Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Bypassing the Launcher - Tutorial  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
savethetigers7121

This tutorial will teach you how to bypass your launcher and go straight to the game. I think most people do know how, so this is for those that don't know. I rely heavily on screen shots for this tutorial, so it should be easy to follow. I am also using Windows 7 for this tutorial. Most of the steps will work on XP and Vista too. Why would I want to bypass the launcher though, you ask? It saves time, you don't have to wait for the clunky launcher itself to load, which for some (including me) can take almost two or more minutes. Other than that, I guess it's just for simplicity's sake. Now here we go.

Note: Completion of this tutorial will in no way shape or form inhibit you from opening your launcher for any reason.

Step One

Open your computer by either
A) Clicking the Start/Windows button or
B) Clicking the My Computer icon on your desk (more so for XP users)

Step Two

Open your C: drive or which ever drive you installed TS3 to

Step Three

Open Program Files

Step Four

Open Electronic Arts

Step Five

The Sims 3

Step Six

Game

Step Seven

Step Eight

Right Click the TS3 Application

Step Nine

Hover your mouse over Send To >

Step Ten

Hit Desktop (create shortcut)

You're Done!

That creates a shortcut on your desktop, which you're free to move anywhere; eg: a games folder. When you click that shortcut, it's really launching the application that's in the games bin folder. And thus, no clunky launcher to worry about.

Remember: Completion of this tutorial will in no way shape or form inhibit you from opening your launcher for any reason. You can still click on the icon for your latest EP and start the launcher.

I hope this helps y'all out.

simjett

Hey it works Thank you for sharing that

Personally I use the TS3W.exe as the short cut since that's what ends up running anyways.

savethetigers7121

simjett wrote:Hey it works Thank you for sharing that

Personally I use the TS3W.exe as the short cut since that's what ends up running anyways.

Really? I didn't know that. I know that you can use the applications in any of the expansions/stuff packs bin folders, but I never knew what the TS3W did. Whelp, you learn something new every day.

savethetigers7121

Bump

Nik24X7

I use the Custom Launcher from ModTheSims. It rebundles the package files in my Mods/Packages folder and makes the game run a lot faster. So what would be the benefits of running the game your way? Just curious.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 10/25/11 09:31 PM

mvande

I didn't know you could do this. This is sooooo cool. i am about to do.

savethetigers7121

Nik24X7 wrote:I use the Custom Launcer from ModTheSims. It rebundles the package files in my Mods/Packages folder and makes the game run a lot faster. So what would be the benefits of running the game your way? Just curious.

I've never heard of that so I couldn't tell you. I did look it up and it seems cool. I can't think of anything to defend the quick and dirty method I wrote about.

Nik24X7

No problem. I was simply curious. By the way, one could do the same thing with the Sims 2 launcher. That's what I did back in the day.
extremeasaur

...can't do that on a mac!
simsgal2227

Thanks, I just used it because my game wouldn't launch after I clicked play...and now it does. But what about bypassing the launcher for installing updates? It won't load for that, either .

I live a sheltered existence in my mind. What do others see me as? Does anyone else feel lonely with company? I cannot express everything.
Purplefreak3

@savethetigers7121 you should state that you are using a 64bit OS cause 32bit OS does not have the (x86) folder.
Simasaurus09

I always just do this straight from the shortcut..
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Sims3Launcher.exe"
Change the bold into..
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3.exe"
Making it skip the launcher but sometimes i do use the launcher. I also have a package that skips the intro. Forgot where i picked that up though.

loweayana42

I tried to do this, but the game still won't start:// Any other way?
msaprilmae

Are you using mac or pc?
Zachemc2

msaprilmae wrote:Are you using mac or pc?

Mac Method:
Find the executable itself - probably in /(your hard drive)/Applications/The Sims 3.
Right click on it, and select "show package contents".
Open the "contents" directory if it isn't already.
You will see a file named info.plist. Open that by dragging it onto textedit. Don't move it out of that directory! You might want to take a backup first.
Scroll down to the line after this one:
<key>CedegaGameName</key>
Change the last part to read TS3.exe instead of S3Launcher.exe. Be careful not to disturb any of the rest of the file or mess with line endings. It's XML and an extra return shouldn't matter ... but you never know.
Save and quit textedit.

Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: