don't tough it! Is the FPS Limiter. Have patience as it takes some seconds. Shortly after the pop up of the Command Window, the game runs, skipping the Game Launcher!
---------

ENJOY THE GAME!!!

NOTES:
1)Each time you want to play the game, just repeat from step 4 to 6 and enjoy the game! Simple! And when you exit/finish Sims 3 game, close the Command Window of the FPS Limiter. Then, you must run again the GameBooster and return from GAME MODE to NORMAL MODE! Simple!.

I hope my guide was helpful! The results of all those steps are stunning. My game is much smoother now!

Finally the game is playable and even with higher Video Settings!

I go play! Have a nice day, Simmers!

DO YOU WANT MORE DETAILS OR HELP WITH THE STEP 3 OF THE ABOVE GUIDE?
Some players may find confusing the Step 3 of the guide. For a more detailed step 3, just go some pages ahead (to Page 3 of this topic), where you can find WindsorErick's detailed comment about STEP 3, which makes it easier to understand!!!

I don't want credits for this guide. Share this guide with your friends!
Credits to EA for this excellent game,
Credits for the Softwares go to their developers.

This message was edited 30 times. Last update was at 12/06/09 07:32 PM

myfirstsimsgame

Thanks! Can you give us links? (unless it could make EA ban you)
SimsplyRuth

The only problem with your informative and probably very helpful post is

Where does one go to download the 3 programs you list?

Links to take us there for each would be very helpful
SilentResident

Its very simple: you can find them by using Google!

So many sites host those programs, so its pointless to choose one. Btw, I have those programs for over weeks, I didn't kept track of the sites I got them from.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/06/09 02:21 AM

myfirstsimsgame

Do you have M fps limiter or other one?
SilentResident

The correct FPS Limiter software is in this link (Non Sims3 site link):

http://www.caveofdistraction.com/2009/07/22/fps-limiter-smoothe
r-gameplay-in-arma2-and-other-titles/

Just scroll down a bit and click the Download FPS_limiter_0.2.rar

Enjoy!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/06/09 02:51 AM

SilentResident

I am crying out of happiness!

I am so happy! I have 5.800 Custom Content (so many hair, items, decorations downloaded from various sites) and my game is so faster than it should be without those steps I did!! So smooth!

I am very very happy, dear Simmers! Thats a nice game now! Thats a TRUE game now! A lots of better gameplay!

I hope one day EA will stick this guide to the first page, otherwise most players will miss this page and stay with a SLOW, LAGGING game...

I must tell you, this guide is written for first time here in this page! You will find no other similar guides in the internet! Feel free to copy this guide to other sites / pages and spread love and happiness as well!

Have fun dear simmers!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 12/06/09 02:51 AM

myfirstsimsgame

Thanks!
thewretched

FPS Limiter will generate/make an new, ugly file called Sims3WA.limited or something, which can be found in the folder of the FPS Limiter itself

I can't find this file anywhere. When I go to the "create bat" button, nothing happens. And I searched my entire computer for "Sims3WA.limited"--what happened/where is it?

I am struggling with so much game lag that I really want to find this file and use your solution.

Thanks for any help in advance

*m*

myfirstsimsgame

When I click the "ugly" file it doesn't open.
myfirstsimsgame

thewretched wrote:
FPS Limiter will generate/make an new, ugly file called Sims3WA.limited or something, which can be found in the folder of the FPS Limiter itself

I can't find this file anywhere. When I go to the "create bat" button, nothing happens. And I searched my entire computer for "Sims3WA.limited"--what happened/where is it?

I am struggling with so much game lag that I really want to find this file and use your solution.

Thanks for any help in advance

*m*

It's in the FPS folder.
thewretched

I'm so sorry for my ignorance, but is the FPS folder supposed to be on the desktop? I never got an "ugly" file. Could you be more specific, for my mindlessness, please

*m*
myfirstsimsgame

Where did you saved your FPS download? If you didn't you have to save it then.
Click the download link and drag all the files to a folder then run the program.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/06/09 04:41 AM

thewretched

I opened my Temp file and found an icon "...limited.bat" or something similar. Is that it? Cuz my computer can't open it. I don't get a file that pops up when i "create bat" at all... so frustrating
ilovesims56

OMG greaaaaaat! i will try it when iget WA.. then i don't need to delete all my CC? And those programs can't delete my CC?

And the FPS will say me when to close the game or something like that?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/06/09 05:13 AM

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: