Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Writer's Block :: NO NEW LESSONS :: SEE MY LAST POST  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Stories and Legacies
Micky101037

Hello and welcome to Writer's Block; A Fun and Creative Writing Help Thread!

My name is Micky101037 and I will be one of the two thread managers here! I will be happy to help you with any questions you may have about writing, be it in the technical aspect of writing, or the creative.

I mainly do short stories, and will be glad to help with any problems you are experiencing. My partner and co-thread manager Sherry1968, runs her own legacy story and is very helpful with longer stories.

This thread will have a weekly lesson that can help you with your writing. For example: Plot, Character Development, Under-lying Conflict. These are just a few of the many topics we will cover in this thread! We will also provide a theme for you to write about, but it is completely up to you whether or not you use it.

Whether you are a struggling writer just starting out, or an experienced savant whipping up stories, you can join us here for a fun, friendly, and creative learning atmosphere!

The Basics

Lesson 1-Brainstorming and Pre-Writing.

Lesson 2-The First Page

Lesson 3-Rising Action and Basic Conflict

Lesson 4-The "Spices"

Unit One - Conflict

Lesson 5-Character vs. Character Conflict

Lesson 6-Character vs. Nature Conflict

Lesson 7-Character vs. Society Conflict

Lesson 8-Primary Conflict

Lesson 9-Underlying Conflict

Unit Two - Characters

Lesson 10-Basic Characters

Lesson 11-The Main Character(s)

Lesson 12-Creating (Perfect) Characters

Lesson 13-Introducing Your Characters

Lesson 14-Dialogue Time-Part 1

Lesson 15-Dialogue Time-Part2

Lesson 16-Speaking Without Words

Lesson 17-SWW Dissection

Unit Two Overview

Unit 3 - Description

Lesson 18-Adjective Basics

Lesson 19-Hyperboles

Lesson 20-Tips and Tricks

Lesson 21-Sensory Details - Sight

Lesson 22-Sensory Details - Sound

Lesson 23-Sensory Details - Smell

Lesson 24-Sensory Details - Taste

Lesson 25-Sensory Details - Touch

Lesson 26- Similes

Lesson 27- Metaphors

Unit Three Overview

Unit Four - Plot

Lesson 28- What Is Plot?

Lesson 29- The Exposition

Lesson 30- Rising Action

Lesson 31- Major and Minor Events

Lesson 32- The Climax

Lesson 33- Falling Action

Lesson 34- The Resolution

Lesson 35- Plot Twists

NOTE TO ALL: The lessons here at Writer's Block are weekly, and will come out each Friday-Saturday. Be aware, I live in the Mid-western United States, so I will be following the time there. Please be patient and aware to the fact that while it may be time for the next lesson in your area, it may not be in mine.

This message was edited 58 times. Last update was at 11/21/11 02:07 AM

Sherry1968

Hi everyone, I'm Sherry1968. Welcome to the Writers' Block. Micky and I hope that you will share your stories with us, and come here if you need any help with writing. We will do our best to share what we have learned with you.

I have been playing Sims for maybe 2 or 3 years. I love the Sims, and I love to write, so it was only natural that the two would eventually come together.

I started a legacy mainly because I wanted to join in a Build n Share challenge and we had to make a legacy heir and home that week. It turned out to be a lot of fun, so I kept going with it. It is called the Vanne Legacy, and here is the link:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/158906.page
I hope you enjoy it. I have not been able to write in it much in the past month, but hopefully I will have time to add on to it this week.

Thanks for stopping by, and we hope to see you again soon!
Sherry1968

Helpful Links
Screenshot Tips and Tricks
Writing Contest by NekoWolf37
Midnight's Story Tips

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 08/04/10 04:07 PM

Micky101037

Writer's Block Rules:

Outside of EAs regular forum rules, found here, our rules are as follows:

1. Be appropriate. Please no immature comments, they are rude and dis-respectful.

2. No advertising. While it is good to provide links to your finished works, please no massive advertising posts just to boost your views/downloads.

3. Critique with Care. While we want you to comment on other's pieces, there is always a way to be friendly about it.

4. Don't make fun of someone else's work. How would you feel if someone trashed your hard work?

5. Be creative, ask questions, and have fun!

Best regards,
~Micky

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/02/10 09:40 PM

Micky101037

This first week's lesson is: Brainstorming and Pre-Writing.

Brainstorming: Brainstorming is one of the key factors to good writing. It can lead to even better ideas than you had previously had. To brainstorm, simply grab paper, pencil, or in this case mouse and keyboard. Write down all of your ideas, and any other ones that come to you. Once you think you are done, read over your ideas and revise your favorites. Once you have done this, pick your idea and start your pre-writing!

Pre-Writing: Pre-Writing is another equally important factor in your compositions. It often determines the plot, setting, and characters! Once you have your idea, just start writing out how you think the story would go. Example: Write out the list of events, the characters, the setting, and the first few sentences/paragraphs. A lot of people have good ideas, but rush into them without their pre-writing. This can give an un-organized and sloppy look to your writing. Pre-writing is a simple step in the writing process, but that doesn't mean you should overlook it!

Your homework: Your homework for this week's lesson is to brainstorm and pre-write. Simply post your various ideas, and we can help you decide if you are having trouble picking one. Then just post the characters (each with a brief description) setting, plot, and the first few sentences/paragraphs. Please head these, so if one of the community doesn't want to know what happens they can retain that liberty. An example is given below.

My brainstorming: Small town...High school...Senior...Trouble...New Student...

My pre-writing:

Characters: Lily Somerset, a high-school senior with dreams much bigger than her small town. Jake Somerset, the single father of Lily, Jake has spent his entire life trying to shield his daughter from the pain he has had.

Setting: Lecksville, Alabama, in the mid 1960s.

Plot: Lily is in her senior year when her high school has a new student. The new student is quiet and reserved, with a big secret.

First Few Sentences: "I was tapping my pencil against my desk when Mr. Kelly's door slowly creaked open. Everyone, inlcuding me, raised their gaze to the timid creature standing in the doorway. She had two neat brown ponytails sprouting from her head and a simple plaid dress. Somewhere in the back of the room I heard someone snort at her ponytails, but Mr. Kelly shot them a look. The hair was childish, I must admit, but I kind of liked it."

We look forward to your responses!

Best regards,
~Micky

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/19/10 12:19 PM

berrypie27

Location:Chillin with Lo and discussing things of great importance!

This is a really neat idea! Good luck with this
Micky101037

Thank you Berrypie27 for dropping in!

Sherry1968

Thanks Berrypie!

So Micky, can I use this for my legacy? I want to add a little depth to the story so far.

For those who have been following my legacy:

WARNING - SPOILER!!

brainstorming... mystery, ghost, small girl, mother, tragic death.

Pre-Writing

Characters: Cara Vanne, writer and mother, married to Leighton Sekemoto, Autumn Breeze, young girl ghost, Summer Breeze, mother ghost

Setting: Creepy old house on a back road

Plot: Cara meets a young child who is a ghost and finds that she has a tragic past. Can she help solve the mystery?

First Few Sentences: Cara was out looking for more precious stones. They were really helping out with the bills so she felt like it was a good hobby to have in between being a writer and a mother. She had never been through this particular neighborhood before, but she was hoping to find some more valuable gems or metals here. As she ambled further down the street, she felt the hair raise on the back of her neck. There was a cute little house in the distance, but as she drew closer Cara saw that it was really not cute. The paint was peeling, and the yard was filled with brambles and dead trees. She couldn't help the feeling that she was being watched. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw something move next to the house, but when she turned her head, there was nothing there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/02/10 09:52 PM

Micky101037

Sherry, you don't really need my help, but I love what you have! It's very suspenseful and makes you want to keep reading. The only thing I would do is be careful. In ghost stories there are a lot of cliches. For example, don't overdo it with the: Phone rings and no one there, the lights go out, mysterious bumps in the night ect. Just use those elements sparingly and I have no doubt it will be a great addition to your legacy!

Best regards,
~Micky

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/02/10 11:57 PM

Sherry1968

Lol, I see what you mean Micky. But isn't that what ghost stories are all about? Really bad cliches? And even if I don't completely need your help, it's nice to have a fresh perspective sometimes. But I was gonna go in a slightly different direction than that, lol. Are you saying you didn't like the hair on the back of Cara's neck standing up?

Micky101037

Sherry, your humorous approach to things never ceases to make me laugh. Here is a smiley just for you

Best regards,
~Micky

judywork1957

Ohhhhh You two have managed to entice me back here with this!!

I don't really know what experience category I fall into as far as writing. I've been writing my own stories for years. Sometimes I write them down, other times I just create and keep them in my head!

I love the whole sims approach to story telling where I can have a basic idea, set it up in the game and carry it through with the characters there. I have done some previous ones and am now currently working on a loosely based legacy type story thread. Here is the link to it for anyone who would like to view it.
http://www.simmerssociety.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemi
d=4&func=view&catid=12&id=6896

It's called the Legend of Nellie Vance. My brainstorming for the story idea came partly from the legacy challenges.

Young single adult starting out life on her own in a new town. She grew up in foster homes, had no family and little money. My main idea was to follow her through her life's ups and downs, and let the story develop with what the game gives her. I want the story to be about her entire family, how they became a family and end up where they're at in future generations. So that way down the line the future generations can say, Well- it all started with Nellie?!

RepulsiveDesire1

What an incredible idea. I'm going to have to bookmark this and read it later.

Hugzies

this is such a good idea, i have already put lesson one to good use! i am new to legacy writing and eat up all the tips that i can get my grubby hands on. if either of you have a free second to check out my legacy i would be thankful for any feedback you may have

Micky101037

Judywork1957- Judy!It's so good to see you here! I have been following your story since it first came out. I love how realistic you make it, expecially the everyday trifles that you include. Keep up the good work!

RepulsiveDesire- I recall you at The Simmers Society, and it's good to see you here!

Hugzies- Thank you, and good job doing your homework! If you say you are new to legacy writing, then this is the perfect place for you. I mainly do short stories, so there are probably some aspects of legacies I can not help with. However, I'll do my best to. And when in doubt just ask Sherry, she's done legacies for a while.

PS. Hugzies, while I don't have time to read your legacy right now, I promise you I will.

Best regards,
~Micky

EmmaSmile

Good idea!

Post Reply Forum Index » Stories and Legacies
Go to: