Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Error Code 12  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
freakingoddess

I keep getting this error code when saving. I contact EA support and below is the answer I received:

- Quit the game, if running and completely exit from the Sims 3 Launcher.
- Open 'My Documents'. If you're using Windows Vista please refer to 'Documents' folder instead.
- Double-click 'Electronic Arts' folder.
- Double-click 'The Sims 3' folder.
- Right-click on the 'Saves' folder and choose 'Delete' from the pop-up menu.
- Click 'Yes' when asked to confirm delete..
- Now start the game and try to save your progress. You shoule now be able to save in the game.

My concern is-will this delete all my saved info?? I mean, I'm sure they wouldn't direct me to do this without warning me it will get rid of all my games....but you never know I guess. If you delete this saves file, will all my games be lost?
SimGuru_BGY_11

Hi there.

For your specific issue, check this FAQ:

https://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_
adp.php?p_faqid=22290

Always remember to do the following as well where needed:

Troubleshooting tips:
adp.php?p_faqid=22231

Check your devices and drivers to make sure everything is working correctly and up to date:
adp.php?p_faqid=10711

And the system requirements, for reference:
adp.php?p_faqid=21652

Make sure to check the Master Help Thread for solutions, which is updated with new information as it comes in:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/3714.page#21080

-Big Guy-

inf666

Ok SimGuru_BGY_11,

Here is my query on this matter as this is the ehh... maybe about the 6th time this one has come up on me. I'm not worried about it as I always keep multiple backups of my save games on a separate drive.

Error Code 12 according to the Readme.txt states as follows...

01: No save file information.
02: No active world.
03: The save path is empty.
04: Cannot save directory.
05: Cannot find the requested file.
09: Failed to create header record.
10: Failed to write header record.
11: Pre-save callback failure.
12: World file save failure.
13: Post-save callback failure.
14: No load/save manager found.
15: Other error. Sorry. <==]=- My Personal Favorite!!! rofl!!

So lets get down to the nitty gritty of this thing and if your allowed to tell us what causes this failure?? I'm assuming it has to do with the OS running out of system resources. *** Rough Guess on my part ***

Or

The Game itself causes a file to *** What I call in Programming a Hiccup *** Loop File Redundancy or To many Iterations of a specific line trying to calculate *** and this forces the file corruption to where the file cannot be written to the disk. Hence why you would get the corrupt data file. And this would also concur with my statement about the OS running out of system resources as well.

The one thing I have noticed while playing and monitoring the game at the same time is that it will use 1.7GBs of my System Ram. Which is fine. I have 6.3 Left to spare aside from the OS Vista x64 taking 553MBs on the initial boot.

However, I have noticed a Dramatic increase in system resource allocation while saving. in other words the game while saving will use 100% CPU ** AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core ** resources and eat up 2.6GBs of System Ram Resources at the same time. WoW!! Now this could just be due to my system specs but for those that don't have gaming rigs this could be potentially lethal to saving games and whatnot.

I'm not trying to be a know it all and I'm not saying I know how this game runs or what problems it has but I just want to ask what causes this 1 issue if your allowed to tell us.

I understand by the EULA that it is a forbidden topic to discuss programming or altering of the game without EA's consent. That's fine...I'm not asking how to fix it. I just want a little more insight on what causes these errors and hopefully with my knowledge of what I do know I can prevent this issue and then pass on to you guys and the rest of the community as to how to fix it.

And going to the help sections for system specs and all of those other links for myself, doesn't help the technical nuts like myself who know how to code and script and whatever.

Believe it or not, there are thousands of people like myself that want to help you guys in resolving these issues for the game. But there are also quite a few of us that feel like we are getting the nose up for our efforts. Not that we are looking for any recognition or anything of the sort. But we just want to help you guys resolve issues like this.

So anyhoo, I understand what error code 12 is and I just stopped in here to check and see if the issue had been resolved. We are here to help if EA is willing to let us...

Thanks for your time and for reading my book...rofl!!!

And loving every minute of it!!!

freakingoddess

Alright. Here's what I tried. I went into that saves file and saw there was a version on my Sunset Valley that instead of being called backup was called Sunset Valley Bad, and said "bad file" underneath....I may not speak computer, but I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

So, first I tried deleting that and trying to play again. But in the game again had this problem while saving. So, I backed up my game and tried to delete the file as instructed. Surprise Surprise, it deleted all my neighbourhoods. Is this the only solution? I really think I should have been warned about that before doing it! If I was trusting them blindly I would have lost all my game play so far. I tried putting the files back, just in case. They went back in the game but continued to have this error...and it's everytime I try and save now, so I really can't play.

I tried to play a new neighbourhood and saved just fine. I know as my neighbourhood got bigger the saves take longer...so perhaps this is something about my computers capabilities, I don't know. I tried several times to do that system spec test, but it would never open properly for some reason. So I can't even tell if that is the problem. But what was the "bad file" about then? I do have an old version of my neighbourhood saved, but I took it last week which in Sim time is quite a long time ago...This most recent generation hadn't become young adults, married, and moved out....I would hate to have to start that again. I guess I should have saved more frequently but that gets to be kind of crazy saving backup files all the time. Plus, I don't want to have to go back to that if this is going to occur again.

Hmm...just wondered...could I move my families to a new neighbourhood by putting them in the bin? Or no, do they loose all their relationships and such? I'm not sure...I did it once with a family...single mom with daughter and dad didn't move and disappeared from the family tree. Hmm...not good...don't want to move them if they won't know someone is there sibling/aunt/etc.

Any suggestions?? If this is going to continue happening when my neighbourhoods get large and complex, there is no point in playing a new neighbourhood so I really need to know. I'll try that computer spec checker thing again tonight, but it seemed to not want to work for me.
freakingoddess

Just had a thought...if it does have something to do with CPU usage, I remember in sims 2 I learned a way to go into the task manager and end a bunch of the useless processes while playing. Would this maybe help if it's already using less before I play? I might try that tonight...but I remember there were 2 files you should NEVER end...but can't remember what they were called...does anyone know?
LEvans102071

SimGuru_BGY_11 wrote:Hi there.

For your specific issue, check this FAQ:

adp.php?p_faqid=22290

Always remember to do the following as well where needed:

Troubleshooting tips:
adp.php?p_faqid=22231

Check your devices and drivers to make sure everything is working correctly and up to date:
adp.php?p_faqid=10711

And the system requirements, for reference:
adp.php?p_faqid=21652

Make sure to check the Master Help Thread for solutions, which is updated with new information as it comes in:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/3714.page#21080

-Big Guy-

Hmmm... I notice you didn't actually ANSWER the question she asked... seeing that I'm in the same position now (first time I've had this error) I kinda assume that the answer would be YES.. unless you'd done a backup BEFORE the error...

Is that about right, Big Guy?

Peace
Dodie

I get the error code 12 only when I try to save my game when I have uploaded a house that I have built. I had the house saved in my library first, before I tried saving. I built this house from the foundation up, and I was really proud of it so I don't want to delete it. But seeing as how I can't play in it anyway, I may as well start over. I was hoping for a solution first before resorting to that.
Sunirose

I'm also getting Error Code 12 messages. It was happening about every 5 saves until i stopped overwriting the saves and started renaming every save. Now i get the error code message about every 14-16 saves.

Also i clicked on every one of Big Guys links, did the sys. req. scan and checked everything against the instructions from the links and my computer exceeds all EA's mimimum requirements for playing TS3 and supposedly is 100% compatible with TS3.
Also, deleting the saves folder does not resolve the issue. However, I think what Big Guy is actually saying when he says delete the saves folder, is delete all your towns and start over. So Big Guy is that what your saying, I mean its not that hard to see that's what your implying. And if so, what are you saying, the town that's getting the error code 12 message is corrupt and the only solution is to start over? All well and fine, but that's like deleting a fine piece of artwork that someone put alot of time and thought into.
And if all that is so, then whats causing the corruption? What's the answer and how can it be resolved without losing entire town's? And if i delete one corrupt town is it going to happen again?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/02/09 06:54 AM

Sunirose

Well i ended up abandoning the neighborhood that was getting constant error code 12 messages and started a new neighborhood. Now i'm getting error code 12 messages about every other save attempt. Can anyone in TECH offer any help/advice/workaround for this problem other than telling me to delete my neighborhood and start over again?
Sunirose

You know what? I'm sick of this game, and even more so with EA customer service. EA you love to **** up the compliments but hate to deal honestly with your faulty games.
ladyceolura

I have had more or less this same problem too and also contacted Ea support. The responses I got were for error code 13 but I am still getting that one and now I am getting error code 12 as well. Also the responses I got were also the same as freakingoddess. I only get these errors on houses that are in the higher difficulty though. I moved one of the members of a family into her own house by herself so she is in a easier level and I don't get errors on her saves. I would really like to know what to do too. Because I do use mods but I have tried taking them out and still get the dumb errors. I refuse to restart all over again.
ladyceolura

bump
KatiL

As more of us get bigger neighborhoods, more of us are having this problem. I would hope EA would work at figuring out what's causing it and find a way to patch it or to give detailed instructions on how to get the game to save with Error Code 12 popping up.
Symanteco

I noticed that if you pause the game before saving and use SAVE AS, as described in my other post...

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/64120.page

It eliminated both ERROR 12 and ERROR 13. Since these have to do with the WORLD condition I figured why not STOP THE WORLD (PAUSE) first then save. This has, thus far worked flawlessly (but use the method described in the above mentioned post for a complete workaround.

While not perfect, it hopefully will help somewhat until a patch is released.

Architektin

OMG it can´t be a "solution" to delete all our safe files, can it???
yesterday i wanted to save my main hood - gen. 6 was just born, reason enough to safe. but instead saving would take forever, never ending to call it actually, so i had to quit (the game wouldn´t let me do anything else). back to game, the hood was there but - wouldn´t load at all! and i got NO error code, nor was i able to get my hood back. 6 generations, loads of work, GONE.
ok, "be patient" i thought, started a completely new hood, with a new sim, built a new starter home, everything fine (ok, all the special items/skills lost from my old hood, but well...).
i´m happy again, the new sim is doing well. time for work, safe and exit game - but WHAT??? error code 12. this time i safed the 2 new households, but the hood is gone again.
i had no issues at all at the beginning, but all of a sudden it starts to bug, though i´m never downloading cc (except shop items, of course...). what´s wrong? my computer is high above min. specs also.

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: