Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
CANVAS Cycle Two - Scores, Assignment 3 posted. Troll it up!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Sims and Modeling
JKAmaryllis

Welcome to CANVAS Cycle 2! If you have seen the artwork from Canvas Cycle One (or participated) you'll know Canvas had a little different flavor than most comps. Canvas had a unique focus on artwork and its purpose. Another unique twist of Canvas is that since it's not modeling oriented, I am not requiring you to stick with one particular model through the whole competition! If you decide a certain work would be better with a male model, you can use a male model, etc etc.

Here is some amazing example work from Cycle One:

1. Play nice. Just common courtesy.
2. I'm incredibly lenient with deadlines, however I will not force everyone to wait a rediculous amount of time on one person, especially round after round.
3. As stated before, editing is allowed but by no means required.
4. I know I can't enforce this, but being a no show without letting us know you are dropping is just INCREDIBLY rude. So.. yeah don't do it.
5. It is okay to ask questions about scores, and I have been known to make an error. Totally point that out! But please if you disagree with scores, don't be rude about it!
6. If you have a question about whether or not something is acceptable, you ARE allowed to PM me with the image and ask. I don't feel like it is cheating to ask for my opinion, help, etc with pics because everyone can do it!

Username:
What you prefer to be called:
And Include this statement in your application just so I can stress this:
If I have to drop I will have the decency to say so rather than being a no-show.
Include assignment one picture:
(This is what will be used in lieu of the model wall)

This message was edited 13 times. Last update was at 04/29/12 05:16 AM

JKAmaryllis

Many times art is used to express an opinion about something. In this case that opinion is going to be a negative opinion about a competition assignment! LOL! Basically I want you to take an assignment that you think is overdone or maybe have hated in the past. Tell me what that assignment is and TROLL IT UP! You could make fun of it, do the exact opposite of what it asks, etc etc. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know. Also, sorry about the long due date - One week from now falls at kind of a crappy time for me xD

Note: This round will be double elimination, unless there are 3 or more drops. I hate to do it that way, but it's taking me WAY too long to do scores.

Due Tuesday, May 8

Evie

Beech

Sugar

Bliss

Ang

***Please remember to look for full size when judging ***

A.shpie

Vanadis

LadyEm

Anitat

This message was edited 30 times. Last update was at 05/04/12 04:25 PM

JKAmaryllis

Scoring:

40 - Creativity - This has to do with your overall idea as well as how you did the picture.
20 - Assignment Relativity - Obviously, we want you to think outside the box, but it still has to relate to the assignment.
40 - Quality - This factors in things like editing and also certain in game aspects. We understand that not everyone is lucky enough to have killer graphics cards, but try to turn your settings up as much as possible. Other factors in quality include your basic eye for detail, like sims' limbs going through things they shouldn't go through, bad lighting, etc.

First Place Tie: Evie and Bliss

Creativity: 40
Assignment Relativity: 20
Quality: 39
Total: 99
Comments: Woah! What a wonderful Idea with this! I can almost hear a rustle of wind and some crickets! I love the plants you've chosen for this and it's a very unique idea. Not many thought to go outdoors with their pic! Your graphics I think helped you out a lot because the texture on the tractor is phenomenal. My one complaint is that while the execution of the light from the headlight is fine, I just can't imagine that it would actually work on a tractor so old and junky.

Creativity: 38/40
Relativity: 20/20
Quality: 38/40
Total: 96/100

Bliss, you really rocked this. I love how overgrown the tractor looks. I'm on the fence about the lights coming out of its headlamps; on one end, it just makes it look creepy-cool, but on the other end, there's no one in it, it's pretty dead... but I think the like kind of wins out on this one. Creepy cool. The weeds kind of bother me because some look like they're all in a line, just some spacing out on them would've done great. Quality's a tiny bit pixelly. Just a tad. Other than that, wouldn't change a thing. Gorgeous and really creative.

Total: 195

Quality: 38
Total: 98
Comments: OooooOOOooo What an amazing idea! So mysterious and something I never ever would have thought to do in game. The colors are just awesome and the butterflies really are the cherry on top! I did nick a little off of quality because you see a little bit of the candles not really matching the ground there near the middle of hte picture; something I do imagine you probably fought a lot with. I'm not sure on this, but maybe a little cloning of the ground would have helped? I almost wish I could have given you more for creativity because this really was such an outside the box idea! Love it!

Creativity: 39/40
Total: 97/100

This is a really creative take on a still life, Evie. I love the colors you used here. I also like that the butterflies aren't the focus here and there are so few of them that it still constitutes a still life. Good job with that. My only complaint really is that some of the candles seem like they're floating a little. A little choppiness but not too bad. Otherwise I'm pretty speechless.

Total: 195

Creativity: 30
Comments: Ooohhh fantasy still life! The picture and the colors are gorgeous and so is the lighting. I'm not a fan of the plants/flowers/heather whatever it's called at the bottom.. it' sjust kind of dark and not as detailed as the rest of the pic. you did a wonderful job with the magical sparkles (for lack of wording lol) because normally they look kinda cheep and superficial on the pic but these are nice and dimensional. Love it!

Quality: 37/40
Total: 95/100

MAGIC MUSHROOMS! Love the color in this, though it looks blotchy in some places like the bases of the mushrooms. Also that one mushroom is really glowy, but it kind of makes sense with the glowing fairy dust above it. This is a good take on a nature still life. I can't really say I have many complaints. Your quality looks pretty good, the composition is great, not a bare area to be seen. This is one of my favorites. Good job!

Total: 193

Total: 99
Comments: Ooohh this picture has sooo many nice, creative touches and really sets the mood and scene! I think of maybe the grandparents' home somewhere in the Northeast and baking cookies with grandma! The view outside the window is fantastic and Everything just has such a soft, warm feel to it. I think the glow might just be a tad much, and (I only counted off like .5 for each of these) the little cracks/distressing should have a little more brownish hue. I still think they add something rich to your picture, like a photo in the family album. Wondeful job!

Creativity: 37/40
Quality: 36/40
Total: 93/100

This is gorgeous, Beech. I love how you went with a food theme, a very common theme for still life paintings, but made it different by not having them all on top of each other, but just kind of showing a work in progress. I like that the outside view is interesting too. I love the muted filter you used, the kinda sepia tones, but I'm not particularly a fan of the scratches and stuff on it. I feel that sort of takes away from the beauty of it. It's a little distracting I think is what I mean.

Total: 192

Creativity: 38
Quality: 39.5
Total: 97.5
Comments: I cannot get over the CLARITY of this shot; it looks almost real! Wonderful job with soft lighting and setting an ambient scene... makes me think of a quiet morning in a seamstress' office. There was one minor quality issue and I barely noticed myself - there is a tiny gap between the table and the shading of the table on both ends of it. (hope that makes sense!) I REALLY love the fabrics and textures and just again how clear they are!

Total: 94/100

I like this, Gim! It's different. Love all the different objects you used here. I like how you knocked over some of the threads. I don't really like the chair that's in the way; you can't really see the sewing machine that well with it. But really that's the only thing I'd have taken out of here. Your quality here is a little bit choppy but not too bad. Love this.

Total: 191.5

Assignmnet Relativity: 20
Total: 97
Comments: This picture just has such a warmth to it! It feels to me like it was probably taken in a room with a fireplace with all that warm lighting, and I love the red color scheme as well. The camera angle and zoom are quite as well. I imagine this is a coffee table? The atomizer (I think that's what it's called lol) is such a nice piece of clutter but the bottom of it doesn't really have well defined edges and makes it look a little like the top piece is almost floating.

Creativity: 36/40

The filter you used on this is great; makes it look nice and antiqued. Your objects are really interesting here, though I don't feel the coffee cup really goes with the theme, as it seems more 'things you'd put in your entryway.' The little bit of the tilt you used made it more interesting. Overall I think you got the still life down just about perfectly.

Total: 191

Creativity: 39.5
Quality: 38.5
Comments: Butter!! What an amazing job with this! Another marvelous idea I never would have thought of! I'm really trying to reward those who like you went with an idea with inspiration and purpose rather than the easy way of taking a pretty picture of a bunch of clutter. I love the colors and textures, other than the pattern on the first saddle being a little stretched by the saddle. I think (not sure) but I think the best way around that is using small patterns. The res of them look fine and actually it wouldn't have been that noticeable if that pattern had been used on one of the saddles in the back. I didn't really count off for this, but I think it would have been really cool to desaturate the picture a little (not totally black and white) or maybe adding some distressing or just a filter to make it look sorta vintage would have really given it some extra authenticity.

Relativity: 19/20

I love the colors in this one. So nice and warm and pretty. I love that you did something quite different from everyone else, and it looks really good. I think the number of bridles on the wall were a little too many, maybe three like the saddles would have helped keep it from looking so cluttered. I like the clutter you have down at the bottom, and your quality is really nice.

Total: 191

Creativity: 39
Assignment Relativity: 19
Total: 96
Comments: One of my favorite things about this picture is the color scheme! I actually love how it's very limited to the blacks, pinks, and then this almost greenish color. It's creepy but it sorta gives it this girly punk feel. Your clutter looks nice, but I think the fact that the lables on all the bottles in the pic need almost to be a little more randomly placed so that the labels aren't facing the camera. I took a little point off of relativity because even though there are no sims in the pic, it doesn't totally feel like a still life pic. I think it's because most still life shots are really zoomed in. Also my eyes aren't sure which exact object in the pic should be the main focus of the shot.

Wow, you really went all out here. I like the filters you used, helps make it look dark and creepy. Though for more of a still life feel, I'd have just taken some of the smaller objects and arranged them, like maybe put the bottles on the barrel next to the torture thingy and shot that. This is still great, though.

Total: 190

Creativity: 38.5
Total: 96.5
Comments: Really diggin' the whole art studio vibe and you've got some great clutter for the set. Really love the tubes of paint. I also like the focus of the pic; it reminds me a little bit of tilt shift photography. I know your sim isn't the main focus of the shot, but I think because I can sorta see my face, my eyes are always pulled to her so I took off a little bit for that. Otherwise I love the lighting and college student feel of it!

This is really cool, art within art. Heehee. I like how you completely took the sim out of the focus by blurring it. But still I find my eyes drawn more to the sim than to the still life. Other than that, your color, lighting, quality are all really good. Your subject matter all fits nicely and is well compositioned.

Total: 189.5

Quality: 37
Total: 94
Comments: I love the colors in this and the fantasy feel of it! The birdcage is such a gorgeous addition, too! I'm back and forth on the shading. If the lamp had the same shading I would like it more, it would look like that was the art style of it, otherwise it sorta looks like everything is just a little too heavily shaded. Also there is just so much going on, I think two things would help this. One I think instead of the mural in the background, it would be nice to either have a wallpaper with a repeating pattern or a simple wall; something with some consistency to calm down the noise. Another thing would be to treat one of your set objects as a sim and focus on it so that our eyes know where to go first. Mine go to the lamp, but I'm not sure if that is your intention or the lack of shading on the lamp. Otherwise I love the vivid colors and life to this!

Creativity: 39/40
Relativity: 17/20

You did much better this round... actually I think this is one of my favorite entries this round. I love all the colors you used. Though, there are too many animals for this to really be a still life. I think the bubbles were also oddly placed. But I love the color and the assortment of objects.

Total: 188

Creativity: 37
Quality: 36
Total: 92
Comments: This was a really cool, unique idea! I love all the color and I'm a big fan of grunge. There is something that makes the picture feel like it's inside, and I think it's the floor. It just looks too clean and uniform. I'm not usually a fan of terrain paints but I think it would have been a good idea in this case or maybe some shading. Also the placement of your objects feels a little random - I'm not sure where to focus my attention to in the picture. I love the graffiti and detailing on the walls and the color in the picture is awesome!

Total: 96/100

So this is really creative! I'd never expect to see an abandoned alley bus stop thing when I think of still life, but you made it work here. The only thing I see right off the bat is that the caution stand thingy is going a little into the bottom of the fire hydrant, or at least looks like it is. I'd have moved it back just a tad. Love your rusty chair. I think it'd have functioned better if it were a bench though, but for what it is, it looks good here. Love the graffitti on the wall. Really I don't see much I'd have changed here. Great job! Your quality is really nice too!

Total: 188

Comments: This has such a soft, innocent feel.. sorta shabby chic which is something I'm kind of in love with. Also has kind of a cozy like.. sick day vibe going on too! I love the sorta watercolor effect as well. I think the bed shouldn't have the same wicker color/pattern as the baskets. I was back and forth about the border - I think it helps bring out the yellow in the stuffed animals, but I think overall I'd like the pic better without.

Creativity: 35/40
Relativity: 17/20
Total: 89/100

I think here, the part of the person's body kind of takes away from it being a still life. Also sort of takes the attention away from the subject matter of the photo, the toys. I'd like to have seen more toys scattered in front of the box or something to give it more interest, more to look at, because that's really what a still life is -- interesting objects placed with composition in mind. I like the filter you used to make it look artistic rather than sims. It was a risky filter to use but I think it worked here, with the playful theme.

Total: 187

Assignment Relativity:20
Total: 95
Comments: Ooohh I love the colors and the softness in this. While I also enjoy the simplicity of it, creativity wise it could have a little bit more going on. I love that it actually does look like it's got a painted look to it. I think if you lowered the camera more and moved it a little to the right to put all the objects in the middle the overall composition would be better as well. Also the shading just looks a little bit odd to me; like right up against the objects there is a thin line where the shading is gone.

Creativity: 34/40
Total: 92/100

This is definitely a traditional still life. I think you played it a little too safe; it doesn't wow me in the creativity department. The colors are really nice and work together really well but I think that with a pattern on the wall to break up that orange color a little would have worked wonders. Also I think moving it a little toward the middle of the photo would have helped composition. This is good overall; it makes me think of the entrance at an art gallery showing or something.

Total: 187

Comments: One thing that stands out about your pics is that your lighting is unique and so many times (like in this pic) it REALLY works out awesomely! It almost has this metalic glow and added to the color scheme it just has a nice dark, still quality to it. I think your picture could have scored sooooo much higher if it had been cropped. You wouldn't have even really needed the crow. The main thing about the cropping is that you can see the sky, but also I just don't like all the blank, white space. Maybe if you didn't want to crop it, a textured wallpaper or a painting would have helped.

Quality: 34/40
Total: 91/100

I really like this one. All your objects go together nicely, it's lit well, and I just love it. Maybe if you could have moved the raven down (I'm not sure if it's shiftable) I would have... also, you can see part of the sky where it should be ceiling; watch out for that. The quality is quite choppy though. But otherwise, your objects and composition are great.

Total: 186

Total: 96
Comments: One of my favorite things about this picture is the balance and composition of the colors! The red and green (and they don't even look like Christmas lol) really do a great job complimenting each other and those flowers are an awesome little pop of red against the green wall. The cat is adorable and the clutter is just enough. One of my issues is that the placement of the objects in the shot seem kinda pressed together, like the chair is too close to the table and the wall sconce is too close to the floor. I understand that you wanted to include all of it in the shot, but maybe a different camera angle would have worked better.

Relativity: 16/20
Total: 88/100

The cat takes away from this being a still life, especially since he's the focal point of the photo. Even in still lifes which have a living thing (which is very, very rare) they can't be the focus. I'd like to have seen more things to do with books here, maybe a pair of reading glasses or something to go with the books, and the books more together in a composition than kind of wandering around the picture. The chair and table are good, as is the candle, but if you kept the candle I'd have taken out the wall candle, because that's a lot of candles; plus, it's really unnaturally low to the ground. I do think the flowers were a nice addition, too.

Total: 184

Total: 94
comments: This is SUCH an improvement from your last pic! There is a lot more going on and I just LOVE the teddy bear! The books are great and I like the picture has a unified color scheme as well. Another thing I like about it is t hat you can see lots of detail in the floor and the lines really help the pic. I think there is a glow effect on it that I think the picture would have looked better without and the picture also feels like there is a lot going on the right side and not much on the left. Otherwise wonderful job!

Creativity: 35/40
Relativity: 18/20
Quality: 35/40
Total: 88/100

I'm not feeling the composition of this. The books and the bear I think are supposed to be the focal points but they're all scattered away from each other, like the books in the basket. Also the legs really take away from the photo. They're so close to the focus that they become part of the focus, and in a still life, they shouldn't be. So I'd have tried compositioning the books mostly together, and took out the sim. The picture seems a little bit blurred and you have some glowy edges of the books; move your lights back a bit to fix the glowiness. Overall this is pretty nice.

Total: 182

Comments: Oooooohhhh you've got some gorgeous shading in this shot. It also has an ominous feel to it; like maybe it's storming. As much as I like the symmetry in this picture, I think that the symmetry and the head on camera angle takes away the still life feel. I feel like still life should have a little bit of a candid feel to it. On the bottom half of the picture and on the plants I enjoy the black and white, but I think the view out of the window makes it kind of busy and without color it just makes it hard for me to see what's going on.

Creativity: 34/40
Relativity: 15/20
Total: 86/100

I can't say this really looks like a still life to me, more like a home interior shot. I was more looking for a few objects, artfully arranged. The photo is cut off in places it shouldn't really be, for what it is; like, I'd like to see the whole sofa, the entirety of the plants, etc. I do like your black and white filter; it's really nice. Your quality's really nice this time too.

Total: 181

Creativity: 34
Total: 91
Comments: I like the colors in this and the pink flowers are a nice pop of color. I think it feels a little bare. It would look better with a little more objects in the picture and maybe something really cool in the reflection of the window. It is a great improvement from last round, especially with the overall quality and composition of the shot!

Creativity: 32/40
Total: 89/100

This looks pretty good. It's definitely a still-life, but I'd have liked to see more objects around than just mags, glasses, and flowers. Maybe some makeup would have fit. It just looks a little bare. The creativity didn't wow me this time. The quality's really good though. The composition seems a little unequal, with more objects to the left than the right, nothing in the middle. It makes the eye go to one side and stay there really. So next time get really creative!

Total: 180

Creativity: 33
Total: 90
Comments: I think you got what still life is about and what I wanted. Capturing a calm, stillness; a lot of it is used to capture home decor, etc. I think what your picture needs (and this will help you in further assignments) is a theme with a little inspiration behind it. Maybe have the camera zoomed in to the window more showing what you can see outside.. judging from what I see there is a nice view with the white picket fence, trees, etc. Maybe could be looking out to a nice pond with some ducks? Also something I TRY to do with a lot of my shots is keep in mind a color palette. Just like home design it helps to have colors that work together. It just helps tie it together and make it very pleasing to the eye. I know not everyone just knows what colors work together, so check out this site: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Creativity: 32/40
Relativity: 15/20
Total: 83/100

To be honest this doesn't really seem like a still life to me, just a picture taken of a shelf. With a still life, it's more a combination of items arranged with composition in mind, so if you were to take the stuff off the shelf and put it on a surface, and make a pretty composition with it, that would have been more a still life. For what it is, the angle seems a tad steep, and it needs better lighting as it's kind of dark right now.

Total: 173

***Eliminated: Sanne: I'm very sorry to let you go, but remember you can still submit community art any time! I really hope you do and continue to lurk!***

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 04/29/12 05:41 AM

JKAmaryllis

Reserved

CreatureFearSims

awwwww shucks....
I'm reserving if that's alright.

Working on it now!

JKAmaryllis

yay! Will add you to the list! psyched to already have such talent interested!

ArtistByNight

Love the look of this competition Ok, i'm a bit of an ameteur with modeling, especially since I don't have pose player because my computer won't download it I'll let you know if i'll join or not

JKAmaryllis

ArtistByNight wrote:Love the look of this competition Ok, i'm a bit of an ameteur with modeling, especially since I don't have pose player because my computer won't download it I'll let you know if i'll join or not

Glad you liked the look! My idea for the banner (as silly as this sounds) was the last thing that pushed me to do another cycle lol xD

I think this would be a great comp because as a host I am totally all about helping and giving feedback even before you turn in. I don't think it's cheating since everyone can do it

JKAmaryllis

lol well.. I am realizing how hard this is when I tried to do an example pic..

Idk if you can really see what I'm going for because what I've colored white in the pic is gray.

I don't think I'll be counting off too much for not getting the idea, esp since its the first assignment, but I guess I just want a little more contrast in the black and white than just simply desaturating a pic. Hope that helps/makes sense

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/12 09:47 PM

JKAmaryllis

Bump

ALMAinWONDERLAND

Im working on it as I type should have it in by tomorow

Question, do we need to use the same model or its fine if we use different ones for different assignments?

JKAmaryllis

you can use different models for different assignments

CreatureFearSims

Username: CreatureFearSims
What you prefer to be called: Evie
If I have to drop I will have the decency to say so rather than being a no-show.

JKAmaryllis

:o love! Will be updating tomorrow

butterflop98

Reserve? I really wanna be part of this comp, its a great idea and looks like lots of fun!

Post Reply Forum Index » Sims and Modeling
Go to: