Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Cannot Start Launcher: Game update being installed  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
socalkdl

Ok, here is a new one on me. Starting this morning I cannot launch the Sims 3. I get the following error message:
"Cannot start the Launcher when a game update is being installed. Please try again after the install is complete."
Note: I am not updating the game and no update activity is being shown. The launcher just closes.
As if the new My Page wasn't enough hassle!
Kirk
socalkdl

Never mind. The game launcher simply had a Liam moment. Rebooting my computer cleared it up.
DanielleVia

my launcher is also doing this. I have restarted my computer and still nothing...please help!
Seydon

Had the same issue today while installing on a new computer.

After wasting tons of bandwidth redownloading the app and the patches, turned out that a lock file was left behind by the patch installer.

When installing a patch, a file TS3patch.lck is created under c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming

As soon as I deleted that file, the launcher started working again.
osamabinrobot

Thanks so much seydon!
simsfana3245

@Seydon, I am having the same problem except I can't seem to find the appdata folder. When I try to make one with that name it says there is already a folder however it's no where in sight, any help?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/29/13 12:40 AM

SnowWolf864

simsfana3245 wrote:@Seydon, I am having the same problem except I can't seem to find the appdata folder. When I try to make one with that name it says there is already a folder however it's no where in sight, any help?

The Appdata folder is hidden by default;

Windows 7 - Organise->folder and search options ->view(tab)-> Then under advanced setting there is "hidden files and folders" and just change to show
Windows 8 - View tab(On any file explorer page)->show/hide->hidden items(just check the box if it is not already ticked)

hope that helped just ask again if that is confusing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/29/13 02:11 PM

Frankenrai

Can someone please help me I found the 'roaming' folder and I even put to show hidden files but I cant find the TS3patch.lck to delete... and when I try to start up sims 3 it still says: "Cannot start the Launcher when a game update is being installed. Please try again after the install is complete."

soooo is there something that I'm doing wrong or what? (I have no clue, please help)
Mister_Passive

Thanks so much for the help @seydon, worked a charm for me

Post Reply Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: