Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
When you download from sims 3 exchange is it safe?  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Jazzsmith

I've just got a new laptop and i dont fancy any viruses, Are the items and stuff on sims 3 safe to download?
Schweighsr

Not all of them, so my advise is to not download ANYTHING from The Exchange. If you want CC get it directly from the creator - the chance of getting something that messess up your game is much less. And avoid TSR [The Sims Resource] as they don't check their files either.

Reputable sites are Mod The Sims and All About Style. You can also check out My Sims 3 Blog for links to other good content [although they do occassionally rec stuff from TSR]; their addy is: http://mysims3blog.blogspot.com/

I Love The Sims 3 - If I Didn't Love It So Much, I Wouldn't Be Pressuring EA To Make The Game Live Up To Its Potential.
Jazzsmith

Schweighsr wrote:Not all of them, so my advise is to not download ANYTHING from The Exchange. If you want CC get it directly from the creator - the chance of getting something that messess up your game is much less. And avoid TSR [The Sims Resource] as they don't check their files either.

Reputable sites are Mod The Sims and All About Style. You can also check out My Sims 3 Blog for links to other good content [although they do occassionally rec stuff from TSR]; their addy is: http://mysims3blog.blogspot.com/

Does that mean everything on your blog is virus free?
Schweighsr

Jazzsmith wrote: Does that mean everything on your blog is virus free?

My stuff is virus-free. It is also CC-free, although there are probably some stuff from The Store in there.

My take on the OP was that she wanted to download Custom Content, so my stuff wouldn't help her. If she just wanted lots or Sims, she should be very careful and only download from people who advertize their stuff as virus- and broken CC-free. I know that RuthlessKK makes great stuff and none of it causes problems. But even a Sim that says it doesn't have CC can hide the .nkd file which messes up babies and toddlers in addition to making nude Sims.

And don't even get me started about the evil doll! That thing is STILL out there and it attaches itself to everything, lots, Sims, even patterns!

There is definately good, trust-worthy stuff on The Exchange, but there is also a lot of infected files - and it is hard to tell one from the other. So I always suggest that newbies avoid it until they have more experience.

I Love The Sims 3 - If I Didn't Love It So Much, I Wouldn't Be Pressuring EA To Make The Game Live Up To Its Potential.
andie6061

Sims that are labeled No-CC should be safe. If the file amount is high, then it does prolly have CC included.

brandi22

I never got a virus from the Exchange, but I did get some bad cc. (Clothing that was meant for adults, but would install itself on every newborn baby and toddlers, morphing them into really awful-looking creatures!) since then, I've posted a lot about that type of bad cc trying to help others who have it.

If you really want to download Sims from the Exchange, (or from other sites for that matter), your best bet would be to check the toddler clothing section of CAS (Create A Sim) after you've finished downloading them. If you see any outfits that look like they are meant for adults in that section, make a note of their appearance, and find them in the Installed Content section of your Launcher, then checkmark and Uninstall them.

I haven't downloaded any sims for awhile for this reason, because I have enough to choose from already, and because some of them even crashed CAS every time I would click the checkmark to "Accept" them.

Anyway - those are my "safety tips" for downloading Sims!

As far as viruses - I've downloaded from a lot of different sites and have probably 900 pieces of cc altogether, no viruses or even a threat of a virus. I don't necessarily advocate you do the same, though - at least make sure that you have a good antivirus program before you do ANYTHING. I can understand how you want to keep your computer safe, especially with a new one!

Also, remember that some cc, including objects, can be bad for the game. The worst that has happened to me is the "blue lots" issue that causes all lots to appear "blue" after you save the game, and go back in to play it.

Save this link to your Favorites and give it a title you will remember, such as "Sims Bad CC".

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/234888.page

If you ever run into problems, you will have this link available to help discover what the bad cc is.

If you choose to use .pkg cc, (that is, content that does not install thru the Launcher, but that you have to manually install yourself) I would recommend you go to Mod the Sims and do a search for "Delphy Dashboard." It is a really simple to download and use program that scans for corrupt content, and allows you to work with your .pkg cc in other ways, such as uninstalling it.

I believe there is also a "custard" tool available on MTS that scans .Sims3pack cc (custom content that installs through the Launcher.)

Hope that helps!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 12/03/10 06:43 PM

jaunty

I always use custard it is a fantastic tool to have.If you have this you can save eg: the sim from the exchange instead of add to game and check for bad cc before downloading.
Writin_Reg

I advise you to stay away from anything listed as a household - from sims, sim families, or houses with sims in them. The households is what usually has bad CC attached - but to just clarify things that no one is saying - there ARE NO VIRUSES anywhere on this site - not on the exchange or anywhere elese. It is EA's main site and highly filtered against viruses and all that kind of bad stuff. Your worse proble on this site is big winded people like myself who always writes way too much info. Yeah, I know I do it, but that's just me. hehehe And the other major problem is Bad CC which all the other simmers have mentioned and more. You can avoid the bad CC by making sure the download is an empty house or one with just furniture, and no sims. Or just stick to a single sim listed not as a household. CAS sims usually cannot drag bad CC with them, but household sims can and very often do. The same is true for houselots. Better yet get to know simmers here, most are marvelous people and do lots of beautiful creations, click on the button on their post at the bottom where it shows a blue "profile" and go to their sims pages, click on their studios, and download direct from the studio. It does go to the exchange, but you are not just picking willy nilly from all the exchange. I sometimes download lots of stuff from a simmers studio because I know the simmer or know of the simmer and the wonderful work they do. Stick to creators pages you learn that have safe downloads especially if you are looking for sims families and occupied houses.

Keep in mind that no simmer I know maliciously splashes their hard work with bad CC here, usually it was accidental and when you do get any bad CC it would be good to post about it somewhere so the simmer can pull down their work and fix their stuff as most are happy to fix it. I have not found any simmers here in tech, in Creative Corner, or in the Create a World forums that are not good, honest people who just want everyone to enjoy their hard work. But viruses is absolutely not a problem.

Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: