Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Harassment in the Community  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Kryst51

I'm so sorry that this harassment is/was occurring and I hope your sister recovers well. Unfortunately you may never get justice from EA on this. I guess my only advice to people who are being harassed would be (beyond reporting the harassers that is) to ignore those who try to harass you. Easier said then done I know, but I have been harassed online before and that is really the only way to save your sanity. Because even if one person is banned there are always more to take his/her place.

MGSFan612

I don't understand why EA can't just ban the IPs users like that from joining the forum. Although they can't figure out how to fix the problem of keeping users logged in after closing the browser that has been going on for almost a year which is a very simple fix.(by setting the cookie for that info to last longer)

Karma will get that user eventually.

Hambil

I think making the community aware of these things when they happen is important. There are plenty of us who have zero fear of online bullies and will support people being harassed in any way we can. Some of us even have tech skills to help.

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
Callum9432

MGSFan612 wrote:I don't understand why EA can't just ban the IPs users like that from joining the forum. Although they can't figure out how to fix the problem of keeping users logged in after closing the browser that has been going on for almost a year which is a very simple fix.(by setting the cookie for that info to last longer)

Karma will get that user eventually.

Because an IP ban is incredibly easy to get around. Some people have rotating IPs, so it changes itself. It is also oncredibly easy (but not always legal) to change your own IP. There are other things as well. According to the people who brought down Sesert, he had, in the last year, moved from Israel to Malta to Spain and then America, so his IP will have changed many times.

Edit: I somehow managed to contradict myself by mistake

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/20/12 05:43 PM

bob007

Most people are assigned an ip address from their isp (internet service provider) using dchp. When you connect to your isp your connection is assigned an ip address from a pool of ip addresses assigned to that isp location. It is very easy to force an ip change. you can also use a proxy. Blocking by ip address in ineffectual. Blocking by the physical address (mac address) would be more effectual but not a complete solution either. There are ways around that also. As it seems some forum members don't want to behave themselves, a very busy forum needs proactive attentive moderation at the very least. It's been said that customer service gives the warnings for bumping so continue this CS has the ability to moderate the forums. Requiring a member to register a game won't stop the problems either. What is needed is a moderators that are VERY active on the forums. The moderators need a way to alert a situation that needs immediate attention. As members do not have any control (except to report and we all know how effective that is) there needs to be more positive external police action. Until effective oversight is brought to bear some people will find these forums a haven for mischief.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/20/12 05:01 PM

Callum9432

b o b 0 0 7 wrote:Most people are assigned an ip address from their isp (internet service provider) using dchp. When you connect to your isp your connection is assigned an ip address from a pool of ip addresses assigned to that isp location. It is very easy to force an ip change. you can also use a proxy. Blocking by ip address in ineffectual. Blocking by the physical address (mac address) would be more effectual but not a complete solution either. There are ways around that also. As it seems some forum members don't want to behave themselves, a very busy forum needs proactive attentive moderation at the very least. It's been said that customer service gives the warnings for bumping so continue this CS has the ability to moderate the forums. Requiring a member to register a game won't stop the problems either. What is needed is a moderators that are VERY active on the forums. The moderators need a way to alert a situation that needs immediate attention. As members do not have any control (except to report and we all know how effective that is) there needs to be more positive external police action. Until effective oversight is brought to bear some people will find these forums a haven for mischief.

I actually don't think moderation on this forum is that bad, it is the speed that is the problem. But I don't blame the moderators themselves for that, I blame the lack of moderators. There are about 39 forums with a new one being added roughly every 3 months. These are also the English speaking forums, so it is the one that most people who can speak English will use, because (and that is why) it moves so fast. But we only have 3 moderators (excluding the SimGurus themselves).

I have been thinking abot this, and I thought something like this would be a much better idea:

The General Disucssion section. There should be at least 2 moderators assigned to this section, as it contains 4 forums, one of which is the fastest moving.

The Sims 3 Store section should have at least 1 moderator, as it only has 3 forums, but it does have one of the fastest moving forums (Gift Gathering)

The Expansion Packs section should have at least 2 moderators, as there are 6 forums just now and a new one is added roughly every 4-5 months.

The Stuff Packs section should have at least 2 moderators, for the same reasons as the EP section.

The Game Tools section only really needs 1 moderator as there are only 2 (relatively slow) forums.

The Community section should have at least 1 moderator, and possibly 2.

I counted at least 9 moderators for that plan, which really isn't much. There are unofficial Sims forums that have the same or less forums and sub-sections in them, and are much less active than this one, but they still have 3-4 moderators.

Of course, the moderators would be quite within their rights to go to whatever forum they want (and moderate where ever they want), but their assigned area would be their main focus area for moderation.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/20/12 06:11 PM

SIMplified

....ANYWAYS I hope your friend is doing well. As stated it's very easy to get around IP bans so really it's near useless to do that anymore ): people can create multiple e-mails too. It's hard to keep nasty people off the internet.

Callum9432

SIMplified wrote:....ANYWAYS I hope your friend is doing well. As stated it's very easy to get around IP bans so really it's near useless to do that anymore ): people can create multiple e-mails too. It's hard to keep nasty people off the internet.

You don't actually need a valid e-mail to create an account on this site...

PsychoMasterX

the problem is alot of topic get repeated so that why it take awhile for mods to read them
SIMplified

Callum9432 wrote:You don't actually need a valid e-mail to create an account on this site...

Thanks. Part of my point.

PsychoMasterX

SIMplified wrote:
Callum9432 wrote:You don't actually need a valid e-mail to create an account on this site...

Thanks. Part of my point.

no but you do need to own the game
andinic28

I want to bump this for you hun I'm so sorry for you and your friend. I have gone through the same thing on here. One person actually started stalking me uploaded my sim and claimed it as their own and made it her avatar as well. The situation was taken care of finally when my husband called EA screaming at them and threatening to get lawyers involved for harassment. Note that for EA to do anything you have to go to the extreme with them. Try what we did and guaranteed the issue will be resolved because no company wants lawyers involved. You have to call them and demand that you talk to the highest person available...Good luck to you both and be safe!

Hambil

Just as general advice:

1) Chronical everything. The time, the person, the action, etc. That means both the bullies and the people from EA you deal with. Get names and log those too.

2) Send a registered mail to EA stating your issue, and attaching the above chronical. Ask them for assistance in complying with US law, as they are based in the US.

Often those two inexpensive steps will get results.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/20/12 07:16 PM

Zeri

you can create fake accounts all day, you need a valid code to register to post anything on the forums. but not to gift people rude message, apparently. that needs to be changed.

and i think moderation is EXACTLY what this site needs more of. sure they are there, somewhat. but not nearly enough for the amount of traffic this site receives. not even close. and they take weekends off.... which is when ALOT of this bullcrap takes place.

im sure they can find MORE than enough volunteers of active members with clean records, to help them do this. they just dont for some reason.

the forum is big. really big. their should be at lease 5 moderators for each section. someone might catch something someone else did not.

and we need a better way to report things. hitting the 'report' button does next to nothing. why dont you open up the guru or moderators pages so they can be contacted by everyone? dealing with a real person gets things done a little faster.

sure they will have more spam to sift thru, but maybe just maybe, some voices will be heard

Hambil

As far as I can see they have been very, very lucky. With the moderator to member ratio here I am surprised they haven't *had* to step up moderation. Not over stuff like this (though they should) but because people can post illegal things, that then are on the EA server and can cause them real trouble.

In other words, I'm amazed this place is so '4chan' troll free. It's a time bomb though.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 02/20/12 07:21 PM

Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: