Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Who is Katy Perry?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
crystal91390

OT

I personally think that artists should let their music do the work and if they need some type of gimmick (meat dresses, tacky candy dresses, etc.) to get attention then In my opinion they're not THAT good. It's kind of sad when music takes a back seat and all people want to know is what kind of crazy 'dress' they're wearing or how appalling they look in it etc.

Being a part of this generation, it saddens me that when I look back years from now I honestly don't feel proud of it when all we have to show for it is Jersey Shore, Pop artists who's known more for what they wear rather than their music and dubstep (although dubstep is a bit cool >_< ).

slynnski

Location:On the Titanic, in a fancy dress, sipping tea in the 1st class lounge.

crystal91390 wrote:OT

I personally think that artists should let their music do the work and if they need some type of gimmick (meat dresses, tacky candy dresses, etc.) to get attention then In my opinion they're not THAT good. It's kind of sad when music takes a back seat and all people want to know is what kind of crazy 'dress' they're wearing or how appalling they look in it etc.

Being a part of this generation, it saddens me that when I look back years from now I honestly don't feel proud of it when all we have to show for it is Jersey Shore, Pop artists who's known more for what they wear rather than their music and dubstep (although dubstep is a bit cool >_< ).

I respect your opinion and agree with it in some ways, however celebs/musicians dressing in crazy and outlandish things to get attention is nothing new. Take for example The Spice Girls, Kiss, Madonna, Cher, even Michael Jackson wore and did some crazy things. It's all part of performing, and while I don't think it's a mark of an untalented or 'bad' singer/artist, it can definitely be a cover-up for some singers/artists whose work isn't that great.

Participate in my contest!
Vermatrix

I neither know nor care who she is and squeezing her way into an expansion and a stuff pack just tells me that she is just some loser that desperately needs attention. As far as her being a pop singer, she has what? enough songs to fill a singles cd at Wal-Mart? I give her another year before she ends up pushing cheap products on infomercials like all the other washed up has beens

MrHawk

heidi11576 wrote:
MrHawk wrote:
Yes it linked to the exchange download but I'd say that is definitely considered "included"

yes - for everyone

True. But then again, so was the rest of my point

kCP39

Not true, celebrities have been doing crazy things since the dawn of "celebrity". When people talk it makes publicity, and like the old Hollywood phrases "There's no such thing as bad publicity", or "There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about". And the who generation thing, this one has so much to show for. Stop looking at the little things, and see the whole picture.
Mashimar0

crystal91390 wrote:Being a part of this generation, it saddens me that when I look back years from now I honestly don't feel proud of it when all we have to show for it is Jersey Shore, Pop artists who's known more for what they wear rather than their music and dubstep (although dubstep is a bit cool >_< ).

you forgot paris hilton and kim kardashian.

stormwench

Mashimar0 wrote:
crystal91390 wrote:Being a part of this generation, it saddens me that when I look back years from now I honestly don't feel proud of it when all we have to show for it is Jersey Shore, Pop artists who's known more for what they wear rather than their music and dubstep (although dubstep is a bit cool >_< ).

you forgot paris hilton and kim kardashian.

I think every generation gets a chance to look back at something and wonder why they were so taken up in fads that, at the time, we thought would change the world, and realize how ridiculous it was compared to the things that did make a difference.

Things come along that we think will change the world and 5 years later we look back and laugh at pictures of ourselves and can't believe we wore those clothes or did those things and so on.

There are musical superstars that have changed the world and had the longevity of decades but for each one of them there are 100's that tried to do the same and were a flash in the pan. "Super star" is used to easy but publicist in this day an age, to my mind. A super star is someone like Micheal Jackson, Elvis Presley, who decades after they first became stars, still were, and their music lives on and their impact on music changed the world. Top of the charts for a couple of years does not come close to what some singers have done. So when someone says "Super Star" for someone with a couple years on top I compare them to those real super stars and often find them lacking. I don't think inspiring people to dress in 'show' costumes and furnishing with stage props is something that will last too long in this world.

khynnea

kCP39 wrote:

Not true, celebrities have been doing crazy things since the dawn of "celebrity". When people talk it makes publicity, and like the old Hollywood phrases "There's no such thing as bad publicity", or "There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about". And the who generation thing, this one has so much to show for. Stop looking at the little things, and see the whole picture.

Thank you, kCP39.

When I read crystal91390's post, the first thing that immediately sprang to mind was "Oh my gosh who is that Beethoven weirdo and what the heck is wrong with his hair!"

By the time my mind cleared, after reading your and Stormwench's posts, I can sit here and think "Oh yeah... Philosophy of Art... that class where the teacher stood up in front of some 28 college students who thought they knew everything because it was a third year philosophy class, and proceeded to play the Ninth and then talk about how it wasn't art. Or was it?"

All this talk about whether or not something is art is truly irrelevant. Everyone gets their own opinion, and some things that are perceived as art today won't be in <insert your timeframe here>. Conversely, some things that are not perceived as art today will be in <insert your timeframe here>. That's the great thing about art.

Going back on topic in some way would be
* a lot of people think it's a waste of EA's time and money to invest in "celebrity" cobranding for a variety of reasons (indifferent to the art of it)
* a lot of people find the content introduced by this SP controversial due to the questionable nature of the sexuality of the items (age appropriateness vs. well... uh not having this discussion on a Teen rated forum)
* a lot of people find the price point of the product questionable given the nature of how "new" or not some of the "new" content is
* a lot of people find the price point of the product questionable given how *many* items are advertised in the "super" stuff pack
* a lot of people find the price point questionable given the omission of key pieces of content that would have given this SP a broader utility to their gaming experience

I could go on.

The point is, there is no point in arguing about what is or isn't art.

Furthermore, people are perfectly entitled to express an opinion about art without it needing to result in an argument about my art is better than yours. That's... a waste of internets.

This footer out of date. La la la.
Allspice1232

Since this thread is about who Katy Perry is, I figured it would be ok to share this video. It's from when she was around 16, before she hit it big, before she had the stage name of Katy Perry (her real name is Katy Hudson...I think we can all guess why she decided to use a stage name. Hint: the same reason David Bowie did.) and she had only one album to her credit. It was a self titled Christan album that she wrote mostly by herself, and it's actually pretty good.

I'm rather impressed by her guitar playing in the video, she obviously has talent and showed it from a fairly young age.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 05/01/12 08:26 AM

turistas9

she big here in Canada .. seeing as the top 5 singles she had off one album made it that way. she can sing pretty good, and her songs are fun to listen too. it not so ..depressing music like adele.. i know she "the best" we got right now, but whoever can listen to that all day.. has serious issues..
and stop calling katy perry names.. you don't prove nothing.

Only1whtrbbt

slynnski wrote:
brittanyleah wrote:
Only1whtrbbt wrote:She's the woman that married my future husband before me. And broke his heart. For this, she shall pay.....

by me not buying this poor excuse for a Stuff Pack.

She didn't break his heart. He cheated on her.
He's so ugly anyways. She can do much better

This. I was under the impression that he screwed her over, not the other way around.

Besides, he's a pig anyways. I about gagged when I saw that she married him.

WinterClouds wrote:I think Russel Brand (or however you spell it) broke her heart. She was the one who was affected the most by their break-up. In my opinion, it seemed like he didn't even care. Like she was just a publicity thing for him.

Oh you teeny-boppers and your blind following of celebrities. You should read his second book for some insight on just how madly in love with her he was/is. The man is actually quite the gentleman... once you get past the philandering and drug-addled past, of course. But your past is what shapes you as an individual and he has come out the other side of it a different person, with an amazing outloook on life.

Long story short, I believe he was more into her than she was into him judging by things I've read from both parties (as I like to get all sides of the story before making a call) but I still won't be buying this waste of plastic that is being marketed as a "Stuff Pack".
Australorp

kobit555 wrote:YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS KATY PERRY ?!

xxxlucexxx wrote:Wow! You're joking right?

Not everyone listens to pop all the time. I don't think I would have known who she was if I hadn't been flicking through channels to find her "California Gurls" video playing.

To the OP: Katy Perry is a pop singer who also happens to be endorsing Sims 3, and has a whole stuff pack themed around giant cupcakes and sweets. If I ever bother with this SP, expect to see numerous fat sims from me.

nikkitina

Seeing as everyone seems to be putting in their two cents, I'm going to do the same. I think that NO celebrity should get their own SP or EP, no matter who they are. I would even be annoyed if it was someone I admired, liked or followed. I do not think that it is necessary, and worth it.

Also I don't know why everyone started comparing Katy Perry and Lady Gaga, and who each of them has copied. IMO, they have copied no one, they may of gotten inspiration from them. It is nearly impossible to find an idea out there that does not resemble something already in the world, or something that has been around for a long time. And if you manage to find a new idea, I'm pretty sure someone out there can think of something that it reminds them of.

And now I'm done.

Allspice1232

Only1whtrbbt wrote:Oh you teeny-boppers and your blind following of celebrities. You should read his second book for some insight on just how madly in love with her he was/is. The man is actually quite the gentleman... once you get past the philandering and drug-addled past, of course. But your past is what shapes you as an individual and he has come out the other side of it a different person, with an amazing outloook on life.

His actions after the divorce certainly don't support that. They were both very low key about it, but he was the one meeting girls in hotel rooms within a couple months of their divorce. He is a self proclaimed sex addict, I don't believe for a second he was faithful to her.
stormwench

Allspice1232 wrote:
Only1whtrbbt wrote:Oh you teeny-boppers and your blind following of celebrities. You should read his second book for some insight on just how madly in love with her he was/is. The man is actually quite the gentleman... once you get past the philandering and drug-addled past, of course. But your past is what shapes you as an individual and he has come out the other side of it a different person, with an amazing outloook on life.

His actions after the divorce certainly don't support that. They were both very low key about it, but he was the one meeting girls in hotel rooms within a couple months of their divorce. He is a self proclaimed sex addict, I don't believe for a second he was faithful to her.

Once you break up, there is no hard and fast rule about when you see people again. Its not odd that rebound actions send one or both parties to be with other people even if its a very short time. Actions after the fact really don't reflect on the whole relationship, it reflects on how they are handling the breakup and often people don't handle it well or have really poor ways of dealing with it.

Let's face it, if one of a couple is a 'big star' fans are going to 100% behind them no matter what and everyone who is not is not treating them fairly. She could have run him over by a bulldozer and had him dumped off a cliff and her fans would still be saying he did her badly.

I am sure that KP does not consider herself 'defined' by him or that relationship so I am surprised when her fans bring this subject up when people ask who KP is. She may not be defined by him but stars tend to like these sort of relationships because love and breakups make for news. Often that is why one side ends up more into it then the other.

Either way, in the world of TS3, it really does not matter unless the one male outfit was inspired by him. What does matter is that EA thinks that she is worth $10's more for any sims game they put her name on. No one is that important in my game. I might pay more for shoes that an athlete really wears to play a game; wear makeup that is really used recommended by a professional; use hair care products created and endorsed by a renown stylist but what a singer is doing endorsing the game I play I have no idea. Because that is what she is a singer not a professional sims player. There is no reason that my game needs any performer slapping their name and endorsement fee on it to get me to buy it.

Post Reply Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
Go to: