Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Uninstalling expansion packs/base game?  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Tolora

My Sims game was working fine for about ten months, then all of a sudden it got to where I couldn't play the game for more than five minutes without it crashing to my desktop.
I've tried everything - disabling CC, clearing my game cache, playing the game in window mode, turning my anti virus off, and it just will not work so I've decided to just uninstall and reinstall it.

But my question is do I have to uninstall my expansion packs first (I have Pets & Generations), and THEN my base game, or will just uninstalling the base game uninstall the expansion packs too?

also- any precautions I should know about before uninstalling? I've heard horror stories of people uninstalling their games and then the games refusing to reinstall.

thanks!

(PS. I'm running a Gateway PC, the graphics card is ati mobility radeon hd 4250, I can't remember my RAM but I know it's high enough to run the game. just in case any of that matters)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/06/12 03:29 PM

Purplefreak3

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and have not had any issues. You just go to your windows control panel and select "uninstall a program" and then select the expansions and then do base afterwards
Tolora

okay, thanks. do you think that will solve the problem of my game crashing to my desktop?
Citrusmoon

If you really want to do a clean uninstall, you should do the Manual Uninstall because control panel uninstall will leave behind files/folders/key that needs to be cleaned.
How to: https://help.ea.com/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3

Reinstalling the game without cleaning properly can cause various issues when you try to play the game again.

Tolora

Citrusmoon wrote:If you really want to do a clean uninstall, you should do the Manual Uninstall because control panel uninstall will leave behind files/folders/key that needs to be cleaned.
How to: https://help.ea.com/article/manually-uninstalling-the-sims-3

Reinstalling the game without cleaning properly can cause various issues when you try to play the game again.

thanks! okay, so when I'm getting the part where I delete "the sims 3" from the Electronic Arts folder, do I delete my expansion packs+my base game all at once, or do I delete them one by one and just do the process until they're all gone?
Simsister2004

Tolora wrote:I've tried everything - disabling CC, clearing my game cache, playing the game in window mode, turning my anti virus off,

Did you try to check out your amount of GB memory? And did you try to defrag your harddrive before playing? Just some little suggestions.
Tolora

okay, I'm having a problem. on the part where I'm in Program Files and I'm supposed to right click "Tools", there is not tools folder.
I'm on a 64 bit symstem, is the folder maybe under a different name?
Citrusmoon

Ugg, I found more result using the search:
https://help.ea.com/search?q=uninstalling+sims

You might need to do separately if you want clean install =/

At the beginning, make sure you follow the steps on backup on save data + registry (once at the beginning should be fine).
Then the rest is to follow Delete the game files (in the default location): + Delete the registry keys: + Delete the uninstall files:

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/06/12 04:23 PM

Citrusmoon

Tolora wrote:okay, I'm having a problem. on the part where I'm in Program Files and I'm supposed to right click "Tools", there is not tools folder.

That's not a folder. That's one of the options on top of your windows explorer (NOT IE).
Or otherwise, press Alt+T

Tolora

Citrusmoon wrote:
Tolora wrote:okay, I'm having a problem. on the part where I'm in Program Files and I'm supposed to right click "Tools", there is not tools folder.

That's not a folder. That's one of the options on top of your windows explorer (NOT IE).
Or otherwise, press Alt+T

haha yeah, I figured that out just a few minutes after I asked that question.

I got everything uninstalled, thanks everyone.
iluvsims300

I have the same problem as you! Did uninstalling it work and solve the problem? And i have a few questions on manually uninstalling it. When i get to the deleting the registry keys section, on number 5. It says delete the sims 3 i tried deleting it and a message appeared saying cannot delete the sims 3 error while deleting key. The same with all of my expansion packs. It wont let me delete anything! like the folders in #'s 8,14,17. How do i fix this?
Hellokitty120934

I had the same problem with the crashing and stuff! I need to uninstall but when I try to it gives me a message saying that "this action can't be completed because a folder or file in it is open in another program" But everything on my computer is closed! Please help idk what to do

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: