Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
It's immoral for EA to be tricking little girls into buying their products!!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
HollowGuy

Hi,

I just wanted to exclaim how disgrunted I am that EA are IMMORALLY tricking 7-12 year olds into buying their T-rated products via this Katy Perry promotion. Call me a skeptic all you want, but I don't believe for one second that these guys had good intentions in mind when they decided to put Katy Perry on the front cover of their products like this. Any self-entitled Katy Perry fan would purchase this in a jiffy, and I find that very worrying. Not necessarily because the game is inappropriate for their age group, rather it's because they don't know how much of a bad deal they're getting!

Not only are they completely oblivious to the fact that the vanilla edition is REQUIRED for the product to function (costing them an additional $40), but this SP in particular is $10 more expensive (and probably 10x worse) than the norm!

This is just PURE EVIL and I will NOT support a company that shamelessly swindles such an innocent and, unfortunately, oblivious age group!!
Curliest

Location:i'm typing in all lower-case, i guess that means i'm wispering ? SORRY, IS THIS BETTER?

Well really, with kids so young it's the parents responsibility to make sure they have everything they need to run the game and so on. Any parent who allows their child to buy stuff without knowing what it is, is a lacking parent to say the least.

But I agree with most everything else you said, it's a tatic to appear to die hard and weak minded fans, which it seems to have done successfully.

Yahtzami

I get what you are saying, but truthfully, most 7-12 year olds don't HAVE $50 to spend on a Katy Perry Edition of Showtime, another $40 for Sweet Treats and yet ANOTHER $30-$40 for the base game to play any of them to begin with. It would be up to a parent or grandparent to fork over the money for these packs and even a kid that does chores or saves B-Day money would STILL need someone older (more than likely a parent) to take them to purchase the games because of the rating. I am hoping that the parents would at least pay attention to the content and decide whether or not their child is mature enough to deal with the game...and of course if they are willing to shell out the money!

I also know that not all parents are that observant and would purchase this game simply because their kid WANTS it...but that falls back on the parent. You can blame EA for a lot of things, but not for lack of parenting or poor decision making by a parent.

HollowGuy

Curliest wrote:Well really, with kids so young it's the parents responsibility to make sure they have everything they need to run the game and so on. Any parent who allows their child to buy stuff without knowing what it is, is a lacking parent to say the least.

I sort of agree with this, but the fact of the matter is that parents don't have enough time to check out every little inconspicuous detail about a silly little game. Since this is especially geared towards younger girls, I'd hate to see the reaction on their faces when their highly-anticipated Katy Perry game doesn't quite work yet. Maybe that's just me?
To7m

Yahtzami wrote:I get what you are saying, but truthfully, most 7-12 year olds don't HAVE $50 to spend on a Katy Perry Edition of Showtime, another $40 for Sweet Treats and yet ANOTHER $30-$40 for the base game to play any of them to begin with. It would be up to a parent or grandparent to fork over the money for these packs and even a kid that does chores or saves B-Day money would STILL need someone older (more than likely a parent) to take them to purchase the games because of the rating. I am hoping that the parents would at least pay attention to the content and decide whether or not their child is mature enough to deal with the game...and of course if they are willing to shell out the money!

I also know that not all parents are that observant and would purchase this game simply because their kid WANTS it...but that falls back on the parent. You can blame EA for a lot of things, but not for lack of parenting or poor decision making by a parent.

Well Said!
AznSensei

What the hell is this?

Last time I checked I've been seeing ADULTS and MALES buying this stuff pack, I don't see any tricking period as it's pure advertisement, much like anything from the Sims 3 Store or any other Expansion Pack or Stuff Pack.

I see nothing EVIL at all about this... *facepalm*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/04/12 12:52 AM

Allspice1232

Yahtzami wrote:I get what you are saying, but truthfully, most 7-12 year olds don't HAVE $50 to spend on a Katy Perry Edition of Showtime, another $40 for Sweet Treats and yet ANOTHER $30-$40 for the base game to play any of them to begin with. It would be up to a parent or grandparent to fork over the money for these packs and even a kid that does chores or saves B-Day money would STILL need someone older (more than likely a parent) to take them to purchase the games because of the rating. I am hoping that the parents would at least pay attention to the content and decide whether or not their child is mature enough to deal with the game...and of course if they are willing to shell out the money!

This. If a parent blindly buys something for their kid that isn't appropriate for them, it's their fault.

I don't even think kids that young should be listening to Katy Perry in the first place.

Want to earn extra money for Simpoints? Try SwagBucks!
AznSensei

I don't even think many kids that young have that much money either.. Last time I checked at that age, they would be doing something else not play video games :\

Edit: Nor would they have any control on purchasing this, especially if it's Base Game along with this stuff pack.

It's up to the parent, not the child.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/04/12 12:56 AM

mene

7 to 12?!?! I thought this was a teen rated game.

Other then that it's up to the parents to decide to buy it for the child, not EA.
wizplace

But it's up to the parents.

HollowGuy

Since when are most parents responsible and knowledgeable individuals? You guys are warped out.
wizplace

HollowGuy wrote:Since when are most parents responsible and knowledgeable individuals? You guys are warped out.

True. I bet you have the parents who allow their children to play Sims 3 don't even know it's T for teen.

HollowGuy

wizplace wrote:True. I bet you have the parents who allow their children to play Sims 3 don't even know it's T for teen.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be insulting or not. I'm going to assume you're just one of those trolls.
wizplace

HollowGuy wrote:
wizplace wrote:True. I bet you have the parents who allow their children to play Sims 3 don't even know it's T for teen.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be insulting or not. I'm going to assume you're just one of those trolls.

I'ts not. I'm saying that some parents don't even realize that the Sims is rated T for teen and that they don't look at the raiting. They just allow their kids to play anything. I mean some parents even let their children play Mature games.
I was just responding to your post honestly.

PaisleyPink

As a parent I see many things marketed towards children that I will not buy for my child or allow him to watch. (He's 10, FYI) It's not really a trick as much as it is parents not being involved enough in parenting their children, or maybe just not even caring.

Sims has a teen rating and I think that is fair rating. I also don't think Katy Perry or EA is trying to market to children. Have you seen her videos? While I think they are cute and fun/funny there is not a chance in heck that I would allow my son to watch them. No, just no way. And I'm not bashing her about that either. If any parent allows their children to watch things like that I don't see those same parents having an issue purchasing this for their children either.

And not for nothing but I don't let my son play sims anyway, he's got a few more years yet before I feel comfortable with that.

Post Reply Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
Go to: