Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
EIG Crashes?  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
rjdreamer53

I used to think that the EIG related to CAW was crashing and not putting my lots in , was because I had only about 6 gigs of HD left. I have since deleted and/or moved several things and I have around 25 or so Gigs of HD now. I have even installed LAA...that is if I have done it right. I have 3 gigs of ram. I became aware that I could no longer play in large worlds , cause they wouldn't save, and I would get error code 12 or 16. I just started playing in medium worlds or smaller, to solve that problem.

My question is: Does CAW hate me... I can build or sculpt in CAW , but when I go to edit in game that is where the problem starts. I can add lots and even edit some , but it comes to a time that I seem not able to add lots or to edit, without EIG crashing. I was just wondering if I would be able to ever get my world finished? I can place empty lots in CAW , but can't add the lot in EIG. To me this is not a finished world.

I need help and would appreciate any feed back that I get...forever grateful . I now usually just build medium or small worlds. I do have a medium world that has all venues and the like , or at least the empty lots, but to me that is not finished. I would like to at least add the lots that I intended to use.

Thanks for any help....RJ
auntielynds

Hi RJ

First, I would check to see if my LAA is connected. You must reconnect it each time you reinstall Caw, and sometimes I start crashing when I haven't reinstalled recently, and it's not connected up.

Open LAA, and go to: Mode/Intermediate.

If nothing is listed chose: Options/Load Previous Files
Hopefully you will see this with LAA'S status as "True". If it's "False", Click the box at the left of the file path, then click "Switch Large Address Aware".

If no file path appears at all, click on "Add Files", and relink.

If you're all linked up, and still crashing, there's one other suggestion I can think of. Open up your task manager, Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end processes on anything you don't need running. Be careful though, if you don't know what it is, don't end the process. The ones I've highlighted on mine, are the ones I know I can end. You can google them to see what they are.

And finally, when you go into EIG, and the sims3 starts up, you can close Caw. After you save successfully in EIG, all your changes will be there in caw when you open it back up. You may already be doing some, or all these things, but maybe something will help. If nothing does, my next step would be to read and post on Simsamples troubleshooting thread at MTS (If no one here has any other suggestions).
Create A World - CAW not running? CAW running slowly?

steph_444444

Adding lots in EIG leads to crashing. They need to be added in CAW, and then you build on them in EIG. The first times I used CAW, I placed lots in EIG, and it crashed when I tried to save.
rjdreamer53

Thanks Auntie and Steph. I need to clarify on my lots. I do place my lots in CAW, I just build on them in EIG. My problem is that after I have placed some lots all will be ok , then the more lots that I do build and try to save the game will not save anymore. I do not get any warnings or errors, it just crashes.
Johnnywr

Instead of building on the lots in EIG, perhaps try building on the lots in a test exported version of your world, building them in-game, then adding the finished lots to your library and then open EIG just to place the buildings on their lots.
I know that doesn`t answer your question as to why EIG is crashing (though it does sound like an issue LAA might solve?), but at least you will be able to make some progress without frustrating crashes...I know them so well.

rjdreamer53

Thanks Johnny, I have my own build world that I do make some homes in and then save them to my bin. I then try to put these builds in my other world. The world will still not save at times. I have never tried to export my world that I am working on and then do the building. I may need to try that if everything else fails.

Thanks again for all your help. RJ
rjdreamer53

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I have tried everything that all of the above posters have suggested , except for the task manager thing. I even made a small world, and it would save until the lot count got too big. On most counts the only way I have been able to work in EIG , is to just do one lot at a time and save after each lot. This does get tedious, but it has helped. I haven't even tried to landscape any lots so far. How would a person get a world ready to export , if they can't even edit their lots in the EIG version of CAW? I have less than a hundred lots so far, if you are wondering. I guess my puter needs a major overhaul.

Oh well , just wanted to inform you all that one lot at a time does work for the most part.

RJ
auntielynds

It's not just you, I've been getting sporadic crashing as well since I installed Showtime, but I think it's my computer not ST. I have 8 gigs of ram, and I have the game crashing as well. The crash log analyzer says I'm out of memory, so something is up with my pc.

I'll have to start googleing for possible causes, and fixes.

rjdreamer53

Thanks Auntie, sorry to see you having difficulties, but I at least don't feel alone with this. RJ
geminiagre

Location:Lurking in the shadows behind you, roasting horse fertilizer on the fire pit

auntie , it's not your computer. I have 8 gigs too and the game crashes on me more often, after installing ST. The game already has memory leak issues and I'm pretty sure ST has more issues that are making things worse.

rj LAA makes CAW handle more than 2GB of ram, the problem is , can your computer handle that?? CAW and the game do indeed eat more than 2GB fast, that's why we are all using LAA. You have 3GB so 2 or more are used by CAW/Sims 3 , and you also have windows, and all the other system proceses that are running in the backround, not to mention the user ones. So i think your issue is that you do not have enough memory to handle CAW and all the buggyness of it.

If you cannot get any extra memory at this point I would suggest checking your virtual memory.
It is suggested that your virtual memory Should be 1 1/2 times your RAM , so with your 3 Gigs, VM should be 4,5 Gigs. It is also suggested to have max in min sizes the same so the computer will reserve that space on your HD at all times.
It is not the best solution, as things will slow down when the system will start using virtual memory, but at least it helps a bit.

How to set/check VM (this is from windows vista, XP is similar and i assume windows 7 will be as well)

Start->Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->click "continue" when it asks for permission

Go to the "advanced" tab, and at the part where it says performance click on "settings"

Go to the "advanced" tab, and there should be a box named "visual memory" and iyt should say under it how much is set. Click on "change"

Select your main drive and then enable the "custom size" option.
In BOTH min and max boxes type in the size in MB. for your 3GB of RAM 4500MB is recommneded.
In fact there is a box underneath that, that says "total paging filesize for all drives" and it should say the exact recomended size and it SHOULD be around 4500. I would recommend typing that number stated there in the two boxes above, as it is more accurate (3GB are not exactly 3000MB)
Click OK/Aply on all the windows you opened and it will ask you to restart your computer ( do so , even if it doesn't ask you)

If it is already set as such , i have no idea what else might help , instead of getting more RAM, but as far as i know most computers have "system managed size" selected by default, and it is not the best solution as it constantly changes.

I've had serious issues years ago when i was at college, and couldn't run photoshop CS on the computer i had back then (it wouldn't load AT ALL) and only by changing that , not only i could load photoshop, but i was actually able to complete my project

auntielynds

Thank you Geminiagre

I'm going to try this. I'll report back what happens.

rjdreamer53

Thanks Gem, I have tried this. I set my PC at 4605 MB which is what my PC recommended. This helped for the first 2-3 lots I placed then it wouldn't work any more. When I try to save in EIG, it goes through the procees for a while and then it just crashes. I still will not give up hope though. I have no idea what to try next.

RJ

edit, when I say place lots , I am talking about putting a prebuilt lot on the lot that I placed in CAW.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/22/12 10:28 PM

Starbucaneer

It also helps to do a little bit in CAW and or EIG then save. The more alterations you make before a save the more memory resources it takes to make the save. I have the same issues oce my CAW world gets beyond a certain size.

I also found I sometimes get a glitched lot in the save and have to delete it and try again.

PS geminiagre thanks for the tip about virtual memory just checked mine and noticed it was set on auto to 4095mb but recommended was 6142mb so have changed it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 03/22/12 10:42 PM

auntielynds

Okay, this is what I set it for, but I'm not sure on the minimum. I put in 16, and it said it should be at least 400. So, should I set it at 400, or the 8119 which was what was currently allocated.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 03/23/12 01:38 AM

geminiagre

Location:Lurking in the shadows behind you, roasting horse fertilizer on the fire pit

you need to set the recommended size witch is 12178 for you in BOTH initial and maximum size.
You can set diff numbers there (16mb is rediculously low so no wonder you got that warning) if you want but i wouldn't suggest it.
What it does , if you set a diff ini and max, is that the part of your drive that is used as virtual memory , will change size in dif occations , and possibly might even be written on with temp files and when you need the max size of it it might not be available, resulting to a system hang, lag issues or even crashing, because you run out of virtual memory when you weren't supposed to.
That's why i'm suggesting to use the same number for ini and max (12178 for both) that way that part of the disk is ALWAYS, at all times, no matter what, available as virtual memory as a whole, and cannot be touched by random temp files, and because of it's standard size it's always accessible faster as the system has an exact specified part on the disk to look for data

rj Note that there are issues anyway with the game and CAW. Since patch 1.27 i've been crashing way more often when trying to paint or sculpt. I haven't played with CAW yet after ST and the latest patches. But i've been in game and i do have random hard freezes at least once a day in SS.
CAW is a resource eater, and 3GB of RAM for creating a full size world at this point is not easy and def a pain in the backside.Take intyo account as well that the speed of your RAM, HD and CPU matter as well , as they determin how fast the data is tranfered , therefore how fast the system responds to your actions. Doing things a bit more slowly (place a lot wait a few seconds, place new lot, wait a bit again etch -it worked with my photochop issues back then and it helps now when painting and sculpting in CAW when it doesn't feel like behaving)when you are running low on resources does help.
As i've read above you also have disk space issues (virtual memory taking part of it as well) so my only suggestion at this point would be try to shut down any backround prosecces you don't need , try cleaning up more things from your HD, do a disk defrag and cleanup if you haven't already,follow Starbucaneer's suggestion as well and finally and more unfortunately start saving up for RAM and probably HD upgarade.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 03/23/12 03:48 AM

Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Go to: