Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
OOPS, Store Stuff disappears. . . ongoing discussion on how we are fixing it ourselves!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussion (EN)
Roxxgirl13

Could someone help me? I don't know what to do! I've read through and seen that nobody had the same problem...
When I got Showtime I installed it and then went online and put in the code to get my Katy Perry Limited Edition stuff, but it never appeared in my 'Item History' like it said it would. The only thing that showed was the Limited Edition 'Big Show Venue' thing. When I try to go back to the page and enter the code in again, it tells me this code has been used. Weeks later, the stuff still hasn't appeared! What's up with my game... I haven't seen anyone that had the same problem AT ALL! Nobody has had any answers. Please help, or I've just wasted an extra £5 on invisible items

Thanks
2troublesome

A few things - particulary the Bau Haus fence - say that they are installed in the launcher, but they dont show up in the game at all. i dont know if its anything else, but this is the most obvious one because i use it all the time.

also, this happened after i bought something new from the store, not directly after the patch.

i have already uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled the fence with no effect; its still not in my game.

hummingbird41556

I would suggest, since this is actually uninstalling from your game, that you contact support. They will probably have you do all kinds of strange things to your computer and/or game. Give it a try, you never know when something will actually WORK! For a while, keeping my computer in a 'clean boot' mode helped. . . In fact, I forget to set it back to a normal boot most the time. That just means I don't have a lot of extra programs running in the background. I've made sure my DEP settings have Sims 3 listed. I've made sure my Anti-Virus knows that Sims 3 is okay, I've made sure the firewall knows. I've defragmented, restarted, done a total uninstall/reinstall of the game using REVO Uninstaller to completely remove ALL traces of Sims 3 from my registry and harddrive. I've restored the computer twice in the last year, to factory settings and then had to spend three days updating because I went from Vista to 7 last year. Changing to Windows 7 did wonders for the computer until last fall. Now stuff in my game is missing again, and not just from the launcher.
I do try everything support suggests, and a few other things that make sense to me. So far, not one thing has changed the fact that the stuff stays it isn't installed in the launcher, but I have been ignoring that. NORMALLY, that is a false reading. BUT, when I go into the game, and like you, stuff is missing, I contact Support AGAIN, and keep on them about the fact that nothing they are suggesting is working, and I know I am not alone.
If you've looked through the things we've learned, you know that you should only install a couple things at a time, and never two large sets at a time. I have just tossed my Sims 3 folder again last night in frustration. I have installed about 1/4 of my store stuff and already have four .ebc files in the DCcache folder! Those are where the game puts the info for what is installed. Some of it goes into the 'library' folder, and I am wondering if that is where the real problem is. Other things go into places like 'installed worlds' in the Sims 3 folder in documents. It is confusing if you don't know much about computers. I used to repair them so it's not all alien to me. I usually have to tell support I was tech trained, so they quit treating me like some ten year old throwing a fit. And yes, they WILL do that if you let them. Stand your ground. You KNOW you paid for your items, you know you downloaded it, twice, in case you got a bad download. You know what you have already tried, and it has failed. Don't give up. Keep trying to get them to find a real solution. And if they do come up with something that worked for you, please, do come by and tell us about it!

I've spent over $2000 on store stuff, the LEAST EA can do is make sure it is functional!
hummingbird41556

Downloaded the 'super patch' for manual installation today. Talking to tech support gave me some hope. However, I did decide to do a total uninstall/reinstall using REVO unintaller to remove all traces of Sims 3 from my registry before adding the patch. I'm reinstalling my game NOW. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have an answer for this issue of stuff showing as not installed or actually NOT staying installed. The one thing that happened while I was talking to tech support that shouldn't have was I got that "store patch available" message. That's why I'm going to be adding the manual version of the Super Patch. If this works, the solution will appear to be a manual installation of that patch. However after three tries of putting it in over my current patch failing, I decided the uninstall would be necessary. I'll keep you all posted, I am HOPING this is all we need!

I've spent over $2000 on store stuff, the LEAST EA can do is make sure it is functional!
walkingstick

This is an interesting thread. I have the same issue. For me I think it's patch related. When I try to insatll a new store item the laucher tells me there is a new patch. I click yes for the patch and it tells me I am up to date. This happens Every. Single. Time!

My store stuff also uninstalls itself on a regular basis. Things I've found that help a bit in term of actually getting the stuff into my game and it staying ther for a bit are the following:

Downloading from my purchase history on Chrome (explorer not so good), while my game is still running. Using the download dashboard or the store in game just freezes up my game. Things still disappear. I've installed some stuff 4 or 5 times.

Another issue I have is not being able to get Vinyard Villa Furnishings into my game at all. When I click the download button, the browser (all browsers) tell me there is no link.

I have been on live chat about this, but they are worse than useless.

hummingbird41556

walkingstick wrote:This is an interesting thread. I have the same issue. For me I think it's patch related. When I try to insatll a new store item the laucher tells me there is a new patch. I click yes for the patch and it tells me I am up to date. This happens Every. Single. Time!

My store stuff also uninstalls itself on a regular basis. Things I've found that help a bit in term of actually getting the stuff into my game and it staying ther for a bit are the following:

Downloading from my purchase history on Chrome (explorer not so good), while my game is still running. Using the download dashboard or the store in game just freezes up my game. Things still disappear. I've installed some stuff 4 or 5 times.

Another issue I have is not being able to get Vinyard Villa Furnishings into my game at all. When I click the download button, the browser (all browsers) tell me there is no link.

I have been on live chat about this, but they are worse than useless.

After my recent woes, I ended up doing a total uninstall of my game using REVO Uninstaller. The reason this is important is that it removes all traces of the game from the registry of the computer. After that I reinstalled but did not use any of the downloaded patches until after I installed ShowTime. I let each disk patch the last part of the game.
For the downloaded patch I did go to the manual installation. I tried to manually install the patch before I did the uninstall/reinstall of the game, but that failed miserably. Manually installing the patch seems to have helped for the most part. I sometimes use Firefox for downloading. I need to contact support again and let them know the end results. If I have to open my launcher while in game, for any reason, like buying the India set the other day while my game was running, I STILL sometimes get that notice about the store patch being available. That tells me something still didn't patch quite correctly. I'll be letting support know about that when I call them.
If all else fails, try the total uninstall/reinstall followed by the manual patch. So far, I have had better retention of all my store stuff, regardless what the launcher says! As I told a friend of mine the other day, sometimes owning the whole store is a real pain!

DeterminedGirl

Location:✿ ❀ Running out of pet food in Appaloosa Plains ✿ ❀

I found the solution on another thread and would you believe it, it worked (Yay!)

You simply delete the The Sims 3 Preferences folder in your computer library.
Copy & Paste on your desktop then delete the original.

Username> Library>Preferences>The Sims 3 Preferences

Landie

So glad I found this D:

Why don't we do it in the road?
Treesoar64

DeterminedGirl wrote:I found the solution on another thread and would you believe it, it worked (Yay!)

You simply delete the The Sims 3 Preferences folder in your computer library.
Copy & Paste on your desktop then delete the original.

Username> Library>Preferences>The Sims 3 Preferences

Unfortunately, no such folder exist on my window 7 Laptop.

DeterminedGirl

Location:✿ ❀ Running out of pet food in Appaloosa Plains ✿ ❀

Well, where is 'The Sims 3 Preferences' folder kept on your PC?

If you type this into Finder it will probably show you the folder.

hummingbird41556

DeterminedGirl wrote:Well, where is 'The Sims 3 Preferences' folder kept on your PC?

If you type this into Finder it will probably show you the folder.

I've searched my computer and haven't found this file/folder either. Interesting, isn't it?

knazzer

I'm glad i'm not the only one with this issue, it's only been happening about a month or two ago, I think it was after installing one of the newer patches or perhaps Showtime?
zorba2357

I have no sims 3 preferences folder either. I'm on windows vista 32 bit. I'm kind-of curious what Determinedgirl is talking about.

I think she may be talking about dragging the whole sims 3 folder (from documents) to the desktop and then letting the game generate a new one. It's a solution for various issues that some people find useful.

I'm not going to do it though, and I'm pretty sure it won't solve this Launcher issue. No One has so far come up with a real and permanent solution for this Launcher problem. It's something EA has to first acknowledge it exists as a problem, and then work on a fix.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/17/12 06:57 PM

hummingbird41556

zorba2357 wrote:I have no sims 3 preferences folder either. I'm on windows vista 32 bit. I'm kind-of curious what Determinedgirl is talking about.

I think she may be talking about dragging the whole sims 3 folder (from documents) to the desktop and then letting the game generate a new one. It's a solution for various issues that some people find useful.

I'm not going to do it though, and I'm pretty sure it won't solve this Launcher issue. No One has so far come up with a real and permanent solution for this Launcher problem. It's something EA has to first acknowledge it exists as a problem, and then work on a fix.

I wish it was JUST a launcher issue. In my game it was sometimes actually installing stuff. However, I since I did that last total uninstall/reinstall of my game it has been better. Granted, the launcher issue is worse than ever, but stuff is showing up in my game.

I bought an uninterruptable power supply tonight to help with other computer issues. I'm thinking it might be time to package my family and save them outside the game, regenerate the folder, and reinstall the store stuff one more time. With the power to my machine being STABLE, it might make a difference! Found out how the high end surge suppressors can actually stop a computer from drawing the power they need from the source, and cause things like lag and drag. I'll let you all know if this changes the launcher issue or the uninstalled stuff issue. Considering everything else we tried, it would be something if this turned out to be a common thread. How many of us are running on surge supressors, and how many on the battery backup type setups? Surge supressors might not be the greatest thing after all, the battery backup system actually maintains the steady power levels a computer needs to run correctly. Something like this COULD affect our games!

zorba2357

I am very interested in what you find. My husband (doesn't play sims 3) but he had issues. His old battery backup died. Actually I kept finding the light on it flashing. It was APC brand (same as I still have for my computer).

We bought him a new one, and right around the same time his power supply died. The new battery backup looks just like the old one, different brand though. Then replaced the power supply. The new power supply is a 400. It's doing fine now.

I have no idea if either one is a "high end surge suppressor" OR if the power supply is an "uninterruptable power supply".

edit: You may certainly be onto something though. I know for a fact that if the game shuts down, say , due to a sudden power outage, it can corrupt the game, OR lose data. I've seen it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/18/12 04:50 AM

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussion (EN)
Go to: