Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Controlling Occult/Celebrity/Wild Animal Populations  XML
Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
iheartjackie

Guess what? GUESS WHAT?

It has been confirmed by Guru’s that players will now have the ability to control which and how many of each supernatural runs about in town. This new feature also includes controlling Celebrities and Vampires from Late Night.

~SimsVIP

+++++

More information on Controlling Occults up!

SimGuruKarsky wrote:FORUM FOLLOW UP Q&A
June 20, 2012

19 - When having for example 6 werewolves in a neighborhood in your active household, would you then in the slider options draw it down to "max number of werewolves = 0", will those 6 werewolf Sims vanish completely into thin air, or will they just get rid of the werewolfness, and the same with all the other now controllable "life states"?

Answer – The new population control settings use checkboxes and not sliders. There has been some confusion over the new “Population Control Settings” that will appear in the option panel so let me explain this in a bit more detail.

Each Sims 3 town is setup to support story progression; this allows neighbors to move in, get married, promoted and advance in life. The game is basically working behind the scenes to keep the world balanced, alive and interesting over longer periods of time. This system also helps determine if there are too many or too few of a particular type of Sim and tries to keep it at an ideal population. The new population control settings allow players to turn this system on or off.

For example, if a player leaves the checkbox selected (the default), then they are choosing to have the game populate the world to its ideal setting for that particular Sim type. When the checkbox is empty, the game will do nothing to adjust the population of that Sim Type. Sims may still have supernatural babies, or may die, but the game will not go out of its way to maintain an ideal population for that Sim type. Note - If there are already werewolves in your world and you uncheck that Sim Type in the Population Control Settings, the existing werewolves will not be removed. If you would like a world free of werewolves, then you would need to make sure the checkbox is empty before any werewolves show up in your world.

There are also a few other fun ways that you can create and cure Sims in-game of the different supernatural types, stay tuned for more insights.

What do you guys think?

+++++

I’ve had this idea for a while but I decided to post about it. I’m not much for starting new threads.

For those who don't want to read a wall of text, I've highlighted important points that sum the post up nicely.

The idea is to make it an option in the Game Mechanics to chose the amount of Occult/Creature/Paranormal Sims in your game. There can be one individual slider or multiple sliders for each Occult. The sliders would allow the player to chose between zero Occults in their game to up fifty Occult Sims (not counting your household).

For instance, there are around ten vampires in Bridgeport. Adjusting the slider option to five would cause half of the vampires to move away within the week, adjusting it to twenty would double the population over time, while sliding it all the way to zero will make all vampires move out. This will allow the player to cap their vampire population, successfully getting rid of the vampire plague or even eliminate Occults all together from game play without mods.

If similar Occults like vampires, such as the probable werewolf in EP 7, are added, they, too, can have population caps and can be turned off; imaginary friends, mummies, unicorns, genies and other similar Creatures would be much harder (or easier) to obtain with these sliders or eliminated completely; ghost won’t appear as often or not at all.

An option for Celebrities will also be available. A slider to change the difficulty to attain celebrity status would depend on how many Celebrity friends you have. In the current game mechanic, you only need to impress one Celebrity to become a Celebrity yourself, but adjusting the difficulty would make you have to become friends with multiple Celebrities, increasing the amount for each start to get to the next level. In addition to making friends, you must keep friends. This would add challenge as current reputation mechanics can make or break friendships now. With the addition of Showtime, careers such as Singer, Acrobat, Magician, Rockstar, etc. will now need you to keep producing and working to keep your status as a Celebrity or else your Celebrity status may fall and make you a Has-Been.

Strays and Wild Horses can be ebbed as well, allowing players to adjust how many strays and wild animals they'd like along with turning off wild/strays completely. The sliders will reduce the amount of NPC adoptions, too, or allow only your house to have pets.

These options should be simple to implement and allow Simmers to customize their games. The sliders can keep certain Occults or animals in certain worlds, like turning off Horses in Lunar Lakes or if the magic EP is real, you can keep fairies in your magical town and keep your "normal" towns clear of any Occults. These options will also stop people from whining about, “Oh, bleh, MAGIC stuff all up in my REALITY. WAH!” or “I wanted vampires but I didn‘t want TWENTY-TWO BILLION. GAH!” or “OH MY GOD HOW MANY CELEBRITIES CAN ONE TOWN HOLD!!!!!!!”

I’m aware that some mods can already do similar things, but many people do not use mods. Adding these options to the game will make many, MANY people happy. Soooooo happy.

If you think these options would make your game experience better, please respond. Keeping this on the front page will increase the chance of it being seen by SimGurus. Thanks for reading.
---
Horror Stories

If you have a Vampire/Celebrity/Pets related story you'd like to share, please do, especially if it has pics.

Here are some great examples of what the slider idea could prevent and fix, submitted by khynnea.

khynnea wrote:Mmkay so I was working on 200 perfect meals in a slow and playful way, doing some world traveling and getting all the plants the "hard way," growing a perfect garden and doing nectar making to keep it interesting. AND absolutely avoiding any celebrity stars. I did splendidly -- week 12 and only the husband has 1 star; since many opportunities now seem to come with the secret prize inside of "celebrity points," this has meant avoiding those like the black plague.

But even living like freaking hermits, this is my horror story of "give me my next to the last badge."

At night, I can't get away from the sound of meowing or barking. Even moving out to the boonies. None of these animals are known to my sims in the household. Notice how little land I leave accessible to strangers. The sounds of plaintive hungry cries from lost stray animals that are going to inevitably die on my property (it IS week 12) can be heard all the way in the opposite corner while fishing.

In the day, they are joined by the stalker icecream truck. On this rare occasion, the single weirdly dressed paparazzi that stalks the husband isn't outside.

You can see that the wall lines the whole property. As promised, I did flip the garden to the front. The trees make it so I don't have to see the icecream truck parked there. Mostly.

Someone still can't get in the gate; two outside deciding to socialize since they can't get in. A second horse has come along. Apparently each horse has decided to adopt one of the sims in the house. No, I don't know these animals.

This is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD.

I can't landscape how I'd like to. I'm being stalked by homeless animals.

No one in the house has traits that make them like animals. I never interacted with an animal in game. I've been farming, traveling and working on cooking and fishing. Yes, for 12 weeks. 200 perfect meals without cheats can be a long haul (especially with a garden that size and only 2 in the household).

I didn't want to get carried away deleting objects in case it corrupted the save and blew my chance at my badge. Soon as I get my ensorceling 100 sims? I'm nuking these animals. It's bad enough to deal with mewling stray animals pawing at my porch in the winter and not knowing if it has a home or not in real life, I don't want this in game.

khynnea wrote:So it's now week 14 day 3. I know I'm playing SO fast. Inventory management, nectar making and ensorceling take too long.

The fruit squishing, exercising and gardening is over. I'm wrapping up a half-day and sending one sim to bed midday to their super sleeper, someone else is in the kitchen getting some social time chatting on the computer, and the genie is fishing in the backyard pond.

I hear over the TV some music trying to crescendo. It's odd, because the TV is trying to do the same thing with a cheesy melodramatic moment and I'm not sure which is making the sound. But it's clearly coming from a source much closer than the TV, the whole sound-drops-off-at-the-square-of-the-distance-thing. Then the sound becomes recognizable.

OMG, someone is dying.

First thought -- they have death flowers. Phew.

Second thought -- hey wait a minute. No one is repairing anything. No one is swimming. No one is doing anything they can die from, ages are frozen, no guests are on the property, who is dying?!

If not for this happening to me TOO recently, I never would have immediately paused, and moved the camera out to the front gate.

*Cough* Today we have the lone (aging but NORMALLY dressed) paparazzi and... someone about to die.

For the briefest of moments I think, hey, maybe it's Melanie Meade, Paparazzi, about to die. Yucky, but it would be a dead paparazzi, always good. But I know it's not. I'm too psychic about this, and dead paparazzi just isn't in my (good?) fortune.

Nope.

One of the homeless cats I refused to let sniff my sim or feed or any number of other things, dead on my doorstep. At least it wasn't my doorstep, just my front gate.

Witnessed only by Melanie, and the dogs out of frame, they were socializing in the street. I guess they'll die in a few days. On my driveway.

Melodramatic enough?

I can't kill vampires because it's Teen-rated, but this is okay?

khynnea wrote:Oh, and by the way. When Grim comes and goes for SOME reason or another the pets just invite themselves in.

Yes, the gate is locked.

By the time someone could stop chatting on the computer and get over to where the dog was, the dog was being a snot.

What's worst of all? Now the dog is known to the sim and probably won't go away until it's dead.

I can't earn this last badge fast enough so I can delete the object. I just know the last time I did that to a butler it resulted in corruption so... Meh.

Worst of all really is that I'm doing this badge for the second time

This message was edited 14 times. Last update was at 06/21/12 04:10 AM

Pepperbutt

OH MY GOD WHY ISN'T THIS ALREADY THEREEEEEE. -bashes head into wall-

I'd love this option. I'm serious. I mean WHY. Honestly.

Mods can't fix everything. :c And I'm freaking terrified for Magic, just because I don't want the **** town overrun with the mother frickin occults.

I also say the same thing should be added for celebrities.

Mental health issues aren't a joke. Knock it off.

http://simmeringsims.forumotion.com/ or @Pepperbuttz
iheartjackie

Pepperbutt wrote:OH MY GOD WHY ISN'T THIS ALREADY THEREEEEEE. -bashes head into wall-

I'd love this option. I'm serious. I mean WHY. Honestly.

Mods can't fix everything. :c And I'm freaking terrified for Magic, just because I don't want the **** town overrun with the mother frickin occults.

I also say the same thing should be added for celebrities.
Well, I suppose they never thought of it, and it seems they don't really test the game for long periods of time. In previous Sim games, you never really needed to worry about Life States and such taking over but with an open and freely progressing neighbor, these options should become a necessity for the sanity of the players.

iheartjackie

Just bumping myself up.

Pepperbutt

iheartjackie wrote:Just bumping myself up.

Yeahhhh.. don't do that. They're really PMSy about people doing it.

iheartjackie

Pepperbutt wrote:Yeahhhh.. don't do that. They're really PMSy about people doing it.
Lol, actually, as long as you don't spam the board, it's alright in small doses. Like, a once a day bump rather than fifty bumps in an hour. I think that way in the stick post on...uh...forgot which board, but I'm more than certain that I won't get in trouble for one bump.

steph_444444

I completely agree with this. Celebrities, I don't mind as much, since most stay at 1 star and don't really do anything different. Vampires do get annoying when they're all over the place, so a limit would definitely be good. There should be an option to have Simbots or Mummies in the world as well, since those don't come in on their own. I'd personally keep those off, but as long as having settings for the others, might as well have some for all special life states.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/16/12 09:17 PM

ernesdo

I agree completely, there are a lot of vampires in my neighborhood. -.-

Pepperbutt

steph_444444 wrote:I completely agree with this. Celebrities, I don't mind as much, since most stay at 1 star and don't really do anything different. Vampires do get annoying when they're all over the place, so a limit would definitely be good. There should be an option to have Simbots or Mummies in the world as well, since those don't come in on their own. I'd personally keep those off, but as long as having settings for the others, might as well have some for all special life states.

You don't find it annoying how EVERY freaking person in town is one, and your sims can't talk with anyone unless they are, too? Or is that just my game?

iheartjackie

steph_444444 wrote:I completely agree with this. Celebrities, I don't mind as much, since most stay at 1 star and don't really do anything different. Vampires do get annoying when they're all over the place, so a limit would definitely be good. There should be an option to have Simbots or Mummies in the world as well, since those don't come in on their own. I'd personally keep those off, but as long as having settings for the others, might as well have some for all special life states.
Yeah, but even one star Celebrities get shamed and accused, and lots of people complain on how easy it is to become a Celebrity.

I did mention an option for Simbots and Mummies. Whether or not they should spawn by themselves? Honestly, I don't think so (well, maybe Mummies). But if EA implements this, it's up to them to have them spawn or not. I wouldn't care either way since we can adjust the settings if they do.
Pepperbutt wrote: You don't find it annoying how EVERY freaking person in town is one, and your sims can't talk with anyone unless they are, too? Or is that just my game?
He might not mind. There's no problem with that. I, however, do mind and some others do too. With this system, there would be no need for anyone to complain about this anymore: He can keep the settings the same and you can boost the difficulty. Everyone wins!

Johnnywr

Oh, how I hated "Try to impress celebrity" with a passion!
Compared to celebrities, vampires were a minor inconvenience. I say were, as I now use Twallans mods to eradicate both celebrities and vampires.
I don`t think you should have to rely on mods though for this as not everyone (myself included up until very recently) is comfortable using mods. So, I hope sliders are introduced too at some point to reduce the numbers of vampires (and indeed celebrities) in town.

Pepperbutt

iheartjackie wrote:He might not mind. There's no problem with that. I, however, do mind and some others do too. With this system, there would be no need for anyone to complain about this anymore: He can keep the settings the same and you can boost the difficulty. Everyone wins!

I'm not saying there's a problem, it's just hard to believe someone likes it like that.

I question how much time and effort they actually put in to the whole celeb thing, though.

iheartjackie

Pepperbutt wrote:I'm not saying there's a problem, it's just hard to believe someone likes it like that.

I question how much time and effort they actually put in to the whole celeb thing, though.
Well, in all reality, he didn't say he liked it, but you'd be surprised by what people do like.

I remember in Superstar for Sims 1, it was hard as frak to become a Celebrity. They probably dumb-downed the system so it would be accessible to a wider variety of players. In fact, Sims 3 on the hole is all together way too easy for my tastes. I mean, I have to murder my own Sims on purpose if I want them to die of starvation. In the Sims 2, starvation was the second leading cause of death for my Sims (the first being old age 'cause I don't entirely suck as a Sim player). It would be nice if an overall game difficulty slider was implemented as well. I'll add that in this post sometime soon.

Rogoth

Bump for this one. I was amazed at the number of vampires in town and I'm only on my third Sim generation. I'd like to turn off neighborhood story progression to deal with it, but then you loose new people, etc.

And the celebrity thing wouldn't be so bad if paparazzi wouldn't show up for every one star sim. And if your friend suddenly becomes a celebrity, suddenly you are. I mean... I had a celebrity who did nothing but garden and sell stuff and do the opportunities. Seriously? A Farmer Celebrity? All she did was keep to herself and deliver veggies and fruit!

Adjustable caps on occult populations would definitely be an improvement.
Emily485

YES, YES, YES! The whole "automatic turning into vampires and celebrities" thing is REALLY annoying. Paticularily in stories. Once, when I was playing HS, Ella Carsile (which is pretty much Cinderella, with the stepsisters and such) turned into a vampire. I mean, seriously?

And my sim's future bookworm, SHY husband turned into a CELEBRITY! And then, a couple simdays later, he was a VAMPIRE.

Thanks for the sig computertech82!

Forum Index » Ideas & Feedback
Go to: