Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Red Assassin, the bug that isn't in the game (and the bug that is).  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » World Adventures
Zetawilk

Well, my game's up to date and I'm not using any mods. I have to mention this first, since the majority of you can't read past the topic, let alone the first sentence, and you're already typing up unhelpful responses gleaned from the first page of a google search.

Anyways, I was appalled at the fact there are NO search results on this site's forum for the phrase "red assassin", since it's clear there's a major bug in this game where the Red Assassin insect apparently doesn't exist in-game. Yet there are quests in China directing your Sims to collect Red Assassins. Well, these quests aren't completable for this reason.

So my question is, did they not test play this game? Clearly you can't complete this adventure. Is there a cheat to get beyond this grievous error?

Charsiupao

The Red Assassin bug can take a few days to spawn, like Mummitomium. When the adventure is active it doesn't mean that there are any on the map at that time. I've spent a whole 3-day trip in Simhara waiting for the Mummitomium and never got one at times.

I've never had a problem collecting that bug, whether the adventure was active or not.
jtravers88

I can give you the 'lowdown' on this varmint. China is my fav vacation so I've run into this mission a few times.

When you receive the mission, go out to the map view of the village / area and you will be presented with a few icons on the map for the red assassin.

When you arrive at one of these locations, you won't see the bug immediately. You might see a black bug or nothing. Just hold that location and within 5 to 10 minutes of sim time you'll see one or more bright, more orange than red, dots on the ground.

Have your sim capture the red version. There is a chance your sim will fail at trapping the bug.

These little creatures are worth over 900 simoleans apiece. You might be tempted to drop the mission and just sell them instead.

Outside of the mission, I've never seen one, but then I don't run around looking either.

Hope this helps.
Crazycatldy

The Red Assassin Bug is there.
I've caught a few.

Your first paragraph cracked me up.
cllevett

I was thinking that this was also bugged but reading the above perhaps I am wrong. When I get this quest I just dismiss it.

Jaghar7

Well Mario, I certainly sympathize with your first few comments but that aside you're giving up a bit too easily I think.

The assassin bug spawners also spawn water beetles but only one group of bugs will be available from this particular spawner at any given time. The earlier comment is correct that is can sometimes take days for them to appear if you leave the spawns to their own devices.

They DO exist. Most people just complain about how hard they are to find. If there are none tagged on the map, you may be able to speed up their appearance by collecting some water beetles. (Every spot with water beetles is a potential location for assassin bugs).

Once a tag appears in map view, zoom in and wait for a bit. Most of the beetles spawns in China are on uneven terrain and it sometimes takes awhile for them to crawl out from under their rocks even after the game finally decides to render them.

Ironically, your topic line is perfectly accurate. Just not in the way that you intended.

cllevett

Thanks for the info Jagha! I kept getting frustrated because I had bugs tagged when I showed up it was those darn water beetles! I didn't even think they could be the same spawn point!

With all the WA bugs I just assumed it was another one like Mario.

Greenb70

What may help with more spawning is to use the buydebug on cheat in edit town to place a few more spawners in China.Just remember even newly placed spawners can take a few days to produce so sometimes a longer vacation stay is the answer.
Jaghar7

On that note, if you'll notice the very first time you go to China nothing is spawned at all. It takes a few days for everything to come in. The spawners will eventually despawn also. So if you wait long enough, eventually the water beetles will go away on their own (and so will assassin bugs).

Also, foreign spawns will not produce foreign insects (or metals, or gems) when placed in the home neighborhood. I've tried. They will produce anything that occurs naturally in the home neighborhood though. So if you place an assassin beetle spawner at home then all you will ever get are water beetles.

I had a thread on the subject a number of weeks back but never included my findings on metals and gems. I had wanted glowy butterlies in my garden could never get them so I tested all foreign spawners at home.

Another note: When you click the red assassin beetle tag, remember that the camera zoom in exactly to that spot (terrain and camera placement permitting) though in a lot of cases there may be another spawn nearby. Don't let it confuse you. Also, when on a mission to find them turn your collection helper off, it doesn't help that much in cases like this anyway. The bugs will appear as mission tags on the overhead view.

Zetawilk

Nah, I'm just completely chalking this up to a bug in the game itself. I've seen numerous forum posts around the internet with people unable to find bugs in this game, ehther they're red assassin or scarabs or cerambryx. And I can vouch amongst others that custom mods are NOT the sole proprietor of this glitch. I just hope it's recognized that even in the cases when bugs are invisible, it's still a frustrating problem.

That and the occurrences where Report In cannot be accomplished because the Sim necessary to Report In to either doesn't exist or has some kind of mystical protection from being seen on the map or interacted with.

Jaghar7

There was a bug in one of the patches that turned insects invisible but that's been fixed. It's possible others aren't compeltely patched up or you may have seen old posts. It's not an issue we see a lot of here that isn't the player just is having a hard time of it.

DarkFireFly

As I recall they are considered an unusual find. Catching a few easier bugs, like ladybugs, increases your chances of catching them on the first try.
In my game they are widely scattered, but I can usually find one at that cool tiny lot way up above the Dragon Cave. There are a few more over between the Scholar's Garden and -hmm, not the Academy-the Retreat?
KarinL

I never have a problem with any of these bugs. Although there are some places in China (like near the abandoned barn) where the beetle spawner seems to be too low in the ground, and the beetles never come up to the surface - you can see them when you're viewing the basement, but you can't catch them from there...
LostGuy

In this case Zetawilk, it's not the game's fault. I completed this mission. It wasn't easy. It require several missed attempts at capture and a couple of days waiting for respawns. I'm sorry if your feeling frusterated, but I actually found this one of the more fufilling missions to complete due to the difficulty. I'd hate if some EAer found this tread and went around simplifing mission in future packs for fear of frustrating the players.

This was a Good mission.
DarkFireFly

When I searched this forum with "Red assassin bug" I got 15 hits. Of course, some of them were this thread .

Post Reply Forum Index » World Adventures
Go to: