Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
my game is acting weird  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
stephspins

so every 30 seconds, my game freezes but then comes back. i can still move the cursor around, but the clock stops changing. also, animations such as steam or water continues, but my sims freeze in place. has anyone ever heard of this? how can i fix it?
zerobandwidth

One of my saved games is also doing this right now. I have a six-person family (all young adults) in the China vacation setting. I have noticed some additional details:

• During a freeze, the cursor moves smoothly with the mouse, but doesn't change state, and can't interact with anything.

• If the cursor was causing a mouse-over tooltip to be shown, then that tooltip is frozen in place.

• During a freeze, the game will take no inputs from the keyboard, mouse, or other HIDs. However, the devices are not completely "locked out". For example, the Alt+D hotkey still drops to the desktop, and the game continues to "run" (such as it is) in the background until restored. Further, all inputs attempted during the freeze are processed immediately when the freeze ends. For example, if you're stuck in Live Mode, and you hit the Map Mode hotkey and 0 to pause, then when the game unfreezes, you'll instantly be in Map Mode with the game paused.

• During a freeze, all sims stop moving.

• During a freeze, time stops.

• The time between freezes seems to be linked to sim time, not real time. The time between freezes is perceptibly shorter when on speed 3 when compared to speed 1. In my experience, the game does not freeze while time is paused. Since I have been stuck in vacation mode, I can't verify whether Buy or Build modes are impacted, but while paused, I have entered Edit Town and Create-a-Sim modes, with no freezes.

• The freeze seems to occur when any sim's action is enqueued or changes state (for example, by clicking the "Go to Base Camp" option on the sim's icon, or when a sim makes the transition from "getting into bed" to "sleeping"). My game is freezing too often to diagnose whether this is coincidence or a real observation, and it's tough to pinpoint exactly when a sim that isn't selected is changing state.

• During a freeze, CPU usage occasionally spikes. I have a gaming keyboard with an LCD that can display system information. Using this meter, I have noticed that at least one CPU core, and sometimes multiple cores, will spike while the game is frozen, but will not stay spiked, as if some calculation is proceeding in the background but partially freezing the foreground.

• All animations and music continue at normal speed as if nothing was wrong. If frozen on the map screens, a flock of birds will occasionally fly by. If on the main screen, trees wave in the wind, insects buzz, strings of "ZZZZZZ" still waft up from sleeping sims.

• My DxDiag data appears below:
    EDIT (2010-04-12): I deleted the DxDiag data because it turned out to be irrelevant. See my post from today, further down in the thread.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/12/10 05:34 PM

Nichaedemus

Hi,

For those experiencing game lag, the following thread may be of interest to you:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/178853.page

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
    Robert_AF709

I just finished a complete reinstall of the Sims3, WA and HELS offline. I visited a lot in virgin Sunset Valley and I am not noticing freezing and the autonomous Sims are working and I assume going to school. Also, I have a bug where new Sims are not complete and stand behind their front door all night, similar to the Sims2 University Students (when seen in buy or build mode). I have not reinstalled any custom content or saved games, however. I will continue experimenting but I suspect that the files for much played neighborhoods become hopelessly corrupted over time and require replacement. This is not good for those of us that love the long term storylines can can be created. This game is simply too complex and makes me wonder if PC games are doomed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/10 06:53 PM

zerobandwidth

Stephspins - After my earlier response to your post, I fixed the original issue in my game, and I think this might be the cause of your issue as well.

It turned out that one of my sims was stuck in a location from which the game's pathing algorithms could find no way out. I finally noticed that one of my sims was constantly cancelling all of his actions, and when I selected him and tried to send him home (or, in my case, Base Camp), he would constantly complain about not having a way to get there.

When I paused the game and moved the cursor around him, everything showed up as "No interactions available." except for a tiny strip of ground in front of him. When I moved him to the end of that strip, a little bit more of the area in his new location was available. I basically had to keep selecting small movements over and over until he managed to walk out to a place where the game could figure out how to "get away" from there.

THE FIX:

1. Set into Live Mode and pause the game.
    2. Select one of your sims.
    3. Give that sim an action that moves him/her away from his current location.
    4. Unpause Live Mode.
    5. If the sim cheerfully goes about completing the action, then that sim isn't the problem. Go back to step 2 with a different sim.
    6. If the game freezes in the next few sim-minutes, and selected sim complains afterward that no path to the destination is available, then you've found your problem sim. Pause the game again in Live Mode.
    7. Move your mouse around the problem sim until you find an open space that has the pointer and footprints icon (for walking to that location). If you find more than one, try to pick the one that gets you closest to a wide-open space (like a road or yard).
    8. Unpause, wait for the movement to be completed, and immediately pause again.
    9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 until you reach a wide-open space.
    10. Try sending the sim to Home/Base Camp. If it works, then that sim has escaped the Place With No Way Out, and your game will now stop freezing!
    11. Celebrate fixing a problem with The Sims 3 that doesn't involve reinstalling and repatching for the rest of the time you had set aside for enjoying something instead.

THINGS TO AVOID IN THE FUTURE:

• Shorelines surrounded by steep cliffs. My "problem sim" was fishing on the shore of the river in the China vacation area. When I tried to send him to Base Camp, the pathing algorithm must have considered the terrain too steep, and froze trying to search for a way out. Be especially mindful of this when sending your sims down to a river to fish for -- oh, you know, eight hours or so, especially in the vacation areas, where there are a lot of tiny secluded bits of hard-to-reach shoreline.

• Crowded rooms with few exits. This is more a case of bad building design than unsafe terrain design. Try to build your buildings with lots of exits. Use double doors, wide arches, and wide staircases anywhere you expect high traffic. At best, you'll get a lot of sims cancelling their actions because they don't think there's a way out. At worst, your game will freeze because it thinks there might be a way out and it's going to spend the next 30 seconds trying to calculate it.

• I hope this helps...
    Nancy

stephspins wrote:so every 30 seconds, my game freezes but then comes back. i can still move the cursor around, but the clock stops changing. also, animations such as steam or water continues, but my sims freeze in place. has anyone ever heard of this? how can i fix it?

I have the exact same problem.
    Like the trees still move even though my sims are still

I don't think any of my sims are stuck
    because its been going on for about 2 weeks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/12/10 05:44 PM

Okblondee7

Thank goodness there are others experiencing this! I'll have to play the newly installed (third time) game to see if I can find the lag culprit.

If only I could understand why my 80GB hard drive has dwindled down to 20GB after installing. All diagnostics say 'healthy', no problems so I can only assume(ack) that there are duplicated files somewhere, maybe even old Sims2 files that didn't completely uninstall?

I believe it is related to the game only because I do nothing on my computer except check mail, play the game and d/l CC.

But I digress, this is an issue for another thread...
    Cyberqueen13

zerobandwidth wrote:One of my saved games is also doing this right now. I have a six-person family (all young adults) in the China vacation setting. I have noticed some additional details:

• During a freeze, the cursor moves smoothly with the mouse, but doesn't change state, and can't interact with anything.

• If the cursor was causing a mouse-over tooltip to be shown, then that tooltip is frozen in place.

• During a freeze, the game will take no inputs from the keyboard, mouse, or other HIDs. However, the devices are not completely "locked out". For example, the Alt+D hotkey still drops to the desktop, and the game continues to "run" (such as it is) in the background until restored. Further, all inputs attempted during the freeze are processed immediately when the freeze ends. For example, if you're stuck in Live Mode, and you hit the Map Mode hotkey and 0 to pause, then when the game unfreezes, you'll instantly be in Map Mode with the game paused.

• During a freeze, all sims stop moving.

• During a freeze, time stops.

• The time between freezes seems to be linked to sim time, not real time. The time between freezes is perceptibly shorter when on speed 3 when compared to speed 1. In my experience, the game does not freeze while time is paused. Since I have been stuck in vacation mode, I can't verify whether Buy or Build modes are impacted, but while paused, I have entered Edit Town and Create-a-Sim modes, with no freezes.

• The freeze seems to occur when any sim's action is enqueued or changes state (for example, by clicking the "Go to Base Camp" option on the sim's icon, or when a sim makes the transition from "getting into bed" to "sleeping"). My game is freezing too often to diagnose whether this is coincidence or a real observation, and it's tough to pinpoint exactly when a sim that isn't selected is changing state.

• During a freeze, CPU usage occasionally spikes. I have a gaming keyboard with an LCD that can display system information. Using this meter, I have noticed that at least one CPU core, and sometimes multiple cores, will spike while the game is frozen, but will not stay spiked, as if some calculation is proceeding in the background but partially freezing the foreground.

• All animations and music continue at normal speed as if nothing was wrong. If frozen on the map screens, a flock of birds will occasionally fly by. If on the main screen, trees wave in the wind, insects buzz, strings of "ZZZZZZ" still waft up from sleeping sims.

• My DxDiag data appears below:
    EDIT (2010-04-12): I deleted the DxDiag data because it turned out to be irrelevant. See my post from today, further down in the thread.

Add me to the list. I have the same experiences now. Seems to happen in custom worlds (Red County). Hasn't happen to me yet in an EA world. I read somewhere that you have to find some sim that is stuck and reset it, then the game will be fixed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 08/17/10 03:10 AM

I Dream of Sims
    Xcom46

Ok i find that installed content is causing issues not sure witch ones ok try this if you have installed content from this site it may be causing the freezing issue when my sims young adult sims fall a sleep they freez up while holding one another And im starting to think its In game content from The Exchange that is freezing game.I only have about 6 or 7 sims installed from the Exchange mostly all females.Some body figure out witch they are let me know.

This can get very annoying some times

Check out some of my new Sims and House i built.

http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Xcom46/mystudio
    bethifer

Hey all, I had the same issue. If you don't mind installing mods, I installed a mod that fixed the game completely.

Here is a link to my thread about it with directions on what exactly I did: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/319190.page

Basically, I used the Master Controller mod to reset everything in the town. Resetting it unstuck whatever was stuck and making the game freeze. Additionally, I installed the Over Watch mod to help with the extra (and useless) laggy cars.

I liked the Master Controller mod because it allowed me to reset everything at once. I didn't have to find the character that was stuck.
    Keen_Man

fix for game pausing every few seconds for me has always been to hit ctrl shift c then type in

resetsim *

cacapstick

It may not be a sim you're playing with that has the issue. To quickly reset all of the sims in your town without modding your game... go to Edit Town, click on your lot, choose save and then you'll get a warning message to say this will reset interactions for all current sims. Click ok and then save your changes before returning to your game.

I had the sticking thing and was at a loss, I found this fix while looking at moving my current household to a brand-new game, but didn't need to in the end.
    PurpleGhost

I'm going through exactly the same problem! I thought it was something to do with my computer but apparently not! I've read all the tips you guys have put up and I'm very grateful for them. I think I'm gonna try and see if there's a 'stuck sim' somewhere in my neighbourhood. I'll let you know what I find!
    ttttttfanman

I have the sims 3 supernatural and lags between 3 and 5PM sim time evey day. Need help.
    lolamyers

cacapstick wrote:It may not be a sim you're playing with that has the issue. To quickly reset all of the sims in your town without modding your game... go to Edit Town, click on your lot, choose save and then you'll get a warning message to say this will reset interactions for all current sims. Click ok and then save your changes before returning to your game.

I had the sticking thing and was at a loss, I found this fix while looking at moving my current household to a brand-new game, but didn't need to in the end.

This didnt work for me. I guess because it didnt actually move them it didnt fix the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/02/12 01:40 AM

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
    Go to: