Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
wheelchairs?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Author Message
Pepperbutt


Joined: 07/27/11 01:46 AM
Messages: 3154
Location:Chicago, IL

PixieKicks wrote:I can see both sides of the debate. I wouldn't mind seeing wheelchairs in the sims 3 but seeing how alot of the buildings have stairs, that may cause a problem.

There could be a "push in wheelchair" option similar to how sims can walk the toddlers in the stroller but then the sim in the wheelchair would have to stand up and walk up the stairs which kind of defeats the point of the wheelchair.

Rather than having a wheelchair for the purpose of disabled sims, they could use one as an object that improves a sims fun meter just by being pushed around in it for a little while like how children mess around with crutches and stairlifts in real life.


.. Except that's not the other side at all.

Again, unless you think setting people in wheelchairs on fire is fun, don't ask. Period. It's not about stairs, it's about RL idiots who go and do crap like that, for one. The majority of people in wheelchairs are disabled, and being in a wheelchair isn't fun. Period.

Mental health issues aren't a joke. Knock it off.

http://simmeringsims.forumotion.com/ or @Pepperbuttz
Profile
PixieKicks


Joined: 09/22/10 09:41 PM
Messages: 61
Offline

Pepperbutt wrote:
.. Except that's not the other side at all.

Again, unless you think setting people in wheelchairs on fire is fun, don't ask. Period. It's not about stairs, it's about RL idiots who go and do crap like that, for one. The majority of people in wheelchairs are disabled, and being in a wheelchair isn't fun. Period.


I understand your point of view but in the same line of thinking what's to stop someone from making a sim with ginger hair then setting them on fire. There are probably idiots who would go and do that. Does that mean there shouldn't be an option to give sims ginger hair? All I said is I wouldn't mind seeing wheelchairs in the game, it doesn't bother me if there are never ever any wheelchairs in the sims, but why should a feature be ruled out for everybody because of a few idiots who would abuse it.
Profile
Cndy20009


Joined: 06/05/09 10:21 AM
Messages: 388
Offline

What if we had wheelchair-like living chairs in the game, for movie-making and storytelling purposes? Sims can sit in them, but cannot move them around. Or how about electric non-Vespa scooters for non-minor Sims?

Or how about combine those options with decorative crutches and drug shelves, doctor and nurse outfits, patient gowns, hospital beds, operating tables and non-rabbithole hospitals and clinics into a Medical Stuff pack? How would that appeal to you?

Profile
mangoesandlimes


Joined: 06/25/09 09:06 PM
Messages: 2562
Location:PNW

PixieKicks wrote:
Pepperbutt wrote:
.. Except that's not the other side at all.

Again, unless you think setting people in wheelchairs on fire is fun, don't ask. Period. It's not about stairs, it's about RL idiots who go and do crap like that, for one. The majority of people in wheelchairs are disabled, and being in a wheelchair isn't fun. Period.


I understand your point of view but in the same line of thinking what's to stop someone from making a sim with ginger hair then setting them on fire. There are probably idiots who would go and do that. Does that mean there shouldn't be an option to give sims ginger hair? All I said is I wouldn't mind seeing wheelchairs in the game, it doesn't bother me if there are never ever any wheelchairs in the sims, but why should a feature be ruled out for everybody because of a few idiots who would abuse it.


This. Setting fire to wheelchair bound sims isn't much different that setting fire to any other sim. Idiots will do it to be idiots, but that's no reason to take away a feature from people who want wheelchairs for normal reasons. There are simmers who are disabled, in wheelchairs, and I'm sure some of them are disappointed that they can't make a true simself with a life like their own. Not to mention simmers with disabled friends and family who want to include those people in their game. Or just story tellers and people who appreciate a diverse group of sims around town. If anything, not having wheelchairs or at least canes for younger age levels is disappearing of disabled people.

I'm not expecting them to put this in the Sims 3 because it will be difficult to code with routing issues and using stairs, but it would be a good feature for the Sims 4.

Profile
tashie_baby11


Joined: 05/22/10 09:43 PM
Messages: 2256
Offline

I don't really want wheelchairs because I can see that bringing in a whole slew of problems. Such as the stairs. However, I would like to see minor illness and injury in the game. For example, a kid gets the cold or the flu ( And I know the flu can be life threatening, but not in the Sims, they just feel really really ill ), and maybe other minor illnesses. As far as minor injuries go, sprained wrists, or a Sim child falls out of the tree house and breaks their arm. The arm is in a sling for 2-3 Sim days and then it's healed and all better. Like I said, nothing major, but minor things like that could be nice to have. Especially the cold.
Profile
lisasc360


Joined: 01/16/11 03:58 PM
Messages: 4522
Location:In my own little world
Online

mangoesandlimes wrote:
PixieKicks wrote:
Pepperbutt wrote:
.. Except that's not the other side at all.

Again, unless you think setting people in wheelchairs on fire is fun, don't ask. Period. It's not about stairs, it's about RL idiots who go and do crap like that, for one. The majority of people in wheelchairs are disabled, and being in a wheelchair isn't fun. Period.


I understand your point of view but in the same line of thinking what's to stop someone from making a sim with ginger hair then setting them on fire. There are probably idiots who would go and do that. Does that mean there shouldn't be an option to give sims ginger hair? All I said is I wouldn't mind seeing wheelchairs in the game, it doesn't bother me if there are never ever any wheelchairs in the sims, but why should a feature be ruled out for everybody because of a few idiots who would abuse it.


This. Setting fire to wheelchair bound sims isn't much different that setting fire to any other sim. Idiots will do it to be idiots, but that's no reason to take away a feature from people who want wheelchairs for normal reasons. There are simmers who are disabled, in wheelchairs, and I'm sure some of them are disappointed that they can't make a true simself with a life like their own. Not to mention simmers with disabled friends and family who want to include those people in their game. Or just story tellers and people who appreciate a diverse group of sims around town. If anything, not having wheelchairs or at least canes for younger age levels is disappearing of disabled people.

I'm not expecting them to put this in the Sims 3 because it will be difficult to code with routing issues and using stairs, but it would be a good feature for the Sims 4.



I'm gonna try to word this so as to not to step on anyone's toes. If I do step on toes I will apologize now... I'm sure your idea seems good and all but I would have to disagree with this idea. People who can only do certain things because of their limited mobility don't want to be reminded in a game they play that they are disabled. They come and play the sims to escape their problems and live through the sims doing things that they wish they can do. It's not fun having to depend on others to take you places because of a disabitity. Children that are born disabled wishes so much to be able to get out of their chair and play with other children and do things other kids can do. People who became disabled later in life would rather not be in a chair and a burden to the people around them. I am not disabled myself but I know people who are. My mom is sort of disabled. She is blind in 1 eye and has to depend on people to take her to her eye specialist in another town which is over her 5 miles radius and she can not drive after dark. So I know she would rather not have to depend on other people to do things for her.

Sorry if this is too long but I don't think wheelchairs should not be in the game...

Bret Michaels concert 5/27/12
Profile
wizplace


Joined: 10/18/09 10:39 PM
Messages: 1883
Location:I'm right behind you :0
Offline

lisasc360 wrote:
mangoesandlimes wrote:
PixieKicks wrote:
Pepperbutt wrote:
.. Except that's not the other side at all.

Again, unless you think setting people in wheelchairs on fire is fun, don't ask. Period. It's not about stairs, it's about RL idiots who go and do crap like that, for one. The majority of people in wheelchairs are disabled, and being in a wheelchair isn't fun. Period.


I understand your point of view but in the same line of thinking what's to stop someone from making a sim with ginger hair then setting them on fire. There are probably idiots who would go and do that. Does that mean there shouldn't be an option to give sims ginger hair? All I said is I wouldn't mind seeing wheelchairs in the game, it doesn't bother me if there are never ever any wheelchairs in the sims, but why should a feature be ruled out for everybody because of a few idiots who would abuse it.


This. Setting fire to wheelchair bound sims isn't much different that setting fire to any other sim. Idiots will do it to be idiots, but that's no reason to take away a feature from people who want wheelchairs for normal reasons. There are simmers who are disabled, in wheelchairs, and I'm sure some of them are disappointed that they can't make a true simself with a life like their own. Not to mention simmers with disabled friends and family who want to include those people in their game. Or just story tellers and people who appreciate a diverse group of sims around town. If anything, not having wheelchairs or at least canes for younger age levels is disappearing of disabled people.

I'm not expecting them to put this in the Sims 3 because it will be difficult to code with routing issues and using stairs, but it would be a good feature for the Sims 4.



I'm gonna try to word this so as to not to step on anyone's toes. If I do step on toes I will apologize now... I'm sure your idea seems good and all but I would have to disagree with this idea. People who can only do certain things because of their limited mobility don't want to be reminded in a game they play that they are disabled. They come and play the sims to escape their problems and live through the sims doing things that they wish they can do. It's not fun having to depend on others to take you places because of a disabitity. Children that are born disabled wishes so much to be able to get out of their chair and play with other children and do things other kids can do. People who became disabled later in life would rather not be in a chair and a burden to the people around them. I am not disabled myself but I know people who are. My mom is sort of disabled. She is blind in 1 eye and has to depend on people to take her to her eye specialist in another town which is over her 5 miles radius and she can not drive after dark. So I know she would rather not have to depend on other people to do things for her.

Sorry if this is too long but I don't think wheelchairs should not be in the game...

Yes. And I still don't see how wheelchairs are considered "fun."

Profile
Jarsie9


Joined: 05/17/09 12:34 AM
Messages: 10234
Online

XOqwertyXO wrote:i'd like to see wheelchairs in sism3. think it would be fun


My daughter is in a wheelchair. She also has to use an oxygen tank so that she can breathe. In fact, she has been in an out of the hospital several times in the past 2 months due to her breathing problems.

She wants you to know that she is really having a blast, and she has so much fun in her wheelchair. In fact, she can hardly wait for someone to put an oxygen tank and a wheelchair in the Sims 3 so that I can make her realistically in my game.

And, yes, people, I am being sarcastic. I feel the need to explain that, in case there is some idiot who thinks I'm actually being serious.

I Am No Longer Accepting Friend Requests. All Friend Requests Will Be Declined.
Profile
wizplace


Joined: 10/18/09 10:39 PM
Messages: 1883
Location:I'm right behind you :0
Offline

Jarsie9 wrote:
XOqwertyXO wrote:i'd like to see wheelchairs in sism3. think it would be fun


My daughter is in a wheelchair. She also has to use an oxygen tank so that she can breathe. In fact, she has been in an out of the hospital several times in the past 2 months due to her breathing problems.

She wants you to know that she is really having a blast, and she has so much fun in her wheelchair. In fact, she can hardly wait for someone to put an oxygen tank and a wheelchair in the Sims 3 so that I can make her realistically in my game.

And, yes, people, I am being sarcastic. I feel the need to explain that, in case there is some idiot who thinks I'm actually being serious.

Hope she gets better. Has this been a long time thing? I have a heart condition myself. In the start of 9th grade I was in and out of the hospital because my chest was hurting all the time due to stress. I also may need another operation this summer. I've had it since I was born.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/24/12 06:01 PM


Profile
mangoesandlimes


Joined: 06/25/09 09:06 PM
Messages: 2562
Location:PNW

lisasc360 wrote:I'm gonna try to word this so as to not to step on anyone's toes. If I do step on toes I will apologize now... I'm sure your idea seems good and all but I would have to disagree with this idea. People who can only do certain things because of their limited mobility don't want to be reminded in a game they play that they are disabled. They come and play the sims to escape their problems and live through the sims doing things that they wish they can do. It's not fun having to depend on others to take you places because of a disabitity. Children that are born disabled wishes so much to be able to get out of their chair and play with other children and do things other kids can do. People who became disabled later in life would rather not be in a chair and a burden to the people around them. I am not disabled myself but I know people who are. My mom is sort of disabled. She is blind in 1 eye and has to depend on people to take her to her eye specialist in another town which is over her 5 miles radius and she can not drive after dark. So I know she would rather not have to depend on other people to do things for her.

Sorry if this is too long but I don't think wheelchairs should not be in the game...


And that's why it would be optional. Different disabled people feel differently about this. I have some disabled friends and they've told me they're bothered by the lack of disabled people in the media. They almost never see characters like themselves in movies, books, TV shows, games, etc. For people who feel like my friends do, a wheelchair in game would be a good option. It wouldn't be 'fun' so much as 'realistic.' Other disabled people who don't want to be reminded of their own disabilities wouldn't be forced to have sims in wheelchairs. I'm just generally an advocate of more options for all kinds of people in the sims, you know?

Profile
lisasc360


Joined: 01/16/11 03:58 PM
Messages: 4522
Location:In my own little world
Online

No there are not fun. I've only been in 1 wheelchair in my lifetime and that was only because I just had thyroid surgery to remove my thyroid and I was getting ready to leave the hopsital. So I don't we should have a sims have to spend their entire time taking care of some one in a wheelchair.
It makes me feel bad when I see some one in a wheelchair...

Bret Michaels concert 5/27/12
Profile
lisasc360


Joined: 01/16/11 03:58 PM
Messages: 4522
Location:In my own little world
Online

wizplace wrote:
Jarsie9 wrote:
XOqwertyXO wrote:i'd like to see wheelchairs in sism3. think it would be fun


My daughter is in a wheelchair. She also has to use an oxygen tank so that she can breathe. In fact, she has been in an out of the hospital several times in the past 2 months due to her breathing problems.

She wants you to know that she is really having a blast, and she has so much fun in her wheelchair. In fact, she can hardly wait for someone to put an oxygen tank and a wheelchair in the Sims 3 so that I can make her realistically in my game.

And, yes, people, I am being sarcastic. I feel the need to explain that, in case there is some idiot who thinks I'm actually being serious.

Hope she gets better. Has this been a long time thing? I have a heart condition myself. In the start of 9th grade I was in and out of the hospital because my chest was hurting all the time due to stress. I also may need another operation this summer. I've had it since I was born.



Sorry to hear about your daughter Jarsie9. I hope she gets better.

To Wizplace: Sorry to hear that you might need another heart surgery. Hope all goes well with you...

You two just hang in there and hope things will get better...

Bret Michaels concert 5/27/12
Profile
wizplace


Joined: 10/18/09 10:39 PM
Messages: 1883
Location:I'm right behind you :0
Offline

lisasc360 wrote:
wizplace wrote:
Jarsie9 wrote:
XOqwertyXO wrote:i'd like to see wheelchairs in sism3. think it would be fun


My daughter is in a wheelchair. She also has to use an oxygen tank so that she can breathe. In fact, she has been in an out of the hospital several times in the past 2 months due to her breathing problems.

She wants you to know that she is really having a blast, and she has so much fun in her wheelchair. In fact, she can hardly wait for someone to put an oxygen tank and a wheelchair in the Sims 3 so that I can make her realistically in my game.

And, yes, people, I am being sarcastic. I feel the need to explain that, in case there is some idiot who thinks I'm actually being serious.

Hope she gets better. Has this been a long time thing? I have a heart condition myself. In the start of 9th grade I was in and out of the hospital because my chest was hurting all the time due to stress. I also may need another operation this summer. I've had it since I was born.



Sorry to hear about your daughter Jarsie9. I hope she gets better.

To Wizplace: Sorry to hear that you might need another heart surgery. Hope all goes well with you...

You two just hang in there and hope things will get better...

Thnx. But it's nothing compared to what Jarsie has to go through.

Profile
SIMplified


Joined: 06/16/10 07:17 PM
Messages: 4841
Location:Goldfish bowl
Offline

Jarsie9 wrote:My daughter is in a wheelchair. She also has to use an oxygen tank so that she can. In fact, she has been in an out of the hospital several times in the past 2 months due to her breathing problems.

She wants you to know that she is really having a blast, and she has so much fun in her wheelchair. In fact, she can hardly wait for someone to put an oxygen tank and a wheelchair in the Sims 3 so that I can make her realistically in my game.

And, yes, people, I am being sarcastic. I feel the need to explain that, in case there is some idiot who thinks I'm actually being serious.

I love seeing you in these types of threads because you have insight. Very rarely, if ever, do I see anyone that is actually in a wheelchair permanently or had been for over a month, not just someone saying that they are. I only see abled people that have never had to sit in them speaking of their greatness. It annoys me.

Profile
Jarsie9


Joined: 05/17/09 12:34 AM
Messages: 10234
Online

SIMplified wrote:

I love seeing you in these types of threads because you have insight. Very rarely, if ever, do I see anyone that is actually in a wheelchair permanently or had been for over a month, not just someone saying that they are. I only see abled people that have never had to sit in them speaking of their greatness. It annoys me.


This is one of the subjects that is a hot-button issue for me. The other is having people ask for a Sims 2 forum on this website when there is already a perfectly good one they can use.

But, seriously, my daughter was born with neuro-muscular atrophy, a form of muscular dystrophy and has scoliosis of the spine. That means her spine is in a S shaped curve, and she had to have a Harrington rod inserted when she was in her teens to keep her spine from further deteriorating. However, as she gets older, her lung capacity diminishes, so that's why the oxygen tank. And, yes, it is a permanent condition. I'm not the one going through the suffering, my daughter is, and I have to say I admire her for being brave, even though she doesn't think that's what she's being.

So, when I see a thoughtless thread like this, with people saying: "Sims should have more options", or "Wheelchairs are realistic" or even "Wheelchairs would be fun"...it chaps my hide. If it's a disabled person doing it, I remind them that they knew the game didn't have wheelchairs and disability when they bought it. I also remind them that there are advocate organizations that they can write to and see if these organizations won't campaign to EA to put this in the game. And to date, no one has done this.

Botom line: This game is supposed to be entertaining. While there are some topics that can be presented in a light-hearted way, disability isn't one of them, nor should it be. Putting wheelchairs in the Sims 3, though it might seem a small thing, will only lead to requests from players to add *other* types of disabilities in the game. So far, I've seen requests for blind people, deaf people, autistic people, people with Down's Syndrome or Tourette's Syndrome to be added in the game, all in the name of "fun"...why think how much fun to see your blind Sim slamming up against the wall or tripping over something on the floor! Or your deaf Sim trying to communicate with a hearing Sim using only sign language!

You get the picture. Seriously, I don't think EA wants to touch this with a 10 foot pole, because the potential for controversy is too great, and I'm talking about negative media coverage from disability advocate groups who could accuse EA of mocking their particular disability.

Diseases that we've already had in the game like the flu our Sims got in The Sims 2 and the Sims 1, okay...or even from touching contaminated garbage, that sort of thing. But actual disabilities that require wheelchairs...that's a whole nother issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/24/12 08:12 PM


I Am No Longer Accepting Friend Requests. All Friend Requests Will Be Declined.
Profile
 
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: