Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Aliens - is there a way to not have them?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Seasons
Mstybl95

Rhedd_V wrote:I love the way, "Can you turn this off?" is ALWAYS the first question asked, and the answer is almost always "nope". What would it take to make the devs actually learn from their previous experiences? *cough*zombies*cough*LN vampires*cough*celebrities...

I also love the way everyone says that if you don't want aliens, simply never use a telescope and never collect a space rock. Great! So if you want realistic stuff like rain and snow, but don't want something silly like aliens, your sims have to stop doing things they happily did before? Does making the number of options in a game SMALLER sound like a good idea to anyone?

Seriously, how hard is it to just make a switch to turn them off? I'll tell you how hard; I guarantee more than one unpaid, amateur modder will add that capability in less than a week. So... not hard at all.

Aliens look cool, though. I just continue to be amazed that anyone can play this game without mods.

+1000

I couldn't have said it better.

PHOEBESMOM601

Rhedd_V wrote:I love the way, "Can you turn this off?" is ALWAYS the first question asked, and the answer is almost always "nope". What would it take to make the devs actually learn from their previous experiences? *cough*zombies*cough*LN vampires*cough*celebrities...

I also love the way everyone says that if you don't want aliens, simply never use a telescope and never collect a space rock. Great! So if you want realistic stuff like rain and snow, but don't want something silly like aliens, your sims have to stop doing things they happily did before? Does making the number of options in a game SMALLER sound like a good idea to anyone?

Seriously, how hard is it to just make a switch to turn them off? I'll tell you how hard; I guarantee more than one unpaid, amateur modder will add that capability in less than a week. So... not hard at all.

Aliens look cool, though. I just continue to be amazed that anyone can play this game without mods.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say....maybe the developers wanted aliens in the game to add a fun unrealistic element.

Throughout the history of The Sims there have been unrealistic fun parts to the game and it's never been totally "real". I understand that some players like to be completely realistic....but this is a game and there are supposed to be challenges.

I hated the celebrity and paparazzi part of the game and I'm glad they added an opt out check box....but until they did I accepted it as a game challenge worked around it.

For some reason it makes me a little sad that before an EP is even released that people start the "can I turn this off?" when they've never even had a chance to play the new options.

....and as far as mods, sometimes I play with them....sometimes I don't but I don't use them to do away with things in the game.

Step outside of your comfort zone. Ask why. Don't accept,"because that's the way it's always been". Think outside the box.
GREENEYA

The Sims are not about realisam.
The Sims never been realistic game, since TS1.
Unrealistic features are part of the sims since their beginning.

And many people loves Sims just because of that.
Mstybl95

BUT, many players like realism. I am one of them. I don't think telling me or anyone else to just not use the telescope is a good idea. I will mod my game, just like I did for zombies and anything else I don't like. That is the beauty of a sandbox game. Yeah, they give players the option of having unrealistic things they want in their game, but because I don't like aliens, I shouldn't buy Seasons and get to have weather in my game? That makes no sense. It would be just as easy to add a little check box to turn off aliens.

GREENEYA

Mstybl95 wrote:BUT, many players like realism. I am one of them. I don't think telling me or anyone else to just not use the telescope is a good idea. I will mod my game, just like I did for zombies and anything else I don't like. That is the beauty of a sandbox game. Yeah, they give players the option of having unrealistic things they want in their game, but because I don't like aliens, I shouldn't buy Seasons and get to have weather in my game? That makes no sense. It would be just as easy to add a little check box to turn off aliens.

In TS1 and TS2 we did not have check box for Aliens, nor for any creature at all.
And everyone loves TS1 and TS2.

Aliens are feature of this expansion, just like weather.
So that is good will of EA, if they include checkboxes of any feature in their game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/16/12 03:09 PM

GalacticGal

jenniferaplin wrote:Theres a button to turn off vampires! Where is it??? or does this just apply to supernatural?

It came with patch 1.38. Go to options in game and under the general tab you should see boxes checked or unchecked under population control. I don't have SN, so the only ones checked automatically for me were vampires, ghosts, and horses, I think. (Or something along those lines. I would have to start my game and take another look, to be sure.) There is also a place to check if you wish to exempt your active household from celebrity. This is the same patch that gave us pointy ear sliders.

From what I have read, you cannot exempt aliens from your game. But as it's already been suggested by another poster, Graham said, it is possible to ignore the aliens. Conversely, if you'd like to pursue them, use the telescope and collect space rocks and meteors, etc. to garner their attention, since they are always watching. LOL

Hope this helps.

At long last,Night Whispers, Volume 3: The Confrontation is available as free downloadable PDF: http://issuu.com/
emilyyy

Aliens should be a rarity, not something that lives within the Sims 3 world but randomly comes around. That's how it's meant to be!

I don't want to see them every day but I don't want to have them turned off either.

Conclue

I think they nailed it the way they have it set up currently;

An alien will sporadically be in the world somewhere doing his/her own thing not bothering you. He will not spawn out of the ground on your front lawn, he will not end up taking over the town in some celebrity or vampire epdiemic, he will not randomly populate in the world thanks to SP. (well, that's to be foreseen I guess, if SP is able to combine an alien and sim to live together and thus spawn hybrid children - ask Graham Friday)

There going to be sporadic and an element you wish to puruse or not in your game.

The ones who should be complaining are the ones who want to populate LL within no time. We're going to have to work around it to get what we want. Overall I think it's programmed more for those who don't really care either way than those who can't wait for a world full of aliens.

Lunar Lakes is going to be EPIC! But that's me. Everyone has different tastes.

I'm sure a question should be if Aliens will be in the population controls or not. If they aren't they'r not really programmed to be invasive so I don't think people should worry.
Rhedd_V

Conclue wrote:I'm sure a question should be if Aliens will be in the population controls or not. If they aren't they'r not really programmed to be invasive so I don't think people should worry.

Yep, that worked out well with zombies, so don't worry!

Seriously, though, I think the aliens look like they might be fun, and my sims live in the swamps of Twinbrook, so I love the zombies. I just think that everyone should have a choice about whether or not they love aliens and zombies.

I'll share an industry secret with you. Sometimes devs really enjoy what they do. Once in a while when that happens, they decide that surely nobody on earth would dislike what they've spent the last few years making so fun. And when that happens- sometimes- the suggestion that someone might hate the feature and want it turned off becomes almost a personal insult. Requests are met with the answer, "No, we're not going to let you turn it off, but trust me, you'll LOVE it!"

That's what project leads are for, to say, "You know, your feature is cool and all, but the game is about more than just that one thing."

I mean, the expansion is named SEASONS but we have options to turn off (remove) winter, spring, or any season we don't want. Surely seasons are an intended feature of an expansion named... Seasons. So what would be wrong with having an option to turn off aliens, which don't actually have anything to do with the primary theme of the EP?
SimiLova

Linnyxx17 wrote:well aliens don't work like vampires, its not like the alien is gonna shoot the sim with like a ray gun and then that sim will become an alien. we're not gonna be overpopulated with aliens. their NPCs only like two or three will come into your town to explore and do research. mostly at night. you can go look for them like you can with the unicorn. and befriend them to join your household, but i read somewhere that if your sims are oblivious about aliens then they probably will never know about them. so you shouldn't really worry about an alien free life

Wow really? Can do all this with the aliens and the aliens will be walking about so freely? Sweetness. Any mention of alien babies growing up to have some kind of alienish abilities when they grow up?
Susiechan

GREENEYA wrote:The Sims are not about realisam.

I don't think my dislike for the aliens has something to do about realism or non-realism/un-realism . I love SN EP and that's the best EP so far for me.

My dislike for aliens because they will abduct my sims and inseminate or impregnate them . That's a big NO NO for me and that's what I hate in TS2 as well.

I know I can avoid that by not using the telescope or collecting space rock. But that's not a solution, that's a limitation. How long my sims will not use the telescope or collecting the space rocks ? As far as I know that will be "forever".

I know some simmers do not like zombie attacking their sims. But then the producer/developers came out with ideas to prevent the zombie attack without eliminating the zombie itself. There is a pea shooter or you also can put fences around your home lot to prevent zombie entering your lot, etc. So, why not come out with a simple idea to prevent aliens abduction too ?. That's what I want actually . I want aliens but I don't want them to start abducting my sims, not unless I want them too .

Fenris,the broody Elf
lovcat

I hope not. Aliens are now a sims staple and the game felt naked without them plus I love making alien babies.

GREENEYA

Susiechan wrote:
GREENEYA wrote:The Sims are not about realisam.

I don't think my dislike for the aliens has something to do about realism or non-realism/un-realism . I love SN EP and that's the best EP so far for me.

My dislike for aliens because they will abduct my sims and inseminate or impregnate them . That's a big NO NO for me and that's what I hate in TS2 as well.

I know I can avoid that by not using the telescope or collecting space rock. But that's not a solution, that's a limitation. How long my sims will not use the telescope or collecting the space rocks ? As far as I know that will be "forever".

I know some simmers do not like zombie attacking their sims. But then the producer/developers came out with ideas to prevent the zombie attack without eliminating the zombie itself. There is a pea shooter or you also can put fences around your home lot to prevent zombie entering your lot, etc. So, why not come out with a simple idea to prevent aliens abduction too ?. That's what I want actually . I want aliens but I don't want them to start abducting my sims, not unless I want them too .

Abductions by aliens were very rare in TS2.
The chance to be abducted using the telescope was less than 1 percent.

It is not like that your sim will be abducted every time while using telescope.
elanorbreton

So, did EA actually confirm that abductions are through collecting space rocks and the telescope? (I haven't seen the info)

I do think it's a little silly of them not to have put a 'banish aliens' tick box in the options though... each of us has our own idea of how we want to play our games and the more customizable the better IMO.
Susiechan

GREENEYA wrote: Abductions by aliens were very rare in TS2.
The chance to be abducted using the telescope was less than 1 percent.

It is not like that your sim will be abducted every time while using telescope.

I hope you are right, 101 % right and I hope my sims is no where near that 1 % .

If I want my sims to have an alien baby, I want them to have it in a normal way, not by abduction .

Fenris,the broody Elf

Post Reply Forum Index » Seasons
Go to: