Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
How to modify penthouses/high-rises  XML
Forum Index » Late Night
GhostMatter

It's pretty cool but... does it allow different types of clubs on one plot?

stormwench

A couple of questions, if thats okay:

What exactly is the skipped level marker used for.. when a second or 3rd floor is built over the lobby but not accessed from the elevator - so that the elevator does not stop there? Or if you build a 3 level penthouse and want the elevator to skip floor 2 and 3 and by pass it to access the roof? Have you been able to create access to the roof (as in one video trailer) to add a hot tub area?

Exactly how do you add a second or third level to a penthouse if the next level is the roof? Add the levels below the top floor and move the rooms around accordingly and have the elevator access the lower penthouse floor?

If so, how do you add a floor below the top penthouse floor? I have been able to remodel many penthouses to add room using unused space on the same floor as the penthouse using your instructions but trying to add a level by drawing the next floor up does not seem possible as in adding a second or third floor to a house - if a wall will draw its drawn on the roof.

garbuckle3000

I found the items, and started playing around with this myself. Still have much to learn, however.

First thing you need to do is type into the cheat window "RestrictBuildBuyInBuilding off"

Then you can place one of the two condo buildings in buydebug. Start building your lobby (you will notice it makes it a two storey lobby automatically. Place walls for an elevator, and place your elevator. I added a call sign, but haven't figured that part out yet.

Go up a level, and you can start to build your condo. Place the floors first, then some walls. Add your elevator up here as well. Add a door to your unit. From buydebug, place the public room marker in your lobby, and one by the elevator on the upper floor. Decorate however you want, and when you are done, type in "RestrictBuildBuyInBuilding on".

Now you can move in/play a sim. You can furnish your condo as you wish, and the public spaces will be off limits. I haven't tried the large condo building, but perhaps that one has some outdoor space!

You don't have to use the condo buildings; you can build your own building (max 5 levels), and just use the markers to mark the public space.

Here's some VERY BASIC screenshots:

Damienf519

Garbuckle3000,

Thanks. That will come in useful, when I finally get Late Night and I decide to make my own town using Late Night Content.

It looks like anyone who has Late Night should be able to make some really cool apartments than.

Check out Spring Valley. Don't forget the saved game file. Let me know what you think
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/688035.
page#10975233
Jaeger

CubbySimAddict46 wrote:you seem to have it figured out! one question.. where can i find the high-rise building shells to put on brand new lots? its been driving me crazy all night, its now 5am and i still havent worked it out! i want to start an apartment from scratch.

in my current thread about apartments someone found 2 metropolitan building shells in buydebug, so where did the rest of the shells go?? O_O

Thanx
Cubby

The residential bin has a lot of shells.
Damienf519

Garbuckle3000,

One question, can you make a one story lobby instead, if you want to?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/28/10 11:14 PM

Check out Spring Valley. Don't forget the saved game file. Let me know what you think
page#10975233
garbuckle3000

Probably. When I first started, I created the lobby before placing the shell, and it was a single floor, but once the shell was down, any walls were two floors. Maybe a different shell will allow for a single floor... although the shells I've seen in the game were all 2 floors, as far as I can remember.

Of course, if you don't use a shell, then you can make the lobby whatever size you want.

SimGuruSemedi

laurenke01 wrote:Despite it being VERY difficult (well, if you don't know what you're doing), it IS possible to modify all the pre-built penthouses and high-rise clubs and add space/floors as necessary.

TO BEGIN
You'll need three cheats: testingcheatsenabled true, buydebug, and restrictbuildbuyinbuildings off.

The first is needed for the other two to work, the second allows the hidden room indicators to show up/be available, and the third allows you to modify all interior walls/objects in the shell buildings regardless of whether they're in the allowable space or not.

PENTHOUSES
The ground floor is editable just as the top floors are. The ground floor has a single orb in the room when you turn on buydebug. This is a Public Room Marker and it's needed to indicate this room (the lobby) does not belong to you. Once you have the three cheats enabled, you're free to delete walls, expand the lobby, add objects, do whatever you want with it. You can add a basement and an additional elevator, anything. Just be sure, if you add additional rooms to the ground floor, you add a Public Room Marker to each one. In rooms you don't choose to use, add a Hidden Room Marker (in the buydebug menu) to make these rooms black when in Live Mode. Make sense?

To edit the penthouse itself, it's a little more difficult. If you plan to expand the livable space, you need to evict or move your Sim out. Why? Well, even though your Sim is the only one to live there, there are NPCs that kinda-sorta live there too and if you delete the doors that lead to their area while the game is live, it'll mess up everything. Take it from me; I lost three hours because of this last night.

Move your Sim out and make sure you still have those cheats. Each building I've tried to modify so far has had a potential of two levels in addition to the one that's already been designed, for a total of THREE USABLE LEVELS OF SPACE. Usually, the other two levels aren't built, so you can go and add those manually by just drawing a box around the level that's already there.

Delete what you want. Delete walls, delete objects, anything whatever. Rearrange the hallway the way you want, add additional doors for NPCs if you want, and add a door for youself. You can make your penthouse ALL three floors, or parts of all three, or keep it one level. It's up to you.

Just remember: Add a Public Room Marker in the hallway and add Hidden Room Markers in rooms that you're also not using so they're blacked out.

Basically: Yes, it's possible to create an epic tri-level penthouse in a cinch. All you need are the right cheats and a know-how to do it.

CLUBS
The EXACT same rules for modifying penthouses applies to the high rise clubs too. Like Eugi's is a club with a room in the basement only, but there are three more potential floors at top that aren't being used. I've already gone in and added two floors, and elevator access to these floors so celebrity and vampire Sims have more places to go.

The odd thing I've noticed about this is that when using the go up/down level buttons, the game seems to bypass these floors when in Live mode, though the new floors I've built are still accessible via the elevator and very much usable when my Sim is on it.

Again, use the Public Room Markers and Hidden Room Markers as necessary and remember you can use the entire three floors if you want.

CONCLUSION
It's difficult and requires practice and knowledge, but it IS possible to create your own penthouses and clubs in Late Night. Maybe not to the extent some people wanted, but it nonetheless is possible.

Questions? I'll try to answer them if I know the answer.

Hey, great post laurenke01! Maybe I can provide a few tips and some helpful things to avoid when doing this sort of editing...

1. Hidden Room Markers have an option to set ambient noise on them. If you are editing a lot with a shell, this option should be set to none. Shell buildings already have ambient noise associated with them. If you're editing a lot without a shell, only one hidden room marker per lot should be assigned an ambient noise (the sound will originate from the location of the marker).

2. Not all shell buildings have the same number of available floors, but as you've noticed, many of them do have additional floors that can be built out. Most of the residential shell buildings only have one floor built, but crafty Simmers can add extra floors to certain ones. If you're going to do this, you'll want to remove the Level Skip Markers from those floors, which brings me to point #3...

3. The odd camera behavior you noticed where the camera skips floors is actually by design. There's a new marker called the Level Skip Marker that will make the camera automatically skip past that level - typically it's placed on levels that a Sim will never access, thus the player has no reason to view it. That being said, if your Sim is on one of these levels, you can focus your camera on the Sim to view that level. If you delete the Level Skip Marker from the level it's placed on, camera behavior will return to normal.

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
SimGuruSemedi

Damienf519 wrote:Garbuckle3000,

One question, can you make a one story lobby instead, if you want to?

Hi there Garbuckle3000! Lobbies (aka anything on the ground level floor) within the shell buildings are always two stories.

SimGuruSemedi

So, one last post... I wrote this yesterday in regards to people building their own apartments outside of shells, but it has a lot of relevant information for this thread as well. It can be a lot to come to grips with, but hopefully this helps point people in the right direction!

For anyone who's curious, it came from this thread, which also has some good information on advanced building techniques in Late Night: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/280497.page

SimGuruSemedi wrote:Hey everyone, I can help shed some light on this. I'm not entirely sure what has been said in the past regarding building apartments, but I suspect they were referring to the large buildings that occupy the majority of Bridgeport. As some of you have already noticed, most of these buildings are not directly available through the catalog.

That being said, the tools do exist to build lots with the same functionality as any other apartment. The original post in this thread is one of the examples of a lot that was constructed entirely in build / buy, and functions as an apartment.

CubbySimAddict46 posted a lot of excellent tips on how to go about doing this; I'll expand on it a bit for you all

Before you start, you'll want to enter the cheats for "testingcheatsenabled true", "buydebug", and "rbbb off". This will allow you to purchase the markers that allow apartment functionality, and allow you to edit the portions of a lot that are considered public space within an apartment.

When you create an apartment building, there are three important markers within buydebug that you'll want to use...

1. Public Room Marker - This marker should be placed in any room that you want any Sim who is visiting the lot to be able to walk around in, consider it as public space within a building such as the lobby. Unless cheats are entered, when you enter build / buy mode on a lot, any room that has a Public Room Marker can't be edited. The Public Room Marker is also the object that flags a lot as an apartment lot. Once one of these has been placed, any outdoor areas on the lot will automatically be flagged as public space. One special note: If you place a parking space in an area that is flagged as public space, your Sim can still purchase a vehicle and park it in that spot.

2. Hidden Room Marker - This marker is similar to the tomb room marker from World Adventures as some people have noted. It will turn a room completely black and hide the contents from the player. There is no way to unhide a room once this marker is placed inside it. You should place this marker inside the rooms that other Sims who will populate your building live inside, thus hiding it from view as your Sim can't visit their living area. If you hold CTRL + SHIFT and click on the hidden room marker, you can also set ambient sound for the building. You should only set this on one hidden room marker per lot, and it should be the marker closest to the player's apartment. Finally, any door that is connected to a room with a hidden room marker inside it should be flagged as an NPC door if you want another Sim to live inside it as if it was their apartment. Hold CTRL + SHIFT and click on the door, and select the "Make NPC Door" option.

3. Level Skip Marker - This marker isn't essential, but it can come in handy. For example, if you build a four story building, and your Sim's living area is on the top floor, you may want to add a level skip marker on the second and third floor if your Sim has no reason to ever visit those floors. When this marker is placed on a floor, moving the camera up or down a floor will automatically skip past a floor that this marker is placed on.

For your Sim's private living space, aka any room that makes up their actual apartment, don't place any markers in those rooms at all. Any room without a marker will be considered as a room that the Sim living on that lot owns, and they will be able to freely edit it in build / buy mode without cheats. Additionally, areas without a marker are the only areas that count towards the lot value or environment score.

On a final note, every building that you want to have function as an apartment should have the Callbox object placed in an area that is considered public space. This will allow other Sims to visit and to call the NPC Sims that live in your new building!

To conclude, I would highly suggest entering the necessary cheats and then taking a look at how the lot that was shown in the original post was constructed. If you look at how the markers were placed on that lot, you should get a good idea of what is necessary to build something similar. Obviously this can all be a bit complex to get working

This was off the top of my head, so if you have any additional questions about how it works, I'll do my best to help or answer questions. Happy building!

geminiagre

Location:Lurking in the shadows behind you, roasting horse fertilizer on the fire pit

def bookmarked!!! Also copied and pasted to wordpad to print out later.

In my understanding buy creating a random build(without shell) and using the cheats and tools listed in your post, along with a cheat to build additional floors, it seems pretty easy to build our own skyscraper appartments and penthouses completely from scratch.

is the lobby "phone" or whatever it's called and appartment mailbox available in buy debug?
of not, how are they assigned to lots? ( i do not have LN yet so i have plenty of tech questions)What I'm trying to say... the lots that have residential shells on them have a specific lot zoning that "spawns" the mail box? or they are still considered as normal residential lots and something else triggers the use of the "multi-mail"box? I'm asking this because i want to make clear where i start to build such a lot? a normal residential lot? or a specific lot type made for shells? or do i start with plopping down a shell lot delete everything and start from scratch?

Grrr... i really need my game to really figure this out. Hurry up ACS!!! Hope they have at least dispatched it ... they received it at least on Wednesday

Damienf519

SimGuruSemedi wrote:So, one last post... I wrote this yesterday in regards to people building their own apartments outside of shells, but it has a lot of relevant information for this thread as well. It can be a lot to come to grips with, but hopefully this helps point people in the right direction!

For anyone who's curious, it came from this thread, which also has some good information on advanced building techniques in Late Night: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/280497.page

SimGuruSemedi wrote:Hey everyone, I can help shed some light on this. I'm not entirely sure what has been said in the past regarding building apartments, but I suspect they were referring to the large buildings that occupy the majority of Bridgeport. As some of you have already noticed, most of these buildings are not directly available through the catalog.

That being said, the tools do exist to build lots with the same functionality as any other apartment. The original post in this thread is one of the examples of a lot that was constructed entirely in build / buy, and functions as an apartment.

CubbySimAddict46 posted a lot of excellent tips on how to go about doing this; I'll expand on it a bit for you all

Before you start, you'll want to enter the cheats for "testingcheatsenabled true", "buydebug", and "rbbb off". This will allow you to purchase the markers that allow apartment functionality, and allow you to edit the portions of a lot that are considered public space within an apartment.

When you create an apartment building, there are three important markers within buydebug that you'll want to use...

1. Public Room Marker - This marker should be placed in any room that you want any Sim who is visiting the lot to be able to walk around in, consider it as public space within a building such as the lobby. Unless cheats are entered, when you enter build / buy mode on a lot, any room that has a Public Room Marker can't be edited. The Public Room Marker is also the object that flags a lot as an apartment lot. Once one of these has been placed, any outdoor areas on the lot will automatically be flagged as public space. One special note: If you place a parking space in an area that is flagged as public space, your Sim can still purchase a vehicle and park it in that spot.

2. Hidden Room Marker - This marker is similar to the tomb room marker from World Adventures as some people have noted. It will turn a room completely black and hide the contents from the player. There is no way to unhide a room once this marker is placed inside it. You should place this marker inside the rooms that other Sims who will populate your building live inside, thus hiding it from view as your Sim can't visit their living area. If you hold CTRL + SHIFT and click on the hidden room marker, you can also set ambient sound for the building. You should only set this on one hidden room marker per lot, and it should be the marker closest to the player's apartment. Finally, any door that is connected to a room with a hidden room marker inside it should be flagged as an NPC door if you want another Sim to live inside it as if it was their apartment. Hold CTRL + SHIFT and click on the door, and select the "Make NPC Door" option.

3. Level Skip Marker - This marker isn't essential, but it can come in handy. For example, if you build a four story building, and your Sim's living area is on the top floor, you may want to add a level skip marker on the second and third floor if your Sim has no reason to ever visit those floors. When this marker is placed on a floor, moving the camera up or down a floor will automatically skip past a floor that this marker is placed on.

For your Sim's private living space, aka any room that makes up their actual apartment, don't place any markers in those rooms at all. Any room without a marker will be considered as a room that the Sim living on that lot owns, and they will be able to freely edit it in build / buy mode without cheats. Additionally, areas without a marker are the only areas that count towards the lot value or environment score.

On a final note, every building that you want to have function as an apartment should have the Callbox object placed in an area that is considered public space. This will allow other Sims to visit and to call the NPC Sims that live in your new building!

To conclude, I would highly suggest entering the necessary cheats and then taking a look at how the lot that was shown in the original post was constructed. If you look at how the markers were placed on that lot, you should get a good idea of what is necessary to build something similar. Obviously this can all be a bit complex to get working

This was off the top of my head, so if you have any additional questions about how it works, I'll do my best to help or answer questions. Happy building!

SimGuruSemedi,

Thanks, That was very helpful.

What about the land outside of the building, but still on the lot. Should we place a public marker there?

page#10975233
garbuckle3000

I will add some notes I discovered:

In buydebug, there are only 2 building shells available. The others can be found in your residential and commercial library, as pre-made lots. Note that these ones can NOT be moved once placed!

These lots in the library also contain the mail box and garbage chute, but these objects are NOT available anywhere else, and if you delete them, you will not get them back. You can move them, and CAS them, but that's it. If you create your own apartment lot, you will receive the basic mail box and garbage can only
This is a shame, as there are other mailboxes that we never get use of either, including the Chinese one from World Adventures, and the pirate one from Barnacle Bay. Note that you can place a commercial lot/shell, and change it to residential, but again, you will get the basic mail box.

There are only 1 or 2 shells/buildings with the room/ability to have a pool or spa on the roof; the rest are typical "inside only" buildings.

There are extra items in the buydebug panel, including a new car, a big TV, and another hot tub, made with rocks.

If you create your own building for an apartment, remember that you are still limited to 5 levels (plus basements).

Elevators work the same as in TS2, in which you can enter in one direction, and exit in another

Damien: No, you don't need markers outside, as those are all considered public space.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/29/10 02:53 AM

Damienf519

Garbuckle3000,

I don't need markers outside, because its automatically considered public space. Thanks for letting know that.

page#10975233
Damienf519

Garbuckle3000,

Oh and, thanks for letting us know that you can't get the apartment mail box, and garbage shoot unless you're on an already created apartment lot. Now that we know that, we won't have waste any time looking for one and instead find apartments lots of suitable size and just delete everything else on them and save to our bins. That way we can start out with otherwise empty lots and create our own apartments from scratch and still have the apartment mail box and garbage shoot.

I hate it when they put objects in the game that they don't give us access to unless we are on a premade lot that already has them on them. I really hate having to delete everything in Sunset Valley's graveyard, except the iron/silver/gold spawner, just so I can use the iron/silver/gold spawner, because its not in the buydebug menu. (please don't ask me what the actual name of the lot is)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 10/29/10 05:07 AM

page#10975233

Forum Index » Late Night
Go to: