Forums  
[line_separator]
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Hottest Topics] Hottest Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to forum index 
Do NOT follow EA's troubleshooting steps for your Mac - your Mac will crash.  XML
Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
BluebellFlora

This thread originated in the Mac forum

These are the first steps EA tell you to do when you contact them. Don't bother:

- If EA's customer support tell you to open Activity Monitor and quit processes - DO NOT DO IT. Your Mac will freeze resulting in you needing to power it off using the Power button which can be harmful.

- They will also tell you to insert the install disc that came with your Mac in order to access Disk Utility. Macs haven't shipped with install discs since Lion came out 18 months ago so if you have a newish Mac you're probably wondering what on earth they're talking about.

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion installed you need to boot into the recovery partition:

1. Turn your Mac off
2. Hold down the Alt key and turn it back on, keeping Alt held down until you see your bootable drives. They will be labelled Macintosh HD and Recovery (and Windows if you have set up Boot Camp).
3. Let go of the Alt key and double click on the Recovery drive to boot into it.
4. Wait for it to boot up then open Disk Utility and Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.
5. Restart your Mac as normal after Disk Utility has finished.

I don't believe that Disk Utility works for Permissions as it doesn't look at anything 3rd party installed on your Mac but just humour them if they tell you to do it.

The most important thing to remember when it comes to the game not working on your Mac is that the majority of problems are Cider related. Whether it's a Memory issue, Save issue, Debug issue, whatever, these are all Cider issues that have been proven by people posting their error logs.

And one last thing to remember, when you look at the system requirements for an EP/SP remember that those requirements are only relevant to the base game and that EP/SP. They do not take into account that you may have other EPs and SPs installed. The more EPs you have installed, the harder the game engine has to work in order to run the game. Therefore you will benefit from more RAM, a more powerful processor and a more powerful graphics card the more you have installed. Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the processor and graphics unless you have a Mac Pro but you will be able to upgrade RAM in an iMac, White Macbook, Aluminium Macbook and all Macbook Pros. If you have a Macbook Air or a Retina Macbook Pro you will not be able to upgrade the RAM.

15"MBP, 2.6Ghz QC i7, NVIDIA 650M 1Gb, 16Gb RAM, OS 10.9
rosidbon

BluebellFlora wrote:
This thread originated in the Mac forum

These are the first steps EA tell you to do when you contact them. Don't bother:

- If EA's customer support tell you to open Activity Monitor and quit processes - DO NOT DO IT. Your Mac will freeze resulting in you needing to power it off using the Power button which can be harmful.

- They will also tell you to insert the install disc that came with your Mac in order to access Disk Utility. Macs haven't shipped with install discs since Lion came out 18 months ago so if you have a newish Mac you're probably wondering what on earth they're talking about.

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion installed you need to boot into the recovery partition:

1. Turn your Mac off
2. Hold down the Alt key and turn it back on, keeping Alt held down until you see your bootable drives. They will be labelled Macintosh HD and Recovery (and Windows if you have set up Boot Camp).
3. Let go of the Alt key and double click on the Recovery drive to boot into it.
4. Wait for it to boot up then open Disk Utility and Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.
5. Restart your Mac as normal after Disk Utility has finished.

I don't believe that Disk Utility works for Permissions as it doesn't look at anything 3rd party installed on your Mac but just humour them if they tell you to do it.

The most important thing to remember when it comes to the game not working on your Mac is that the majority of problems are Cider related. Whether it's a Memory issue, Save issue, Debug issue, whatever, these are all Cider issues that have been proven by people posting their error logs.

And one last thing to remember, when you look at the system requirements for an EP/SP remember that those requirements are only relevant to the base game and that EP/SP. They do not take into account that you may have other EPs and SPs installed. The more EPs you have installed, the harder the game engine has to work in order to run the game. Therefore you will benefit from more RAM, a more powerful processor and a more powerful graphics card the more you have installed. Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the processor and graphics unless you have a Mac Pro but you will be able to upgrade RAM in an iMac, White Macbook, Aluminium Macbook and all Macbook Pros. If you have a Macbook Air or a Retina Macbook Pro you will not be able to upgrade the RAM.

Bluebell, I have a question you might be able to answer.
If CIDER will only allow our Macs to access 2 GB of memory, is there any point in anyone upping the memory from 4GB to 8GB as I did?
Just want to say, as well, that I appreciate your support and knowledge on all the recent post problems.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/28/12 11:24 AM

BluebellFlora

It can access 4Gb - it's a 32 bit program written using Windows XP.

Going from 4Gb to 8Gb will make a difference because the game can have a full 4Gb if it wants it. And for those with the Intel 3000 or 4000 graphics it will up the VRAM to 512Mb from 384Mb which will help.

Anything over 8Gb won't make any difference at all to the game but will overall if you have multiple Apps open.

jooliea

I nearly choked when I read their instructions to quit every process except for Dock/Finder/Loginwindow/Activity Monitor. I seriously could not believe my eyes.

Thank you for posting this warning, BluebellFlora.
rosidbon

Bump.
EnCroix

I might add that they tell you to delete your World Cache files when you contact them as well, which if I recall correctly, requires you to reinstall these worlds if you do it on a mac?

It's safe on Windows, but I've heard it isn't on mac.
yoda65

Thank you for posting this BluebellFlora. ^_^
Problems arise, in fact, as soon as you install too many things in the game!
I run mine fine for now with a vanilla install: I reset all the game and added less Store items, and now it's fine, with help of some NRaas mods. :p
Good luck everyone!

VRAM:512 Mo
RAM: 12 Go
Imac with Mac Os 10.6.8

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 11/29/12 07:53 PM

BluebellFlora

yoda65

EnCroix wrote:I might add that they tell you to delete your World Cache files when you contact them as well, which if I recall correctly, requires you to reinstall these worlds if you do it on a mac?

I ask myself the same question!? I play a new World, forgot my saved games, because I was afraid to use them again not sure it works better if you delete your World Cache files?

JordieLynn

So does Seasons work if you uninstall some other EP's? I have a lot of them installed but wouldn't mind uninstalling a few to play Seasons. Does this mean that its because of our Macs and not EA? Or is this just a fix until they put out a real solution?
BluebellFlora

JordieLynn wrote:So does Seasons work if you uninstall some other EP's? I have a lot of them installed but wouldn't mind uninstalling a few to play Seasons. Does this mean that its because of our Macs and not EA? Or is this just a fix until they put out a real solution?

No one knows why. For some the game works, for the majority it doesn't. The best suggestion is to read some of the other threads and make your own decision.

Snapdragon

EnCroix wrote:I might add that they tell you to delete your World Cache files when you contact them as well, which if I recall correctly, requires you to reinstall these worlds if you do it on a mac?

The world cache files from the InstalledWorlds folder in Documents should be safe to delete on Macs. At least they were in the past. But if you don't play in a custom or Store world it is pointless to delete them as these caches are only used for those.
If you're afraid to do so, why not place them outside their folder, start the game, and if it crashes, put them back?
Minkle

I have to say BluebellFlora you've been really helpful on these threads. And I also appreciate the website you have since you know a lot more about Macs than I do (only a user for 5 months). Do you have a preference on which version of Windows 7 to install on Boot Camp (32bit or 64bit)?

MinkleTheSims : My Sims Tumblr Page
MelanieSimlish

Thank you so much! I'm kind of a computer-dunce and I almost did the first one, but I had a bad feeling about it so I stopped. I'm SO glad I didn't do it!

rosidbon

Bump

Post Reply Forum Index » Mac Discussions
Go to: