Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Laptop shuts down randomly while playing Sims 3?  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
twotones121214

Yesterday was the first time I ever had this issue, by the way! I was playing the Sims 3 yesterday, and after a few hours (I HAVE played that amount of time and longer before!!) my laptop just shut off. Totally randomly. My AC adapter was not plugged in, so I figured it was out of battery, though still when my system is typically out of battery it shuts down slowly. It wouldn't turn on. After leaving it out overnight, I called tech support and was instructed to press the reset button on the bottom of my computer. It worked, laptop turned on. Sure enough, 0% charge!

However, an hour or so later, it happened again, this time with 23% charge. I reset it again, and it worked! But now I'm afraid to play the Sims 3 again because I fear it's an overheating issue. My laptop does get hot whenever I play the game, so I used SpeedFan to monitor temperatures. I tuned down settings, normally played beautifully on all high, and windowed the game. My laptop I believe has a maximum temp of 100C. Highest temp I got was 93C.

Now my laptop is a gaming laptop, mind you. Here are the specs:

4 GB of RAM
nVidia 9800M GS card w/ 512 MB of VRAM

So why does it get so hot, even on low settings???? My fan seems to be working fine, too.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/27/10 07:09 PM

Citrusmoon

Well it looks like your computer overheated. 93C is a redzone for any kind of computer, especially for laptops. The recommended computer heat should be around 60C below.
Computer shutting down because overheated once is good enough for the laptops to get damaged permanently.

I would strongly suggest you to buy a Laptop Cooler from any near by computer store. They only costs like $20~30.
Avoid playing on places that are warm, such as on top of blankets, cushions, pillows etc. Keep it cool as much as you can. Playing by the window is one good option too.
Also, when your laptop is shut off, you should use Air Cans to blow into the vent so if there was any dusts that was in the system, can be blown out. Those dust can really collect heat into laptop body and it's bad.

Also, Sims 3 is known to over throttle, makes the video card and your computer system work harder than it should, creating lots of stress and heat.
Since you are using nVidia video card, go to:
Right click on desktop -> NnVidia Control Panel -> Under "3D Settings" click on "Manage 3D settings" -> Scroll down on "Global Setting" and look for "Vertical Sync" -> Click on pull down tab and chose "Force On" -> Apply the change.

This limits the game to run under 60FPS and makes the game lot stable.
When the game over throttle, it goes more than 60FPS ~ 150FPS and this can put lots of stress on the computer, making the game unstable.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/27/10 07:19 PM

twotones121214

Thank you for the advice I just did what you said with the vertical sync, and it seems to be fluctuating around the mid-80's...is this good or bad? The cores, meaning the two parts of my Intel Core 2 Duo processor stay at a fairly constant 60-65C as well, forgot to mention.

Edit: Typo
Edit again: Never mind, now it's at 89C, I fear it will soon go into the 90C range again...which it just did :O evil computer D:

Edit again: These temps I've been mentioning are all GPU...my cores reach probably a max of 65C....I'm not sure which matters :/

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/27/10 07:51 PM

Citrusmoon

Both CPU and GPU should not reach above 60C if you can. Probably 80C is the max should reach, after that, you should rest your PC for a while.
Gaming laptops and regular laptops has heat issue to begin with and there's no fix for it but for the owners to monitor + buy cooling items to keep comp temp low as possible =/

twotones121214

Thanks again for all your help =D I dug out an old fan from the basement, still works like a charm, and now the temperature hovers around 79-80C for the GPU!! Subject to change, of course, but I'm quite pleased!
rosy2468

well mine does the same thing, but i discvered it only happenes when my sim watches tv, plays on the computer or plays their guitar for tips, so i have to avoid doing those things....and sadly the fun things

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: