Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
My Banning on The Sims 3 Forums Means I Can't Play SPORE? (My Last Criticism of EA)  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
ZeekSlider

TL;DR
(Too Long; Didn't Read)
To clarify, the topic of this thread:
~ A banning on one title locks a player out of their entire EA game library

This thread is NOT about:
~ My ban
~ The Developers at EA
~ The quality of EA's products
~ How to properly criticize

---------------------------------------------------------

On the afternoon of September 25, 2011, I was banned for 72 hours for criticizing EA as a whole. The e-mail I was sent flagged the sentence “They’re all a bunch of idiots anyways…” as inappropriate language. As part of the protocol used on the forums, my post was deleted and the thread in question was locked. Curious for more information, I decided to talk to a Live Customer Service representative and was told that my banning was not issued by a forum moderator that was assigned for The Sims 3 forums. My banning actually came from a game developer who didn’t like what I said.

Smarika: Friend this is the decision of game developers that they don't want even these sentences on forums so you are banned

ME: People have been posting like that since the other day when the Create-a-Pets demo was released, calling the developers lazy, among other things. Yet they were not banned. I still don't understand why my comment was flagged as a Terms of Service violation if that kind of conduct was happening and not being policed a few days ago when it was at its peak.
Smarika: Even they are banned also.
ME: So what you are saying is that I'm not allowed to criticize the developers. Is that correct?
Smarika: That developers wan.
Smarika: wan
Smarika: want
ME: But if I criticize the developers, there's a chance I'll get banned because they don't want to see those comments on the forums. Correct?
Smarika: That's their decision to take action.

This information greatly unsettled me, but I accepted my banishment from the forums. Or at least I thought it was just exclusive to the forums.

As part of the banning, I discovered that I was not able to upload any new created content to My Studio. Fair enough. After all, you don’t want your users to be uploading hateful content centralized around their banning. I also couldn’t contact any of my friends on The Sims 3 website, as commenting on user profiles was also stripped from my use. Again, understandable.

What I wasn’t made aware of was the fact that my banning also extended to the Store. Since I had three days to kill, I thought I’d download some DLC to try it out. I could not. My Store account was banned as well. This included my Origins account. Alright, fine. I do find it odd that EA doesn’t want me to spend money on them while I’m banned, but whatever floats their boat.

I decided to play another game instead. SPORE.

Upon loading SPORE and signing into my account, I discovered that I was banned from that game as well. How can this be? I thought my actions were centralized to just The Sims 3!

As it turns out, your EA account is now linked to any and all EA titles you may own that have online features of any sort. If you get flagged and banned on one title, you lose all online features for the rest of your EA game library.

Jitendra: Your account is suspended for 72 hours , because of using un professional language.
ME: That's for The Sims 3. Why is my account banned on SPORE?
Jitendra: It will be activated after 72 hours. You need to wait for 72 hours.
ME: But that banning was for The Sims 3 forums and their website. Why would that affect my account on SPORE?
Jitendra: Your ea account is banned.
ME: All I do on SPORE is sign in, check if any of my creations have comments from users, and then sign out. I don't post anything there as far as written postings on their forum goes.
ME: Wait. So if I do something to get banned on one game title, I lose access to all online features for my entire EA game library?
Jitendra: Yes, If your account is banned then you are not suppose to access any online EA games.
ME: So even though my actions were on The Sims 3, I lose my ability to play SPORE and get any online content, as design in that game?
Jitendra: Yes. It’s a temporary suspension for 72 hours. It will be activated after 72 hours. You need to wait for 72 hours.

Reading through the TOS again, I discovered that EA does state they have the right to do this upon agreeing to the EULA of any and all games with online features.

This is utterly appalling and disgusting.

To clarify the above, a ban on the community forum means EA can turn off your ability to play any and all EA games that have and/or require an online connection.

What EA has essentially done is made sure that I stop playing their games because they did not like what I said. Period. This kind of action is insulting to me as your consumer, a consumer whom you have on record as spending well over $1,000 on Sims 3 DLC over the course of 2 years. It is a shameful action that makes little to no sense in practice.

The banning from the forum was understandable and accepted from my end. The game developers at EA do not want to see certain forms of criticism on their website, and since they own this domain, they have every right to keep, delete, and ban whoever and whatever they please.

But to take away my ability to play the games as designed? To take away online features from ANOTHER GAME TITLE that is unrelated to where the ban originated from? That is beyond words of both shock and anger.

Had I known the length in which the TOS goes when involving a banning, had I know that my actions on one title’s forums would affect my entire EA game library, I would have not agreed to them unless I absolutely had to in order to play the game. And if the second scenario was the only way to play the game as designed, then I would have avoided all forms of public commentary and input offered by EA. All for the sake of being able to play my games.

Since it has become clear, as stated above, that my criticism may, in fact, warrant a second banning, I will go on the record to make this written promise:

This is the LAST TIME I will be criticizing anything EA does. From this post on, there will be no commentary from me, positive or negative. There will be no complaints, compliments, or even suggestions when asked for them or when a situation arises to warrant posting them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/28/11 11:14 PM

Like my post? Buy something off my wishlist as a thank you!
http://tinyurl.com/TS3Store-ZeekWishlist
Anavastia

I want to say for the record that critiscism although is tolerable to a certaind degree by EA name calling is not. It isn't criticism if you are calling someone a name. No instead of making judgement on their work, your are passing personal judgement on their character. I have said before in these forums the points you are trying to get across will not be heard if you cannot give feedback nor suggestions without throwing around insults.

Many people have given lots of feedback and criticism of EA, we believe they work their employees too hard. Which makes them far from lazy. We also believe they have high potential, but that potential was being limited by deadlines, and other circumstances. I for one did not like the rpg elements in sims 3 and Rod Humble who is no longer an employee of EA (and i feel wonderful of that because believe he is a developer that has 0 talent), and make full criticism of him as he was the one responsible fully of why sims is the way it is. As you can see once he was fully out the way, this team is now discovering and testing new things to bring to sims and amaze fans. I would like to see when they are not limited by sims 3 what they will do with sims 4 because it seems to me that now they are getting into the swing of things. This team is by far very smart because in the very least they can read the forums and they are indeed listening and reading for feedback and ideas. Though i wish many of the bugs can be fixed him sims 3, that is of EA and the team alone, again i wish that deadlines were more flexible to allow for repairs of the game but unfortunately people may and will have to look to the community for that.

I highly doubt the team wants anyone to be silent, however what they do not need is someone name calling them and then turn around and calling it criticism. Remember at some point if you do constructive criticism that it needs to be just that constructive. If you cannot do that you should not post in heat of anger.

ZeekSlider

To clarify, the topic of this thread:

~ My ban
~ The Developers at EA

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/28/11 10:43 PM

Anavastia

Oh but i was on topic sir, for the simple fact you say your banning was because you criticiszied EA and in fact you insulted the developers. It says clearly in your title the topic is your last Criticism of EA. So i am free to to dicuss whatever topics you put in your post. Which is your banning, sims 3 and your criticism. Of which all i am saying is what you did is not criticism. Don't want people discussing it than simply put you can just say did you know EA has the right to ban your entire online origin account through the TOS. You did not have to mention you were banned, and you did not have to mention you criticized EA, but since you did it must mean you are looking for attention for it and therefore i am free to discuss it.

Jenieusa

Yep...if i am not mistaken..Sims Vip has been posting about this for about a year now....

Jarsie9

ZeekSlider wrote:To clarify, the topic of this thread:

~ My ban
~ The Developers at EA

-Them that has the gold, makes the rules.
-Freedom of speech doesn't apply to private boards. That's why they can make whatever rules they want and *enforce* them in whatever manner they want.
-You can't play the game unless you click yes to agree to the terms of the EULA. Pity you didn't take the time to read them before you clicked on the yes. Now you know what's in it; there's not much you can do except completely uninstall your game and refuse to play anymore in protest.
-You've educated a lot of people with your thread; maybe some of them will take heed and prevent themselves from making the same mistake.

I Am No Longer Accepting Friend Requests. All Friend Requests Will Be Declined.
ZeekSlider

Jenieusa wrote:Yep...if i am not mistaken..Sims Vip has been posting about this for about a year now....
Do you have a link to this? I would like to read these posting.

Darkling

Interesting...this thread started in Ideas and Feedback but got moved to General Discussion. It's usually the other way around. Are they trying to scare the rabble?!?

tommiegirl_ca

Well, it's their forum, their rules. If they don't like something they have every right to ban that person or delete the thread. Access to games, however is a different subject.

Trust me, I've been there. If you want to continue to participate on this forum, you need to play by the rules. It's that simple.

Jdavij20033

Pity you didn't take the time to read them before you clicked on the yes. Now you know what's in it; there's not much you can do except completely uninstall your game and refuse to play anymore in protest.

Bwahahahaha! That comment reminds me of the South Park episode where Stan didn't read his terms of agreement with Apple and thus was subject to be experimented on as the new Human CentiPad. The point of that episode is that it is ridiculous to hold consumers responsible to the terms and agreements, especially when the "agreement" is established with the click of a mouse. No one reads the terms. Please do attempt to punish me for not abiding by them, as there is no way to prove that it was ME or anyone else who agreed!

Anyway, OP, I agree with you that the ban from other games and/or online access to other game forums owned by EA is a bit excessive, given the remark that you made. Yes, it is impolite to call someone, whom you do not know, an idiot, and yet, I think that people call other people idiots all the time! If some guy gives me the finger and calls me an idiot because I cut him off in traffic, I can't take down his license plate number and report him to the DMV in order to have his license revoked. I understand that privately owned products are different than the democratic country in which we live. Which forces me to use another analogy:

If I bought a flat screen TV from Sony and hated it, and decided to go to Sony's website to post that I think they are idiots, I rather doubt that they would care, let alone that they would repossess my TV and any other Sony products I have paid for, regardless of whether I pressed the "I accept" button or not!

I sympathize with you, Zeek. I am sorry to hear that EA can't handle criticism.

ZeekSlider

I have added a TLDR section to the top of the original post in an effort to steer this topic back to the subject matter at hand and away from the topic of my banning. As I've stated in my lengthy post, I understand the banning and accept it on my end. I have mentioned the situation only to provide a context as to how this discovery was made.

I would like it if the topic of how a banning on one EA title locks a player out of their entire EA game library's online features was discussed from this point onward. Thank you.

blunote00

Location:Council Bluffs, IA. - Originally from the south.☺ I've worked in IT 27+yrs & ♥ ♪Jazz♪

I saw the thread and imo don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I agree with a lot of your post. Sorry to see you go.

sent via mobile phone

EDIT: Just to add...
A while back when I was standing in line at GameStop for the midnight release of Late Night, I was one of few there for the Sims and most everyone else was there for other releases. There were quite a few gamers that said they didn't play EA games because of how they block your access to all your other EA games.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/29/11 02:10 AM

At my age competence is a turn on!
♥No longer offering Tech help!♥
dark5id3

ZeekSlider wrote:I have added a TLDR section to the top of the original post in an effort to steer this topic back to the subject matter at hand and away from the topic of my banning. As I've stated in my lengthy post, I understand the banning and accept it on my end. I have mentioned the situation only to provide a context as to how this discovery was made.

I would like it if the topic of how a banning on one EA title locks a player out of their entire EA game library's online features was discussed from this point onward. Thank you.

Because you are not being banned by Sims 3. You are being banned by EA which includes anything that is EA...this means the EA store, any other EA game forum, everything Sims 3, and anything that involves connection to any EA site like uploading sims or spores characters, etc.

You can play spore, you just can't use the online services.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/28/11 11:24 PM

Docusat

I don't remember your original post and don't know if your banning was reasonable or not, which as you say is not the issue. The consequences are pretty scary. I don't play any other EA games and I'm not going out of my way to get banned but the whole idea that they will block you from all their online stuff is ... I don't know, weird and doesn't make much business sense and scary. Why they need so much control I do not know.

I hope you don't disappear Zeek who else is going to be my mod free glitch tester. And I always read a thread where I see your name, there's usually something fun going on.

edited for spelling

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/28/11 11:36 PM

Thanks for the siggy stikystuff
ZeekSlider

dark5id3 wrote:You can play spore, you just can't use the online services.
Spore requires an online connection in order to populate the game with content. While there is an offline mode, the content library is small, and eventually, the player will run out of things to see and interact with in the game. This results in several empty planets/nests, and with Galactic Adventures installed the possibility of no new Captain Missions to complete.

Post Reply Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: