Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
script error with launcher  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
AnguaUK

Hi everyone, I too am from the UK and experiencing issues with the Sims 3 launcher and in particular seeing a failure to connect with the download manager and a script error at line 363 from :
http://launcherapi.thesims3.com/launcher/home.html?launcherLoca
le=en_US&launcherCountry=GB&var=loggedOut
)

Here are screenshots of the two images:

You can see from the URL's of the images they are attachments I sent to EA support, as I have been banging on about this for the past week.

Because the problem has not been resolved as of yet, I decided to investigate it for myself and see what I could find out.
As a result of my findings I have updated my query to EA customer services and decided to post a full account on the forums in the hope a dev might pick up my post and move this issue on.

Before I give my account and findings, I apologise in advance for the length of this post but hope it help clears up what I think is a simple syntax error in the source code of the Sims 3 launcher which I believe was amended when a Floodlight tag was inserted for the GB Locale on 17th August 2011. (evidence to follow in link to source code at the foot of this post)

Anyway to begin my story, I had an issue with the Sims Store and contacted customer service via live chat, who kindly resolved the issue straight away and were very helpful. I had recently been experiencing some issues with the Sims 3 launcher and asked whether I could raise this now or whether I should send an email outlining my problem. I was advised to raise the issues now, and so raised the connectivity and script error issues with the adviser. I was asked to start up the launcher and provide a screenshot of the error, and thats when my ability to progress the matter via livechat took a nosedive...the launcher froze my system with up to 1.5gb memory usage, and subsequent crash of the launcher. Itried 3 times to discuss the problems via live chat, but continued crashing prevented it, and so I continued my query via emailover the past week.
During this time I have provided detailed information about my operating system, run a dxdiag and sent the resultant screenshot, cleared out my temp internet files, closed down any background programs that are set to run at startup,backed up my save games and any cc away from my drive, uninstalled all my Sims games and manually removed any empty folders from the games from my system, run ccleaner and set about reinstalling the base game, patch and expansions incrementally and playing a game and saving it out before copying back in my saved games, all to the letter of the advise given. I still have not reintroduced any cc back into my game, and to all intents and purposes I am running a cleanly installed and up to date patched version of my game. Of course I still experience the errors.
I reported this back, and in turn was asked further questions about my system,whether or not I have Origin installed, whether I have any network ports blocked, use a proxy server, whether I have v3.5.1 of the .Net framework installed. I have answered all of these queries and spent hours ensuring my system has a clean install of the game running, rechecked my IE config settings etc, but there is still no sign of anyone actually checking the source code which in my opinion is the root of this issue. From the outset I asked both in live chat and in emails for the source code to be looked at by a programmer. Non of the diagnostic steps seem to have made any difference to my running of the game launcher, so I must conclude there is a syntax error in the source code in the Sims 3 launcher. I therefore decided to take a peek at the code to see if I could spot anything, and I believe I have identified the problem.

I run IE9 as my default web browser, but have had to use Google Chrome too for the secure server pages when purchasing items in the Sims 3 Store. I think because IE9 uses HTML 5 standard, it displays any scripting errors in web page source code to the users, whereas earlier verions of the windows operating system didn't. I suspect people experiencing this error are non US users who use IE9.

However because I use both browsers on the Sims 3 pages, I put the launcher url into IE9 and Chrome and looked at the source code from both browsers and noticed something of an oddity. The IE9 browser took me to the GB server, whilst the Chrome browser took me to the US server. I looked at the source code from both servers and noticed they were different.

Source code from the GB server has a block of code between lines 356 and 368 which is not present in the page on the US server. Line 363 as per the script error is actually a comment line on the US page, and I wonder whether a tech support guy in the US would be looking at the US page and not realise the problem is on the GB page?

Anyway the relevant script entries are between lines 361 and 363. Lines 361 - 363 were a CDATA block, but it seems to have been corrected at a later date by the programmer. The start of the code at line 361 has been commented out correctly by use of "//" directly in front of the <![CDATA[, however the end has not been commented out correctly at line 363. It is missing a "/" and should have been "//]]>".
Therefore I conclude the script error is simply a missing /, when the programmer has hit the key only once instead of twice. Should be easy to fix. Here's links to the screenshots of the code from IE9 and Chrome which show the source code.

Once again sorry for the length of the post, I hope this helps and progresses the issue.

Best regards and happy simming ! Ang.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 09/02/11 01:42 PM

Darkslayer

I'm having the exact same problem. I only noticed it when I downloaded Hidden Springs but another problem has been affecting my game for the past week or so.

I run my game through an FPS limiter, the same FPS limiter I've used since day one, yet these days when I launch my game I either get an endless black screen and have to crash to the desktop and start again. This can happen 3 or more times before the game launches.

When I go via the launcher I get the script error. I wonder if this is linked to my game not cooperating even though I'm not using the launcher because nothing has changed about my game between it working and starting to do this to me.

Edit: I'm in the UK too.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/02/11 11:46 AM

blunote00

Location:Council Bluffs, IA. - Originally from the south.☺ I've worked in IT 27+yrs & ♥ ♪Jazz♪

@AnguaUK,
None of the links you posted with screenshots and whatnot work for me. So I don't have any idea what the error or the code looks like.

At my age competence is a turn on!
♥Retires from free EA Tech help!♥
mrswoo5

blunote00 wrote:@AnguaUK,
None of the links you posted with screenshots and whatnot work for me. So I don't have any idea what the error or the code looks like.

I can't see them either!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/02/11 01:52 PM

AnguaUK

Sorry guys, I have uploaded the images and edited the links so you should be able to see them now

mrswoo5, not sure at this time whether theres a way for us to make changes, but tbh we shouldn't have to. A simple syntax error can be so easily and quickly rectified by EA, heck all thats needed is to insert a / at line 363 of the GB source code. Its just a matter of how quickly someone picks this up and actions it. Am guessing the more people that are compalining they have this issue will prompt the matter to be passed to a dev to fix the code.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/02/11 02:03 PM

mrswoo5

AnguaUK wrote:Sorry guys, I have uploaded the images and edited the links so you should be able to see them now

I see them thanks, so can we do this if so how?
SimsManiac2k9

Joins.. The I have the script error too club.

~ Maybe its just a problem with the launcher

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/02/11 02:00 PM

blunote00

Location:Council Bluffs, IA. - Originally from the south.☺ I've worked in IT 27+yrs & ♥ ♪Jazz♪

I can't see on my phone and this site is blocked by my employer, so I can't view until I get home. Not all script code will show in the browser, it may be on the server, which will never render in the browser for us but only one their server for the dev.

sent via mobile phone

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/02/11 05:52 PM

dragoncub34

I think its just a conflict for the UK players, I've had the same problem with my launcher. Its only been happening for a week at least.

I found clicking yes lets me play my game.

blunote00

I did a little research and they are tracking data. Somewhat like the Adobe Omniture Wrapper that's on this site. There are two companies in the UK and one of them is DoubleClick (part of Google) offers the Floodlight tag. The other is TagMan see TagMan.com

So apparently they (EA Mktg) went with DoubleClick trying to track and analyze "whatever" on the UK market. But just like with the Ominuture they've gone and hosed it up. Had an issue with that a while back in MSIE8, see here.

Something interesting I found in the link you posted where the script error is gives an the Google error just like it does on the official site when you switch the English US to English UK.

This link in the iFrame is hosed and whatever follows

Now go to this company site http://www.google.com/doubleclick/

At the bottom of the page leave the language as English US and click on Contact Us. There is a link for the world wide offices that says Visit here.

However, when I switch the language to English (UK) the url changes to the one for that country http://www.google.co.uk/doubleclick/
Do the same thing to going to Contact Us and Visit here to bring up the corporate addresses and receive a different Google error. Both in the 400 range... 400 and 404.

Since I don't have something like Eclipse on my laptop I can't really nit-pick at the code plus I can't see anything on their servers like what is actually collected. We can only see the name of the tag but being as I've seen the other side (a lot of info) gets collected in those tags.

So a few possibilities are is..
1. They have this new tool and it's not been applied correctly in the launcher.
2. They had this tool, it worked but is now broken.
3. The code in the tags is bad and either Marketing and/or the Web Team need to remove it.
4. The code in the tag is good but was applied incorrectly on the server side and what's being called in the script is bad.
5. It's not EA but whom they've partnered with as their UK site links are hosed as well.
6. Take your pick... Feel free to add your own.

FYI - I tried different tricks in different browsers [MSIE9, Firefox 5.0, Google Chrome (13.0.782.218)] and the all erred. So this is not specific to one browser.

Regardless, you'd think they would have pulled this code by now as it's hosing up a whole region of game-play in a bad way. Plus, if some members use the in-game store in the launcher (I never do), they're loosing money.

Someone in Marketing or IT or both messed up bad. :shock:

You all could do what I did and request a Guru/Mod open an incident ticket to notify the Web Team and whomever else. They need to check out if that "tool" and it's API are working as they should.

Also for the bad sentence structure and all that jazz. It's storming here and I wanted to get this posted before a possible outage.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 09/03/11 03:32 AM

CleverClogs08

Same Problem. Extremely annoying. They need to fix this problem as soon as possible.
blunote00

I made a thread in technical and referenced this thread as it has a lot of useful info.
Hopefully, a SimGuru or Mod will get the issue reported soon.

ANNAPTX

Thank you, Blunote for all the good information...I haven't played in over a week, but purchased some store items just a bit ago, and I find the same script error coming up for me as well...US player here... it is annoying, just hope someone gets the information, and fixes the issue

blunote00

ANNAPTX wrote:Thank you, Blunote for all the good information...I haven't played in over a week, but purchased some store items just a bit ago, and I find the same script error coming up for me as well...US player here... it is annoying, just hope someone gets the information, and fixes the issue

I just bought $160 worth of simpoints and went to install the August Compilation set (forgot it was the first Thursday), and received the script error as well. However, I was able to run the script and download without any issues. So the tracking tag is now affecting other simmers and not just English (UK) simmers. Although it's probably more of an issue for them.

julienrob2004

Uk here and i also have the error with the launcher and have a 50/50 chance of the game not loading but locking up just before the EA logo on the black screen

SMILE . You may not realise how bad everything is. But it sure annoys all the grumpy people and makes you feel better .

Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: