Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
SimGuru's, Where Are You? The Sims 3 is Failing.  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Author Message
HappySimmer3


Joined: 11/10/09 09:40 PM
Messages: 3609
Location:Just left of center...

I'm not opposed to something new and different from sims 2. At all. I have never asked for an EP to be repeated from Sims 2 on this forum or anywhere else. I have complained about all the animations and gameplay they've taken out of TS3, though, and I make no apologies for those complaints. We have a poorer game because of it, imo.

What I definitely DNW is a sloppy and badly coded game full of bugs and uninteresting gameplay. Sure, there have been things that I have loved about every EP and hats off to the Sims' Team, but sadly there have also been absolutely horrible things in every EP. Tombs that don't respawn, bloated and badly done memory system, stupid reputation system, teens skipping school and getting scolded whether that fits their character or not, no way to control vampires or animals, buggy Simport even though they have locked content away unless you use it...in short, too many things that take control away from the player. I could go on and on.

Different is fine, I am not opposed to different, but this IS supposed to be a simulation game. Where is the appeal to many different kinds of players? If people are asking for Sims 2 stuff, maybe it's because that game offered something to them that they're not getting from TS3? And no that does NOT mean they should have to go back and play TS2. It means they should be getting a better TS3 game, a game that is just as fun to play, with all the updates that we all love like the open world and graphics.

If this game were as awesome as it COULD be, I would bet that you would see far fewer requests for TS2 gameplay. I doubt if all of them would go away, but they fact that there are so many should be telling EA something about their game.




Profile
Allspice1232


Joined: 01/30/11 10:00 PM
Messages: 2845

HappySimmer3 wrote:If people are asking for Sims 2 stuff, maybe it's because that game offered something to them that they're not getting from TS3? And no that does NOT mean they should have to go back and play TS2. It means they should be getting a better TS3 game, a game that is just as fun to play, with all the updates that we all love like the open world and graphics.

If this game were as awesome as it COULD be, I would bet that you would see far fewer requests for TS2 gameplay. I doubt if all of them would go away, but they fact that there are so many should be telling EA something about their game.


It could also very well be they like TS2 better and wouldn't like TS3 regardless.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I like TS3 better. Others like TS2. And there isn't anything wrong with that.
Profile
HappySimmer3


Joined: 11/10/09 09:40 PM
Messages: 3609
Location:Just left of center...

Or maybe they're like me, and they DO like TS3 better than TS2, but they just don't like the lack of detail, repetitive gameplay, or the fact that there are fewer opportunities to use one's creativity and imagination.


Profile
Allspice1232


Joined: 01/30/11 10:00 PM
Messages: 2845

HappySimmer3 wrote:Or maybe they're like me, and they DO like TS3 better than TS2, but they just don't like the lack of detail, repetitive gameplay, or the fact that there are fewer opportunities to use one's creativity and imagination.


If you say so.
Profile
DulceHoney


Joined: 02/07/11 06:01 PM
Messages: 425
Offline

I think... some people definitely don't act their ages on this forum. lol.

Some surely do, aka the 13 year olds. But uhh yeaaa... I'm going to leave that one there. Take it however you'd like I truly couldN'T care less. I stress the "Couldn't" because too many people on this forum truly don't know how to spell that over-used phrase.

Happy Simming!
Profile
Jarsie9


Joined: 05/17/09 12:34 AM
Messages: 10231
Online

HappySimmer3 wrote:Or maybe they're like me, and they DO like TS3 better than TS2, but they just don't like the lack of detail, repetitive gameplay, or the fact that there are fewer opportunities to use one's creativity and imagination.


On the other hand, to balance that out, I can clearly remember seeing plenty of posts on the Sims 2 BBS, back when that was the only game in town, where players complained of repetitive gameplay, and being bored because "I've done all there is to do in this game". In fact, if we could compare the two forums side by side, you'd probably be amazed and how similar they are insofar as topics are concerned. Same EA bashing,although not nearly as much because those SimMasters were *tough*...and were accused of censorship and being dictators by the fans...same complaints about the lack of gameplay or why can't Sims do this, or that, or the other? And many of those interactions that fans wanted were included in this iteration of The Sims.

The fans are unhappy, and EA brought it upon themselves by stupidly making the Sims 3 a prequel instead of a sequel, and not putting the babies in pajamas instead of blankets. They also chose to focus solely on one age group while giving the other age groups short shrift. That having been said though, that still brings us back to the title of this thread...which is that SimGurus are not obligated to interact with the fans, and in fact, are probably limited by Corporate policies that govern employee behavior.

I *know* that there are those here who would love to see a SimGuru make a damaging statement against EA, and would gleefully trumpet it in endless threads on this forum, but that's not going to happen. The SimGuru, when all is said and done, earns his or her living by working for EA, and if there's one thing that people quickly learn when they start working for any corporate or government entity: No matter *what* your personal feelings are, you never, ever, bite the hand that feeds you or you may find yourself out on the street before you can say: "Challenge Everything."


I Am No Longer Accepting Friend Requests. All Friend Requests Will Be Declined.
Profile
TtnFn04


Joined: 05/31/09 12:54 AM
Messages: 1692
Location:Far away from a certain nasty forum infested with trolls & homophobes

Jarsie9 wrote:Okay, Anavastia, what part of "Talk to the Hand" did you not understand?


haha, I felt like saying that to a certain simmer the other day who gave me a short lecture.

(I've nothing against Anavastia, btw).


Pls don't friend me. I'm out of the S3 comm. Sorry.











Profile
TtnFn04


Joined: 05/31/09 12:54 AM
Messages: 1692
Location:Far away from a certain nasty forum infested with trolls & homophobes

DulceHoney wrote:I think... some people definitely don't act their ages on this forum. lol.


I'm one of them.


Pls don't friend me. I'm out of the S3 comm. Sorry.











Profile
Anavastia


Joined: 06/20/09 05:02 PM
Messages: 4460
Location:Help make sims a better game!
Online

Jarsie9 wrote:Okay, Anavastia, what part of "Talk to the Hand" did you not understand?

Or are you truly so in love with your own writing that you can't resist writing volumes of prose trying to put me in my place? I am as entitled to post my opinion here as you are, and will not apologize for it. Yes, I broke down and bought Showtime, but what do you NOT see me doing here, Anavastia? I'll tell you what: Making endless posts and topics about how EA sucks, the Sims 3 is a terrible game, and the Sims 2 is the template that EA's development team should have followed, that's what. So you can call me a hypocrite all you want, but I'm hardly playing the victim here!

IF I were seriously feeling victimized by you and those who agree with you, do you think I'd come back to this discussion? Don't give me that crap about there are plenty of posts out there that I can flame so stay out of this one and stop bullying people.

People are only bullied because they allow it to happen. Again, if people are intimidated by my writing style and they're so insecure that they can't stand by their own opinion....like the poster in this forum who posted an opinion and then went back and edited it out because people started disagreeing with them...I do not claim responsibility for that. Now, I know that you will probably respond to this reply with another long and pontificating lecture where you repeat yourself endlessly making the same points over and over and over again, while pointing out to people how mean I am and what a bully I am. But I guarantee you that, unlike *some* people who go around making rude posts (no, not you!) and then go around whining that people are picking on them....I don't really care how many people "pick on me" or put my posts in some silly blog.

I just don't.

So, once again... I am a registered user of this website, I can post wherever I dam.n well please, and those of you who see my name are perfectly free to skip my posts...or not. That's on you.

And, once again, Anavastia....Talk To The Hand.


You don't care but you managed to type to me a long winded way of saying talk to the hand. Follow your own advice Jarsie. Like i said you're quite the bully it's no way around it and that whole people are only bullied because they allow it to happen is just the response someone like you would make. By the way search my name and find a thread that I've started that says sims 2 is better than sims 3, I comment in them but last i checked my thread I made said I didn't want sims 2 incorporated to sim 4. Oh wait i forget you don't read. Not that anything any one says get's through to you anyway i have a feeling you'll be trolling these forums for a long time to come. Don't give me advice you sure as heck don't intend to follow as I said just like you're free to post whatever you want so are the fans of this forum. Don't like follow your own thought process hit that back button and find something else to read.

Lol and laughed at that comback its as played out as you are. Then that's expected from someone who cant own up to her own words now isn't it. But im done talking to you, it's not like you so called care what I say is it, (though you keep responding lol). Looks to me Jarsie you're more butt hurt about what other people think than you realize. Why else would someone like you who proffesses to not care make it their goal to come charging in these threads like a raging bull and attacking all you think won't defend themselves against you. Right like it doesn't affect you i'll believe that when pigs fly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/09/12 08:36 AM


Profile
Anavastia


Joined: 06/20/09 05:02 PM
Messages: 4460
Location:Help make sims a better game!
Online

TtnFn04 wrote:
Jarsie9 wrote:Okay, Anavastia, what part of "Talk to the Hand" did you not understand?


haha, I felt like saying that to a certain simmer the other day who gave me a short lecture.

(I've nothing against Anavastia, btw).


Don't worry TTnFn04 I'm not offended she just rubs me the wrong way every time i see her posts she makes it her aim to attack everyone she sees and because she gets away with it she just does it even more.

But i am sorry to Skater as i diverted his thread with this petty argument and I'll be ending it here as i find him not to be a whiner or anyone else on this forum. Look if a business had paying customers and all they think of those customers as whiners that business is never going to advance because they'll never respect their customers. EA may look at us like cash cows but they aren't so insulting they don't try to hear us out.

I've been saying that for a long time unlike most who feel they don't give a rats behind. I don't believe that if that's they case you wouldn't see them making the effort at all. Unlike some i don't want to believe the worse in these dev's because it's hard enough. I think they're allowed to talk to use they talk quite often on twitter and facebook, however busy does set in and you can see when it does because all sites get a pattern of quietness. I think they do see what we want, I think they are trying and i think yes there were some mistakes made. I hold a lot of that responsible to the head producer at the time which was Rod Humble who it was his job as a producer to bring out the best in sims and much like he did with simsocieties, he failed again for sims 3 and bailed when crap hit the fan, dumped his luggage on these dev's.

As i said in the end it was EA that decided to go ahead and keep producing the game and as long as there is a feed back section that is exactly what the company will get. Many feel like this section should be all positive and we love you EA, last I check this isn't a fansite it's a company site and that's just not going to happen. We can respect each other and how we feel without dumping on one another. So what if Skater want to voice out that this is what he feels and fears. Let him, hes' not alone in the way he feels it shows that. What i don't understand is how does someone have a problem with someone elses feelings about a game, that's just not your feelings about it why should that affect anyone at all.

As far as I'm concerned as long as this fanbase keeps believing they can change and get the game they want they will invest in sims, because that hope is still there. The day that hope dies in this fanbase is the day EA can no longer cash on this game. So while we play white night shutting down hopes of others, and concerns. You aren't helping this company one bit, EA doesn't need a ton of yes men right now. Without this feed back how will they know why their fans are shutting down those funds and going else where. They won't and it's an end to very loved series. When people feel they cannot say how they feel, or will be tormented by others by it they give up and move on. That's the last thing Sims needs right now. That's the last things these forums need, I dont' think anyone dev wants their customer to feel that way.

She's free to disagree or agree that's fine but forum rules do say she's not allowed to go flaming and insulting on players yet because this forum is undermoderated she does it anyway. It's enough to make anyone fed up with it. Because it won't be long when the same liked minded people who instead of responding to the topic come in rag on the posters. What example does this set to kids, or new comers or anyone to this forum. That in honesty they're free to do whatever they want with no consequences.

I hope skater does post that to a dev and gets to talk to one. They don't ignore him, and at the very least he doesn't listen to a word jarsie says because he should believe one thing if anything we are the fans. We're just as apart of sims as these dev's are. Without us there is no sims and that's a fact. If we want a better game then you can't get that sittind down twiddling your fingers. The least we can do is ask and discuss it.

Profile
reecehammond


Joined: 10/14/10 05:57 AM
Messages: 649
Location:Plesantview, NSW, Australia
Offline

LOL

Hey everyone
I Have been a simmer for about 7 year now (i'm 15 and i started when i was 8.) i <3 the sims so much, add or gift me i won't bite x
Profile
Anavastia


Joined: 06/20/09 05:02 PM
Messages: 4460
Location:Help make sims a better game!
Online

HappySimmer3 wrote:Or maybe they're like me, and they DO like TS3 better than TS2, but they just don't like the lack of detail, repetitive gameplay, or the fact that there are fewer opportunities to use one's creativity and imagination.


Happy there are players who feel this way we like sims 3 and we have mixed emotions about the game. Some of us lurk in these forums, some of us have been voicing out for a long time. Some of us are just now doing that, but for whatever reason if we hated sims 3 we wouldn't be hear trying. Lol Pets was the first expansion in a long time that i felt hey this is solid, so I think these dev's are on the right track here. Showtime too though i know a lot didn't like simport and I understand that i really do. As i had my concerns too, but they did a fairly good job of answering and addressing a lot of those concerns. It's a big change and a difference in sims and change takes time and is not so openly embraced. However simport aside breaking down the careers again a pretty solid expansion and its kept me busy im glad to see that. Now that's not to say that i don't think things can improve and i think everyone has their little tif of what they would like to see and what they hope for. That's what feed back is about, so they know what to put in for future reference or maybe what not to do.

However feedback isn't limited to negative or positive sometimes like the op we may have fears that need to be addressed. Or we may have wishes or questions etc. So, again these feelings are always interpreted on these forums as negative and i seriously don't know why, they are what they are. No wrong way to be scared or worried, no wrong way to have a wish or question. It's not wrong to ask for seasons, ask for magic, or whatever. As i said people look at the negative but never do they think well maybe the dev's see the positive of it, people really liked seasons we did a good job didn't we. (Lol though i do wish seasons people would post more in their threads than we want seasons, helps to know what you want from seasons). If players don't spend money, or don't play, EA needs to know all of that and they need to know why.

Profile
SimGuruSemedi


Joined: 05/26/10 12:18 AM
Messages: 405
Location:EA Headquarters
Offline

Hey everyone,

Some interesting posts in this thread... I thought I'd jump in and give my own personal perspective on a few things, although I can't respond to everything for what I hope are obvious reasons. The other challenging thing to address is that people always want answers about why certain things are the way they are, and there's no all encompassing answer I can give you; for every compliment or complaint you can levy at the game, there's a unique reason why each aspect of it is the way it is.

First off, people shouldn't think of the Ideas & Feedback section as some corner of our forum that never gets read. It's one of my favorite places to check, the name alone is indicative of exactly the type of posts I find helpful to read around here. Just to give people a general idea of what I personally do, I browse through the forums at least once a day. I like to read this board, the board of the most recently announced product to see people's reactions (aka Sweet Treats), and the board of the most recently released product to see what parts of it people enjoy or what they're struggling with(aka Showtime). On a less frequent basis I also check out the General board, the Technical Discussion board, and the boards that focus on player creations.

That being said, I don't post here too often. It isn't that I want to avoid chatting with Sims fans as that couldn't be further from the truth; it just isn't practical a lot of the time. As some in here have pointed out, I (along with other gurus) enjoy using Twitter to chat with fans. Ultimately, it's just much easier for me to see a tweet notification pop up with a quick comment, and immediately write a short reply to it. Those tweets can be anything from chatting about the game, trying to help someone who is having trouble, talking about upcoming Sims stuff, or just discussing various aspects of game design and development. Alternatively, it's a much larger time commitment to come and post on the forums. Coming hear means looking at the different boards, sifting through the various topics, determining what's new and what I've read before... and then if I want to respond it means writing a somewhat substantial post; and making the commitment to respond to the inevitable ten additional questions that will get posted in response to what I say. Then people wonder why I respond to some posts and not others, or misinterpret what I say, and it can all get to be a bit much All of that eats into my time, and I don't get a break from my development responsibilities to come post on here. What I've come to learn is I can't do everyone's job, but when you're a more public figure for the game people will throw every manner of topic at you and expect you to respond. For example, when people have a problem with the game... I'd love to help, but I just don't have that level of understanding of the game. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what might be going wrong in the code - but I can recognize a problem and bring it to others attention to make sure it gets addressed.

I find it difficult to respond when people say that we don't listen to the fans. When we talk about the "fans" and "community", a lot of the time that's in direct reference to the people who frequently post on these forums; you're our most vocal subset of fans. In reality though the forums are a fraction of our overall fan base, and we have to take everyone into account when we develop products and respond to consumers. Even within these forums there may be a majority consensus, but that doesn't mean it's what everyone wants for the franchise. You can look at our most popular expansions - Pets is always a theme that tons of people want - and you'll find those who have absolutely no interest in adding that to their Sims games. Quite frankly I think that's perfectly alright. The Sims encompasses a ton of diverse themes, and each one will appeal to people in different ways. When we announced a pack like Pets, nobody says... "oh, they're listening to what the fans what", they say "oh well that was their plan all along". The truth lies somewhere in the middle. There are a lot of different things that impact the decision of what to make and when to make it, far too many to go into detail within this post, but everything is done for a reason; we don't haphazardly decide on things. Over the course of Sims 3, we knew there were some things we wanted to do like Pets... other expansions were more of a direct response to player feedback. We knew Pets was a theme that everyone wanted, yet it ended up being the 5th expansion, and people say... why did we have to wait so long? To be honest, it would have been impossible to do Pets as the first expansion, it had significant technical hurdles to overcome for that expansion to exist. And that's just an example of one expansion; each one we release has its own challenges or oddities that made it make sense to release when it did. Look at Generations... it was made directly in response to a lot of what the community was asking for with more social interactions, more emphasis on families, more content across all age ranges, etc. That one was a challenge for our marketing team, but we were really happy to get to do that theme for our fans. Look at the most recent release of Showtime, it's packed with a lot of fun interactive objects that fans have been asking for for a long time. Elements of fan requests show up in every single game that we release. Anavastia mentioned how you haven't seen many new rabbitholes lately. She's right, that's a direct response to fan feedback, and I do hope we'll have the chance to open up more of them. We have to walk a fine line sometimes though. A lot of people here really love Sims 2 (and that's awesome if you do!), but we're not trying to release the exact same game with Sims 3. We incorporate elements from the past, but we'll continue to evolve and refine them, and hopefully add fun new aspects to them in the process. We'll do familiar themes like Pets, and brand new things that you've never played in The Sims before like World Adventures.

In response to those who want changes to already released expansions, and to have more changed based on your feedback... well, it's something I'm pushing for. I have my own list of things that I take directly from these forums, and when we have small gaps in our schedule or a little extra time, I try and get some of those things in there. It's an ongoing process and it won't happen all at once, but over time I hope you'll see more things get addressed. Things on my list range all the way from adding new options to opt out of the celebrity system, to something as mundane as tweaking the ice cream truck so it doesn't show up at 3am. We don't go out and talk about this sort of stuff commonly, because as soon as we say something about it there's an implied expectation that we will change it, and I can't promise you that. Sk8rblaze you mentioned Vampires previously... it's another thing that's on my list, but I honestly can't tell you what will happen with it. It's something that we technically can change, but I don't know when we'll have the chance to change it, and that's why you don't specifically hear about it. It's the same reason we don't talk about patches in advance; game development in the Sims Studio is a very fast paced and fluid environment. Plans can and will change, and we don't like to discuss things until we're 100% sure we're going to deliver on it; you'd be amazed at some of the last minute emergencies that can disrupt the best plans at times I can assure you that myself and others are paying attention though and do what we can to improve the game while creating great new content as well.

It's also difficult because people have the expectation that something should be a simple change or an easy fix, and that often isn't true or we would have done it. The mod community can skew these perceptions as well... people think, well if a modder can do it, why can't EA? Ultimately, someone creating a mod doesn't have the same responsibility that we do when it comes to implementing and testing changes, and doesn't have to deal with scheduling, budgeting, and the wide variety of people's work that is impacted by any change we decide to make. That's not an excuse, but it is a reality of what we do. In a perfect world, I'd love if people felt they only needed to get mods to add content to their game, and not need to get mods that changed aspects of the game we created that they don't like. It's something I think about often when we're implementing new designs (what can we do to provide players options where they feel they don't need to go get a mod to change it).

It's always interesting to me when people say that we don't care, or that we're only out to get your money. I really have to thank SimGuruShannon, because she was one of the first to step up and get more actively involved in reaching out to the community directly, and that came from a desire to open more communication with fans like the Sims team has had in the past. It sparked my interest in it as well, and I love interacting with the community. Personally I love to see our games sell well because I'm proud of the products we put out - there are a lot of talented people on the team who go above and beyond with personal effort to do amazing things. I think many devs who are used to traditional game development would find it very challenging to put out the amount of content we do at the pace we do to keep up with continued demand for more things from awesome fans like all of you. As Jarsie so aptly pointed out, there's nowhere in my job description that says I need to interact with the community or post on the forums; it's my own personal choice to get involved (along with the other gurus you see on the forums and twitter) because it's something we enjoy. I wouldn't be reading these forums and writing a long post on a Sunday if I didn't have an interest in what I do that goes beyond my paycheck. I make games because it's something I'm passionate about, and I want to make games that people are thrilled with - and that's a sentiment shared by many members of the team.

I know this post is long, but hopefully it didn't ramble too much. What I really enjoy is being able to have conversations with Sims fans, and openly discuss some of the things that are interesting to you all... not just as a company rep with an official response, but as people who enjoy the Sims and want to know more about what goes into it. At Gamescom this past year I had the great chance to just converse with some Sims fans at a party, and it was really nice just having a frank discussion about the game. I like that about twitter as well, where we can be a bit more casual. So please... come talk to me on there, I respond all the time. You'll see me on the forums as well, just less frequently. And I can't prove it to you, but I promise myself and many others on the team are reading your posts here as well

One final note; I'm totally welcoming of constructive criticism. It's an opportunity for us to learn as developers and make better products before we release them, as well as improve the games that have already come out. As players of our game, I feel like all of you have every right to voice your opinions of the game. Thank you to those of you who take the time to write posts that go beyond saying you do or don't like something, but also explain why you feel that way.


-Graham

Sims Producer Graham Nardone - Follow me on Twitter @SimGuruGraham
Profile
Evil_One


Joined: 06/05/09 11:28 AM
Messages: 3434
Location:Inside your head

I don't think I've ever seen someone write so much and say so little.


T25lIHdyaXRlciBkb3duLCBvbmx5IHR3byB0byBnbyBhbmQgd2U
gV0lMTCBmaW5kIHlvdS4=
Profile
 
Post Reply Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: