Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Custom Sim passed to me through Simport!  XML
Forum Index » Showtime
FadedNovelty

Makeup would probably be easiest, I can take a picture of my make up tabs in game currently then after the fact (assuming it's in game and not just in the launcher).
crimrose

^Oh yeah, it is a problem. I don't think viruses are the worry here for the most part. I think it's a case of the game recognizing CC as its own content, and also overcrowding people's Sim bins. That's the real issue here.

EDIT This thread is moving so fast! Anyway, FadedNovelty, please do. If it's in the Launcher and not in-game, it just means it's been downloaded but not installed (which would make it considerably easier to delete, as well).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/07/12 07:25 AM

Anavastia

crimrose wrote:^I'll take your word for it. I don't think people are lying, but it's important to try to get to the bottom of it.

I didn't think you meant it was a recolour - re-textured doesn't necessarily mean re-coloured. The mesh itself could be altered to look different - BUT, because it was originally a mesh that EA made with the game, it could be passing through because SP thinks it's Sims content. Computers and programs aren't intelligent. They do only what they are programmed to do. They have no intuition and no reasoning power - so it stands to reason that this is a likely case for what is occurring.

EDIT: Please do take & post pics. It would help a lot to be able to see it.

yeah but retextures don't alter meshes, neither do recolors and so they can be saved as the default but look different. Perhaps the game registers it as regular content because technically it's not really. So if simport is designed to reject unknown files it's probably isn't designed to reject altered files that have the same saved names. So maybe that's what is going on which also means it's not dangerous viruses are still going to be rejected by it as it's not a sims 3 file.

Anavastia

Oh it's not necessarilly dumb, think of it as a custom pattern actually. If sims had custom patterns of the exchange you would still see them in game. As long as it's not harmful, and they aren't going to over right your files instead they're going to show in your game as just a different sims. So there really isn't reason to worry.

Angelllite7

Anavastia wrote:Oh it's not necessarilly dumb, think of it as a custom pattern actually. If sims had custom patterns of the exchange you would still see them in game. As long as it's not harmful, and they aren't going to over right your files instead they're going to show in your game as just a different sims. So there really isn't reason to worry.

Over writing files isn't the problem. Even if it can't transfer viruses, I really don't want to have to delete a bunch of garbage every time I play.

FadedNovelty

Angelllite7 wrote:
Anavastia wrote:Oh it's not necessarilly dumb, think of it as a custom pattern actually. If sims had custom patterns of the exchange you would still see them in game. As long as it's not harmful, and they aren't going to over right your files instead they're going to show in your game as just a different sims. So there really isn't reason to worry.

Over writing files isn't the problem. Even if it can't transfer viruses, I really don't want to have to delete a bunch of garbage every time I play.

So this.
KarinL

I'm just going to use SimPort on a new, freshly generated The Sim 3 folder. I'm saving the old one (with the saves I was playing) as a back-up.
If I find there's too much junk passed to me through SimPort, I will just delete that entire The Sims 3 folder, go back to the old one and play without SimPort.

I don't see any reason to use my games that I worked so hard on for the past few years as a 'testing ground' for a new EP.
Cyron43

Anavastia wrote:See i wonder if it's really cc content or content already in game but the texture of its been altered and then saved. So that yes it's cc and no it's not so the game puts it through because it's not really modded content or complete overhall. Like what im saying is it cc that is created to be saved as the default file. If that's the case that's probably why that sims cc made it through. Then i don't know if it's designed to reject a sim like that and as of yet no one has posted pics of the cc content making it through.

^That. I think Ana is right. Recolors and changed textures (using the default ones only) yes, anything else (despite Sims) no but I will keep an eye on it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/07/12 08:48 AM

I will accept friend requests only from people who I know from the forum and who I like.
Also: High ratings must be earned so do NOT beg for them!
RainbowSimQueen

I knew something was up. I have been trying to send 1 sim in particular through simport all day that has a lot of cc. I didn't think it would be an issue because they said cc wouldn't transfer over. Needless to say she never made it. When I shut down and fired up my launcher again there she was in the sim uploads 8 times. I figure this is everytime i tried to send her and since she had a lot of cc she wouldn't upload or go through simport.

Anavastia

Yeah it's still not a dumb thing for whatever reason not all the simport sims are saving to the game permenantly, so it might be ones that are still in que que i don't know. Just means ea probably needs to fix some coding so that when they upload to go back the game remembers to delete the downloaded sim. It's doing it for some but not all. So dev's will probably have to see what's causing that.

Honestly there really isn't anything they can do about the cc that saved as default all i can say is it's not harmful to your pc. Though i hope cc players would be considerate and ask first if it's okay to send a cc game to another player. For now players will just have to delete the sims they don't want saved period cc or not until ea patches it. There is really no way i can think of to get simport to recognize altered textures or recolors. It just reads the file and sends it through. Maybe it can pick up an altered mesh but that's as far as it's going to get.

TattooedLioness

Me and friend Pepper tested this, She sent me a sim loaded with CC. And EVERYTHING the sim was wearing minus the cc hair as it was package form went into my game. SO YES CC does go thro if its a simspack CC

SimSassybree

I really hope they fix this, I will likely still use simport but I will be asking about CC. I had about 7 sims installed and I think maybe 2 had CC. One had about 15 items on just them. It was crazy.
FadedNovelty

TattooedLioness wrote:Me and friend Pepper tested this, She sent me a sim loaded with CC. And EVERYTHING the sim was wearing minus the cc hair as it was package form went into my game. SO YES CC does go thro if its a simspack CC

Did the clothes go through too?
Noir

As someone said a while ago when simport became known. You should probably watch out for which people you using simport with. IRL friends is probably the best option if you want to be on the safe side, at least now.

Blog about my Cornish rex cats
http://tassarochlockar.blogspot.com

please use http://translate.google.com to read in english
crinrict

Uh, this is bad.

Have not gone through the whole thread yet but I will write up a post as soon as possible and link this thread in the bug thread and the bad cc thread.

What I think is happening is that you won't get the CC that comes in Sims3Packs but since you seem to get custom Sims in your game, you get the cc that is directly attached to them.

So they only partly lied cause they still don't care about this issue (as seem no one else). I've been preaching about this issue since over a year now and no one (including tool makers) even bother to look into it.

Forum Index » Showtime
Go to: