Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
My game keeps crashing when trying to save!  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
matthewriley

Hey everyone!

I've been experiencing this problem for a couple months now. I first experienced it a few months ago, didn't care too much, stopped playing the game, hoping an update would come out and fix the issue. When an update finally did come out, I started playing again, but the crashing still took place. I have talked to multiple EA support people online, via email, and thru phone. I have removed cider and preference files, cleared cache, renamed backups, repaired permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled the game on multiple admin accounts, played in windowed mode, and shut down all other processes while playing, still, nothing fixes the issue. The strange part is that sometimes I can save, and sometimes I cannot. Most recently, I thought the issue was fixed when I was able to save 4 times, but on the 5th, it crashed. Has anyone else been experiencing these weird crashes during saving?! Has anyone found a solution? This is very disheartening because I've been playing this same game for 3 years now. I do not want to lose it, or be forced to stop playing/start a new game. Is there any way for me to debug myself? Look at the crash logs, and try to see what might be causing the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Matt
rainstormed

What are the specs of your Mac? How big is your save file? If I'm remembering correctly crashing when saving usually has to do with ram,

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/16/12 03:16 AM

matthewriley

I have 16 GB of RAM.
rainstormed

Ah, then probably not a RAM problem. How large is your save file? Is it just affecting one save, or is it all of them?

Also do you use any third party CC or mods?
matthewriley

The file is probably pretty large. I've been playing the game for almost 3 years now. Couple hundred megs? Seems silly that that would cause such a problem, especially since sometimes it saves and other times doesnt. And the times that it does, the save doesn't take an incredible amount of time to save. Also, I've never been huge on CC or mods, so I don't think that's the issue. At least I can't really think of anything in that area that would be causing it.
rainstormed

Hmm, my best guess is the save file is the problem, especially if you've been playing it for three years. It does seem silly that would cause a problem, but unfortunately it does.

You might try removing all your CC/mods and then try saving. Or start a new test game and save and see if it crashes.
caspinwall

I'm impressed at the idea of playing the same game for three years! I think rainstormed is probably right, a save file of that age probably has accumulated a lot of problems. If you move that save file for that game onto desktop to keep it safe, then start up a new game, do you still have problems with a few file?

How frequently do you save? A few months ago I was playing a pretty large (old) town and I found that it would crash if I forgot to save often enough. Normally I save every 20 minutes (my time not sim time) but I had become engrossed and just forgot. That game was fine was I went back to my normal pattern of frequent saving. Also try "save" then "quit" separately, rather than "save and quit", which I found sometimes took a very long time or would crash.

You mention that you don't use many mods/CC, but do you happen to use Twallan's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods? I ask because, like you, I prefer to play long-term legacy type games and those mods saved (resurrected in fact!) my game when I had lost all hope.
matthewriley

It definitely has something to do with that specific save file. I started a new game yesterday and played for hours, saving often, with no problems. The "bad" save file is only 97 mb though. You'd think that with a game like this where the amount of time you can spend playing is endless, it wouldn't matter how big or how long the game/file is. Especially since it's not even that big, and I have the computer to handle it. And because sometimes it saves, and sometimes it wont. Also, I don't think amount of time between saves is a solution for me because I would test it by opening and saving right away and it would still crash sometimes.

What do the Twallan's Overwatch and ErrorTrap mods do? Will they allow me to play and save my game successfully?

Also, I think this is an issue that EA can fix because multiple other people are experiencing it, in different scenarios, i.e. not everyone has a huge game file:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/0/538807.page#85235
caspinwall

The longer you play one game, the more junk accumulates. For example cars in townies' inventories and all those memories being generated for all sims. Overwatch conducts a sort of tidy-up operation once per sim day to get rid of the junk. ErrorTrap literally traps errors - and sometimes corrects them. Between the two of them, those mods got my game up and running. I also use a mod to suppress the creation of memories, which can keep the file size down. Twallan has that functionality within MasterController, which I don't use, but I have a mod by Shimrod that does the same.

Overwatch and ErrorTrap are very easy to install and use - they run themselves automatically. If you are not averse to using mods, why not try them and then open your old game. You may find that it is resurrected! If not then you haven't lost anything and you can just remove the mods if you decide you don't want to keep using them.
rainstormed

I definitely agree about Twallan's mods. I wouldn't play without them. I personally haven't used ErrorTrap, but Overwatch is a lifesaver. I know at one point it was deleting around 50 excess cars every night!

I agree with caspinwall, give it a try and see what happens. At this point it couldn't hurt.
matthewriley

All I have to do is download the zip files, and move the .package files to the main Sims 3 folder in the EA folder? If so, it didn't work. Game still crashed. But I might've installed it wrong.
caspinwall

matthewriley wrote:All I have to do is download the zip files, and move the .package files to the main Sims 3 folder in the EA folder? If so, it didn't work. Game still crashed. But I might've installed it wrong.

You need to put the package files in the right place and you need an additional file too. If you haven't installed any mods or CC before then you need to do a little setup but it takes only a few moments.

Here is a guide from MTS that includes instructions for Mac users:
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_
Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Essentially you need to create a folder and call it Mods in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3. Within that Mods folder, create a folder and call it Packages. The unzipped files from Nraas go in the Packages folder. You also need to download the resource.cfg file (see the link above) and put that in the Mods folder - so now you will have two items within Mods - the resource.cfg file and the Packages folder containing Overwatch and any other mods you had downloaded.

Now when you start up the game you will know it has worked because you will get a screen coming up listing the mods that you have installed.

Fingers crossed for you!
matthewriley

After I posted my last reply I realized I did it wrong and think I got it working. I did everything you said and got the little dialog box that popped up and told me the mods were there. I can also see the NRaas menu in the game. So is there anything I need to do after that? I waited for the night to go by, thinking all the stuff would be cleaned up, but when I attempted to save, it still crashed, and the file size didn't get any smaller (I checked after it crashed). Do I have to manually clear stuff using the mod?
caspinwall

That is strange. I'm not sure what to do... Overwatch should run automatically at 3.00 am (in sim time). Normally you get a pop-up message that gives a summary of some of the things that have been fixed, for example it might say "30 vehicles were deleted. 7 stereos were turned off" or similar. So at 3.00 am you didn't see any such message?

ErrorTrap may or may not find errors. If it does then there will usually be pop-up messages for those too. Also when you look in Documents in the Sims 3 file there might be files with scripterror in the title, these would be from ErrorTrap.

If you can see the Nraas menu when you click on City Hall or on your sim or on a computer, then I don't know why it isn't doing anything.

We can do a test to make sure Overwatch is operational: try going to Nraas menu then choose Overwatch. From the menu choose Immediate. You'll see a list of the things that the mod tidies. Click on "Clean up vehicles" so that it is highlighted, then run it by clicking the tick. That will make Overwatch run that tidy-up immediately, rather than waiting for 3.00 am. You should get a message about how many cars are being deleted (unless you play a town with no cars!)

Perhaps we're on the wrong track. Any other Mac simmers have any ideas?
matthewriley

I did a quick test, cause I don't have too much time right now, and opened the game, went to the NRaas menu, clicked Immediately, highlighted all the stuff that was "true" and clicked the check mark. Nothing happened after that, not noticeably at least. No additional popup. The box just disappeared. My file size has not decreased either (is that what this will do?). Any ideas? Does this mean its not working/properly installed?

Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
Go to: