Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
how do i uninstall an expansion pack?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
GoTouchAsbestos

I have the base game and World Adventures and I'm having trouble installing Ambitions... I want to uninstall WA and then reinstall them both... do I just need to reinstall everything (including the base game)?
Nichaedemus

Hi,

The Sims 3 games can be uninstalled via Add or Remove Programs. To access Add or Remove Programs in Vista or Windows 7, follow these steps:

1.) Click on the Start button from Windows taskbar.
2.) Now select Control Panel.
3.) A new window will appear - select Programs.
4.) Now click on Programs and Features.

Locate the program you want to work with and then click on the Uninstall/Change button.

For reference, instructions on doing a manual uninstall can be found in the following EA Support articles:

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3 Ambitions?
http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_a
dp.php?p_faqid=47609&p

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3: High End Loft Stuff?
http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_a
dp.php?p_faqid=46622&p

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3 World Adventures?
http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
faqid=23839&p

How do I manually uninstall The Sims 3?
https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_
adp.php?p_faqid=22226

Please note that you may require Administrative access to perform the manual deletion of game files or registries. If issues persist with manual deletion, it is advised that you boot Windows in Safe Mode before trying again.

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
GoTouchAsbestos

Sorry I didn't post this before, but I have a mac
Nichaedemus

Instructions for uninstalling on a Mac running OS X is as follows:

1.) Ensure you are logged in using an account which has Administrative privileges.
2.) Using Finder, delete the following files from your Applications folder, as applicable:
* The Sims 3 Ambitions
* The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff
* The Sims 3 World Adventures
* The Sims 3
3.) Using Finder, delete the additional program files, as applicable, which can be found in:
* /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Ambitions Preferences
* /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff Preferences
* /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 World Adventures Preferences
* /Users/<Username>/Library/Preferences/The Sims 3 Preferences
4.) To remove content created by The Sims 3, delete the folder /Users/<Username>/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3. You may wish to make a backup of your Saves and Downloads folders first before proceeding with this step.
5.) Done!

If there are issues with reinstalling, please refer to the following link:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/50227.page

After reinstalling, it is strongly advised that you run Disk Utility and repair all read-write permissions on your hard disk. Afterwards, update the game via the launcher before installing the next one.

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
SimGuru_BGY_11

Thanks for posting that!

-Big Guy-

GoTouchAsbestos

THANK YOU!!!!!!
gymnast6698

I want to uninstall Pets expansion pack, on a Mac. Is there any way to do it besides drag it to the trash bin? Because that didn't work. Thanks.
AbstractNotion

(I am using a Windows Vista)

I have all past expansions and stuff packs installed, and installed The Sims 3 Showtime tonight, and it finished but then froze while updating Origin. I was then unable to launch the game with the Showtime disc (when using the launch icon from my desktop it said the computer was unable to locate the file).

I followed your instructions to uninstall The Sims 3 Showtime and it didn't work. It's still listed in the uninstall list in the control panel. I manually deleted all Showtime files (by going into Local Disk (C/Program Files/Electronic Arts).

I can load the game with the Sims 3 Master Suite disc, and the loading screen in the game has the Master Suite design. The new world that comes with Showtime is not listed in the worlds list, so it seems to be uninstalled for all intents and purposes, however when I put in the Showtime disc to try and install it again it loads the uninstall screen.

Although I can still play the game I do not want to until Showtime is installed so my Sims have all possible options (I am starting over, as I do not care for my past saves).

If you can't help me I am willing to uninstall The Sims 3 completely, including all expansions and stuff packs if that will fix the problem, but would like to back-up all of my store items first, as I have a lot, and I mean a hundreds and hundreds of US Dollars worth and re-downloading them from The Sims 3 store would be a huge pain and take forever. (I have already backed up every file [saves, screenshots, videos, Sims etc.] located in Patrick(My Documents)/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3).

Thanks in advance for any help you offer, even if it doesn't end up working.

UPDATE:
I uninstalled all The Sims 3 games and went into my hard drive to make sure every file was deleted, including saves etc. (I have backups). All of the games where removed from the add/remove programs section of my control panel, except Showtime that still remained.

I then re-installed all of the expansions and stuff packs, and when I finished installing them and tried to install Showtime it only prompted me to uninstall it, as if it is still installed. I tried to uninstall it when prompted, but again with no difference in result. As my previous attempts I am now able to play the game fully with the Master Suite disc, and the game functions as if Showtime is not installed. Also, all of my store items are still installed.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/08/12 08:20 PM

abriggs14

Hello, Nichaedemus, at one time i tried to download the town life expansion pack and it didn't download but I just installed the high end loft expansion pack and it automatically installed the town life. I thought it would work but since i no longer have the disc it won't work and won't even let me open sims at all. I have a mac and I'm a little confused on how to delete just that one expansion pack without erasing my current family on sims. I really hope you can help, thank you!
KymBob

Mac user: There is an easier way to uninstall just one EP. Back up your saves and downloads if you want to keep these. Then go to the application folder and click the sims 3 folder. in there there is a application called sims 3 uninstaller. Open that and select the expansion you want to uninstall. easy.
Longhorns

For Mac users: I want to just uninstall the supernatural expansion pack but when i go to unistall sims 3, i don't get to pick which expansion pack to uninstall. I am scared it is going to uninstall everything. The only thing that shows up when is says "select the game you wish to uninstall" is The Sims 3.
roro381

I know this was from ages ago... But still, in case anybody is out there looking for this:
Go toy your applications on finder,
go onto Sims 3
scroll down to the bottom
There should be a 8sims 3 uninstaller' click that
select the exp. pack you want to uninstall
click uninstall
enter password
done!
Easy
oliviamarieferrone

I have university and i want to install ambitions but when i install ambitions and open it up the university icon will pop up and ambitions wont work. I have a macintosh.
DawnLBrown

Sammyn_18

Hi! I'm about to get Sims University and I also have the Supernatural game installed. But I REALLY don't want zombies/Vampires running around while my sim is at college. How do I get rid of my supernatural game! Please help.

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: