Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
My game keeps freezing (Mac)  XML
Forum Index » Mac Discussions
magrathean

Hi.

Recently my game started freezing randomly, forcing me to turn my computer off using the power button, since it won't let me force quit or go to another application using command+tab. I'm getting sick of this, since it's making playing The Sims 3 almost unbearable; for every few minutes playing i must spend another few minutes turning the computer off and on again, waiting for The Sims 3 to load and waiting for my save file to load.

• It's not a corrupt save file, as it freezes at random times and these are different each time i reload my game (sometimes it even freezes while i'm in build/buy mode).

• It's not a glitched or stuck item in my sims' house, since i recently had the lot bulldozed and had them move to a new lot, which puts all items in their places (and deletes paintings, as i bitterly learned the hard way, but that's another story).

• It's not a specific action the game can't process. For instance, if i save while my sims are sleeping and tell one to use the shower and then feed the baby when he gets up, the first time it might freeze, say, while he's taking a shower, the next time it might freeze while he's feeding the baby, and the third time it might freeze while he's still sleeping.

• It's not custom content; the only thing i've installed is the Don Pedro package, which is official. Oh, and Riverview.

• It's not a mod; i haven't modded my The Sims 3 game.

• It's not my computer; i'm running the game on a Mac computer with OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard), an Intel i5 processor (quad core at 2.67 GHz) and 8 GB of RAM, and i have no other apps open while i'm running the game.

• It's not my graphics card; it says here that ATI Radeon HD 2466 and HD 2600 cards may cause problems, but mine is an ATI Radeon HD 4850 card.

• I suspect it is my game disc, although only because i've basically ruled out everything else i can think of. However, the disc is only very slightly scratched; i always take absolute care with my discs, and the only damage the disc has taken is in the form of four tiny lines it has near one of the edges.

I'm posting here because i'm hoping it's something else which someone here might know about. Maybe someone has had a similar problem and knows a way around it which doesn't involve getting a new disc.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
    SimsFan619

Hello there. I play on a Mac and my game used to freeze as well. I don't know if this may solve your issue, but what I did was in the "Main Menu", go to "Options" and click "Enable Advanced Smoothing" and also, lower the "Windowed Mode."
    MoosesMe

Did you figure anything out for the game? Is it still doing this? Just today my game seemed to freeze so I began looking for explanations. This is the first time I've had a problem with the Sims 3 for my MacBook and it kind of freaked me out. It usually takes me around 5 minutes to save which I think is a lot but I hear it takes WAY longer for others.

Today while I was playing I lost the ability to click on certain buttons (Save as.., Save, etc.). It seemed as though only part of the computer was frozen while the other was working alright. I couldn't choose further actions to take, however my sims kept on living as usual. I could fast forward/pause time, but I couldn't scroll up or to the left (I could scroll down and right). I'm so confused to why this is happening. I couldn't save it, because though the Save and Quit button was okay, the check after "Would you like to quit?" wouldn't click down.

Are all the games like this or does it seem as though Macs are having the most problems? Can this damage the computer? I'd like to know whether I can keep playing when it works or if I should just forget it altogether..

Thanks.
    AllisonAnn81

Do you have Outdoor Living installed? I had never had a single crash with my game until I installed that stuff pack--then it was crashing every time I played. What I had to do was update each of my packs to the last version (some of them were out of date because the updater only updates the core game and the last pack), and then I cleared out my cache files, rebooted my computer and I've played twice now with no crashing. (Obviously that doesn't mean that it won't crash in the future--but at least I've been able to play twice without a crash--before it was honestly freezing every time and then I clicked command-option-esc to go back to the desktop.)

Google "Sims Wiki Patch" and the first result will be a site that will have a lot of information about how to tell what version your packs are on and how to update to the latest version.
    Echowever

I'm not sure if this is the same problem I was having because all these freezing/crashing symptoms are sort of similar. My game started abruptly freezing after 5-10 minutes of gameplay this week. I was able to Command-tab out, and I had to kill it with Activity Monitor. After days of troubleshooting, this worked for me:

1. Copy Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 directory to a backup location.

2. Uninstall game using the uninstaller app in Applications/The Sims 3

3. Reinstall

4. Copy my Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 directory back to its former location

5. Install Twallan's Overwatch and DebugEnabler scripts http://www.the-isz.com/nraas/index.php?board=4.0 There should be instructions on the forums for how to do this. It's not bad.

In particular, I ran the "fix invisible Sims" interaction, which you can find by going in to View Town and clicking on the City Hall.

Basically, those two scripts fix a bunch of bugged game data that can build up in the save file. Town Sims with screwed up invalid clothing, inventory and refrigerator contents screwed up, etc. When I ran this thing, I got dozens of notifications of bugged data that was fixed. Afterward, the game ran about 50% faster and was stable again.

tulakroin

the same thing has happened to me but I have the sims 3 late night already downloaded too. I am really stuck, and annoyed I just want to play on it so much!
    13me13

Well i also have been having this problem for the last two weeks and its annoying the hek outta me!
    Im still looking for awnsers because it just freezes and i have to turn my computer off and on again and load it all over again!
    i dont think its just mac because im on pc. I also have simz pets and late night installed but i dont think its that.But try this it may work the first couple times but then it may not(like mine)
    Right click on the sims 3 icon on your desktop and click on the one that says open file location then click on TSEP05. Hope this helps (:
    whtrbt

I think that the Sims 3 for Mac is just not meant to be. It's not really a Mac program. It's a PC game that was adapted by way of Cider for Mac.

I get this freezing thing all the time. It happens randomly, but I notice that it happens a lot during birthday parties on my home lot. All of a sudden the entire game will freeze. I can't click anything. My only option is to manually power down the mac and boot up again.

My other problem is error 12, which I get a lot, too.

My partner plays sims on his laptop PC with my disks and has NO problems with freezing. So, it's not the disks.
    KarinL

I play in windowed mode, and I also get the random freezing or shut-down. The advantage of windowed mode is that when my game freezes, I can force-quit it without having to shut down my Mac.

Still, since I got Pets the disk has been a LOT noisier than it was before, the computer gets a lot hotter and I can't play for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.

One thing that helps me a little is to be really, really s-l-o-w with the mouse. As soon as I try to scroll through the town too fast, the game freezes. It also freezes in CAS, when retexturing too many objects in a row, with too many Sims on the lot, and sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

I get error 12, but not that often. I do get a lot of 'exception raised' errors, though.
    Claireee3

Thanks Echowever, this trick worked like a charm for me!
    bbtj

my game freezes when i click on create sims and then it goes onto my desktop and my screen goes all big and i have to turn it off by the power button to get it back to normal. what shall i do?
    Brookiexoxo

This happens to me too. It happens more when I throw a party. My game freezes and I can't click on anything, and the only way to get out is to turn off pc (windows/tab button doesnt work) Though I can have my game running for a while (1-2) hours before it freezes. Is anyone else having this same problem or know how to fix it?
    whalever

Well, it's not only a mac problem because I'm running it on a computer at 3.5 GHz with 8GB of ram and using a 120GB SSD using windows, and it freezes on me for a few seconds at times at completely random intervals.
    yoda65

whtrbt wrote:I think that the Sims 3 for Mac is just not meant to be. It's not really a Mac program. It's a PC game that was adapted by way of Cider for Mac.

I get this freezing thing all the time. It happens randomly, but I notice that it happens a lot during birthday parties on my home lot. All of a sudden the entire game will freeze. I can't click anything. My only option is to manually power down the mac and boot up again.

Agree with you! Sims 3 is not Mac friendly!
    I can do anything: clean reinstall, no mods or CC … etc… there is always a problem with this game on Mac!
    I don't like manually power down the mac!
    Game freezing, CAS, my custom patterns won't stay installed …
    even if I have enough ram, graphic card, recent Imac etc…
    I'm so tired to try to have my game working

LadyHCroft

MoosesMe wrote:Did you figure anything out for the game? Is it still doing this? Just today my game seemed to freeze so I began looking for explanations. This is the first time I've had a problem with the Sims 3 for my MacBook and it kind of freaked me out. It usually takes me around 5 minutes to save which I think is a lot but I hear it takes WAY longer for others.

Thanks.

Regarding the slow saves, after i deleted cache packages to solve a travel problem, as suggested by others, my game, overall, ran faster and smoother, And my saves were quicker. Details are at the World Adventures section under the thread "Failure to Launch: Sim cannot go back home after Vacation ends".

Forum Index » Mac Discussions
    Go to: