Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Build-n-Share WINNERS' CIRCLE: Find out results and discuss the entries here!  XML
Forum Index » Creative Corner
Dark_Tig3r

Thanks mgolden27

And I'll remember to watch out for those plants next time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/17/12 04:00 AM

WE'RE ALL MAD HERE
Sherry1968

Build-N-Share Challenge #147-148 Spring Designer Showdown -- Intermediate Results

Everyone did an amazing job with the Spring Designer Showdown, and there were so many unique and creative ideas! I looked for a strong theme representing your inspiration, and a consistent design flow throughout the home and lot. I loved every one of them in their own way. Here are your comments followed by the winners. Please let me know if I am not clear in any way!

Mgolden27
I love that this challenge inspired you to create a story. The inspiration object catches your eye right from the beginning with a very prominent place in the home. The colors and patterns worked well together, and I appreciated that you drew some colors from your artwork. I felt a bit of a disconnect between the master bedroom and master bathroom. I would like to see something more to tie these two rooms together. Also, I would like to see some more area rugs and just a little more artwork in all the rooms, and maybe some small artwork or plants in the bathrooms to add some interest. I love the contrast of the brown cabinets against the green bricks in the kitchen. Nice use of clutter without overusing it here. The study is a very cozy space, and you did great by using the same colors but changing up the pattern. The landscaping was very suitable for a typical suburban home. To add even more realism, you could blend in more terrain paints. A little more dirt under the trees and bushes, maybe some worn dirt in heavily trafficked areas, more visible mulch in the flower beds and around shrubs. Use the softest brush to blend worn areas into the grassy areas for a realistic effect. All in all a well balanced design. Great job!

Ashley1693
I love that you had an idea and tried to bring that across with unusual colors and patterns. It did bring to mind right away what I thought your inspiration item was. I would like to see more landscaping, even if it is atypical. I think even aliens might have something growing in their yard. I love that you have used your terrain paints to add some worn areas. You could use a softer brush in some areas to blend it into the grass a bit more. It is great that you did add some outdoor entertainment. For interior spaces that are open to each other, try adding some accent colors or patterns that can bring the areas together. I would love to see a bit more artwork, and maybe some area rugs to create interest throughout the home. I loved that the colors and tiles in the bathrooms and laundry area tied into the colors in the rest of the house. The patterns, colors and textures in the house really reminded me of your inspiration, and carried your theme well. Wonderful job!
Also – with photobucket you can change the order your pictures are in the album. There are tabs at the top, one of them says “organize”. If you click there, it will take you to a page where you can drag the pictures and place them wherever you would like. Also, at the top of this page it says “sort by” and you can change it to oldest first or newest first to reverse the order. Hope that helps!

Linzirae07
Your story was very amusing and creative. I loved your landscaping in the back yard with the curved lines and colorful flowers. The fencing also kept your industrial theme in mind. The pool area looks very refreshing. It was great that you carried the red from the kitchen into the living room. The layout of your furniture was well done, although I would have liked to see the colors and patterns tied together a little better. Also, consider using area rugs and window treatments to add interest to the rooms. I think if you carried a bit of red just in a little accent for each room, it would really pull the build together. The front of the house looks industrial, yet appealing. I love the pop of red on the door. Personally, I would like to see more of the same types or colors of plants repeated to create a more cohesive landscaping, but I love your use of flowers and terrain paints to create an appealing design. Altogether a great design.

Greenowl77
Beautiful rustic home, the diagonal siding adds a modern appeal. The pool and pond in the back yard are fabulous! Love the dragons guarding the gate. The rustic feel carries over to the interior, but the colors and patterns you added keep it bright and cheerful. The planter boxes in the dining room window are a nice touch. The bathroom is a drastic change of color, but using the same wall style ties it in nicely. The garage looks very realistic with all of the tools, storage and clutter. Good idea to add the shower next to the workbench. Wow, that Egyptian bedroom would really make you feel like you are sleeping in a pyramid! The pirate themed room is perfect for a young boy, and the master bedroom and bathroom are wonderful and well in keeping with the rustic theme. Nice take on your inspiration. Fantastic job!

JoubertCG
This is a fantastic take on your inspiration, very unique. The pool and fountain are just outstanding! I love the colors and siding you used to create what felt to me like a southwestern flavor. I would have liked to see a little more landscaping, but I love what you did with it. Wow, the interior is very colorful, and in keeping with your style. The entry is very appealing, giving a glimpse of the varied colorful rooms surrounding you. If I could ask for more, it would be a little more artwork, and maybe a couple more area rugs. Overall a fabulous look, and a very cohesive design.

DrygonBlade
Great use of the inexpensive landscape plants. I would like to see more terrain paint, especially under bushes and trees. I can envision your inspiration right through the front windows. The dark gray is a nice backdrop to the brighter colors. I love that the back of the home has plenty of windows for a beautiful view and lots of natural light. The hot tub and the raised pool are nice features, and the pool adds some more color to the yard. I would like to see more purpose added to the room next to the pool. Inside the home, the dark colors provide a good balance to the bright floor. I would love to see some rugs in the bathroom, the black floor and bottom of the walls seems to swallow up the bottom of the bathroom. The master bedroom is very bright with the floors and the walls in the pink/purple color, so again a rug would break this up a bit. In all, I love the sleek modern lines, and how you carried your inspiration throughout the home. Awesome job!

Aracnephobia
The office area is very cozy and welcoming. Try moving the two chairs just a little farther apart for a good conversational space. Some clutter or area rugs would add more interest to the room. The hallways look a little stark to me, a little artwork or rugs would help here as well. I love all the open space here, and the modern feel. The furnishings you have used tie the rooms together and add to the modern vibe. While the floral pattern you have used throughout is beautiful and does bring a familiarity to each room, I would like to see a little more variety in the home. Maybe use that pattern in a little splash here or there, but not as the only pattern in each room to add some pizazz. The exterior of the home has a rustic charm with the dark wood siding, and yet remains modern with the large windows and simple landscaping. The ample windows bring in plenty of natural light and add scenic views to the home. The trees and flowers are pretty, but try using a few less trees and some shrubs or flowers with more shape to them. This would create a variety in height which appeals to the eye. Or, if you are trying to create a wooded feel to the lot, use a taller tree to make the house seem more hidden. The pool with the wood deck looks very relaxing, and would be well lit for night time use. (Whoops! I don’t see a gate to the pool.) The roomy kitchen with high quality appliances will appeal to the most discerning sims. Great job!

Kulthero777
This house has a Mediterranean feel with beautiful formal landscaping. The pool area and fountain look very peaceful and relaxing, and the stone flooring maintains the atmosphere. The plantings are well balanced and add color to the yard. The contrast of the light colored siding and the dark blue roof is very appealing. The interiors seem to flow very well, and the colors and patterns are complementary. The furnishings suit the architecture, and the artwork and area rugs add interest to the interiors. In all it is a beautiful home, and supports your inspiration very well. Fantastic job!

Breakbruce
This is a beautiful home with a modern flair. I love the outlined driveway and front walk. The pool looks very relaxing, and I’m sure the pergola cover will keep the water cool on those hot summer days (well, we can pretend, right?) The flowers are beautiful and add color to the yard. You might try adding some dirt terrain paint under your trees for some more realism. I couldn’t tell from the pictures if you had terrain paint under the shrubs and flowers, but dirt or something resembling mulch under them would add to your landscaping as well. The interiors are clean and simple, following your modern theme. I love the plentiful large windows, to let in light and beautiful views. If there were any suggestions to make, I would say that even with your minimal furnishings and modern look, I think you could add some more artwork and/or area rugs to create some more visual interest. Just something to break up the wide open spaces a little bit. Overall a fabulous job!

Marblepaint
This is a lovely home based on a travel theme. The landscape here is very informal, with a somewhat overgrown appearance in the front. This can be good or bad depending on the look you were going for. The block siding goes well with the informal look. The hedges lining the lot and driveway do look too manicured to tie in with the tall grasses in the yard, though. Also, try adding some more dirt under the tall grass, bushes, flowers and trees. The pool and pond in the back yard are beautiful. I love the sand and lounge chairs around the pond. On the interior, the wall covering is great for your theme. Be careful that you don’t add too many patterns in one room or they will compete with each other. I like to use one strong pattern (floral, themed or abstract) and one more subtle pattern (usually a geometric like stripes or polka dots). Then I use textures in between if I need to make something look less flat. So if you have a strong pattern on the walls, try a simple block on the floor instead of an irregular stone pattern. In all, you did a great job of creating a theme and sticking with it.

Wendy2584
This house has a somewhat rustic exterior with a simple suburban landscape. I love the natural colors you chose for the siding, and that you kept the landscaping simple and natural to blend with the house. I really like the stone siding, and feel it complements the wood siding very well. I would prefer to see it lower on the house, just because you will only see stacked stone from the ground up in real life; placing it above the wood siding would create problems. The sims don’t really care, though. The yard offers some wonderful entertainment for the kids, and the treehouse adds to the landscape as well. I like the worn dirt you have added to the back yard. I see that you have pulled colors from your inspiration to use in the décor. I wish there were a few more pictures to get a more detailed look at the house. I didn’t see any of the bathrooms, or overhead views. The furnishings have natural elements to go with the exterior of the home, and a modern feel to tie in to your inspiration. The placement of the furniture works well for the home. Looks like a beautiful home for your sims!

_Princess_Natasha_
The siding is a nice contrast to the dark trim. If I would change anything here, I would make the painted portion match the siding more closely. I love the floor to ceiling windows in the front. The flowers are beautiful and add color to the yard. I would like to see mulch or dirt throughout the flower bed that you have fenced in. That would add realism – unless you’re like me and your grass is taking over your flower bed… The furnishings carry your colors over to the interior. The kitchen is bright and airy with the white cabinets, and the brick wall adds interest to the space. The dining room has beautiful views with more large windows, and the furniture adds a slightly modern touch. The living room is a cozy space, and I like how you have used the molding on the wall to add visual interest. The plants bring a little extra color to the space. Your use of neutral tones with bright accents and dark furnishings throughout the house is very appealing. The pergola in the back yard is fabulous! I would love to have a barbecue here, and then jump in the pool. Fantastic job!

Shadowinsims
A beautiful home, very elegantly decorated. The pool is beautiful with the curved shape and the fountains. Try adding some stone terrain paint, or floor tile around the pool area for a more realistic look. (No one wants grass in their pool!) I would also like to see some more flowers or plantings around the home. I see you added lots of water and fountains to make your ocean lover feel at home. I love the blues you used inside, they are very natural and soothing. The pirate bedroom is so adorable! The only thing I might suggest here is to add a different color or pattern in the floor or walls to break up all the blue a little bit. The master bedroom is fabulous, I love the pattern you have used on the walls. A wonderful home, and very suited to your inspiration.

Clovergoddess
This is a lovely beach home. The yellow and aqua interiors are bright and cheerful, and the dark blue adds a nice accent color. The wicker furnishings and weathered wood contribute to the beachy feel. Your colors and patterns work well together, but be careful when using a very bright or bold pattern such as the green and blue bricks in the laundry room, to not use too much of it or it can feel overpowering. You can tone it down by using it on only half the wall, or just one accent wall to break it up a little. I love the fenced pool area that is open to the beach. It makes it easy to enjoy the outdoors. The palm trees and plantings in front are very suited to the surroundings, and the little pond makes a great accent to the front yard. Wonderful job!

Tigereyesnlw19
This was a cute house! I would have loved to see a few more pics, and don’t forget the overhead views to show the floor plan and layout. The stone siding and ample windows created a stately traditional style home with character. The flowers and plants are beautiful. You could try using fewer varieties of plants arranging them more randomly, perhaps two or three types of flowers in complementary colors, and mix the flowering bushes and green shrubs together for a realistic effect. Also if you would like a more formal garden, you can use the low fence as edging for your flower beds. The beautiful patterns and bright colors inside make your home look cheerful. You can try toning down the brightest colors on the color wheel by sliding straight in toward the center of the wheel just a little for a more soothing tone. The bright, colorful flowers and butterflies are in keeping with your Hawaiian theme. Your furniture and décor were also suited to your theme, and well laid out. I would like to see you pull the rooms together even more by using a similar wall treatment and varying the colors from room to room, or using similar colors in each room, or even just one common color with different accents. Also, in this challenge you were supposed to pick one of the four inspiration items to use in your build to create a design around, but I didn’t see your inspiration item. Did I miss it, or did you misunderstand? Other than that, you did a wonderful job!

Karima
Very creative idea to turn the house around for a unique build. I could see right away what your inspiration was here. It seems a very fitting home for your four models. The bright pink adds a nice contrast to the black and white interiors. The bedrooms are beautiful, and the artwork is perfect for the girly atmosphere. I love all the large windows to create an open feeling and let in lots of natural light. I am sure the girls will enjoy their gazebo with the hot tub, it looks very relaxing. The curtains are a nice decorative touch. The pool is refreshing and modern with its long blocky shape. I would like to see more flowers and plants to complement your landscaping. Fantastic job, especially in carrying out your theme and creating a brief story to go with it.

5th place: Clovergoddess

4th place: DrygonBlade

3rd place: Greenowl77

2nd place: JoubertCG

1st place: Kulthero777

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you everyone for your wonderful builds!

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 05/21/12 02:42 AM

_Princess_Natasha_

Congrats winners! You all did a fantastic job!

Thank you for your feedback, Sherry!
DrygonBlade

Sherry1968 wrote:
Build-N-Share Challenge #147-148 Spring Designer Showdown -- Intermediate Results

Everyone did an amazing job with the Spring Designer Showdown, and there were so many unique and creative ideas! I looked for a strong theme representing your inspiration, and a consistent design flow throughout the home and lot. I loved every one of them in their own way. Here are your comments followed by the winners. Please let me know if I am not clear in any way!

DrygonBlade
Great use of the inexpensive landscape plants. I would like to see more terrain paint, especially under bushes and trees. I can envision your inspiration right through the front windows. The dark gray is a nice backdrop to the brighter colors. I love that the back of the home has plenty of windows for a beautiful view and lots of natural light. The hot tub and the raised pool are nice features, and the pool adds some more color to the yard. I would like to see more purpose added to the room next to the pool. Inside the home, the dark colors provide a good balance to the bright floor. I would love to see some rugs in the bathroom, the black floor and bottom of the walls seems to swallow up the bottom of the bathroom. The master bedroom is very bright with the floors and the walls in the pink/purple color, so again a rug would break this up a bit. In all, I love the sleek modern lines, and how you carried your inspiration throughout the home. Awesome job!

5th place: Clovergoddess

4th place: DrygonBlade

3rd place: Greenowl77

2nd place: JoubertCG

1st place: Kulthero777

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you everyone for your wonderful builds!

I totally understand what you meant about the rooms being swallowed up. I had thought about adding rugs after I had posted. Yes, also, to the terrain paints under bushes. I keep forgetting about it until it's too late. This last challenge (#149-150) I did remember to use them.

I really wanted to do something with the "pool room". However, in the rules it stated, we couldn't create additional rooms so I opted to keep it an open space. I wish I would have known as I wanted to make it a bar.

Thank you for the 4th place spot! I was actually surprised to place as all the builds were so well done. Thank you again for the constructive criticism and I am looking forward to the

Sherry1968

You're welcome PN, I enjoyed it!

DrygonBlade - In previous designer showdowns, we have allowed buildings not attached to the house such as garden sheds and gazebos, so I would assume your "pool room" would fall under the same category since it goes with the pool. Of course other judges might view it differently, so you are right, it is probably best to check first.

For the bathroom, you could add rugs, and you could also lighten up the black (or bright colors) on the color wheel/slide just a bit to make it less overpowering.

And, you're welcome!

mgolden27

Congrats to the new winners! And thanks for the input Sherry. Terrain paints and I have a struggle going on, someday I will win it.

Sherry1968

LOL mgolden, there is always something for me too! And you're welcome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/21/12 09:27 PM

Sherry1968

Build-N-Share Challenge #147-148 Spring Designer Showdown
Advanced Results

There were only two entries here, and one was unfinished. I think both entries did a great job representing their inspiration. Here are the comments:

Kiyalynn

Comments: Your landscaping is lush and beautiful, reminding me of a tiger’s natural habitat. The arched bridge and the dock show off some of your architectural skills. Your fencing, window and door selections support your asian theme. I love that you used plenty of water, and many lush plants and not just bamboo. The use of white patterns and planters on the floor was a very creative way to break up the large floor space and create defined areas. The touch of animal print on the walls adds interest without being overpowering. Your continued use of Asian inspired furnishings adds to your theme. The garden room is beautiful with the multitude of plants that seem to blend into the outdoors through the large windows. The tiger patterns that you found are simply beautiful, I adore the colors! I think I want to move into the girls room.  The plantings in the master bedroom create a feeling of privacy and seclusion. The home does look better with the pagoda roofing, but you did an excellent job representing your inspiration.

Suggestions: I would like to see the edging for the wood deck and path to be the wood color or stone color instead of white. I know that balances out the house colors, but I think it would look more realistic that way. It seems to stand out too much in the white. Just a thought on the bridge, when I build them I typically have an odd number of tiles so that the one in the middle is level and they slope down from there. I think that makes the arc a little more natural, at least to me. It may be a matter of taste, though. I might break up the tiger print in the kitchen just a bit. Two walls of it seems a little strong, but that could also be a matter of taste. For me personally, the freestanding mirror in the baby’s room looks a bit odd. I would prefer a bookshelf or half wall for a room divider, with the mirror on the wall.

Aquacatt

Comments: I am so sorry you didn’t find time to landscape, I would have loved to see how you finished this build! The darker siding with the red trim is very eye catching, and the lighter color helps to break it up. I could tell right away from the interiors what your inspiration was. I love the more neutral and earthy tones accented with the bolder colors. The master bedroom looks very luxurious, the colors and décor are beautiful. The colors and patterns work well together, and even where you have a lot of bold artwork, the more neutral wall color helps to tone it down. I think you did a fantastic job on the décor! I love the few last minute plants you threw in, lol.

Suggestions: I’m not sure if I am taken with the kitchen cabinets in so many different colors, but I see where you were going with them. I would worry that the bench at the top of the spiral stairs might interfere with playability, be sure to playtest.

And the winner is:

Kiyalynn

Kulthero777

Thank you! I had a great time doing this build. Having an inspiration piece really helped me have a continuous design throughout. Congrats to all the winners

Greenowl77

Thanks guys, I really had a lot of fun with this build! Grats to all the other winners for this challenge!
Sherry1968

You're welcome Kulthero and Greenowl. So glad you guys participated!

Kulthero, I always try to find some sort of inspiration for my builds now, it helps to keep me focused on what I'm trying to achieve. You can use anything from a color palette, to an object, or even a real life picture that you love.

Sherry1968

After judging the Spring Designer Showdown and discussing with one of the other judges, the following intermediate entrants should also consider moving up to advanced:

greenowl77

JoubertCG

Clovergoddess

_Princess_Natasha_

linzirae07

If you honestly don't feel ready, it's not required, but we think you have the skills.

Sherry1968

Build-n-Share Challenge #145-146 The Simovitch Struggle
Advanced Results

While there was only one entrant for this category, they did a fantastic job!

Our winner is:

Aquacatt

Comments: The roof line looks so much better, and the additions really blend in with the existing home, and add to the curb appeal! It was very smart to add on to the garage as well. Your flower beds are so well manicured with a nice balance of color and greenery, and realistic with edging and mulch. The pool area looks very refreshing, and the trampoline and fire pit are perfect additions for entertainment. Betty’s room looks wonderful, perfect for the budding rock star. It is a comfortable spot for a teenage girl. The master bedroom has just the right touch of animal print for Fatima, and the master bath is lovely with the African inspired artwork. I think the kitchen is my favorite room. Vadim will certainly enjoy cooking there! In all, the newly renovated home looks fantastic, and I know the Simovitch family will thank you!

Suggestions: There is not much to mention here, but I will add a couple of things. I would like to see you play with the terrain paint even more, mainly adding dirt under the shrubs. Inside, I thought your décor was very tastefully done, but I would like to challenge you to tie even Betty’s room into the rest of the house with some design feature, whether it is wall type, an accent color, a pattern, or something else. It was the only room that felt really set apart, and while I know that was to mold it to Betty’s personality, I think you could still bring it together a bit.

Sherry1968

Build-n-Share Challenge #139-140 Mending Fences
Advanced Results

All three entrants had unique and interesting builds. I loved a little bit of each one. Here are the comments in no particular order:

Kiyalynn

Comments: I love that hidden garden! What a beautiful surprise when you walk in! The architecture is very interesting, I love that you included the small courtyard area on such a small lot. The boys room looks very comfortable for the teenagers, and the master bedroom has all the necessities. The bathrooms are spacious, and the plants add a little extra to the décor. I love the green pattern you have used here. I think the dining room is my favorite room. The yellow/gold is very rich and appropriate for the style. I don’t usually consider orange in my decorating, but you have made it very tasteful and balanced. There is plenty of entertainment for the family upstairs, and the balconies overlooking the interior garden area a great space for relaxing outdoors. Very nice that you checked on Iqbal’s lifetime want and gave him a pond. The outdoor area is wonderful for the family to enjoy the fresh air. Great job providing a new family space for the Alvi’s!

Suggestions: Just a few things to try here. The landscaping in front looks very simple and basic, consider using some sand and palm trees to support the architectural style, and add a bit more landscaping. Personally, I would like to see more of what you did with the interior garden, or at least a hint of it. Be careful with the color saturation, especially the green entry walls, the trim in the master bedroom and the upstairs entertainment area. For your stepping stone pathway in the back yard, try making the stones more regular in shape, such as a perfect square or circle.

ShadesOfNormal

Comments: The exterior color scheme was very eye catching with the off white, pale green, dark brown and red. The floating patio overlooking the pool is very creative and relaxing. What a great way to enjoy the outdoors! I really like the idea of the private yard too, almost like a courtyard. The open kitchen is very bright and attractive, and the table overlooking the yard is a wonderful place to enjoy meals. The living space has plenty of room for entertaining and playing together. The boys room is large and well appointed. I am sure that Iqbal will enjoy his new large master bedroom and bathroom. Fantastic job on their new family home!

Suggestions: The pink and green of the living area are lovely together, but I would like to see what they look like with just slightly less color saturation. I think the bold colors are lovely, but be careful that they are not overpowering. I would also like to see just a bit more landscaping, although I know it is tough on a budget.

Scoiattolo

Comments: The large 2 story home is a vast improvement from the previous style. The yellow siding creates a bright and cheerful contrast to the beige stone. I love the blue flowers against the sunny yellow. The color scheme is balanced and cohesive throughout the home. I love that you used lighter colors in the kitchen. The dining room is one of my favorite rooms, with the strong hints of their trip to Egypt. There is a nice variety of entertainment in the game room for them to build their family relationships. The large windows in the living room and master bedroom are very appealing. Great job with the custom area rugs in those areas as well. The foyer is very attractive and welcoming, and the laundry room is small, but functional. I’m sure the Alvi’s will enjoy having that extra ½ bath. It will also be very convenient for the boys to have their own study area, separate from the entertainment areas. The pool area is perfect, with the privacy fence and an appealing shape. This looks like a wonderful home, and I think the Alvi’s are well on their way to mending fences.

Suggestions: I love the custom rugs, but the one in the living room looks almost like it has a hole in the center. I would rather see a darker brown, or more of the beige color here. Also, I love the yellow stucco siding, but maybe try toning it down just a tiny bit.

And the winner is:

Scoiattolo

There was only one entrant who did the optional challenge, so the optional challenge winner is Scoiattolo!

JoubertCG

Sherry1968 wrote:After judging the Spring Designer Showdown and discussing with one of the other judges, the following intermediate entrants should also consider moving up to advanced:

greenowl77

JoubertCG

Clovergoddess

_Princess_Natasha_

linzirae07

If you honestly don't feel ready, it's not required, but we think you have the skills.

Thanks Sherry and other Judges! Also Thank You for the 2nd place!

Forum Index » Creative Corner
Go to: