Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Help I Have Error Code 12  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
earthgirl

TheNina wrote:
Going to be really stupid here but... What if you have more then 4 GB? I have like.. 4,2 GB, humongous amounts of RAM, basicly I should be able to run this game 3 times. I still get errorcode 12, and my game crashes. I don't get the issues though before my sims kids gets around their teen years. I've tried everything, I don't have mods, I've removed CC and store items, uninstalled and re-installed a million times...

I'm using this thing before every gameplay: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Open it, select TS3W.exe and it's going to reserve more memory for the program to run.

Also, maybe put 4GB instead of 3GB? I don't know.

I'm here, because I got the ErrorCode 12 too earlier and now I just applied this method and I'm about to see how it works and if it works with this patch. XD

Scaranna_83

This solution should be stickied!

Thank you so much Phil! Your solution worked like magic. I waited for a few days before posting this to make sure. I searced all over the internet and tried every fix and solution and this is the only one that helped. No more error code 12 for me, thanks to you!
xcrstfallenstrx

For anybody with this issue I would recommend that you check your dcbackup folder. It's where the memories of EVERY sim in your game EVER, including townies, is stored. I went there recently when I was having this issue again, even though I have already expanded how much ram my game can use, and turns out my folder was over 4 gigs in size.

I was eating up ram because my game was trying to access everything in this folder. After deleting it (I have triple checked, and it is safe to do this) I have had no trouble, and when I start to get laggy again, I pop in, and the dcbackup folder is back up to 1.5 to 2 gigs, and I just delete it again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/22/12 02:03 AM

xVee

A BIG thank you to Phil.

You've made my simming life 1000x better. The lag is gone. I can save whenever I want and however I want. I was on the verge of giving up which would have devastated me since I'm doing a 100-baby-challenge. You're the greatest. Kudos to you, m'dear.

I could kiss you!!!

My 100 baby challenge.
Latest update: March 7, 2014
DARIUSSILVERTO

Sorry to jump in on this thread but I am also having this trouble as well. I know its got nothing to do with my pc because its got 8GB of RAM. And also got 2.20ghz i7 Core processor speed in it.

I did find another thread similiar to this lagging issue that it was something to do with the graphics shared memory. So I followed that user's troubleshooting steps in order to change my graphics card to completely run through Nividia GeForce graphics instead of it running through the Intel shared graphics on my Toshiba laptop.

That has helped it abit but a small lag spike now and then.

My DCBackup folder was abit high in file size in there. So I deleted everything in there. Except for that important file.

It helped it to run abit more better so I know I am getting close to the cause of the lag problem.

I will try this command prompt that was mentioned in the earlier post of this thread. I hope it would work and help it to play it more smoothly.

sn0tje

earthgirl wrote:

I'm using this thing before every gameplay: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Open it, select TS3W.exe and it's going to reserve more memory for the program to run.

Also, maybe put 4GB instead of 3GB? I don't know.

I'm here, because I got the ErrorCode 12 too earlier and now I just applied this method and I'm about to see how it works and if it works with this patch. XD

I tried this but it doesn't work for me unfortunaly At first it did but after a few saves Error 12 pops up again. + it makes my game shut down without notice more often. Gonna try Phil's method.. fingers crossed.

I'm just getting sooooo frustrated restarting and replaying same days over and over and over Really hope EA fixes this soon!
Sophie2323

Just adding my feedback, I tried Phil51660's advice and it worked a treat!
I had been getting error 12 and crashing since installing seasons and now it seems ok (fingers crossed) I have saved many times and played for hours and no problem. I also deleted all the bad saves and have computer on 'game mode' (so just disables any unnecessary windows tasks when sims is active)

Just to add too, I have FINALLY made it to Spring thanks to this! as my game kept crashing/or couldn't save I could never get through all the seasons! no idea how sick of Autumn I was getting!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/28/12 11:58 AM

Cyron43

@Phil: I run a quad core (I5) machine with Windows 7 64bit, 8GB RAM and 1GB graphics memory but still I got Error 12 two times since I installed Seasons!
Of course I don't run any other software than the usual windows background tasks while I play.
Any advice for my case?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/29/12 01:38 PM

I will accept friend requests only from people who I know from the forum and who I like.
Also: High ratings must be earned so do NOT beg for them!
goth_chik

I have 8GB of ram and it still comes up with error code 12
blunote00

Location:Council Bluffs, IA. - Originally from the south.☺ I've worked in IT 27+yrs & ♥ ♪Jazz♪

The actual fix for this is from MTS.
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Insufficient_Memo
ry_Crashes

I suggest bookmarking to your Favorites.

Everyone needs to remember that computers use "virtual" memory as well. So it's not just the physical RAM but virtual RAM. However, you assign more "virtual" RAM based on the physical.

Cyron43 wrote:@Phil: I run a quad core (I5) machine with Windows 7 64bit, 8GB RAM and 1GB graphics memory but still I got Error 12 two times since I installed Seasons!
Of course I don't run any other software than the usual windows background tasks while I play.
Any advice for my case?

You have a 64-bit OS and you can try this but idk if it will help much. However if you have quad core, how many CPUs do you have on?

If you're only using one you can change it to two by going to Run, type in msconfig. On the System Config click the Boot tab, Advanced options... Under number of processors: change it to (2). Might help with that having two on. You have four you know.

goth_chik wrote:I have 8GB of ram and it still comes up with error code 12

Don't know what to tell you because you only listed the physical RAM.

At my age competence is a turn on!
♥Happy Easter! In-Game!♥
Cyron43

Thank you blu, I will try that. *Hugs*

I will accept friend requests only from people who I know from the forum and who I like.
Also: High ratings must be earned so do NOT beg for them!
dollyslover

I havent got the edit option in recovery section on my comp. I get as far as recvery section, but no edit, only a dump file??
so any more ideas please.
dollyslover

ok I did it, thanks Phil. now to see if it works.
julienrob2004

I tried what phil said and now instead of error 12 after about 2 hours play i get a black screen and crash within two minutes of play . I tried it four times in case the first was just unlucky and every time it crashed .

So back to square one for me

SMILE . You may not realise how bad everything is. But it sure annoys all the grumpy people and makes you feel better .
SimCarlex

Phil51660 wrote:The only way I could get rid of periodic Error code 12 problems was to enable access to more than 2 GB of memory (I have 4 Gb installed). I had to update to all the latest patches (versions 1.19.44/2.14.4/3.10.4/4.7.4/5.5.4/6.2.4) After this, I have not had any more Error Code 12 problems.

For your system, it depends on your operating system (XP, Vista, or Windows 7 and whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit. I recommend you have at least 4 GB of memory. For 64 bit Vista or Windows 7, the latest versions of Sims 3 can use more than 2Gb of memory already. For 32 Bit you have to enable access to more than 2 Gb memory on startup.

Here's what I did. My system is 32 bit Vista which as installed only accesses 2 Gb of memory. I had to install at least 4 Gb of memory and do the following to allow a 32 bit operating system to address more memory (from Mod The Sims/Sims Wiki page):

1) 32-bit Operating Systems
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows, and additional step is required in order for The Sims 3 to use more than 2 GiB of virtual memory. You must have at least 3 GiB of RAM installed in your system before taking these steps.

For Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008
Open the Command Prompt with administrative rights.
Open Start.
Open Programs.
Open Acessories.
Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
Type the following and hit enter:
If you have 3 GiB of RAM installed: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 2560
If you have 4 GiB of RAM installed: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072
Close the command prompt and restart your computer.

If you have XP, here are the MTS instructions:
Windows XP, Server 2003
Open System Properties.
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog.
In the System Startup area, click Edit to open the Windows boot.ini in Notepad.
Make sure to disable Word Wrap from the Format menu (you do not want a check to appear next to it).
Find the [Operating Systems] section. Each line below this header represents an operating system installed on your computer.
At the end of each line under [Operating Systems] add the following after /fastdetect (or whatever is at the end of the line):
If you have 3 GiB of RAM installed: /3GB /userva=2560
If you have 4 GiB of RAM installed: /3GB

I think it is very poor EA game design that you have to make changes like this in order to prevent this problem.
Save the changes and close Notepad.
Close all open dialogs and restart your computer.

This post should be turned into a sticky in this forum
Thank you Phil, you helped me solve all the problems I was having with the game after installing Seasons.

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: