Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Venice Lagoon World - Finished  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Nekkocat

Venice Lagoon world consists of four of the many islands that make up the Venice Lagoon:

Venice: An upper middle class neighborhood of canal houses and shopping
Burano: A middle class neighborhood of colorful homes, painted by fishermen to make them easier to find in the fog.
Sant’Erasmo: An agricultural island, dedicated to growing the food that Venice eats.
Isla San Michele: An island where the dead are buried.

Features:
Fish from your backyard in the canal.
Listen to the calming effect of the waves and seagulls
Neighbors are nearby and you can hear them talking outside
The real Venice has no cars, but Sim Venice does allow cars
Many trails for further fishing or collecting enjoyment
Live in a crowded city, or semi-isolated farm

Overhead view of world:

Downtown Venice

Sant'Erasmo farmland

Criminal Hideout (I had fun decorating the lot)

Graveyard (Has all 3 mosoleums so if your Sim dies check all 3 for the urn. It does not have any ghosts - until your sims die that is.)

WA required
Patch 2.3.33 or later

Map Size: Large
Spawners: All base game spawners for plants, gems, and bugs are included
Routing: All areas are routable except for certain places near the ruins, Criminal Rabbithole and Military Rabbithole.
Layers: 12 layers were used.
Terrain paint: No block exceeds the 8 color limit recommendation set on terrain paint usage.

Lot Stats:
Total:

Residential: 67
Commercial: 26

Venice:
Residential: 26
20x30 14
30x40 1
30x30 5
20x40 6
Empty: 5
Commercial: 22
Empty: 15x20 5
Rabbitholes: All included, except Diner (it doesn’t fit the theme)
Other: Gym, Library, Museum, Café Florian (food register), 4 Parks, Public Swimming Pool

Burano:
Residential: 21
(0 empty lots)
20x20 21
Commercial: 3
Business and Journalism Rabbithole, Park, Store (contains registers for General Store and Food)

Sant’Erasmo:
Residential: 20
All empty
60x60 5
30x30 3
30x40 3
20x30 6
20x40 1
40x40 2
Commercial: 1 Park

Custom content:
1. Rabbithole Rugs by Jynx (link has been fixed):
http://www.customsims3.com/smf/index.php?topic=1931.0
Download and extract the Hospital, Business, School and Military signs.
2. Spanish Balconies - nanism (Optional)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=385948
3. Door with Glass by lemoncandy (Optional)
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=373833

The Venice Lagoon World Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2neu3nmy3tm/Venice Lagoon World.rar

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/29/10 02:11 AM

Nekkocat

The Myth of Venice Lagoon

Once upon a time there was a lagoon in the Simiterranean Sea. The islands in this lagoon had been settled by desperate villagers fleeing the warlike era in which they had been born. The city they built eventually turned into a grand nation of shipbuilders and traders who ruled over the neighboring lands with an iron fist and a lenient democracy. However, with the passage of time the great nation fell into ruin and, being nothing more than a marshland overloaded with heavy cement and buildings, it slowly sank beneath the waves to be forgotten, falling from the pages of history into the realm of mythology.

Move forward many decades, and we are introduced to a rather unique family from the ordinary town of Sunset Valley. The Emperor of Evil, Leofric, his brother, Leofwine, his sister-in-law Godiva and nephew Wulfric. Leofric was quite insane, childish, and emotional. Given to whims of fancy he would often add on to his house in odd and rather architecturally demanding ways. Leofwine, who was also the Leader of the Free World was constantly worrying over his little brother.

One day Leofric awoke in a panic. Running to his basement his worst nightmare had come to pass: it was flooded. There was water everywhere.

Leofwine and Godiva tried to convince him that it was not his basement that was flooded, but the swimming pool he had built next to the house. A large window allowed one to view the pool from the basement. Leofric, however, would not be consoled.

Calling a press conference he explained his latest plan. The plan of all plans to dry out his flooded basement by ridding the world of all its water! Holding a teddy bear and wearing pale blue swimming shorts with yellow duckies on them he proceeded to rant and rave about the glories of the supreme world he would create when the danger of flooded basements was gone.

Wulfric infiltrated the “Outstanding Citizens Warehouse” and found the plans for the convoluted and badly constructed invention that was going to be used to rid the world of its water. Godiva and Leofwine poured over the plans, along with several scientists from the Science Lab. Eventually, they realized how to stop Leofric’s evil plan.

But they were too late. Looking up into the sky they saw a red laser being aimed from a satellite overhead into the ocean. All the water began to disappear. Quickly, the scientists enacted their plan and the laser beam was cut off. But not before most of the worlds water was locked up in the polar ice caps.

In the aftermath of this near disaster many land masses that had once been hidden under water were now revealed. Including Venice Lagoon.

Badly damaged by years underwater, it was no longer relegated to the world of myth, but was now returned to reality. Construction was begun almost immediately on restoring it to its former glory, but there is still a lot of work to do. Large blocks of concrete are missing from the canals resulting in uneven walls that are slowly being repaired. The outlying islands are in the worst shape as oddly shaped coastlines and flooded farmland echo badly the grandeur that was once one of the most powerful nations in the world.

And what of Leofric and his family? They moved to Venice and are now comfortably ensconced in a house without a swimming pool. Leofric’s medication has been quadrupled and Wulfric keeps a close eye on his Uncle, making sure his flights of fancy, remain a little less fanciful as they were in the past.
Diskette66

Wow, this looks really nicely done and unusual as well. I think I will check it out
Nekkocat

Q&A and other things I may want to add later

Looking for more realism?
Have your Sims ride bikes or mopeds. To get the moped, press “Ctrl + C” and type “buydebug”. Go into buy mode and you will see a new category with a question mark “?”. The moped is in there.

Why are there roads? I thought Venice didn't allow cars.
I tried removing the roads in Venice and Burano, but I ran into two problems:
1. The map is too big and everyone ended up being late for work or school.
2. The game tried to route school children in the most indirect route possible and they didn’t get to the school rabbithole until noon.

How do I fish from the Canal?
Sometimes when you click the canal and tell your Sim to fish, she will run to the car, drive to the other side of the canal and fish from there. This has to do with how the game decides routing, and makes no sense to me since the location the Sim was originally in is closer to the fish.
The best way to get around this is to move your sim to the side of the canal and then click on the jumping fish closest to her side of the canal and then tell her to fish.

Does this work with High End Loft Stuff?
Yes.

Do I need to install CAW before installing Venice Lagoon?
No, you do not.

Do I need WA installed to use Venice Lagoon?
Yes.

Do I need to install the custom content?
No... but... it won't be easy.
The door and the window grates are fine if you don't use them. The door will default to a different in-game door and the grates just won't show up (but the windows will be fine without them.)
However... the rabbitholes are a different matter.
If you choose not to use the custom rugs, you will have to replace the Military, Hospital, Business and Journalism and School rabbitholes with the in-game ones and they may not fit on the lots unless you use the "moveobjects on" cheat.

Have fun playing! Let me know what you think about it. It's finished, but I'm still hoping to revisit it if CAW ever gets more features. There are a lot of limitations right now that are difficult to work around.

erinmblair19

What a wonderful world. It does look like Venice...except for the roads. However, I totally understand why you put them there, You should register this world with the World Index, too. It will get more people to download your world.
girlyb

WOW, this is spectacular! I'll download and try it out.

My Desert World:
Terra Pintado
Nekkocat

I'm glad you like it. I made a request for it to be added to the world index, so it should be there in a day or two.

A lot of people have downloaded so far, so if any of you have any comments, that would be great. Even if you don't like it, go ahead and tell me why.
Diskette66

Nekkocat! I love it.... honestly I don't know how you pulled this off... it's so lovely, so unique, and it actually works!! Very much gives the feel for what I imagine Italy (my dream destination) to be like.

I was so impressed I took a ton of screenshots from my game to show others. Going to post some pics to show off your world.
Diskette66

San Marco with the village of Burano in the background

More downtown San Marco

Canal overview

Along the canal

Overview of San Marco

Even more downtown San Marco

Downtown

Fishing in the canal

Kinda hard to see but sunbathing!!

Everything works!

Very elaborate cemetery

Example of the homes in Burano section. My sim lives in the green house with laundry hanging out front.

Criminal hideout is actually quite isolated and well hidden; had a hard time getting a good shot of it, lol

Down by the docks in Burano

Scenic drive (or walk) through the orchards

Library to left and corporate business/journalism on right

Gorgeous gym by the water. Hard to see in the pic but there is a pool below the columns.

School, complete with playground and intramural swimming pool

Bookstore, etc.

Museum and cafe in the forefront

Can't get enough of downtown!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/28/10 04:58 PM

Emilywatson88

i love it! what a shame our sims can't travel by boat (or gondola!). hopefully one day they will add that feature
Glosoli

Wow. I can't wait to try this if it's half as atmospheric as it looks. I sure as hell don't have the budget to actually visit Venice, but at least I can have my Sims visit it here...

EDIT: The link for the rabbit hole rugs didn't work for me, but Google grabbed the correct one.

" http://www.customsims3.com/smf/index.php?topic=1931.0 " seems to work just fine!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/28/10 07:28 PM

Rflong7

How fabulous! I love the theme, plus canal and the Museum and Cafe.

Nekkocat

Gosh, Diskette66, that was really nice of you to add all those pictures I've been busy trying to get screenshots to prepare a thread for uploading to MTS and was suffering from "picture overload" when I was making theSims3.com thread, lol. So I really appreaciate it.

The graveyard and the criminal hideout were my favorite lots to make, as you guys can probably tell, lol.

Thanks Glosoli for pointing out the bad link. I'll get that fixed.

I'm glad so many people like it.
BSIRegina

I was going to comment on this last night but got side-tracked and forgot.

When I opened the thread I was asking myself if this map would be special enough to justify taking up space on my poor old hard-drive. I looked at the first pictures and decided it was pretty nice but that I would most likely pass.

After looking at Diskette's set of pictures I am definitely giving this one some serious thought. I'm always looking for worlds that are excellent quality and add novelty to my game.

This is nice, very nice indeed!

misscbong

Oh, yay! I've been considering doing Venice for quite some time now, but couldn't figure out how to make the map drop off so perfectly into the water like yours...everything looks beautiful!

Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Go to: