Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
question regarding rabbitholes...  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
KylieMarie

okay so my world is sort of supposed to be post apocalyptic themed, and none of the rabbitholes are looking right, so i was just wondering if someone could tell me.. if this would work the same way as a normal rabbit hole. if not... suggstions would be lovely (: thank you

Conorsim

Morning

Yes, putting RHs in basements will work fine - if there's a stairs down to them and if there's enough sims to walk around down there. I think I can spot your stairs in the corner; you may want to make it a bit wider, or perhaps add another stairs nearer to the diner. The diner is a massive hotspot for sims, so whatever you do, give plenty of space at the diner door!

ETA: nice lot, btw

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/11/12 10:43 AM

Rflong7

Hi,

Make sure there are at least two squares of space behind the Diner- Sims will exit there and have to take a few steps or get stuck.
SHadowfiend69

Theres a set of CC I'm using

Basically there doors, but there rabbit holes. so you wont need ugly basements for anything

I still haven't tested anything so I hope they work

KylieMarie

thankyou all so much (: helps alot.

shadowfiend... could you link me to somewhere i could download these??

MFAK

KylieMarie wrote:thankyou all so much (: helps alot.

shadowfiend... could you link me to somewhere i could download these??

There are Jynx's rabbithole rugs on MTS's: http://modthesims.info/d/411270

Also he does the doors but you need to be a member for that : http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53.html (2 minute reg)

Good Luck!

KylieMarie

thankyou

Writin_Reg

Keep in mind everytime there will be a game update - those doors and rugs may quit working until Jinx updates them - and Jinx is very busy - doesn't always get to update right away. It also makes it necessary for the creator to keep placing the world back into CAW to add the updated rugs and doors - which creates another problem if you put the world on the exchange - as the exchange will not let you add the fixed world even if you delete the old one. Then you have to use mods to assign the world a new number to add the world back to the exchange. To me it is craziness and just better if creators do not use CC in their worlds as users cannot remove CC placed in a world in CAW.

But then if you are just making the world for yourself, not planning to add it to the exchange, then it should be fine - or if you do plan to share and don't put it on the exchange to a place that will allow you to re-add the corrected world back for every update - then you will also be fine. The only other problem is people have to keep restarting their game over in the world everytime it is changed unless they don't update their game.

CC in CAW is a vicious circle, and because a creator may use CC, many people who actually know the problems associated with using a world with CC, generally will not download those worlds.

I don't care how perfect a world is - if a creator uses CC I won't download the world because of it - nor will I test a world with CC in it. There are a lot of people like me who have learned the hard way also, as it always ends up making us having to uninstall - reinstall all our games because CC used in CAW forms independents and nothing we do - even uninstalling that world removes all traces of certain CC - especially anything made off of EA meshes like those rugs and doors - so we can get our games back working right.

Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

KylieMarie

i was only planning on using the world for myself i think.. i wouldnt want people telling me its crap haha. i decided to stick with just putting the rabbitholes underneath the buildings anyway.. it just seemed the easier and more reliable option (:

Writin_Reg

For sure. I play several worlds like that and it works perfectly and it stays very stable too.

I wish EA would bite the bullet and actually help creators out by giving them an option with something like jinx's rug and doors. We know it can be done - Lunar lakes has all portals even - so they could create a portal doorway that we could add to builds of our own and not have the problem with their updates that the mods have.

But the cellar thing works perfectly - and one world I play has that style and I have been playing that world for about a year - real time with no issues at all and we have had 2 eps, 2 stuff packs and several updates since I started playing this world.

tjstreak

Writin_Reg wrote: Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

Geeze, weren't you the one gushing about how wonderful these items were? http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-6.html

Or are you planning on taking the Harry Potter world away from your niece? You certainly don't want to corrupt the child by exposing her to evil cc? What sort of auntie are you?

Or, were you just sucking up to the people on the Custom Sims 3?

Jynx's rugs and doors are probably some of the most popular cc in the Sims community. To praise it in one forum while bashing it in another seems a might inconsistent, doesn't it?
tjstreak

Writin_Reg wrote:Of course it is your world and your choice - but in case you did not know the disadvantages of using CC, I felt you should know - as a CC world will lose a lot of interest from those who have already experienced the downfall of using a world that has CC in it. Even 1 piece of CC can break a world added at CAW level.

OK. Name one world with CC which is broken.

For every world you name, I can probably name three worlds without cc which are broken.
tjstreak

Writin_Reg wrote:For sure. I play several worlds like that and it works perfectly and it stays very stable too.

Actually, if you don't do it right, sims will get stuck and cause some serioius lag in your game.

There are all sorts of little tricks that people use, including the move objects cheat and sticking rabbit holes in basements which have the potential to cause some serious game wrecking problems if not done correctly. Also, there are some EA items, like elevators, which are notorious for causing problems.

You are more likely to cause problems for youself by putting rabbit holes in basements than by using Jynx's rabbitholes.

By the way, once you go to the dark side, there are all sorts of things you can start doing with custom rabbit holes. You are not confined to doors and rugs. A while ago, I made this little replacement for the diner:

It's still a work in progress and I have not done much with it lately. But I stuck it in Apaloosa Springs shortly after Pets came out, and it has not caused me any problems yet.
Virvatuli

The issues I ran into with rabbitholes in basement were that a) some of them left shadows above ground and b) the basement must be a minimum size (sometimes quite large!) to cover all rabbithole doors and leave the sims enough space to move. This has limited me a lot since I like to build small worlds with small lots, so I've been "forced" to use Jynx's rabbithole replacements.

While everyone is free to not download a world that has CC, creators shouldn't be afraid of using CC if they want to - as long as they give it proper thought! i.e. "can I solve this without CC", "what do I ask of the downloaders when I use this CC" etc. Jynx rabbit hole replacements happens to be a rather steady piece of CC which probably won't need an update "as long as EA doesn't change the way the rabbitholes work in principle and also they don't start a second complete rebuild of resources like for Pets" (quoted from here: http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-9.html). Go for whatever works best for you, KylieMarie. By the way, I really like the look of that lot!
simsample

tjstreak wrote:
Geeze, weren't you the one gushing about how wonderful these items were? http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-53-page-6.html

There's a difference between using custom content in game play and including it in a world. Writin_Reg is rightly pointing out that custom rabbitholes will need updating, and that packaging the items in the Sims3Pack can be problematic.

To be clear, this is not the same as saying custom content should not be used in a world- it is merely asserting that having CC items packaged in the same Sims3Pack as the world (which can be checked by Custard) is not good.

A better way is to package the CC items in a Sims3Pack separately, so that the player has a choice.

I therefore do not think that writin_Reg is being at all hypocrytical when praising a CC creator.

Post Reply Forum Index » Create a World
Go to: