Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Twallan's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods  XML
Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
TheChronicR

Hi,

I have been hearing about this mods and they supposedly fix a bunch of bugs. I don't know what they are and what they fix though, I have no clue.

Can you please shortly describe what those two mods do? The mods are:

-Overwatch

-ErrorTrap

Both by Twallan AFAIK.

Thank you.

With regards,

TheChronicR
LukeysEmmy

I run both in my game so hopefully I can help a bit.

Firstly, Overwatch; this is mod that, at a preset time, basically cleans up your town. What I mean is that it gets rid of all the pointlessly spawned cars, turns off stereos and tvs, runs homeless Sims out of town etc. Obviously you can turn off certain functions, like getting rid of homeless Sims because I know some people don't want them gone from their game. This reduces lag, and helps your game run smoother. I don't have a lot of the options turned on in my game, so hopefully another user can list some more of them

Secondly, ErrorTrap; I know less about this mod, so I won't pretend I'm the expert. But as far as I know, it catches game-breaking errors before they have the chance to corrupt your game. In my game it seems to catch animation glitches in particular.

TheChronicR

LukeysEmmy wrote:I run both in my game so hopefully I can help a bit.

Firstly, Overwatch; this is mod that, at a preset time, basically cleans up your town. What I mean is that it gets rid of all the pointlessly spawned cars, turns off stereos and tvs, runs homeless Sims out of town etc. Obviously you can turn off certain functions, like getting rid of homeless Sims because I know some people don't want them gone from their game. This reduces lag, and helps your game run smoother. I don't have a lot of the options turned on in my game, so hopefully another user can list some more of them

Secondly, ErrorTrap; I know less about this mod, so I won't pretend I'm the expert. But as far as I know, it catches game-breaking errors before they have the chance to corrupt your game. In my game it seems to catch animation glitches in particular.

Oh. Ooh. Oh my goodness. I really need to at least Overwatch.

Probably the last questions: will they slow down my game? These will be the first mods I'll be getting.

Also, do they need to be updated before each patch, like other mods?

With regards,

TheChronicR
LukeysEmmy

TheChronicR wrote:

Probably the last questions: will they slow down my game? These will be the first mods I'll be getting.

Nope, many people have said their game runs significantly faster since installing Overwatch (due to it deleting all the cars and stuff). I wouldn't say my game's speed increased dramatically, but it is a little faster now. My CC is probably holding it back But if it does cause any issues, all you need to do to remove it from your game is to delete its .package file. Twallan advises everyone to back up files before inserting his Mods, but I know not everyone does.

When a patch comes out, I delete them from my Mods folder before patching and then wait for Twallan to produce an update for them. Then, I install said updated version. However, I believe he has stated before that they do not always NEED to be updated straight away, i.e. they won't break your patched game if you run it with the old version in. But I always check on his site first. Although, saying that, some changes are going on with NRaas Industries and I believe his mods are being moved to a new site, so not sure how that will work out.

carrie_roch1

I know more about Overwatch than ErrorTrap (though I have both), and I'd say Overwatch can honestly be a game-saving mod. It does so much to fix stupid EA errors and can significantly improve the speed, or even stop a save file from getting unplayable due to lag.

One of the main things it does is delete stray cars. I don't even have LN-- which added a crazy amount of cars, apparently-- and even then, Overwatch can find and delete 30+ abandoned cars per night in my game. Every night! You could imagine the amount of useless, game-slowing cars you end up without it. In addition, it also has nifty abilities like wiping homeless Sims, turning off steros/TVs in inactive households, etc.

Another major feature with Overwatch is that it's constantly checking for stuck Sims, both routing-stuck (and when a Sim is stuck somewhere, that can make a save file so laggy it becomes unplayable), as well as stuck aging. It then returns missing/stuck Sims to their home lot, and if a Sim isn't aging correctly, it's reset them so that they begin aging normally again.

If you're going to get any of Twallan's mods, and don't want to dip your feet into StoryProgression (which I also probably couldn't play my game without), I definitely recommend at least Overwatch.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/07/12 08:58 PM

Lfria

I believe Error Trap is a core mod so it is EXTREMELY important to run your game with the mod on the right patch level. It can do major damage if its not.

I have both mods and love them both. Haven't lost my neighborhood since having Error Trap installed

stilljustme2

TheChronicR wrote:
LukeysEmmy wrote:I run both in my game so hopefully I can help a bit.

If anything, Overwatch will speed up your game by cleaning up the stuff that causes lag -- I've also noticed some "Stuck Aging Check" alerts for pets which I think might also be Overwatch related.

I don't use Error Trap but I think it helps you debug your game when you run into glitches like the dreaded Error 12 or the Exception Raised Errors that pop up and crash your game.

And yes, you have to check for updates when there's a new patch or pack, but Twallan's really good at keeping his mods up to date (when the 1.29 patch came out before the holidays, he was scrambling to get everything checked for compatibility and updated before he left for winter break). All you have to do is before patching or installing new packs, pull your Mods folder out of the Sims 3 folder in Documents and put it on your computer desktop, install the patch/pack, then go to his site and check for updates.

Someone said that we're not allowed to link anymore, so if you Google "nraas home" his new site is the first one listed -- he recently moved as his former site is getting out of file hosting. For instructions how to install mods, Google "installing Sims Package Files" and the link to the Sims Wiki will pop up with information.

Enjoy!

LukeysEmmy

Lfria wrote:I believe Error Trap is a core mod so it is EXTREMELY important to run your game with the mod on the right patch level. It can do major damage if its not.

I have both mods and love them both. Haven't lost my neighborhood since having Error Trap installed

Thanks for posting this, I was unsure about whether ErrorTrap was a core mod or not; I'm pretty sure Overwatch isn't core, though. Is that correct?

Lfria

LukeysEmmy wrote:
Lfria wrote:I believe Error Trap is a core mod so it is EXTREMELY important to run your game with the mod on the right patch level. It can do major damage if its not.

Thanks for posting this, I was unsure about whether ErrorTrap was a core mod or not; I'm pretty sure Overwatch isn't core, though. Is that correct?

Overwatch is not a core mod you are right

LukeysEmmy

Lfria wrote:
LukeysEmmy wrote:

Overwatch is not a core mod you are right

Thanks! I thought so as I am sure I've run it on the wrong patch level without issues. Probably not an advisable thing to do though, wherever possible!

rgirl1

To the Op,
I hope you don't mind if I ask a question related to one of twallens (sp?) mods.
My question is related to story progression.
I just installed it last night and other than getting notified about all the townies' lives, I'm not sure what else to do with it. Are there any really cool aspects to this mod?
I hope you don't mind if I added to your thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this.

TheChronicR

rgirl1 wrote:To the Op,
I hope you don't mind if I ask a question related to one of twallens (sp?) mods.
My question is related to story progression.
I just installed it last night and other than getting notified about all the townies' lives, I'm not sure what else to do with it. Are there any really cool aspects to this mod?
I hope you don't mind if I added to your thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about this.

No problem. I just hope you get the answer to your question because it significantly differs from the topic of this thread, which is Overwatch and Error Trap.

Thanks for all the replies. I will go check out Overwatch at Twallan's site and see if I can get it into my game. I am currently one patch behind (I didn't get 1.29), so I think I'll have to do a bit of digging to actually find out what I need. Lol. Thanks, again!

With regards,

TheChronicR
TheChronicR

Update: I have patched up the game successfully to 1.29 and have installed the Overwatch mod. So far, so good. For those looking for the mod's exact download spot, look no further. Here it is, at Twallan's new site/wiki: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Overwatch+Phase+Five

He has kept the older phases at his old forum/site in the appropriate forum thread.

So there. I hope Overwatch improves my game's performance because the lag is basically killing me. Hopefully.

With regards,

TheChronicR

Forum Index » General Discussion (EN)
Go to: