Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
A creche for Christmas?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
SuzetteR

A creche is a nativity scene and a symbol of Catholicism used to celebrate Christmas-- just like a Menorah is a symbol of Judaism and used to celebrate Hanukkah. So right now my Jewish Sims have something to reflect their holiday but my Catholic sims do not. My Protestant Sims got a Christmas Tree from another web site since EA didn't provide that either.
Thesims2kelly13

tuityfruity12aj wrote:Like having the town decorated with lights...

That would be such a good idea!!

'My Dear, I Will Sing Anything You Want Me To'
'I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.'
fasd

i don't think that we'll get a creche as free content, when people think of holidays they think as menorahs and trees.
tuityfruity12aj

Thesims2kelly13 wrote:
tuityfruity12aj wrote:Like having the town decorated with lights...

That would be such a good idea!!

Oh, I know right?!
I didn't come up with it though. Someone else did last year on a topic somewhat similar to this one.
SuzetteR

Catholics don't. Do we not count? Christams trees are Protestant and Menorahs are Jewish. Why shouldn't Catholics get a Creche? Come to think of it EA didn't even give Protestants Christmas Trees. What is that about?
xyob

Not everyone is Catholic or Christen so a creche would only be for people who believe in that religion. so for it to be fair for everyone, they would have to release something for everyone.

And plus, the whole religion in the sims 3 is kinda of a touchy subject. I bet you could find a custom content creche?

chitbill

SuzetteR wrote:Catholics don't. Do we not count? Christams trees are Protestant and Menorahs are Jewish. Why shouldn't Catholics get a Creche? Come to think of it EA didn't even give Protestants Christmas Trees. What is that about?

I think sims 1 let you build an altar with candles. And I think a menorah arguably could be compared to say a monstrance or um, well, candlesticks Or maybe a smoking thurifer.
Statues start that age old flamewar about statues and Idolotry..
But I agree.
Ok.
What I want for xmas is faster fingers. And maybe some charisma.
How about stuff left over from a sims stuff pack from yore? lights, snowmen, and yes, trees. and whatever it is you wish for.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/28/10 05:13 PM

SuzetteR

xyob wrote:Not everyone is Catholic or Christen so a creche would only be for people who believe in that religion. so for it to be fair for everyone, they would have to release something for everyone.

And plus, the whole religion in the sims 3 is kinda of a touchy subject. I bet you could find a custom content creche?

And not everyone is Jewish but they released a Menorah didn't they?

For anyone to say I don't want it so no one else can have it is pretty intolerant.

I don't mind that there is a Menorah but I do think in all fairness EA should release a Creche and Christmas Tree for Catholics and Protestants as well for the holidays and their Sim celebrations. Fair is fair.

As for other religions celebrating the holidays I do not know what their symbols are to list them but I certainly would not say they shouldn't have them because its not what I believe in.

People need to learn to actually be more tolerant of each others beliefs rather than just pay lip service to the idea of tolerance.

Do you think it is fair for EA to single out one religious group and give them the symbol of their holiday but not do so for any other group of people?
fasd

SuzetteR wrote:
xyob wrote:Not everyone is Catholic or Christen so a creche would only be for people who believe in that religion. so for it to be fair for everyone, they would have to release something for everyone.

For anyone to say I don't want it so no one else can have it is pretty intolerant.

I don't mind that there is a Menorah but I do think in all fairness EA should release a Creche and Christmas Tree for Catholics and Protestants as well for the holidays and their Sim celebrations. Fair is fair.

As for other religions celebrating the holidays I do not know what their symbols are to list them but I certainly would not say they shouldn't have them because its not what I believe in.

People need to learn to actually be more tolerant of each others beliefs rather than just pay lip service to the idea of tolerance.

Do you think it is fair for EA to single out one religious group and give them the symbol of their holiday but not do so for any other group of people?

lol your taking this too seriously, when people think of the holidays they think christmas, hanukkah, and sometimes kwanzaa which usually leads to menorahs and christmas trees and gifts, stockings.

most never even think of creches.
SuzetteR

chitbill wrote:
SuzetteR wrote:Catholics don't. Do we not count? Christams trees are Protestant and Menorahs are Jewish. Why shouldn't Catholics get a Creche? Come to think of it EA didn't even give Protestants Christmas Trees. What is that about?

I think sims 1 let you build an altar with candles. And I think a menorah arguably could be compared to say a monstrance or um, well, candlesticks Or maybe a smoking thurifer.
Statues start that age old flamewar about statues and Idolotry..
But I agree.
Ok.
What I want for xmas is faster fingers. And maybe some charisma.
How about stuff left over from a sims stuff pack from yore? lights, snowmen, and yes, trees. and whatever it is you wish for.

You can not call a Menorah a candlestick without being insulting to Jewsish people. It literally symbolizes Judaisim since ancient times, is the emblem of Israel, and it is used to celebrate Hanukkah.

Creche, Christmas Tree, lights, decorative gift boxes (red & green for Christmas, Blue & while for Hanukkah) and maybe a new holiday buffet table would be a nice holiday package.
fasd

jeez, calm down lol.
SuzetteR

fasd wrote: lol your taking this too seriously, when people think of the holidays they think christmas, hanukkah, and sometimes kwanzaa which usually leads to menorahs and christmas trees and gifts, stockings.

LOL. You think you speak for most people--you only speak for yourself.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/28/10 05:36 PM

xyob

SuzetteR wrote:

If you want a creche so badly, write to EA and talk it over with them, maybe they could do something.

I myself, am fine with Christmas trees and lights and other holiday decor. But as I stated before, maybe you could talk to someone who makes CC and put in a request a nativity scene?

BSIRegina

Well, let's see. I come from a family with a myriad of Christian beliefs. One family is Southern Baptist. One family is Nazarene. One family was Catholic. One family belongs to a small non-denominational Christian sect. We ALL use Nativity sets at Christmas!

The origin of the Christmas tree is pagan, not Protestant. Yes, Protestants use them. Catholics I know use them. When I set up my tree in the winter it isn't because it's a symbol of Christmas for me, but that it's a nice winter time decoration that I can use to add a bit of cheerfulness to an otherwise drab season.

If a person is Christian, then that's a sad thing indeed, because Christmas is all about Christ's birth.

Not everyone is Catholic or Christen so a creche would only be for people who believe in that religion. so for it to be fair for everyone, they would have to release something for everyone.

This is very true. (You misspelled Christian, by the way.) And as much as I will stand up and say I would enjoy something that goes with my belief system I feel people from other belief systems should be doing the same thing.

lol your taking this too seriously, when people think of the holidays they think christmas, hanukkah, and sometimes kwanzaa which usually leads to menorahs and christmas trees and gifts, stockings.

I think of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Neither trees, gifts (at least not the way Christmas is currently commercialized and materialized), nor stockings represent the true meaning of Christmas.

And I think a menorah arguably could be compared to say a monstrance or um, well, candlesticks

No. A menorah is a menorah. It isn't a candlestick for any other use. It holds a certain number of candles in a set pattern which is symbolic to the Jewish faith and I see any other use of it as sacreligious to that faith.

chitbill

BSIRegina wrote:Well, let's see. I come from a family with a myriad of Christian beliefs. One family is Southern Baptist. One family is Nazarene. One family was Catholic. One family belongs to a small non-denominational Christian sect. We ALL use Nativity sets at Christmas!

The origin of the Christmas tree is pagan, not Protestant. Yes, Protestants use them. Catholics I know use them. When I set up my tree in the winter it isn't because it's a symbol of Christmas for me, but that it's a nice winter time decoration that I can use to add a bit of cheerfulness to an otherwise drab season.

If a person is Christian, then that's a sad thing indeed, because Christmas is all about Christ's birth.

This is very true. (You misspelled Christian, by the way.) And as much as I will stand up and say I would enjoy something that goes with my belief system I feel people from other belief systems should be doing the same thing.

I think of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Neither trees, gifts (at least not the way Christmas is currently commercialized and materialized), nor stockings represent the true meaning of Christmas.

And I think a menorah arguably could be compared to say a monstrance or um, well, candlesticks

No. A menorah is a menorah. It isn't a candlestick for any other use. It holds a certain number of candles in a set pattern which is symbolic to the Jewish faith and I see any other use of it as sacreligious to that faith.

Yes thank you for that.

Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: