Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
50+ useful fog emitter effects in pictures  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Virvatuli

As many of you know, fog emitters can add more effects to your world than simply fog! I think effects are neat ways to bringing your world to life, with everything from fog and clouds to insects and birds. For those of you who haven't used fog emitters before, I added a short guide at the bottom.

I used Alexurt1's list of fog emitter effects (from base game, WA and Ambitions) found here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/216905.page#26500

It's a very, very long list. I've picked some of the (permanent) effects that might be useful for world creating.

Clouds, fog, weather, steam and smoke

Fire

Animals

Sparks, lights and glows

Miscellaneous

Ideas:
- Use some fire on top of the wrecked car object.
- Use the chimney smoke to create your own "fake" chimney if you can't stand EA's red brick ones.
- A combination of sparks and glows could create a cool, magical meadow for your fantasy world.
- Fireflies will make your forests pretty at night.
- Put some steam over a few ponds to create hot springs!

Beginner's guide:
1. Open the cheat box and use the cheat "testingcheatsenabled true"
2. Re-open the box and use the cheat "buydebug"
3. Go into buymode, chose the sort by functions tab, click the question mark button, and open the misc tab.
4. Find the fog emitter. It's a blue/green shiny orb.
5. Hold down [Ctrl]+[Shift], click the orb (once placed) and chose "Set Visual Effect".
6. Enter any of the codes found in the picture.

Hopefully you'll find a few of these effects useful. I'd love to see pictures and please share any ideas you've got. Good luck!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 11/20/11 12:45 PM

KayPapagei

This is REALLY useful! Thank you so much for posting this I'm always wanting to use the fog emitter but never sure what effects to use, the list is so long.

I will be adding some of these awesome effects into my worlds ^_^
Docsprock

Excellent! This needs to get into the FAQ ASAP.

Imagine a signature here.
Johnnywr

Thanks Virvatuli, a very useful thread, one I will definitely be bookmarking. Cheers

Alastair

This is awesome, thanks a lot!

Conorsim

I've bookmarked this also. Brilliant!

Trancepire

Question, are there any methods/tricks to do to keep the game running smoothly with these emitters? And just how much emitters can you put per lot/world without slowing down the game?

I mean for example, iirc you must 'cluster' your trees in caw to keep your game running smoothly.

Virvatuli

@KayPapagei: Cool! Let me see some pictures when you're done

@Docsprock, Johnnywr, Alastair, Conorsim: Glad you liked it guys You're welcome!

@Trancepire: It's really up to what kind of computer you have, I guess, and exactly which effects you use. I bet the big clouds are worse for performance compared to some flies. Most of this stuff won't show unless you are close to the lot, so you can probably use many effects in the world in total, as long as the game doesn't have to show you too many effects at once - so, don't use too many at the same place. Easiest way to find out is probably simply giving it a try!
BSIRegina

I mean for example, iirc you must 'cluster' your trees in caw to keep your game running smoothly.

Trancepire, the program automatically clusters your trees AND updates routing data whenever you save so unless you're just testing something there's no reason to do either of those steps manually.

Virvatuli, thanks so much for this thread! Just last night I was thinking about how I need to go on a fact-finding mission soon on those fog emitters. So, I'm bookmarking for future reference!

I have a question, though. Do fog emitters actually do anything when placed on the map outside of a lot? I know all these other things have to be found by shift-clicking (or some such) which can't be done on the world level, but do they actually emit fog when placed on the map?

Johnnywr

Regina, I used a couple of fog emitters in Matkooskee, both were placed outside of lots and they both quite happily offered a foggy area in the vicinity of their placement. Spooky

BSIRegina

Ooh, Johnny, that is great to know! I need fog in the Old Forest but I haven't got to placing effects yet, am still working on final sculpting, painting, and adding objects to the main areas of the map.

bunbunnyny

Location:Well, my waterbottle says I'm from a mountain spring...

This is great! Thanks! But seriously, someone needs to figure out how to put these effects into the CAW emitter instead of EIG emitters!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/20/11 07:34 PM

AKA Bun
(I am a GUY!)
Starbucaneer

Virvatuli thanks for putting all this info together. Very interesting. I will try this out in my worlds.

happy simming

Starby

Elmawa

This is excellent! Thanks for compiling these pix and codes for us Never used the fog emitters because I didn't know how, but this is great, thanks!

Virvatuli

@bunbunnyny: Thank you! And indeed, it's rather limiting that we have to place lots in order to use these effects D: It'd be like Sims Christmas for me if they found a way to do that! xD

@Starbucaneer, Elmawa: You're welcome, only glad I could help :3

Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Go to: