This thread is designed so that we can all help each other create the types of ghosts and other lifestates we may want living in our neighborhood. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them here.
Ghost Life State Information
Creating a Playable Ghost Playable ghosts are a unique life state, they function exactly the same as a normal living Sim when you resurrect them. They have the same basic needs. The only difference is the character skinning, the sounds they make and the occasional scared reaction from certain trait types. There is a special opportunity called “Oh My Ghost!” where the science lab asks you to bring a dead loved one to the science building for testing. Your living Sim must at least be friends with the dead Sim you want to resurrect. Completing this will give you a playable ghost. You will not get the resurrection opportunity phone call right away when a Sim dies, it may take a long time if your living Sim has skills. The living Sim having skills adds "skill related opportunities" to the pool of potential opportunities. If your Sim knows nothing, and has never left the house, you will get the ghost opportunity first. Make sure you have no opportunities and deny any that you receive until you get the one asking you to bring your loved one to the lab.
What if they died on another lot? Go to the graveyard, walk into the mausoleum, and choose "Manage Graves" all unplaced stones will be there. You can place them in the yard, or take them home in the Sims inventory. Be warned, some people have reported a bug with this where they cannot get the tombstone of someone who died.
Quickest way to bring someone back from the dead. After you kill someone, bring a new person with 0 skills to the lot. Then use the testingcheatsenabled cheat code and set their needs to static. This will essentially make them stand still doing nothing. Also, use the cheat to make the person friends with the ghost as the opportunity only comes if you are friends with a ghost. After a few game hours (maybe days tops) they will get their first special opportunity called “Oh My Ghost!”, since they have 0 skills and the lot has a ghost on it, the opportunity will be to resurrect the dead. Place the tomb stone in their inventory and head to the science lab to bring them back! With this method it should only take 10 minutes to create a ghost, assuming you already have a dead Sim.
Creating White Old Age Ghosts The white ghost is a Sim who died from old age, the quickest way to do this is to use the testingcheatsenabled cheat. Hold shift and left click on the active Sim and choose "Trigger Age Transition" this will make them die from old age and their ghost will be white and sparkly.
Creating Blue Water Ghosts The blue water ghost is a Sim who drowned to death, the quickest way to do this is to build a small pool (3x3) and tell the Sim to swim in it. Once they are in, build walls around the pool and use the testingcheatsenabled cheat, hold shift and drag their energy meter to the left. this will make them drown and their ghost will be blue and watery.
Sims can drown while holding their breath in pools.
Creating Purple/Pink Starvation Ghosts The purple/pink ghost is a Sim who starved to death, the quickest way to do this is use the testingcheatsenabled cheat. Once you turn the cheat on hold shift, left click the hunger meter and drag it all the way to the left. The Sim will die of starvation and will have a purple/pink smoky look to them.
Creating Red Fire Ghosts Red ghosts are Sims that died by fire. Build a small room with a fireplace. Cover the floor around the fireplace with multiple rugs and direct your Sim inside the room. Delete the door. Start a fire in the fireplace. Before long, the room goes up in flames and the Sim is trapped inside. The fire will eventually put itself out, once all the rugs have burned up. Red ghosts coloring moves similar to flames and smoke is coming out of them.
(World Adventure Method)
It is much easier to set a Sim on fire with the World Adventure expansion pack. Have your Sim purchase a firework in china and set off the firework inside. This will start a fire every time!
Creating Yellow Electricity Ghosts Yellow ghosts are Sims that died by electrocution. Place floor tiles outside and turn a sprinkler on next to them so that there is water all over the floor. Have a Sim with the Technophobe trait, sabotage the most expensive stereo, then use build mode to put the sparking stereo on the floor tiles with all the puddles. Now have the "victim Sim" go in and try to repair the broken electronic device. After a very short while he will get shocked and will stop repairing the electronics. Make them continue repairing the stereo a second time and they will be shocked a second time and die. Yellow ghosts have constant electricity going through them.
Creating Cursed Ghosts (World Adventures)
Cursed ghosts are Sims who died from a mummy’s curse. This will be either VERY hard or impossible to get with a Sim who has high athletic and martial arts skills. In order to get the mummy’s curse moodlet, your Sim must fight a mummy and lose. The easiest way to do this is to use the testingcheatesenabled and buydebug cheats. Purchase a sarcophagus and place it in your lot. While in build mode, hold Shift+Alt and click on the sarcophagus and choose the option to always spawn a mummy. Go back into live mode and save it. Have your Sim check the sarcophagus and a mummy will come out. Stand by the mummy until it fights your Sim. At the end of the fight, the mummy will either knock your Sim unconscious or exhale a gas on your Sim. If you get knocked out, reload your save and fight the mummy again. If you have the gas breathed onto you, you will receive the Mummy’s Curse moodlet. After 14 game days, your Sim will die of the curse. Cursed ghosts are white with a black cloud floating around them.
The Death of a Ghost! Ghost Sims still age, once they reach the end of their life they return to the netherworld and disappear forever. If you click on their tombstone or urn in their inventory and choose “Return to Netherworld” the ghost Sim will disappear forever.
Tombstones Tombstones are tinted different colors and unique plaque pictures based on how the Sim died.
- If you die without completing lifetime wish u get small grave
- if u die with lifetime wish completed AND 50,000 - 150,000 lifetime reward points u get the medium grave
- if you die with completing lifetime wish and have more than 150,000 lifetime points you get a the large obelisk like tombstone.
Do ghosts have special negative effects like they did in The Sims 2? No, drowned ghosts do not cause puddles, starved ghosts do not raid the fridge Etc. they can temporarily haunt an item, rendering it unusable while it floats and shakes in the air. In The Sims 3, ghosts have a chance of coming out of their graves between 11pm and 6am and act like normal town NPCs, you can interact with them the way you could with a normal NPC for the duration of the in-game night. If the ghost Sim and a Sim in the household were enemies when the ghost died, it will still hate the living Sim. You can repair a relationship with a ghost Sim the way you can with a normal NPC Sim.
If a ghost who died from starvation eats, it is not “raiding your fridge” because it’s a ghost – it just has a low hunger bar. Because ghosts act like all other NPCs, they will go through normal actions like eating when they are hungry or sleeping when they are tired. Some people say that their drowned Sims created puddles… these are from the ghost not making it to the toilet. The non-playable Sims ghosts will be exactly what they where when the Sim died when the ghost comes out of it’s tomb. Drowned Sims will likely sleep right away and starved sims will eat.
Posting screenshots of a non-playable ghost eating does not prove that EA programmed special negative actions into the ghost types like Sims 2.
Preventing death There are many ways to prevent death in The Sims 3.
- Turning aging off will prevent all Sims from dying of old age (without testingcheatsenabled)
- If aging is on, eating a life fruit will add 1 day to your Sims life span.
- Eating Ambrosia will reset the amount of days in your current "days until aging".
- Having a Death Blossom in your inventory will give you a second chance at life. This does not work on Sims dying of old age.
- Having a Mummy Snack in your inventory prevents a Mummy from fighting and cursing your Sim. (World Adventures)
- Having a Shower in a Can in your inventory will automatically be used by your Sim if they catch fire, putting out the flames. (World Adventures)
- Curing the Mummy’s Curse. (World Adventures)
- Interact with the Soulpeace statue at the end of the Sphinx tomb. (World Adventures)
- Charm a Cobra until you receive the Snake Kiss moodlet. (World Adventures)
- The Brave trait will reduce the chance you will burn to death.
- The Daredevil trait will reduce the chance you will burn to death.
- The Evil trait will help your Sim win fights against a Mummy, reducing their chance to get cursed. (World Adventure)
- The Handy trait will make your Sim immune to electrocution.
- The Hydrophobic trait will reduce the chance you will drown to death.
- The Immune to Fire hidden trait will prevent your Sim from ever catching fire.
- The Mean Spirited trait will help your Sim win fights against a Mummy, reducing their chance to get cursed. (World Adventure)
- The Natural Cook trait will reduce the chance you will burn to death.
- The Vegetarian trait will add days to your life time.
- The Unlucky trait will have the grim reaper resurrect you the first time you die. This is not 100% of the time.
- Building the Athletic skill will help your Sim win fights against a Mummy, reducing their chance to get cursed. (World Adventure)
- Building the Martial Arts skill will help your Sim win fights against a Mummy, reducing their chance to get cursed. (World Adventure)
How do I grow a Death Blossom? Death Blossoms are a special plant type in The Sims 3. You can either Fish a Death Blossom seed up which is rare and random, you can plant one by planting Special Seeds, or you can harvest one wild Death Blossom, per neighborhood, in the cemetery. You should then have a Sim with the Green Thumb trait plant it and maintain it. The problem most people have while growing a Death Blossom, is that once you harvest it, it dies. This is why you need the Green Thumb trait. A Sim with the Green Thumb trait can bring the Death Blossom back to life one time after harvesting it. Which causes one Death Blossom to become two, and two becomes four, and so on. You may also grow a Death Blossom with a special seed that you collect.
How do I grow a Life Fruit? Life fruit are a special plant type in The Sims 3. You can either Fish a Life Fruit seed up which is rare and random, or you can plant one by planting Special Seeds. Once you have a Life Fruit plant, it acts like every other plant. You can harvest it multiple times and plant new Life Fruit plants using your harvested fruits.
What is Ambrosia? How do I become a normal Sim after dying? Ambrosia is a food you make in The Sims 3. It is able to reset your Sims entire current amount of days before aging. To make Ambrosia, you will need the following:
1. Cooking skill of 10
2. Death Fish (skill 10 fishing, rare chance at skill 7 fishing)
3. Life Fruit (skill 7 gardening)
4. 12,000 Simoleons to buy the recipe (you may also learn it while watching TV)
Death Fish can only be fished up with a fishing skill of 10. You must be fishing in the pond in the graveyard between 11 PM and 5 AM and using angel fish as bait. Doing this you will get at least 1 Death Fish a night.
Life Fruit is a special plant. To grow it, collect as many Special Seeds as you can and plant them. You will eventually have a few life fruit bushes.
The recipe is sold at the book store.
When you have everything you need and a cooking skill of 10, all you need to do is click on the fridge and you will have the option to make Ambrosia.
Ghost Misc. - When a ghost is playable, it can have a baby. Occasionally a ghost baby will be... "born"?
- Ghost babies have their tomb stone in their inventory.
- Ghost authors do not receive royalties from any books they received while alive.
Mummy Life State Information
This section is regarding the World Adventures expansion.
The Mummy Life State The Mummy is a new playable Life State introduced in The Sims 3: World Adventures expansion. It has unique characteristics listed below.
- The Mummy has a higher chance of winning fights.
- The Mummy’s bladder bar is wrapped in bandages and will never decay.
- The Mummy’s energy bar is wrapped in bandages and will never decay so a Mummy never sleeps.
- Mummy walk very slowly and moan a lot.
- Mummy’s receive new social interactions.
- If a Mummy catches fire, it dies instantly.
- If a Mummy sleeps in a sarcophagus, their needs freeze. You can have a Mummy sleep forever.
Creating a Mummy (World Adventures)
The easiest way to do this is to use the testingcheatesenabled and buydebug cheats. Purchase a Cursed Sarcophagus of the Kings and place it in your lot. Have your Sim sleep in the sarcophagues for 24 hours and they will emerge as a Mummy.
Non-controllable ghost sims may sleep in the sarcophagus as well and become Ghost-Mummy Hybrids!
Curing Mummyism (World Adventures)
The easiest way to do this is to use the testingcheatesenabled and buydebug cheats. Purchase a Blessed Sarcophagus of the Kings and place it in your lot. Have your Sim sleep in the sarcophagues for 24 hours and they will emerge as a normal Sim.
Neonivek - gamefaqs user
ClaudiaVanTramp - Sims3 forum user
Kaps - Sims3 forum user
Dalex - Sims3 forum user
Predatorlee – Sims3 forum user
Last Update - 01/04/2010
This message was edited 27 times. Last update was at 01/04/10 06:39 PM
For death by fire I build a small room with a fireplace. I cover the floor around the fireplace with multiple rugs. I place my Sim inside the room and delete the door. Then I start a fire in the fireplace. Before long, the room goes up in flames and the Sim is trapped inside. The fire will eventually put itself out, once all the rugs have burned up.
Darrin wrote:Twice now I have had low skill Sims tinker electronics in puddles to death ... but they died by fire! Both times the electrical appliance caught fire (small TV). I should try some other object.
The yellow ghosts are in the graveyard; there has to be a working way. But you said your ghost from elecution was the white-blue variety, Sweetest?
I love that the type of death is listed by icon engraving on the tombstone.
My first sim died from electrocution while fixing a TV. It was the yellow electric one seen in the graveyard. Just cant duplicate the death, lol.