Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Story Progression is the worst part of this game.  XML
Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Eilonwynn

Brianna8794 wrote::/
how did you turn it off?

It's a checkmark under the gameplay section of the options. But the frustrating thing is it doesn't DO anything, it appears to just be a dummy - I still have characters having children, moving out, etc, etc when I'm not playing them. And the only way to find out about it is to "read" the newspaper every day.
mrtauntaun

JPWriting wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:I like the concept. Go nuts with the npcs, let them live their own lives. But I want to PLAY the families I create. I don't want to go back to them after a few hours to find the family doubled in size and everyone has new jobs!

You can create a new game for each family, that way you have total control over them while playing others (they remain static while playing the other game). Obviously they won't interact though.

I like that I can populate a town and have them go on their own while I play my main character.

But the interaction is KEY. I don't want to play one family. The beauty of the sims 1 and 2 was they all coexisted, together. That was central to the game. Now, it's gone. But hopefully easily patchable.

DISCLAIMER: Any comparison I make between Sims 2 and Sims 3 is comparing the BASE versions of both games (unless otherwise stated).
LGT09

JPWriting wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:I like the concept. Go nuts with the npcs, let them live their own lives. But I want to PLAY the families I create. I don't want to go back to them after a few hours to find the family doubled in size and everyone has new jobs!

You can create a new game for each family, that way you have total control over them while playing others (they remain static while playing the other game). Obviously they won't interact though.

I like that I can populate a town and have them go on their own while I play my main character.

so JP..just to make sure im getting this right..if i make a new game for each family..they will not be in my other saved game..correct? or will i be able to interact with other families from different saved games?

OneAdorkableGirl

I think that the game should recognize the last time a family was played.
If it's been awhile, I think it should get rid of those families..
Not all at once, just a few at a time.

That way, you can alternate between the families you liked to keep.

Is that whole thing true about when going to a new family, it doesn't save
the progress of another family that you just got done playing?

Or, whatever the problem was that made it where you cannot play more than one
family without losing the game play that you've recently gained?

New 100Baby Challenge Aug3
Coby

The game should also not get rid of families that are related to your main family that you play. No matter if you play them (the relatives) or not.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/03/09 01:44 AM

"There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today." -Lex Luthor (Smallville)
mrtauntaun

LGT09 wrote:so JP..just to make sure im getting this right..if i make a new game for each family..they will not be in my other saved game..correct? or will i be able to interact with other families from different saved games?

That is correct, each save game is a different neighborhood. The families won't be able to interact (unless you make copies). But if you put them in a neighborhood, the computer will play them when they are not the active family.

DISCLAIMER: Any comparison I make between Sims 2 and Sims 3 is comparing the BASE versions of both games (unless otherwise stated).
mrtauntaun

Coby wrote:The game should also not get rid of families that are related to your main family that you play. No matter if you play them (the relatives) or not.

I don't want the game to get rid of anything I create. If I want them deleted, I'd do it myself.

Measles

OneAdorkableGirl wrote:
Is that whole thing true about when going to a new family, it doesn't save
the progress of another family that you just got done playing?

Or, whatever the problem was that made it where you cannot play more than one
family without losing the game play that you've recently gained?

It's not really that you lose what you did for them, but if you play another household, the game will progress your non-active households. That could be having kids, moving houses, getting/changing jobs, or even dying or leaving the neighborhood.

I have not experienced these things happening with story progression off, and I hope it stay that way. Can't see myself playing much until that's fixed if it does start giving me problems. I dont like my created families that I actively play to have anything change while im playing other families.

paperfaces3

this sounds like a bit of a catastrophe. i'm just installing the game now; where do i go to turn this feature off?
mrtauntaun

paperfaces3 wrote:this sounds like a bit of a catastrophe. i'm just installing the game now; where do i go to turn this feature off?

It's in the options menu, but it doesn't matter. It doesn't work, my has been off since I first started. The game does it anyway.

Coby

mrtauntaun wrote:
Coby wrote:The game should also not get rid of families that are related to your main family that you play. No matter if you play them (the relatives) or not.

I don't want the game to get rid of anything I create. If I want them deleted, I'd do it myself.

That's why I say the game needs a better circle of life. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the game kills of Sims naturally, so it compensates that length of time by moving Sims out when the town becomes full. There needs to be random deaths that help keep the town population down and balanced, and something that keeps the Sims form having more kids, when the town is already full.

"There's nothing wrong with a good fight. Just remember, the man of tomorrow is forged by his battles today." -Lex Luthor (Smallville)
mrtauntaun

Coby wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:

That's why I say the game needs a better circle of life. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the game kills of Sims naturally, so it compensates that length of time by moving Sims out when the town becomes full. There needs to be random deaths that help keep the town population down and balanced, and something that keeps the Sims form having more kids, when the town is already full.

That's good suggestion, but I still don't want the game to kill of my Sims unless I am playing them. Otherwise, why did I create them? I want to play the sims, not have them live and die off screen.

Gtompkins48

I am testing to see if turning story progression off actually works. We shall see in a moment.
Coby

mrtauntaun wrote:
Coby wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:

That's good suggestion, but I still don't want the game to kill of my Sims unless I am playing them. Otherwise, why did I create them? I want to play the sims, not have them live and die off screen.

Well if they actually get Story Progression to work correctly, maybe they could expand this to work on individual houses and not as a whole.

mrtauntaun

Coby wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:
Coby wrote:
mrtauntaun wrote:

Well if they actually get Story Progression to work correctly, maybe they could expand this to work on individual houses and not as a whole.

That would be awesome. As close as possible to an ideal solution, for my tastes, anyway.

Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: