Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Glitch- Sims won't appear in different countries.  XML
Forum Index » World Adventures
JanuaryMoth

When I have a Sim travel to another country, the zoom-in cutaway leads to the base camp, but my sims don't appear there. What's more, their information does not appear on the bottom panel, there is no box with their face in the lower-left corner, and I am unable to quit the game unless I first go back to the main menu.

This glitch only occurs in China and Egypt, since both of my Sims already have visa level 1 in France and the country does not have a cutaway but rather takes the sims directly from the loading screen to the base camp.

Has anyone experienced this problem before, or have any idea how to solve it?
Jaghar7

This has nothing to do with the zoom in sequence on arrival. It's a common problem with possibly multiple causes.

The first thing you can try is go to your savegame folder..

My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves\<savegame>

Find the .nhd files for both Egypt and China and delete them. This will reset those countries but since your sim hasn't traveled to them successfully it won't be a problem.

If that doesn't work then the issue could be related to your sim and you'll need to move to a new neighborhood. Copy your sim's family to the library through Edit Town and place the copy in a new game\neighborhood. For best results I recommend copying them along with the house. Don't have to worry about leaving anything behind on accident that way. This method is usually successful (to the point where I've yet to hear anyone say it didn't work)

Smeelia

Jaghar7 wrote:If that doesn't work then the issue could be related to your sim and you'll need to move to a new neighborhood. Copy your sim's family to the library through Edit Town and place the copy in a new game\neighborhood. For best results I recommend copying them along with the house. Don't have to worry about leaving anything behind on accident that way. This method is usually successful (to the point where I've yet to hear anyone say it didn't work)

I think exporting your sim and replacing them in the same game/neighbourhood will work as well, although if the neighbourhood itself is affected (or is what has affected your sim) then I suppose you'd be more likely to encounter the bug again sooner. Of course you'll still lose any relationships to sims outside of the household so it's maybe just as well to export to a new game.
JanuaryMoth

Thank you both so much for your advice... the glitch is still occurring however.
I tried exporting the Sims to a new neighborhood and they still won't show up in Al Simharra.
Have you found any other ways that this bug might be solved by any chance?
Jaghar7

Migrating to a new neighborhood didn't work?? That's a new development. It's worked for people for months. Something with the latest patch must have changed something. Now I'm rather annoyed.

The moving process will normally deal with most issues from corrupted .nhd to problems with the specific sim in question. Since it's a new neighborhood also the .nhd is fresh so deleting that wouldn't do anything.

Have you tried traveling with other sims in a different home? If it turns out you can't travel properly with ANY sim then I really don't know what to tell you.

I've never had to ask before for this particular problem but.. do you have any mods that have anything to do with China or Egypt? Did you install Ambitions or did you just get the patch?

JanuaryMoth

No, I just got World Adventures four days ago, the problem started happening yesterday. Its the only expansion pack that I have, and although I have downloaded custom content (one or two houses from the exchange) they haven't been used at all. I found out that the Sim's roommate was able to travel to Egypt, but the problem sim was able to travel successfully before as well, so there's no telling if and when the same glitch will happen to her as well.

I sent an email to support staff detailing the problem, and I'll be sure to post the reply.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/10 05:22 AM

Jaghar7

I can already tell you what they're likely to say.

1: Game play issue. (it's somehow you're fault)

2: Remove all custom content and completely uninstall and reinstall.

Neither reply will be helpful.

So then.. the issue is the sim and not the country. That at least is helpful knowledge. You can at least play. Just that one sim can't travel. Still, you're the first person who's come back (that I can remember) who's said migrating didn't work. I must admit I'm curious now. Unfortunately I'm also stumped.

Since she's migrated to the new hood it's not related to any relationships with foreign sims.. so that theory is out.

What about traits? Is one say.. adventurous and the other not? (totally grasping at straws here)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/10 07:48 AM

JanuaryMoth

Nope, they are both Adventurous. Also I am reluctant to settle on the fact that it is a glitch reserved for that single sim.
Like I said before, this Sim has successfully travelled to France and China just like his roommate has and now suddenly can't go anywhere. This leaves me inclined to believe that its a glitch that could occur to any sim at any time.
And if it occurs to my other sim once she reaches level 3 visas and owns vacation homes I'll be pretty ticked.

Also I did hear back from the staff and they told me this;

-

We are really sorry to hear about this happening to you.I completely understand how you feel.I would like to suggest you to do these steps :

Step 1: Find your saved game files

• Navigate to your Documents folder.
• Windows XP: My Documents
• Windows Vista: Documents
• Mac: Documents
• Open the Electronic Arts folder.
• Open The Sims 3 folder.
• Open the Saves folder.

Step 2: What you should see

In the Saves folder, you will see other folders that correspond to all your saved games. Each saved game created prior to World Adventures should have the following three types of files:

• .sims3
• .sims3.backup
• .sims3.bad (this file is a result of file corruption)
• .sims3.legacy

It is likely that your .sims3 and .sims3.backup files are corrupted. The .sims.legacy file should not be corrupted. You will use your uncorrupted .legacy file to restore your corrupted saved game files.

Step 3: Restoring your files

1. Start by backing up your .legacy file.
You can backup your .legacy file by saving it to a different location on your system (like your Desktop) or an external hard drive or thumb drive.
2 .Now, select your .sims 3, .sims3.bad, and .sims3.backup files and Delete them.
3 .Your .legacy file will be left over.
4 .Remove the .legacy extension from the file name (right-click and select Rename).

Note: Your computer might prompt you to confirm that you want to change the extension. Select Yes or OK.

-

While that does sound like a helpful solution, I had to reply to them that in my saves folder there are only .sim3 and .sim3.backup files, nothing that is .bad or .legacy. I only just did that now so I haven't heard back from them yet.
Do you have any idea why my saves folder wouldn't have those files?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/10/10 03:40 PM

Jaghar7

hmm a new response which oddly has the same affect as deleting the .nhd or as a broader spectrum solution.

Prior to the patch and/or Ambitions there is no .legacy folder to restore from. .bad only occurs when there's an error saving.

I didn't say the problem would only occur for your one sim. Rather the sim in question has a problem associated with them specifically. Other sims CAN develop the same problem.

My experience in helping folks with this problem leads me to think that there are multiple problems with the same symptom. Some folks end up simply not being able to travel with any sim. Others, like you can't travel with specific sims but other sims are fine. For some deleting the .nhd works. For some it doesn't. Before Amibitions/latest patch, migrating to a new game seems to always have worked to my knowledge.

My point here being I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just trying to see if it's possible to identify where this particular bug is.

Chalsh

I was having the same problem until I deleted .nhd files for the countries. The thing is my sim HAS visited these countries before, so I was wondering what changed by deleting the files. It looks like my visa level and foreign friends are the same, but are there any major differences I haven't noticed?
Jaghar7

the .nhd contains all the lot data. I had assumed the foreign sims as well. If you're foreign relationships are still intact after deleting the .nhd then there goes one of my theories. Not really sure what else is in that file.

All of the tombs for the country are effectively reset. All of the sims in that country are also probably reset/restored.

Chalsh

So if I had a vacation home it would probably end up messing with that?

But the fact that it resets all the tombs seems like a good thing. If I ever need to re-explore a tomb, I'll know what to do
Jaghar7

It doesn't actually affect the ownership of lots since that is determined by the deed carried by your sim when you travel.

If you did any recontruction on a vacation home/lot that would be undone. However, what you can do is before deleting the .nhd you can go into Edit Town and copy your vacation home to the library. Then after a new .nhd is generated you can go back and place the copy.

In theory at least assuming no lot data is actually attached to the deed. Which I'm reasonably sure it isn't.

Smeelia

Jaghar7 wrote:the .nhd contains all the lot data. I had assumed the foreign sims as well. If you're foreign relationships are still intact after deleting the .nhd then there goes one of my theories. Not really sure what else is in that file.

All of the tombs for the country are effectively reset. All of the sims in that country are also probably reset/restored.

I think the reason that the foreign relationships remain intact is that each location has it's own version of each sim so you should still be able to have your old friends visit you at home (and they may turn up as tourists) but they wont exist in their home location (although the foreign locations may then be updated with the version from your home neighbourhood so they could potentially visit there as well, any other location that hasn't been reset should already have copies of those sims anyway). I hope that makes sense .

I'm still not sure if all sim information is stored in one file (and each location has a seperate section of that file) or if each location has the sim information in it's own file. It's possible the information is kept in the file marked with the location name, some sort of code and then "ExportDB.package", in which case each location would have it's own set of information. If that's the case then I suppose you could delete that file to fix quite a few of the bugs (the relationship one, problems with out of date information and so on) and it should also be able to regenerate itself (since the foreign locations are presumably generated based on the information they create combined with imported information from the other files). It might be worth experimenting with that unless someone knows what that file actually does .
KatAnubis

I just had this happen to me. I tried the .ndh removal, which didn't change anything.

Interestingly, I *don't* have the patch. I've deliberately avoided the patch. Nothing has changed with my game since the last time my Sim traveled (and she's the original Sim for this neighborhood, not one down the generational line.) Weird.

The other interesting thing is that I do have a "legacy" file for my neighborhood.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/14/10 06:30 AM

Forum Index » World Adventures
Go to: