Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Installer quit unexpectedly  XML
Forum Index » Mac Discussions
heracastle

I know there's several out there having this same problem. I hope there's a solution. When I try to install Sims3 I get

'The application The Sims 3 Installer quit unexpectedly.'

I've tried to restart my machine, make sure Time Machine is off, disconnecting from the internet, copying the disk to my desk top and try running it from there, making sure I have all my updates for my computer, turning the display settings down and thought about standing on my head. lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my specks

Mac OS X
version 10.5.7
Processor: 2.6 GHx Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2GB 667 MHx DDR@ SDRAM
Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
htimsnayr

Yeah it has been nearly 3 weeks since the games release and I still can't even install it. I'm having the exact same problem on my macbook pro. The installer just quits randomly, and at this point in time I do still meet the ever increasing system requirements.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
heracastle

I hope someone finds a solution pretty soon.
htimsnayr

I wish we could at least get some sort of reply as if to say "we are aware of the problem and are working out a solution".

/bump
heracastle

I know there's many of us out here that has a game we really want to play, but can't. I agree that some sort of acknowledgment would be really great and at least keep the peace while a solution is being worked out.

/bump
SimGuruMel

We've responded to another forum post you made on the same topic requesting that you email ts3techhelp@ea.com because we would like to contact you directly to do some troubleshooting on your computer.

thanks.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/11857.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/22/09 09:21 PM

SimGuruAce

Hi heracastle, we also had another simmer report on this issue about not being able to install the game. To assists you further could you please send a detail email to ts3techhelp@ea.com.

Before we can work on it we need to gather some information from you. Here's a post by SimGuruJim in what we need.
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/3450.page
heracastle

Thanks Guys. I have an email on the way.

Blessings
Michelle
heracastle

Hello SimGurus,

I've sent three emails with the subject Installer quit unexpectedly - from forum post with no reply. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/24/09 04:25 PM

heracastle

I got a reply this afternoon to my email. When I have more news on what's going on I'll make sure to share so hopefully others can benefit.

Blessings
SimGuruMel

We are now aware of a Mac OSX problem reported on Mac forums where user's hard drives somehow become hidden on their computers. This makes it impossible to install The Sims 3 and possibly other application to that hard drive. A solution that has worked is make your hard drive visible again following these steps:

0. Take any CD's / USB drives / iPods / connected disks out of the machine.

1. open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/...)

2. make sure you are using an Administrator account and have the password

3. type the following:
ls -lOd /
(That's lowercase ell, lowercase ess, space, minus, lowercase ell, capital oh, lowercase dee, space, forward slash)

4. You should get something like this:
hostname:~ username$ ls -lOd /
drwxrwxr-t@ 32 root admin hidden 1156 Feb 8 20:35 /
(note it says "hidden" instead of "-")

5. To fix this, type:
sudo chflags nohidden /

6. Type in your password when prompted.

You should now be able to install to that hard drive. If you have partitions on your machine, you will need to unhide all the drives using:
sudo chflags nohidden /Volumes/*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 06/26/09 06:00 PM

ReverseG

Brilliant work, sir! The solution worked straight off the bat. Hallelujah, we've found a solution!

Now, just one tiny detail - do I have to keep the chflags on that setting or can I actually switch it back after installation?
heracastle

I was just coming over here to post what I was told in email and I was beaten to it. This worked for me and I'm installing it now. Thanks for the work guys.

Blessings
Michelle
qwertytulip

thank you so so much simgurumel! not only can I now install the game but you've allowed me to find my lost hard drive!
hmmac

I have having the same problem with High-end Loft Stuff.
But I'm not sure 100% sure where to type "ls -lOd /"??

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/02/10 08:52 AM

Forum Index » Mac Discussions
Go to: