Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Needed to REMOVE the Deep Fryer and Icer Cream Maker...  XML
Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
MaxQBaker

as soon as they were installed, i gave them a test run and instantly loved them.

Then I discovered that my sims family was magically addicted to both machines. For the remainder of the time I had them playing ( a couple sims days ) they just kept going back - over and over - to the ice cream machine and deep fryer - literally eating themselves fat, and till they puked (yes, literally puking in the virtual toilet). They missed work. They missed parties. They missed school. They were too busy standing impatiently in line in the filthy kitchen with the flies (because the filth and plates pile up fast) waiting to get their insatiable fix.

As much as I like these items, I think EA needs to patch them a bit to kill the autonomous reaction to them... or maybe add another interaction to be able to turn them off when you don't want them used.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 03:57 AM

amjoie

MaxQBaker wrote:as soon as they were installed, i gave them a test run and instantly loved them.

Then I discovered that my sims family was magically addicted to both machines. For the remainder of the time I had them playing ( a couple sims days ) they just kept going back - over and over - to the ice cream machine and deep fryer - literally eating themselves fat, and till they puked (yes, literally puking in the virtual toilet). They missed work. They missed parties. They missed school. They were too busy standing impatiently in line in the filthy kitchen with the flies (because the filth and plates pile up fast) waiting to get their insatiable fix.

As much as I like these items, I think EA needs to patch them a bit to kill the autonomous reaction to them... or maybe add another interaction to be able to turn them off when you don't want them used.

This is happening to my sim, also. Here is the thread, including pics, both with static motives and also without any cheats being used (pics on the next page for no cheats):

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/533568.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 05:10 AM

The social whirl makes me dizzy, so though I am beginning to feel guilty about it, I must remain at zero friends. But thank you for your requests.
MaxQBaker

amjoie wrote:
MaxQBaker wrote:as soon as they were installed, i gave them a test run and instantly loved them.

This is happening to my sim, also. Here is the thread, including pics, both with static motives and also without any cheats being used (pics on the next page for no cheats):

Perhaps it is related to 'Static Needs' being on. I had that setting on as well, and had the obsessed ice cream/fryer addicts like you had.

When I noticed you also mentioned static needs, I put the ice cream maker back in the game - saw usual throng of sims line up to to indulge non-stop - then I shut off Static Needs, and there was definitely a change for the better in the response to the ice cream maker.

That does not mean that the items shuld not be fixed. Sims should not obsessive over food items ever - especially not when static needs are on.

But if there is a workaround, that is soemthing at least.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 05:46 AM

StephBE

My computer's broken so I can't test them, I was very kindly gifted the set. If anything is to go wrong it normally does for me so I hope this glitch is sorted out, it must be driving you nuts.

But I must admit that the way you described the situation had me lol! (Sorry )

SimGuruAims

Hi Guys! Sorry you are having an issue with this...copying (and making a bit more general) the response I posted on the other thread about this same issue:

First: The static needs cheat you've been using is designed to keep your needs static, not necessarily to prevent interactions (however, as a byproduct of the static needs cheat, many interactions are prevented, though not as a function of the design). We believe that to get your desired results (for screen grabs and such), if you turn off autonomy in the option menu, you'll find that your active Sim and the Sims in your household are not going to get Ice Cream or Deep Fried Food without you telling them to do so. Hope that works for you!

Incidentally, but very important, this behavior is ONLY related to using the static needs cheat with autonomy enabled... so for people who are not using these specific settings, there should be no problem playing with autonomy enabled.

Second: When you have all cheats disabled, and you put your Sim into the kitchen with the Deep Fryer and Ice Cream Maker objects, because they advertise to fulfill both FUN and HUNGER needs, if there are no other object on the lot which they can interact with to fulfill these needs your Sims will return to them over and over as their fun (or hunger) need decays.

Do either of this situations describe the particular trouble you are having? If not, please let us know!

Otherwise, hope this info helps! Sorry again if these issues have caused you trouble!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 06:06 PM

ivinian

SimGuruAims, thanks for the clarification. I really don't want to turn off autonomy, though, and I only play with the static mode on. Is this situation going to be resolved? Because otherwise, as much as I like the idea of these toys, I'm not buying them if they're going to wreak that much havoc in my game.

Also, I hate to thread hijack, but any word on the spellbook getting fixed? I'm getting increasingly annoyed with it resetting my Sims every time they try to use it. The premium content situation is really shameful of late. I'm definitely not buying more content if the stuff I already have is still broken!

My studio -- c'mon by and take a peek! ** CC-free.
MaxQBaker

ivinian wrote:SimGuruAims, thanks for the clarification. I really don't want to turn off autonomy, though, and I only play with the static mode on. Is this situation going to be resolved? Because otherwise, as much as I like the idea of these toys, I'm not buying them if they're going to wreak that much havoc in my game.

SimGuru: I had noticed and appreciated your reply in the other forum, and was just about to copy your reply (with a link to the original page) here when I saw you had already done so.

I use Static Needs and High Autonomy, so I fit the profile for the bug.

Like the person above me noted, for a temporary situation, I don't mind updating sliders manually or something, but I still think this behavior should be fixed to be consistent with other food objects. Hopefully a patch will be released.

To the spellbook question above me, someone (not EA) had released a package file - which - if placed in the mods folder - prevents this spellbook glitch from happening. I had downloaded it and it worked quite well, but a link to the download was hard to find. And when I did find it, it was hosted on one of those share sites that often also tries to shove spyware on your computer, so I will not share the link (I don't actually remember the link, but it was called "spellbook fix.package"

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/27/12 07:59 PM

laidlaw

can someone help me, i am trying to change my user name
MaxQBaker

laidlaw wrote:can someone help me, i am trying to change my user name

I'm sorry. I have never tried to change my username, so I honestly do not know. Hopefully someone (user or SimGuru) can help you. Have you tried the Help Live Chat ? This might be a case where they have the scripts/recommendations to help.

SimGuruAims

ivinian wrote:SimGuruAims, thanks for the clarification. I really don't want to turn off autonomy, though, and I only play with the static mode on. Is this situation going to be resolved? Because otherwise, as much as I like the idea of these toys, I'm not buying them if they're going to wreak that much havoc in my game.

Also, I hate to thread hijack, but any word on the spellbook getting fixed? I'm getting increasingly annoyed with it resetting my Sims every time they try to use it. The premium content situation is really shameful of late. I'm definitely not buying more content if the stuff I already have is still broken!

First, we can't give specific dates, but a fix for the Spellbook is coming...watch the boards/site for info!

Second, we understand your desire to not turn off autonomy, and we enable cheats like "static mode" so that you can play the game as you would like to play it.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions so we can have a little more insight into how this problem is effecting your game and understand a bit more about why you play the particular way that you do? (And anybody who would like to answer these questions is welcome to do so...the more info we get, the better ).

Why do you like playing with static motives? Is it more about managing a lot of Sims at the same time, are you building certain scenarios, are you turning these on and off based on the pack you are playing or the situation your Sim is in (like tomb exploring, etc?)

When you are playing with static motives enabled and autonomy on, what is your expectation for the Sims behavior? (I'm asking this question because many of the Sims' autonomous interactions are a byproduct of their needs- and when these are set to static, there is a great reduction in what the Sims will do (interactions) without your direction. I'm speculating that you are probably playing more (watching, having fun with) the trait based behaviors. Is that the case? Just want to make sure we fully understand the benefits you are getting with this type of game play.

What undesirable difference do you see in your game when you have enabled static motives with autonomy on, and then you turn autonomy off? Trying to figure out what is missing for you (your Sims) when static motives are enabled and autonomy is off?

Thanks for answers to these questions if you have them!

Lastly regarding this section of your post:
"The premium content situation is really shameful of late."

We are really sorry you feel that way! Our team works really diligently and with a lot of passion to build what we believe are really fantastic and valuable pieces of content/ features/ new experiences for our players. We think our players are the best, and we love the idea that the content we create makes their game more fun, and brings some happiness to their world. Our whole team believes that if the content you purchase isn't making you happy, that's a problem, and we are looking into it right now. So thanks for your feedback, we really do appreciate it!

MaxQBaker

SimGuruAims wrote:

First, we can't give specific dates, but a fix for the Spellbook is coming...watch the boards/site for info!

Second, we understand your desire to not turn off autonomy, and we enable cheats like "static mode" so that you can play the game as you would like to play it.

Would you mind answering a couple of questions so we can have a little more insight into how this problem is effecting your game and understand a bit more about why you play the particular way that you do? (And anybody who would like to answer these questions is welcome to do so...the more info we get, the better ).

Why do you like playing with static motives? Is it more about managing a lot of Sims at the same time, are you building certain scenarios, are you turning these on and off based on the pack you are playing or the situation your Sim is in (like tomb exploring, etc?)

When you are playing with static motives enabled and autonomy on, what is your expectation for the Sims behavior? (I'm asking this question because many of the Sims' autonomous interactions are a byproduct of their needs- and when these are set to static, there is a great reduction in what the Sims will do (interactions) without your direction. I'm speculating that you are probably playing more (watching, having fun with) the trait based behaviors. Is that the case? Just want to make sure we fully understand the benefits you are getting with this type of game play.

What undesirable difference do you see in your game when you have enabled static motives with autonomy on, and then you turn autonomy off? Trying to figure out what is missing for you (your Sims) when static motives are enabled and autonomy is off?

We are really sorry you feel that way! Our team works really diligently and with a lot of passion to build what we believe are really fantastic and valuable pieces of content/ features/ new experiences for our players. We think our players are the best, and we love the idea that the content we create makes their game more fun, and brings some happiness to their world. Our whole team believes that if the content you purchase isn't making you happy, that's a problem, and we are looking into it right now. So thanks for your feedback, we really do appreciate it!

I leave Aging on and Story Progression on (in-game story progression, not a mod version).

If I like a particular Sim and want them to stay in the game even if I switch to a different family for a while, I will take advantage of Generations Young Again potion and/or Aging Freeze.

I leave High Autonomy on because - like Story Progression - it is fun to give the sim a chance to do something surprising when I am not explicitly playing them (and / or give them a chance to build a skill if they want to play guitar all night, etc. while I concentrate on someone else.)

I play the game one of two ways (different world/save files)

1. Legacy style families with no cheats used, no static motives, etc. Just pure Sims starting out with nothing, trying to succeed in life and build an empire/career or family. (But i have to be in a particular mood to do these legacy challenges.)

2. Static Needs on and Autonomy on. (Autonomy reason already mentioned above.) This allows me to focus on exploring what the game has to offer from the new expansion packs and makes better use of my personal time since I am not worrying about decaying motives. I can get to level 10 Equestrian/Singer/Acrobat/Fireman, etc. in a more direct path.

Static needs is a chance to explore details you might easily never see while playing 'legacy' style games.

I will try the suggestion later today of Static Needs on and Autonomy off. Will be interesting to see what difference I find (if any) from my normal gameplay. And if the Ice Cream and Fryer work, all the better. They are really beautiful objects, and very fun (when sims aren't making themselves sick over them like junkies )

Thanks!

EDIT:
I just tried Static Needs on and Autonomy Off. The bug with the ice cream/dryer did NOT happen, but all of my sims just stood around looking very boring unless I specifically told them to do something, which kills the illusion of a living/dynamic hosuehold.
Maybe I didn't give the game long enough to rev up its engine, but that's my first feedback of autonomy off.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/27/12 08:42 PM

Amykara

SimGuruAims wrote:Hi Guys! Sorry you are having an issue with this...copying (and making a bit more general) the response I posted on the other thread about this same issue:

First: The static needs cheat you've been using is designed to keep your needs static, not necessarily to prevent interactions (however, as a byproduct of the static needs cheat, many interactions are prevented, though not as a function of the design). We believe that to get your desired results (for screen grabs and such), if you turn off autonomy in the option menu, you'll find that your active Sim and the Sims in your household are not going to get Ice Cream or Deep Fried Food without you telling them to do so. Hope that works for you!

Incidentally, but very important, this behavior is ONLY related to using the static needs cheat with autonomy enabled... so for people who are not using these specific settings, there should be no problem playing with autonomy enabled.

Second: When you have all cheats disabled, and you put your Sim into the kitchen with the Deep Fryer and Ice Cream Maker objects, because they advertise to fulfill both FUN and HUNGER needs, if there are no other object on the lot which they can interact with to fulfill these needs your Sims will return to them over and over as their fun (or hunger) need decays.

Do either of this situations describe the particular trouble you are having? If not, please let us know!

Otherwise, hope this info helps! Sorry again if these issues have caused you trouble!

I really want this set and I know you would HATE this idea but still. As us Fans have stuck by EA (and their failures) we should ALL get ONE day were you can buy one or two items for free.
This is just stupid.
(Sorry off topic )

"Negativity isn't the way to go, smile more, eat some chocolate" - Ed Sheeran
amjoie

SimGuruAims wrote:Second, we understand your desire to not turn off autonomy, and we enable cheats like "static mode" so that you can play the game as you would like to play it.

I play with aging off. No story progression. I give every sim the maximum amount of money. Only a few sims have careers, and they are usually professions that I enjoy watching, although some of my sims are authors. (While they write, I enjoy reading a book on my iPad, and occasionally looking at the fireplace in the game, or watching a couple of cats playing. A quiet afternoon or evening in the study.)

I play with static motives. I also play with regular motives. I leave high autonomy on all the time, because I don't care to micromanage. Especially pets. And I would tend to forget to turn it back on, which would result in dead sims.

I use static motives for many reasons. I mentioned tomb exploration as one reason, in my other thread. Another reason is when I want to ignore how very quickly time passes in the sim world. For instance, I may want to watch the waves roll in at the beach, while my sim fishes. I want to relax, and enjoy the moment. I cannot do that if I have to worry about my sim getting hungry, needing to go to the bathroom, shower, etc. I want, at that time, to enjoy the beautiful world you have created for us. I don't want to compete. I don't want to meet a goal. I just want to live inside a tranquil world.

Sometimes, instead "sitting" with my sim, I take my sim on a walkabout. We walk all over the world, enjoying it from a "you are there" perspective. I can't be worried about my sim's energy running out, etc. We are out on a beautiful day, walking and enjoying the world. Since all my sims love the outdoors, they have no objection to these excursions.

I also refuse to live under normal constraints when my sim is riding a horse, and I dearly wish I could get rid of the sore saddle moodlets, because if I am ignoring how fast a sim day happens to be normally, I don't want to be reminded of it when my sim is living in a world without time.

I use static motives when I train toddlers. I prefer to not be stopped in the middle of a training lesson. I also prefer not to be stopped when my sim is reading to toddlers, taking them on a stroll, etc.

I like static motives for when I am busy with one sim (pursuing a new romantic relationship, for instance), and I want the rest of the large household to be in roughly the same condition as I left them. This includes several pets. It gives me both the benefits of a large family with pets, and also the playability of a single sim who has my undivided attention, as if they were my only sim.

I use static motives when I want to take my sim out on the town, for socializing. The last thing I want to think about is decaying motives, when my sims are trying to have a good time in all the wonderful venues I have customized for their enjoyment.

In these instances, and others like them, I guess you could say that I am not "playing your game." I am, instead, a loving goddess living alongside my little creatures that I created, while they (and I) enjoy the beautiful world that you have created and that I have customized for them. I maintain control only insofar as it pleases me, at that moment, and only enough to safeguard their welfare. Other than that, "life" is sufficient, and the pleasure of the moment is the only goal.

To put it succinctly, I prefer eternity to time, and I prefer paradise to earth. I want my sim to live in a perfect world, with few constraints -- a peaceful world of pure joy, with no threat of death. I can make that kind of world, both with my imagination and with the use of cheats. Where I cannot, I improvise. Or find a mod, if I am playing my real game. (I do not use mods in test games, because mods may introduce unnecessary instability or distract me from purpose, in a test game.)

I am well aware that what I describe would bore some people to tears. But I am an old lady, confined to my bed. My life is quiet. I take things slow. Playing the sims gives me an illusion of being young and healthy, of being outdoors, of riding horses, taking walks, etc.

I don't need stress or challenging goals. I don't need competition, even against myself. I don't need to rev up or rock out. I don't need to be striving toward something, and I don't need to accomplish something.

I just want to enjoy "life" in whatever capacity I may find enjoyment. I enjoy my sims. I enjoy building houses and decorating rooms. I enjoy customizing worlds. I enjoy creating. That is what I want from the game you have created. And since my idea of what this game should be, and EA's idea of what this game should be, rather constantly conflict, I make do, to the best of my ability.

I do, occasionally, feel the need to fully concentrate on something, to the exclusion of all else. At those times, I immerse myself in the business of keeping motives stable and fully managing sims. I can only do that for short bursts of time before I wear myself out, but it can be a lot of fun, when I'm in that kind of mood.

I would not be able to really enjoy the sims, though, if that were the only option for play. I know this, because I have to pace myself when testing a new expansion. At that point, I am trying to discover what the expansion offers in new game play. I play strictly by the rules, with no cheats. And I cannot endure, for long.

I hope you understand that having the ice cream machine and the deep fryer will add enjoyment to my game, and I was very excited to get them. But if I can only use them without the possibility of static motives ever being on, well, my choice would be clear. Sigh.

I touched on the need for me to not forget turning high autonomy back on. But I have other reasons for wanting it on. With static motives on, I can instruct a cat to play with a toy. The cat will continue to play with the toy for as long as it is not interrupted. If high autonomy is turned off, however, the cat will not play. It will do nothing. Everything is boring, unrealistic. Almost lifeless. It gives me shivers just to think about it.

I hope that helps you understand. I think of myself as being atypical, because I am older than most players. Or, at least I think I am. Then again, many, many people have been playing sims since The Sims(1), through The Sims 2, and now well into The Sims 3. The years do have a way of sliding one into the next. It is just possible that I may not be as small a minority as I might imagine.

As far as your welcome comments on premium content and other store content, I am thrilled that we have been hearing more from you, recently, in the forum. It helps so very much to have contact, and to know real people are listening to us.

I have derived much satisfaction and pleasure from store content, since the beginning of The Sims 3. I have enjoyed "shopping" online. With a few exceptions, I have been pleased with the content. It would be nice if the exceptions could be fixed. I'm sure you have seen the list of things needing fixing that keeps turning up in the forum. You would have a much easier job of satisfying people with current and future content, if they did not have a list of failed content on the back of their minds.

Let me put it this way: The arguments you hear and the ire that is often raised is never, ever, about just one thing. Ever. People are so tolerant of mistakes, because we all make them. But as the incidents increase, the fuses shorten. And the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back comes into play. EA is now at the stage where the straw is starting to weaken the camels knees. Before it becomes back-breaking, EA needs first to correct past mistakes, and then start building trust, again. People will demand no less.

At times like these, people hold onto an admission of a problem, with or without apology, and the promise of a coming fix. They hold on with both hands, while holding their breath -- hoping against hope that it signals a permanent change for the better. They want to like EA. They want to believe they can have a trouble-free game. They just need a reason to hope, and then they need their hopes realized. If you can manage to fulfill hope, you can turn public opinion around.

From my perspective, fixing the fireplace in the Fiesta set would go a long way toward giving me hope for the future. It was the broken fireplace that really set me off. Yes, the deep fryer and ice cream machine need to be fixed, but for some reason, the fireplace was what tipped it over. I suppose because just lighting the fire would have been enough to find the problem.

But what do I know. Maybe the wrong/old version was added to the store by mistake, and a perfect working fireplace is still sitting on someone's computer instead of finding its way into the store, itself. These things can happen. And you will find me so very understanding and willing to forget, once the correct fireplace is in my game.

I have been very open and blunt with you, because you were kind enough to start the dialog. I trust you understand that I have offered my comments with only the best of intentions.

I am not even going to try to proofread this. Please overlook grammatical or spelling errors. I am getting tired, and things tend to fuzz when that happens.

The social whirl makes me dizzy, so though I am beginning to feel guilty about it, I must remain at zero friends. But thank you for your requests.
KatzMeowz

What about the disappearing Tree of Prosperity?? LL's been out for a while too and that's a known problem.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 04/28/12 11:28 AM

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."--Sherlock Holmes
amjoie

SimGuruAims, if you have not read the other thread this morning, please use the link below to find Writin_Reg conclusions after testing for several hours in multiple houses, in an unmodded game, without using any cheats. Her conclusions have been verified by other people, as well. Details in the other thread, linked below.

Since this is now happening to multiple people, in unmodded and no-cheat games, it needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Forum Index » Technical Discussions (EN)
Go to: