Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
This Is My Opinion, and I Hope That Once You've Read It, We'll Share Some Similar views  XML
Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
Author Message
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

Hi there, fellow Simmers

I too am a long time Simmer. In fact I've been playing the games for a decade, so when I share my opinion please know that it is indeed an informed opinion and not one based off the fact that I don't find donut-bras appealing.

EA's Sims franchise is not transparent. We don't know how they formulate the Stuff Packs they do or why for that matter, but they obviously thought that The Sims needed some form of celebrity endorsement.
Endorsement isn't SUPPOSED to please current customers, it's there to help encourage a wider audience.
That's why we love Sims, right? Anyone can play it. And even though EA is treading on some of our toes with this whole "candy fun-land" idea, and reincarnating LN in ST but with more features etc., there are people out there who like it, or even who love it the same way we loved LN or Pets (which I personally do not like). People are different! Embrace other's uniquenessness(ness? ness ness ness )

The way I see it, EA TRUSTS their loyal customers enough to take a risk, which I love! We may not know how fruitful that risk is as of yet, but on June 5th, who knows how many new Simmers will be joining the Simming community because of the fact that the game appealed to them? Yes, this SP might not be everyone's cup of tea (it most certainly isn't mine) but sometimes companies or even people for that matter have to take risks.

All I'm saying is that even if this SP is a fluke, EA wanted to try something new, and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. We as Simmers (especially us Old-Timers) should know by now that not every expansion/stuff pack is a great idea to everyone. I mean, remember H&M? IKEA? Those were great endorsements! People complained about the commercialism and unoriginality of it all but before those stuff packs I didn't even know who H&M and IKEA were! Different strokes for different folks.

So the advice I can give to us all is to be patient. We don't have to buy this NOW. Wait for when it's in a sale bin, or something! I myself for the first time ever am having to actually think about whether I want this or not, so don't think I'm some pro-Katy Perry Sweet Treats crazy fan, just a fan of a franchise who has done a lot for me through the tiniest ways, from making me laugh when my I first discovered that in S3 you could Shower... DANGEROUSLY ( ) to when I was going through such a tough time that the only thing I felt comfortable around were my Sims.

EA knows WE don't like it, but who says THEY won't?
Besides, they're not stupid, they've seen what we want, and personally I am rooting for a University EP so badly that I'd probably send gifts and fruit baskets to EA's offices in the Northern hemisphere if (/WHEN ) they decide that University is a viable EP idea that they would be willing to recreate it.

That's just my opinion, I hope that this appealed to both the believers as well as non-believers Haha, have a good evening/morning/afternoon, everyone!

xx GG

Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
SimMommy05


Joined: 06/05/09 04:19 AM
Messages: 2062
Offline

Nice post. I agree with what you said. I honestly don't think EA could ever make a SP or EP that every single person will like. We are all unique individuals with different tastes.

Profile
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

Thanks for understanding! And that's the beauty of this game especially when compared to others, it can be played and enjoyed by anyone!

Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
julienrob2004


Joined: 05/29/09 02:44 PM
Messages: 3792
Location:The UK (where Ep's are released last)
Offline

The biggest issue for me is not the content of this pack its the way Ea seem to have decided that because they have slapped a celebrities name on it they think we should all be grateful here in the UK to pay over 150% more for it than the usual Sp and almost exactly the same price as an EP .
In fact the price advertised is actually more than what i paid to preorder Showtime .
The second point for me is that they suddenly seem that desperate to try and bring in the young KP teen crowd they do not seem bothered any more about the regular players who have paid out a heck of a lot of money over the last 12 years on this franchise .


SMILE . You may not realise how bad everything is. But it sure annoys all the grumpy people and makes you feel better .
Profile
catloverplayer


Joined: 12/10/09 09:30 PM
Messages: 51037
Location:USA
Offline

I'm one of the people who are actually excited for this sp. I love the candy theme and I'm also a Katy Perry fan and as Jennifer said yesterday I will be blown away. nd by the way Graham created the three new lots for this sp.

Not only do I love the objects but also the hairs and outfits. I still however think this sp isn't complete because there is no candy theme for bathrooms. If I'm going to make a candy themed house then the bathroom needs to match and that means the toilet,tub and shower and sink.

This is were the store needs to step in and release a candy themed bathroom set.

The Last Venue Of Amour Coming August 7th From The Sims 3 Store.
Profile
mkryan


Joined: 06/07/09 12:05 AM
Messages: 77
Offline

A well-thought out response. The way I look at it is, this pack will either sell well or it won't. If it does, that's fine because clearly they've made some people happy. If it doesn't, they'll try something different next time. While it may be kinda sucky that I'll have to go a little longer without a Sims pack I really want, it's not the end of the world.
Profile
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

julienrob2004 wrote:The biggest issue for me is not the content of this pack its the way Ea seem to have decided that because they have slapped a celebrities name on it they think we should all be grateful here in the UK to pay over 150% more for it than the usual Sp and almost exactly the same price as an EP .
In fact the price advertised is actually more than what i paid to preorder Showtime .
The second point for me is that they suddenly seem that desperate to try and bring in the young KP teen crowd they do not seem bothered any more about the regular players who have paid out a heck of a lot of money over the last 12 years on this franchise .



I don't mean to sound obtrusive, but did you really Read my post? EA did not drop us and claim that they will not be supporting our voices through their games, they're trusting us for being such loyal followers of the Sims therefore feeling confident in taking a step in a completely new direction. And quite frankly, one or two products released that isn't quite my cup of tea doesn't sound like a reason to jump on a band wagon saying that they "aren't bothered anymore" with their long time fans. And I'm sorry that you have to pay 150% more in the UK, but like I said in my post, wait for it to go on sale then.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/13/12 06:53 PM


Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

catloverplayer wrote:I'm one of the people who are actually excited for this sp. I love the candy theme and I'm also a Katy Perry fan and as Jennifer said yesterday I will be blown away. nd by the way Graham created the three new lots for this sp.

Not only do I love the objects but also the hairs and outfits. I still however think this sp isn't complete because there is no candy theme for bathrooms. If I'm going to make a candy themed house then the bathroom needs to match and that means the toilet,tub and shower and sink.

This is were the store needs to step in and release a candy themed bathroom set.


You see, and THAT is how EA is clever in their marketing, because they know that KPSW is a risk, they'll see that if there are Simmers like you who enjoy the game enough, you'll want to expand it (and in your situation, create candy bathrooms), EA isn't blind to the forums, they see our requests and take note. Know why? Because the reason they're as big as they are is because of us, the fans.

Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
DebbieGC


Joined: 07/25/09 06:46 PM
Messages: 294
Location:Texas
Offline

If you listen to/watch the live chat they said this SP has way more items, clothes, hair styles, etc. than a regular stuff pack. That's why it also has a higher price tag.

LOL @ TS4 haters

You'll probably buy it eventually!
Profile
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

mkryan wrote:A well-thought out response. The way I look at it is, this pack will either sell well or it won't. If it does, that's fine because clearly they've made some people happy. If it doesn't, they'll try something different next time. While it may be kinda sucky that I'll have to go a little longer without a Sims pack I really want, it's not the end of the world.


Exactly my point, and we as the Simmers/Simmers-to-come should be here to let them know what works best or doesn't whether it be through not buying the game or forum rants. Just not in such a way that doesn't allow other people to express their opinions/approval/disapproval of the game because what I've noticed happening in these parts is that people are oppressing other's opinions because they're different to theirs. That's not right.

Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
GenuineGem


Joined: 05/30/09 08:52 PM
Messages: 57
Location:South Africa
Offline

DebbieGC wrote:If you listen to/watch the live chat they said this SP has way more items, clothes, hair styles, etc. than a regular stuff pack. That's why it also has a higher price tag.


Yup, it's hard work! Plus, I'm sure Katy herself would like some compensation for such extensive face-time

Some people do drugs; I play Sims. They're basically the same thing.
Profile
Arletta


Joined: 06/09/09 07:54 AM
Messages: 5874
Offline

GenuineGem wrote:
DebbieGC wrote:If you listen to/watch the live chat they said this SP has way more items, clothes, hair styles, etc. than a regular stuff pack. That's why it also has a higher price tag.


Yup, it's hard work! Plus, I'm sure Katy herself would like some compensation for such extensive face-time


Yeah, but strangely nobody will give an approximate number. Odd that. We get the spin that it's got dozens more than a regular SP.

Why should I pay extra because EA decided they want a new draw btw? If they want a new draw so be it, but bringing that cost to me is downright unfair.

Got nothing against the SP, except that they'd charge me £24.99, up from £9.99, and I'll still pay over the odds for being overseas.

Much as I would like to celebrate the new and unique direction they're taking it (as in alienating long term customers, or most of them) I'm not going to give them £24.99 for them to be different.

I respect other ppl's rights to like it, just don't expect me to be the same.

To err is human. To blame a computer is even more human.

http://arlettats3.blogspot.co.uk/
Profile
Evil_One


Joined: 06/05/09 11:28 AM
Messages: 3443
Location:Inside your head

Arletta wrote:
GenuineGem wrote:
DebbieGC wrote:If you listen to/watch the live chat they said this SP has way more items, clothes, hair styles, etc. than a regular stuff pack. That's why it also has a higher price tag.


Yup, it's hard work! Plus, I'm sure Katy herself would like some compensation for such extensive face-time


Yeah, but strangely nobody will give an approximate number. Odd that. We get the spin that it's got dozens more than a regular SP.

Why should I pay extra because EA decided they want a new draw btw? If they want a new draw so be it, but bringing that cost to me is downright unfair.

Got nothing against the SP, except that they'd charge me £24.99, up from £9.99, and I'll still pay over the odds for being overseas.

Much as I would like to celebrate the new and unique direction they're taking it (as in alienating long term customers, or most of them) I'm not going to give them £24.99 for them to be different.

I respect other ppl's rights to like it, just don't expect me to be the same.


Agreed!

The Sims Team has already admitted that they listen more to Twitter and Facebook then they do to us, and the recent 'live-chat' was nothing more then propaganda, designed to make it look as though loads of people want this SP, and then there was the community poll ages ago in which social features for The Sims 3 came in dead last (yet we got showtime out of it).

If that isn't abandoning long time Sims fans I don't know what is!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/13/12 07:29 PM


Profile
catloverplayer


Joined: 12/10/09 09:30 PM
Messages: 51037
Location:USA
Offline

mkryan wrote:A well-thought out response. The way I look at it is, this pack will either sell well or it won't. If it does, that's fine because clearly they've made some people happy. If it doesn't, they'll try something different next time. While it may be kinda sucky that I'll have to go a little longer without a Sims pack I really want, it's not the end of the world.
\

I really hope this sp sells well. I think so far I'm the only one that has it preordered at my local Gamestop. I really want this sp to sell so maybe we can get more unique stuff in the future.

Also I'm still hoping before the end of the year we'll see a holiday stuff pack. I have suggested it to Jennifer. We had one in the sims 2 and I own that one. I know the teen sp won the poll but I'd really like to see a holiday stuff pack first.

The Last Venue Of Amour Coming August 7th From The Sims 3 Store.
Profile
jeanamariex3


Joined: 01/29/11 04:26 AM
Messages: 1159
Location:Corner of 8 Mile XD
Offline

I agree with everything the OP says. Everyone is flipping out about the price, and the content, and acting like the people who WANT it and think it's smart is patronizing those who DON'T want it.

Sims is about BEING DIFFERENT! Playing YOUR STYLE! I love Pets, but the next person doesn't that's okay. I won't stab you for it. And EA is smart. They took someone who was involved before, and obviously plays like the rest of us. I like the fun trendy clothes at H&M and loved them forever. So I'm drawn toward the SP because of it. Others don't.

If this were 1997-98, we would have the Spice Girls. Why? Because the Spice Girls were HUGE! They had unique hairstyles and memorable outfits. (Ginger's outfits weren't even CLOSE to today's standards), they had catchy songs. I would be begging mom for this as a Christmas gift in 97 through 98!

If EA wasn't smart, and was trying to attract ONLY young tweens/teens, they would be endorsing Hannah Montana, Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, or Demi Lovato. I wouldn't be buying at all. Most of those sales will be TEENS with their babysitting funds, or their parents buying it for them.

Sims is not supposed to be REALISTIC. It's a life simulator, with bits of realism, but it's not suppose to be FULL ON! It's for teens and adults, not children learning how to make friends etc. I'm not big on cars, so I won't be buying Fast Lane unless I get it for free. But someone who likes cars would like it. The Stuff Pack has that perfect balance with what the game is about: realism, but with heavy unrealistic undertones.


Profile
 
Forum Index » Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
Go to: