Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Codes redeemed but unable to download...  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
cyberdracos

Hi,

For the past couple of years I have been getting increasingly frustrated that every time I buy a code to buy anything for my Sims game...I cannot download it. It's all there on my purchase history, but as soon as I hit download all it says is "unknown error occurred". I've just bought the code for barnacle bay and hidden springs and it's the same.

Please Guru's what do I do? What is causing this?

Dan
cyberdracos

And in fact I've just checked and hidden springs hasn't turned up in my purchase history and it's lost my simpoints it's credited me with to buy hidden springs.

Gurus this is all making me sad that I can't play Sims 3 the way I was promised i would be able to
Nichaedemus

Hi,

Is your base game fully patched? The latest version for the base game in Mac OS X is 1.33 at the time of this posting. The base game will need to be fully patched in order to download and install Store content, especially the newer items and sets.

To find out your base game version number, you will need to access the skuversion information. To find the base game skuversion information under Mac OS X, use Finder and navigate to where the base game has been installed. By default this will be in the Applications folder. Now right-click on the base game icon and select "Show Package Contents." This will open up a new Finder window. Now look for a file named info.plist and open it. When the file is opened, look for the following text string:

<key>ClientBuild</key>

The line of text directly underneath should indicate the current version number of the base game. When you are done viewing the file, close it without saving.

If the base game is fully patched and the issue persists, what I suggest in this case is to use the in-game Shop Mode to download and install your Store content. For more details, please refer to the following link:

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=211983

Should you require further assistance with Store content not appearing in your Purchase History, you may contact Support via the following page:

https://help.ea.com/connect-with-us

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
rainstormed

You may also want to try this:

Steps:
1. Open Macintosh HD
2. Open the Library folder
3. Open Preferences
4. Once in that Preferences folder you will want to move "The Sims 3 Preferences" as well as any "com.transgaming" and "ipatcher" files you find to the trash.
5. Empty your trash

If you have lion the first two steps are going to be different. You'll want to make sure that finder is selected, then select Go from the menu bar at the top of the screen. Hit the Option button, then click on Library. After that everything is the same.

I found this another thread from a couple months ago for another person who had the "unknown error occurred" problem. She never got back to me, so I don't know if it actually worked.

I hope you get everything sorted out soon!
cyberdracos

Hi Nich,

Um yeah that never really worked for me either. After one particular expansion pack, the ability to download anything, either from the launcher, in game or through the store website just stopped and that annoying error message started up.

And to top it all, I can't now download the new patch without it crashing
cyberdracos

Hi Rainstormed,

Thanks but I couldn't find any of those files to delete.

Nichaedemus

If you are unable to update the base game to the latest version via the launcher, a manual update can be performed instead. To that end you can check out the following thread for more details:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/477464.page

Need assistance with The Sims 3? Visit the Master Help Thread today!
notmerad

I will try what you have said and see if it works. Thanks for the help! I was having the same problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/13/12 03:38 PM

notmerad

Nichaedemus wrote:If you are unable to update the base game to the latest version via the launcher, a manual update can be performed instead. To that end you can check out the following thread for more details:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/477464.page

I am going to ask this question here as well as the thread from the link you gave since this thread is more updated. When we are done downloading the manual update can I open it and it will update itself or do I need to manually put it somewhere? Is there a thread that already addresses this process?

Thanks for all of your help so far.

UPDATE:

This worked like a charm! I downloaded the game update from the other thread. You must note the file name because you will need to know this later. When you open the file it will unarchive it. The unarchive file will have the same file name, but will be a different file type (because it is now unarchived). Double click the unarchived file and it will prompt you to select thesim3.app file. All you do it go to applications, open the sims3 folder, and click on the base game app icon (not generations or late night or anything, the plain green one) and click update. It updated my game and now I can download content directly from online.

Thanks again! This has been going on for months for me and now it works again!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/13/12 04:00 PM

Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
Go to: