Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Sims 3 without Origin -- Possible or not?  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
ElegantCaveman

I'll begin by apologizing for making yet another Origin thread. I've used the search function for the forums here, and I've googled my question in general, but I've failed to find a satisfactory answer, thus this thread. I also apologize if this is on the wrong board; please feel free to move it to its proper place, if it is.

I refuse to install/use Origin. End of line.

This is non-debatable. I don't want this thread to become an argument about if Origin is good or bad, or the whys/why nots of if I should use it. The answer is no, and it's a personal choice. It ends there.

I have the base game, and EPs up to Night life. I've been considering getting Generations and Pets lately. My question is, can I get these (especially pets), install, update and enjoy the game without installing Origin, or is it required?

The best information I've found thus far is this (from this thread):

Nichaedemus wrote:Hi,

Digital downloads of The Sims 3 base game and expansions purchased from the EA Store will require the Origin client (and internet connection) in order to verify ownership before playing. Disc versions of the base game and expansions will not require Origin in order to play - the DVD disc of the most recently released product is still required to launch into the game itself, however.

For disc or digital download users, Origin will be required in order to download official Sims 3 Store content from the Sims3.com website. This includes free Store items and registration reward items.

The above information applies only to PC users, as Origin is not supported on the Mac platform at this time.

This is but one person, though, and not an EA rep. I would love to have confirmation about/more solid info on the subject.

I would be buying physical copies of the EPs (my base game and other EPs are also all physical copies). Do I understand correctly that, by doing this, I won't need to deal with Origin at all, as long as I don't download anything from the store? (purchased or reward items)

I prefer playing on Windows, as I find the game runs smoother, but I do have a Mac, so that's always an option. A further concern is that though I may be able to install/update/play without Origin for now, it might become required at a later date. Any word on this? I've heard conflicting reports... some say that Origin is required for updates. Some say it's not. Is there still a separate Sims 3 launcher, or has that been integrated into Origin?

There are probably questions I'm forgetting to ask, or questions I haven't even realized I should ask. But the bottom line is this:

I love the Sims, but I want absolutely nothing to do with Origin. Is there a way for me to enjoy the game to its full potential (not counting store content) while completely ignoring Origin? I don't just not want to use it. I refuse to have it on my computer.

Thank you all in advance. Any information is most appreciated.
ElegantCaveman

As much as I hate to do this, bump for surprisingly fast board. Wow, page 3 already.
The_Purple_Plumbob

I don't have Origins installed( I have the disc copies of the games), after installing pets it asked me if I wanted to install it but I said no. I can still download from the store and upload to the exchange.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 12/01/11 12:33 AM

The_Purple_Plumbob

I'm not sure about updating though, I've always updated my game only when I install a new one.

ElegantCaveman

That's somewhat good news, at least. I appreciate that they ask.

Does anybody have any info on if you can update without Origin? Has there been any updates since Pets came out yet? I guess since you can still download from the store, the S3 launcher is still a separate thing?

I'm also still curious to hear if anyone's heard anything about future plans regarding Origin. Is it still in beta?
bob007

There is no new patches for Pets. I'm guessing you can update w/o Origins because Origin doesn't run on the Mac (I think). If anything you can download the cumulative super patch and patch manually. I don't think Origin is beta anymore. With physical media going away as a distribution method I'm guessing EA wants a Steam like method to get the software to you.

xifu

ElegantCaveman wrote:...My question is, can I get these (especially pets), install, update and enjoy the game without installing Origin, or is it required?

The best information I've found thus far is this (from this thread):

Nichaedemus wrote:Hi,

Digital downloads of The Sims 3 base game and expansions purchased from the EA Store will require the Origin client (and internet connection) in order to verify ownership before playing. Disc versions of the base game and expansions will not require Origin in order to play - the DVD disc of the most recently released product is still required to launch into the game itself, however.

This is but one person, though, and not an EA rep. I would love to have confirmation about/more solid info on the subject.

An EA Rep. will recommend you install Origin because they want all their customers to have it on their machines. I highly doubt they will tell you that you don't need it.

The answer to your question was answered by Nichaedemus. You only need Origin if you bought the digital downloads versions of TS3 and/or the EP's/SP's. If you registered your serial numbers for the discs versions, you also have the option to download the digital download versions of them for free through Origin. That way you don't need the disc in the drive to play, but you'll need to have Origin installed which you don't want.

You do not need Origin to play the disc version of TS3 base/EP's/SP's. It is a fact. You also don't need to patch the game or start the game using the Launcher. I recommend that players only use the Launcher to install Exchange or Store items. You can find more of my recommendations at this post:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/295720.page#3945048

Have fun!

Custom PC:
Intel i7-2600 & DQ67SW
Diamond MM AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition
Kingston ValueRAM 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
WD RE 500GB
Seasonic X Series 660W
ElegantCaveman

*****7 wrote:There is no new patches for Pets. I'm guessing you can update w/o Origins because Origin doesn't run on the Mac (I think). If anything you can download the cumulative super patch and patch manually. I don't think Origin is beta anymore. With physical media going away as a distribution method I'm guessing EA wants a Steam like method to get the software to you.

It's probably just a matter of time before Origin goes Mac, though, which is why I'm slightly concerned about the future. The fact that it's not on Mac right now does bode well in terms of it (Origin) not being required, but depending on how things go, in time, they might start forcing stuff to use it more and more. Seems that for now, at least, I'm "safe", so that's good. We'll see what the future holds, I guess.

I could be mistaken (haven't played Sims since last Spring or so, I think?), but I seem to recall that there were sometimes expansions between EPs. Though I guess that as long as the game works, I don't need to worry too much about patches. My past experience has been relatively problem-free.

xifu wrote:An EA Rep. will recommend you install Origin because they want all their customers to have it on their machines. I highly doubt they will tell you that you don't need it.

The answer to your question was answered by Nichaedemus. You only need Origin if you bought the digital downloads versions of TS3 and/or the EP's/SP's. If you registered your serial numbers for the discs versions, you also have the option to download the digital download versions of them for free through Origin. That way you don't need the disc in the drive to play, but you'll need to have Origin installed which you don't want.

You do not need Origin to play the disc version of TS3 base/EP's/SP's. It is a fact. You also don't need to patch the game or start the game using the Launcher. I recommend that players only use the Launcher to install Exchange or Store items. You can find more of my recommendations at this post:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/295720.page#3945048

Have fun!

Hah! Good point about the reps. That's very interesting about registered serials of physical copies giving the option to download. That would be quite nice, if it didn't involve Origin. If only I could do that with Steam, though a bit of googling tells me I can't (I didn't look very hard, though; if someone knows otherwise, please do tell).

And yes, Nichaedemus' post did give me the answers I wanted, but I like getting second (or third, or fourth...) opinions, especially for something like this. Confirmation's always nice to have.

I didn't know you could play without going through the launcher! That's an extremely useful post you've linked, thank you very much. Bookmarked.
RoyalContructs

I have recently bought sims 3 plus seasons (the discs version)but it turned out I can't install the game without downloading origin.

The first time I installed the base game, I was forced to install origin. I went along with it.

Then I uninstalled origin. When I tried to play sims 3 and seasons without it, a little pop up showed up together with the game launcher and said "please re-install origin to sims 3...etc".

I wonder if it's possible to install sims 3 without origin, if so, could you please provide the detailed instructions?

bob007

When TS3 was released EA said there would be no drm on the disc version. Origin is EA's way of providing digital downloads to customers. This is because there are other vendors providing game downloads. As Origin (the EA download program) matures I'm sure there may be a link to the game. I bought disc versions and my installed games automatically show up in Origin. You used to be able to manually update the game but I don't know if the includes the store patches. IDK and I really doubt if EA will tell.

Briannad26

How do u update from the store ?

The_Purple_Plumbob wrote:I don't have Origins installed( I have the disc copies of the games), after installing pets it asked me if I wanted to install it but I said no. I can still download from the store and upload to the exchange.

shaniaswifty

Help! Origin is so awful It wont even let me sign in so I cant play TS3... :'( What can I do so I can play? x
Navek

Location:♪♪ Still crazy after all these years..........♪♪ ♥♥♥

I have origin, but when i play the EA download Manager kicks in and origin does not.
Karritz

I saw a post Nicademus made recently where he said physical copies of the base game purchased since Sept 2012 require a log in to Origin before you can play.

I don't think you have to stay logged in though. And I am not sure if you have to be on line. It is all new to me. I am glad I have the older version of the game. I do use Origin. I too am wondering they are going with all of this control over how and when we play the game.

kittykat465

Hi gs sorry i have a question the same as yours. I have bought Sims 3, Sims seasons and sims 3 supernatural and eys i have discs but it wont let me play without origin and I feel ripped off how do i play without origin?? It uses internet which i don't like.

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: