Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
The social groups are limiting our creativity  XML
Forum Index » University Life
maxverra1997

I think 3 is enough you could add over 50 different types of social groups, but these are the most important 3

Tlilad

I understand what you guys are saying about the social groups, they don't define your sims and that if you don't like them ignore them.

However I share the belief that having those groups is too sterotypical. And if I'm allowed to go further they only exist in certain societies. I am in university already finished school, and not once in all my 12 years of school did we have groups or chlichés were only certain kind of people could be friends. We al talked to each other in the classes (some more some less) and if we didn't like them we ignored them. There weren't nerds or jocks or hippies or whatever. I didn't even know what the word jock was.

So while I agree that having groups is easier in some points of views, and that the bonus of the groups do make sense. The fact that there are groups makes me feel uncomfortable.
br00kie1

i guess i'll wait till UL is out before deciding how i feel about the groups. although in the uk, (and i can speak from some of europe also), we don't really have a term like 'jocks' for girls..

Personally, don't really mind the idea, but if these groups continue into adult life back home after univeristy, i might dislike it. _ Imagine seeing lots of sims walking round the park with little 'jock', 'nerd' icons coming up over granpa and grandmas .

Really liked the teen stuff pack in sims 2 wherre they had all that clothing, that was 'socalite', 'goth' and surfer (or hipster or something like that) though so if you can alter and edit like that then it'll be fun.

If sims were realistic those social groups would be in school and not so much in university. but it's probably just a bit of fun.
CK213

br00kie1 wrote:
Personally, don't really mind the idea, but if these groups continue into adult life back home after univeristy, i might dislike it. _ Imagine seeing lots of sims walking round the park with little 'jock', 'nerd' icons coming up over granpa and grandmas .

That's what I'm afraid of.
Sim features tend to be global and annoying instead of niche and compartmentalized. I really don't want to see it outside university.

trinaboo0

I'm not really too excited over the social groups either. The sims I usually make are girls... girly, prissy, bubbly, high heel wearing girls. I just wish there had been a group that just catered to the "party-going, cute and well dressed popular kids"... a girly girl really doesn't fit into any of the EA social groups.

And I don't like the nerds. Maybe they should have been preps/brains, but the way they've done the nerds just seems so clumsy, dorky, and 'Screech from Saved By The Bell', lol... I would have liked if they were just the more serious, go-getter type of mature students. Where'd they'd hang in the library, not the comic book store; I don't like the dorky-type nerd stereotype...

The jocks are cool, but does seem a little masculine. I don't want competitive sims that hang out at bowling alleys, I'd have liked to see jocks hang out at a gym or something.

You need a water break? Water is for cowards, water makes you weak, water is for washing blood off that uniform, and you don't get blood on my uniform. Boy you must be outside your mind!! - Herman Boone
Jayson422

My wish was that there was 5 social groups; Jock, Nerd, Rebel, Prep, and Socialite.

Jock - The sporty sim. Hangs out at the gym.
Nerd - The inpopular geeky sim. Hangs out at the comic shop.
Rebel - The outsider sim. Hangs out at the Coffee shop.
Prep - The flirty sim. Hangs out at the Library.
Socialite - The popular sim. Hangs out at the Bowl-A-Rama.

Hoping Twallan reads this

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/04/13 10:01 PM

Go here to read my blogs! Enjoy!
3fansforever

Well heck im a mixture of all three :O

so is my sim.
wonder what that will be like.

I think three is just enough.

I agree they are stereotypical but they cant go outside the box too much.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/04/13 11:00 PM

cmaine829

Well heck im a mixture of all three

I couldn't agree with you more, I rarely come across someone who is pigeonholed into one particular group. To promote this all inclusive college, but then have social groups i.e. cliques, the contradiction is overwhelming.
yoshi_dragur2012

Zerbu wrote:I liked the idea of social groups, but I didn't like how they were pre-defined as nerds, jocks and rebels and not customizable. They're just too stereotypical and limiting. I decided it wouldn't be too bad since I could always put sims in multiple groups. I would have liked the idea of allowing sims to lean more towards one group than another, but I guess we can't have everything perfect (or maybe there is that feature, I just haven't heard about it yet).

I wasn't really all that bothered until I read the newest blog (http://www.thesims3.com/community/blog.html?blogid=478415)
They don't have to be--especially if you're playing with Twallan's SP and awesome new caste system feature

But if you're going to be playing the vanilla SP, they really shouldn't be a problem. Especially since EA's SP is likely to end up killing off your Uni YA population after the first semester.

But seriously though, Twallan's new SP is really the way to go in fixing this limiation TBH. You should seriously consider checking out the Nraas site if you haven't already.
yoshi_dragur2012

Jayson422 wrote:My wish was that there was 5 social groups; Jock, Nerd, Rebel, Prep, and Socialite.

Jock - The sporty sim. Hangs out at the gym.
Nerd - The inpopular geeky sim. Hangs out at the comic shop.
Rebel - The outsider sim. Hangs out at the Coffee shop.
Prep - The flirty sim. Hangs out at the Library.
Socialite - The popular sim. Hangs out at the Bowl-A-Rama.

Hoping Twallan reads this
Is it safe to assume you're a R* fan boy as well? I also looks like he was ahead of the power curve on this one with the new social caste system in SP.

I was also inspired to create these Bully cliques in SV with Twallan's new caste system. So far, I've successfully created sims with traits for all these groups except the Preppies.

I'm trying to figure out what traits would work best with this caste--besides their hereditary requirement of being from the old money familes in my town. The Uni Preppie clique will consist of all sims directly descended from the Altos, Goths, Landgraabs, my legacy sim family, and all townies married into my legacy family and these blue blooded sim familes. Also the majority of these sims will belong to the Secret Society as well.

But trying to find relevant stereotypical traits for the Preppie clique (which will have obvious traits like the snob trait) is somewhat challenging. But thankfully, Twallan's set up the new caste system to be very versatille. It allows for quite a bit of diversity in each caste.

I've also set up and testing some SN factions. These are 2 Vamp covens--a Twilight coven type and an Underworld/Anne Rice coven type, a werewolf den, a Fae faction, and a witches coven. All the Twilight vamps have the vegetarian trait. All the other vamps are traditional blood legacy vamps. I also set these vamp castes so that the vegan and non vegan vamps really dislike each other. Also the fact all the vamps typically hang out at the cemetary and LN vamp lounge, is already making for some interesting undeworld drama in SV. And of course both vamp factions absolutely adore the werewolf faction---with all the warm, fuzzy feeling they get from finding wolf hair in their plasma chowder.

And exactly how much do these 2 SN factions hate each other? Well Twallan's SP recruits sims with traits to support the SP personality scenarios. So every other day or so, sims from these groups get randomly recruited for an SP personality scenario. I also I re-enabled the dying rate in SV and rate at which sims will go to the hospital from sustaining injuires in these personality scenarios.

And ever since doing this, every other day the SP has been running apocalyptic gang war scenarios between these factions. Members of my townie vamp and werewolf castes have been regularly ending up in the hospital, or established a new residence some six feet under at the cemetary, or are now hanging out as zombies with the bears in the catacombs deep beneath the town crypt.

So far, only the witches and fae get along pretty well with all the other SNs and muggles.

But the jocks faction have regularly sending the Nerds to the hospital. Surprsingly, the SP hasn't decided to kill off any of the Nerds yet. The socialites typically end up being Town Harpies, Town Cassanova groupies, and/or Town Tart personality types.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 02/05/13 02:08 AM

yoshi_dragur2012

adding: And yeah, all my SN factions are sworn to secrecy by the Ministry of Magic. So I've made it a mini game to sometimes randomly kill off an SN sim who SP reported used their magic on--or in the presence of--muggles. Just to keep things intresting

So the possibilities of what you can do with the new Uni groups can be endless if you use mods like Twallans

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/13 02:09 AM

Zerbu

Cyron43 wrote:
Zerbu wrote:I liked the idea of social groups, but I didn't like how they were pre-defined as nerds, jocks and rebels and not customizable.

I can't see how the developers could provide fully customizable social groups as this would even include definitions (coded by the player) for how NPCs have to act as members of such groups.
Add to this fully customizable and new animations, interactions and objects!
Any idea?
If you find a feasible solution to this problem I'd call you "game developer of the decade" from that point in time.

I clearly said I was willing to accept that there were only three social groups, and that my problem was that they defined too much details of the sims' personalities and limited the player's own creativity.

I don't have a solution, but it looks like Twallan does:

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression

The new caste system in the test version is like creating your own social groups.
3fansforever

cmaine829 wrote:
Well heck im a mixture of all three

I couldn't agree with you more, I rarely come across someone who is pigeonholed into one particular group. To promote this all inclusive college, but then have social groups i.e. cliques, the contradiction is overwhelming.

Agreed, Very overwhelming.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 02/05/13 04:41 AM

smaffies

br00kie1 wrote:

That thought makes me laugh a little, but I'm sure if it had that kind of functionality you could turn it off when you don't want it
br00kie1

CK213 wrote:
br00kie1 wrote:

That's what I'm afraid of.
Sim features tend to be global and annoying instead of niche and compartmentalized. I really don't want to see it outside university.

smaffies wrote:
That thought makes me laugh a little, but I'm sure if it had that kind of functionality you could turn it off when you don't want it

That would be my main concern, turning it off if needed ! I'm pretty sure in live chat they said the groups carry on after university...
if you were to choose that fine, but if the group feature became like the celebrity system, ehhh nah! hope they'll say more in the next live chat.

Forum Index » University Life
Go to: