Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Problem with Game Resolution  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
rayyung

Hi,

I am having trouble setting Sims 3 to run at 1680 x 1050, which is the native resolution for my LCD monitor. I can run 1680 x 1050 no problem in Windows.

I know my video card and the this game can support it because I ran this game with that resolution for years. It just happen recently that one day my options are restore to default and I can't change to 1680 x 1050 anymore in the game. The 1680x1050 has disappeared from options.

I try change the option.ini file manually to 1680 1050 60 but it keep changing back to the default (1024x768). I confirm I am running the correct video driver and I have tried reinstall and update the driver.

I call EA support and I was told this forum is the Official support channel, can some one help me on the resolution? It looks real ugly running non-native resolution and the menu is way to big for me now.
Thanks,

video card: Nvidia GTX 460 w/1G ram
Driver version: 296.10 (which is the latest release version), I tried 310.24 beta too but no help
base game version: 1.33.2.015017
pets version: 10.0.96.013017
launcher version: 10.0.96.015017

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/24/12 05:45 AM

Nichaedemus

Hi,

The graphics options of the game application are usually reset after performing a video driver update. From what you describe, it seems that using the monitor's native screen resolution in the game is not possible with the newer versions of the NVidia drivers.

Does the LCD monitor support a 75Hz refresh rate? If it does, you can try manually setting the screen resolution in the INI file as follows:

1680 1050 75

If that does not work, another thing to try is to create a custom NVidia profile for the game to use the designated screen resolution. Another option is to revert back to older NVidia drivers, though we do not recommend this as that can cause problems when new game updates are released. As always you can run the game in windowed mode which can be toggled on or off by pressing ALT-Enter on your keyboard.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/24/12 10:51 PM

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
rayyung

Thanks Nichaedemus for answering.

Unfortunately, changing the ini file to 1080 1050 75 didn't work. It still revert to 1024*768 and 1680*1050 75Hz works in Windows...

I would like to try the profile b4 I start downgrading video driver. Do you mean create a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change resolution -> Customize?
I have created a few but I will keep trying different combinations. Do you know what Color depth Sims 3 runs? (16bit or 32bit)

I don't really like windows mode coz I use edge scrolling. And I can't get 1680*1050 in windows mode neither...

Thanks again,
rayyung

I just reinstalled an older driver and the 1680*1050 options is still missing......
bob007

This is perplexing because my Nvidia 9800 has that resolution available in game. If you can run windows at that resolution then the driver is fine and the problem is most likely in the game. Color depth should be 32 bit. Did you patch or anything when this happened? Did you change any hardware? Ya right - this is the Official support channel. The pay is really lousy. Is this a laptop? Please post make and model. Is this a laptop that has 2 graphics chips? Could be the laptop is not switching correctly and that's the game is detecting the integrated video chip (maybe).

rayyung

Bob,
Ya, I was shocked when that lady from EA support said the forum is the official support channel... and she isn't that helpful. Anyway, I have been using this Video card for a while and the mother board does not have built-in video card. It a self-build PC.
bob007

(scratching head sound)

If Windows is detecting the video card the game should id the card the same way. The problem is the game may have reset (for whatever reason) and I don't think the 460 is in the game database so it doesn't know how to configure it (a guess). Are there any other resolutions available in game? Please post motherboard make and model.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/26/12 12:08 AM

rayyung

Out of frustration, I went to the store and buy another video card. Thinking maybe my card is bad.
I got a GTX560 but I am still geting the same problem......

Please help me

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: